• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
A day late here, but Star Fox Adventures just passed its 18 year anniversary on the Gamecube!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A day late here, but Star Fox Adventures just passed its 18 year anniversary on the Gamecube!

Our girl Krystal is officially adult.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Makes me think it would be great to see Isabelle in a Star Fox game in some way. Think of all the Animal Crossing fans who could be introduced to Star Fox! You could even have the Star Fox team appear as NPCs in an Animal Crossing event or something using their original Lylat speech
That would be cool!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Just wanted to post some thoughts.

So we all know that Steve made it in, but there's something more concerning. If he was added, does this mean that the rest of the characters will be these big name newcomers?

After his reveal I honestly felt a somewhat sick after thinking about it. If true, that means that Krystal's (and other characters) chances took a huge hit that they didn't need. It's scary to think about.

Regardless I'll still hope until the finish and maybe even a third pass?

Stay strong out there.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Just wanted to post some thoughts.

So we all know that Steve made it in, but there's something more concerning. If he was added, does this mean that the rest of the characters will be these big name newcomers?

After his reveal I honestly felt a somewhat sick after thinking about it. If true, that means that Krystal's (and other characters) chances took a huge hit that they didn't need. It's scary to think about.

Regardless I'll still hope until the finish and maybe even a third pass?

Stay strong out there.
I agree. After hearing that negotiations for Steve getting into Smash was discuss as far back as 5 years ago when the Smash Ballot was going on, it has given me more hope for the rest of the popular Ballot requests like Krystal, Shantae, and Shovel Knight. This news is a HUGE plus for popular Ballot picks that ain't in yet.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I agree. After hearing that negotiations for Steve getting into Smash was discuss as far back as 5 years ago when the Smash Ballot was going on, it has given me more hope for the rest of the popular Ballot requests like Krystal, Shantae, and Shovel Knight. This news is a HUGE plus for popular Ballot picks that ain't in yet.
"Big names"=/=got lots of ballot votes. However, I would not fret over this pass being full of huge icons. They wouldn't start a pass like that with Min Min.

Last edited:

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
"Big names"=/=got lots of ballot votes. However, I would not fret over this pass being full of huge icons. They wouldn't start a pass like that with Min Min.
Min Min was still a new series though. Like I don't think more reps for franchises already in are going to happen unless you're Fire Emblem or Pokemon. I hope I'm wrong.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
A little late on this, but Sakurai posted a tweet commemorating Star Fox 2's official release date on SNES classic yesterday!

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
Show your support for Krystal in Smash here!
For anyone who hasn't heard of this site yet, all the characters on here are added and voted on by the Smash community. Let's see if we can get her past 200 votes in the next few days

EDIT: from 170-something to 212, hit that target! Krystal's done reasonably well in this, hopefully as more discover the site she'll skip over some of the others on the roster

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So someone by the name of ShadowSnake on Twitter is currently working on a Krystal mod for Ultimate and it looks very promising:

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
So someone by the name of ShadowSnake on Twitter is currently working on a Krystal mod for Ultimate and it looks very promising:

That's some amazing, assuring news. Feel like a huge load was taken off my shoulders with this.

Hope this gets finished.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Welp, so that trailer shown off I do have a few points I want to bring up.

Getting another character from an already established franchise is still possible, which is a huge plus.

This might be my bias speaking, but Krystal has been thought of for smash in almost the same vein as Sephiroth. Known as a good candidate, but mostly forgotten for the main popular picks. She also has a ton of potential for a crazy and new moveset just like him too. She doesn't need to be an echo either.

Whatever happens I'm still here to support. I'm going to love Sephiroth but I'm still holding out for our favorite girl. Seph has me ecstatic, but if Krystal is revealed you might have to visit me in the hospital.

Wolf came back, so I'm just going to keep holding on for the other half of the dream.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Tinfoil hat theory coming up here: But have you guys notice Fighter's Pass 2 has been nothing but fan rule breakers?

Min Min=first ever Spirit promotion.

Steve=first ever fully western rep that was associated with Japan.

Sephiroth=first ever unique non Echo secondary 3rd party rep as well as first ever 3rd party villain rep.

Pretty much 4 big fan rules died within the span of 3 character reveals. What other fan rule is left to destroy? The Assist Trophy barrier. I definitely believe it's going to happen. It likely could be Waluigi or Isaac instead because of their current popularity, but I wouldn't rule Krystal out being the first one that breaks that barrier as she was one of the top requests in Brawl and the Smash Ballot. If not a new Star Fox game with her in it, than I could see the Smash Ballot being the key that get's her promoted over the rest.

Last edited:

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
It's been a while since I visited here, and suddenly there's dozens of obscure characters that are bumped up to the front of the board. Some of them even seem like joke threads. Did I miss something, or did the unexpected Sephiroth announcement really throw people for that big of a loop?

In regards to Krystal being one of the last few options for Fighter Pass... I dunno. I would love that to be the case, no doubt, but I figure at this point they're purely focused on third party mega names, and Krystal would probably be too controversial and obscure a pick compared to someone like Master Chief or Crash or whoever. I want to hold out hope, but I think Krystal being announced would be so shocking that it would cause more of a stir for being an AT upgrade within a Smash entry itself, rather than her being hugely desired (besides fans like me of course).

Just for fun, here's my speculation on the likelihood of the remaining DLC characters, mostly based on Smash Ballot or longtime fan requests:

Sora - Unlikely. Probably a no-go because Sephiroth just got in.
Geno - Unlikely. Same thing. I doubt they'd do two Square reps in one Pass.
Shantae - Possible. There was a Smash symbol reference in the anime intro for Seven Sirens. If Steve took years to finalize, I could see a similar time frame.
Krystal - Possible. Sure she's an AT, but it's her Adventures model. They could use her Assault design or redesign her like Wolf. Just deactivate her AT when she's playable in battle. They do that with other ATs for various reasons.
Rex or Elma - Very Likely. Sakurai is a huge Xenoblade fan and opined he didn't get Rex in the base game. Plus it's another anime sword fighter.
Crash or Spyro- Very Likely. They're considered old Playstation mascots and more Western reps are needed. Biggest barrier is Activision being stingy.
Dante, Doom Slayer, Master Chief, Kratos, etc. - All of the more realistically-designed, M-rated game characters feel like odd choices. It's possible (anything is now it seems), but reeks of Playstation All Stars-style weird mish-mashing of art styles. Even if they were Smashified, they would probably feel out of place.

It's also entirely likely Sakurai pulls another Pirahna Plant and puts in a character for himself, like Bandana Waddle Dee or something, like a self-pat on the back for finishing this massive project. In fact, I would not be surprised if the final DLC character is something he does for himself. Or another Fire Emblem rep.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
It's been a while since I visited here, and suddenly there's dozens of obscure characters that are bumped up to the front of the board. Some of them even seem like joke threads. Did I miss something, or did the unexpected Sephiroth announcement really throw people for that big of a loop?

In regards to Krystal being one of the last few options for Fighter Pass... I dunno. I would love that to be the case, no doubt, but I figure at this point they're purely focused on third party mega names, and Krystal would probably be too controversial and obscure a pick compared to someone like Master Chief or Crash or whoever. I want to hold out hope, but I think Krystal being announced would be so shocking that it would cause more of a stir for being an AT upgrade within a Smash entry itself, rather than her being hugely desired (besides fans like me of course).

Just for fun, here's my speculation on the likelihood of the remaining DLC characters, mostly based on Smash Ballot or longtime fan requests:

Sora - Unlikely. Probably a no-go because Sephiroth just got in.
Geno - Unlikely. Same thing. I doubt they'd do two Square reps in one Pass.
Shantae - Possible. There was a Smash symbol reference in the anime intro for Seven Sirens. If Steve took years to finalize, I could see a similar time frame.
Krystal - Possible. Sure she's an AT, but it's her Adventures model. They could use her Assault design or redesign her like Wolf. Just deactivate her AT when she's playable in battle. They do that with other ATs for various reasons.
Rex or Elma - Very Likely. Sakurai is a huge Xenoblade fan and opined he didn't get Rex in the base game. Plus it's another anime sword fighter.
Crash or Spyro- Very Likely. They're considered old Playstation mascots and more Western reps are needed. Biggest barrier is Activision being stingy.
Dante, Doom Slayer, Master Chief, Kratos, etc. - All of the more realistically-designed, M-rated game characters feel like odd choices. It's possible (anything is now it seems), but reeks of Playstation All Stars-style weird mish-mashing of art styles. Even if they were Smashified, they would probably feel out of place.

It's also entirely likely Sakurai pulls another Pirahna Plant and puts in a character for himself, like Bandana Waddle Dee or something, like a self-pat on the back for finishing this massive project. In fact, I would not be surprised if the final DLC character is something he does for himself. Or another Fire Emblem rep.
That's what I was thinking: that the last few dlc picks would be huge name characters to wow everyone like Seph.

But there is one thing, where was Sephiroth's vocal fanbase? We've haven't heard much talk at all about him until his reveal. I do love having him in, but I truly believed he wouldn't make it.

Krystal is in a similar boat, not talked about much but could happen. There are no rules at all keeping characters out like the AT rule. At this point who knows? But I'm going to keep showing support regardless of what happens.

In the off chance she makes it in and gets a cool redesign like Wolf, then Smash would be complete for me.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
That's what I was thinking: that the last few dlc picks would be huge name characters to wow everyone like Seph.

But there is one thing, where was Sephiroth's vocal fanbase? We've haven't heard much talk at all about him until his reveal. I do love having him in, but I truly believed he wouldn't make it.

Krystal is in a similar boat, not talked about much but could happen. There are no rules at all keeping characters out like the AT rule. At this point who knows? But I'm going to keep showing support regardless of what happens.

In the off chance she makes it in and gets a cool redesign like Wolf, then Smash would be complete for me.
Sephiroth was not a highly requested character afaik, so it was very surprising to see him show up. Took everyone off guard because they were expecting Dante or Crash or something. I imagine part of the issue of doing these big third party characters is that the licensing is so complicated, regardless of how enthusiastic the third parties can be.

Also I just saw that Geno is a Mii Fighter costume again. Looks like Sephiroth being playable did indeed indicate Geno wouldn't be playable. Putting him as a fighter costume in his pack makes sense, too.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I didn't say it was how they are chosen. And Banjo isn't exactly popular in Japan, either.
Banjo was decently popular by Japanese standards. Spyro was so negatively received due to the gameplay being botched for Japanese players that they didn't bother localizing any more games beyond Spyro 2.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
Don't feel too bad, Krystal fans

You're not the only Brawl era fan request being continuously left out each installment

View attachment 296072
Geno fans know our pain. But at least he's playable in a sense, officially. I can't imagine Geno as an original fighter would look or play terribly distinctly from a Mii Fighter costume (please don't hate me). I'm guessing licensing issues come into play for him, which there's really no barrier with for Krystal.

Top Bottom