• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunting with Samus- A Guide by Hive

Hive

Smash Lord
You've probably came to this thread for two reasons:
1. You are learning samus and want to understand one of her most useful advanced techniques...
or 2. You have just beaten someone in a game paused it, and are now wondering what you should do with the remaing 1 and a half seconds before your opponent flies off into space.
In either case, this guide is for you. :)
The basics:
up taunt- samus swipes her hand, jet pack goes off ... meh
side taunt- samus' arm comes apart... it looks pretty kwl
down taunt- samus seems to be confused and turns around looking like an idiot
when to use: because after you stock an opponent you will most likely be charging your beam... its hard to find times to use your taunt mindgames..ending a game is really one of the only times to use this technique...
before you begin you should practice the feel of the d-pad, its located below the analog (yes, that thing actually does something)... if you are a sonic, pikachu or Jiggls main, this should already be second nature to you...
Taunting precisely and efficiently is key to ending any samus match... it can leave your opponents thinking "hey she knows how to kick a**" or "her match was kwl, but then I lost all respect for her at the end" (note: equivalent to wario farting a ko)
now practice hitting right on the d-pad... samus should do her kwl arm taunt!
now hit left... same thing!. Notice how much closure it gives to a match? Note: Be careful not to hit down on the d-pad. If you have accidentally hit this button... STOP. Your Samus looks like a pu**y

Alternate Taunts
Alternate taunts are taunts that don't require a single use of the d-pad
Some notable examples are:
Dedede's -"playa' pose"
Jigglypuff to shieldbreak- "jihad"
and Ganondorf' -"doing just about anything"
Samus too has alternate taunts (or ATs since the abbreviation is open)
-For those of you who play soul calibur you'll be glad to know jumping off a ledge after (hopefully :/) someone is STILL an acceptable taunt
-Using the name "Tudor" at the beginning of the match is an automatic taunt... but also, and unfortunately, an automatic john for your opponent. However its still one of the few ways to combat looking douchey using d-taunts
-Shieldbreaking yourself is pretty kwl with samus... she looks like she's wasted...
Doing it in front of Onett's "Drug Store" sign is a bonus point.
-Unplugging an opponents controller mid-match... and then telling them "no johns" is definitely a taunt... and also pretty funny
ZSS Transformation
Is accomplished by rapidly hitting up then down and then up again on the d-pad..... supposedly <.<
I can never get this dumb thing to work :p
By doing this transformation you see a pretty shiny implosion thingy... but then as you start to get your hopes up ...you realize samus has shed most of her awesomeness and remaining is the degenerate clump that is ZSS.*
Good:
-shiny implosion
-If you opponent isn't dead already... you will be. A fitting punishment for switching away from samus.
Bad:
-ZSS
-Flinging junk at people

*- I'm just kidding, ZSS is my second and I ♥ her ^^
edit* forgive me ...the boards were dead :/

Eva01

Smash Cadet
I personally use the up taunt, especially against falcon players to mock the show me your move salute. Normally I just time a charge shot to go off at the slow-mo ending tho.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
I usually use the up taunt in slo-mo at the end of matches as kind of a 'slit your throat' gesture. I try to time it so the slow-mo arm swipe ends when it says "GAME." Good stuff.

Eva01

Smash Cadet
Down taunt is only good if you use it right as the match ends so it looks like she's just aiming the gun in one direction. I never thought it was horrible but certainly prefer the others to it. And yes, I learned the hard was that using the zamus taunt isn't good between stocks, got KO'd during change over cause it takes such a horrendous amount of time.

Hive

Smash Lord
lol even if I started the transformation at the beginning of the match I don't think I could pull it off ; ;
@smash phoenix- kk ;) I'll write on zss transformation

Eva01

Smash Cadet
Nah you gotta wait for a star KO and begin as soon as they are being sent upwards. If you get the timing right you'll get the transformation(hopefully) but you'll also get a fully charged Fsmash in the face for you trouble. Life isn't always fair and difficulty isn't always rewarding but a pumped up Ike smash will always pack a punch.

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
Sure Samus's Down Taunt makes her look confused if it's used against a single opponent.
But Samus's Down Taunt is meant to be used when Samus is in the middle of two opponents against all odds.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I personally find up taunt to be her best. Slick and quick, as if she's saying "You're done," or "It's over."
I like her down taunt. I like the way she looks one way and the other, as if she's saying, "Who's next?" My brother made a video on YouTube showing how to recover better as Ness, and I was helping him out. At the end, we both taunted, and my brother put an annotation that said, "Can't touch this!"

Hive

Smash Lord
alright then... for the record what is your guys' favorite taunt? Least Fave?
(up, side, down)

edit: I don't actually hate any of her taunts lol I'm just having fun ^^

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
My favorite taunt is the Melee/64 one, and I'm pissed as hell they got rid of it.

Aran

Smash Apprentice
Same! I love that taunt...

But as for Brawl, I'd have to go with Dryn and say the down taunt is my favorite.

Hive

Smash Lord
forgot? lol
I wish they kept melee samus' taunt too ; ;
<shakes fist at sky> is there no bounds to your betrayel sakurai?!

Hive

Smash Lord
i forgot i've never taunted ever in my life ^^
lol pikachu is the funnest to taunt with hands down... she/he? says her name like every attack lol
in melee... I'd say that's close to the ONLY thing I did with pikachu.... especially in hyrule... its funny seeing all the other players stop and unite together for a just cause

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
My tendency, actually, if I play Samus is to charge the power beam even if I finished the match.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
My tendency, actually, if I play Samus is to charge the power beam even if I finished the match.
Yeah, I do the same. While my opponent is screaming in the background on their last stock, I just charge my Ownage Beam. I mainly taunt in a ranked match only if these two requirements are met:

1.) Beam already charged.
2.) Opponent's playstyle is lousy IMO.

I do it Melee CPU style. Just stand there and wait (for the star KO), and as soon as you hear the *DING*, taunt.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
HEY!! I've came up with the best taunt ever..
And it fits PERFECT with Samus:

Push the controll stick a little, little to the left, then to the right.. pretty fast,
but not too fast.
It takes timing to master..
You can even move Samus at the time by holding left or right a millesecond longer during every little tilt..

left>right>left>right>left>right>left>right>

Practice!
Very funny, and pretty good for mindgames too! O_O

Top Bottom