• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap jumping to Button Jumping

DrumBeater02

Smash Rookie
I would like to transition from tapping up on the analog stick to jump to instead pressing x or y to be able to execute attacks faster and smoother, any tips?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Stop using tap jump entirely; don't try to wean yourself off it. Play lots of games where you're consciously looking out for it, and don't worry about anything else while you're trying to switch. Have lots of dedicated practice sessions for tech which includes jumping. Use a mod (such as the one included in the 20XX hack pack) to disable tap jumping if you want.

Last edited:

DrumBeater02

Smash Rookie
I am already doing a lot of consciously avoiding tapping and I don't have 20XX to disable.

Edit: How exactly do you get 20XX and add it to your game

Last edited:

PK Kenta

Smash Rookie
NNID
Herobrine77235
And once you stop using tap jump , up tilt will be difficult to do at first. Just slightly push the analog stick up when you try to execute a up tilt.

notkaleb

Smash Rookie
the best thing to do is just to grind jumping using your button of choice until it becomes muscle memory. to do this you cant just ween yourself off of tap jumping, youll have to abandon it completely from the get go. go to training (if youre using vanilla preferrably 2 player against a lvl 1 cpu so you can use the c stick for aerials unless you use 20XX then you can c stick aerial in training) and repeatedly practice short hopping. Once youve got the hang of that try throwing aerials into the mix until you can perform them quickly and consistently. Once you can perform short hop aerials consistently, it's time for the implementation. Practice using them against a cpu (or a friend) until its second nature. Bam, youre a button-jumping machine. Getting the hang of it WILL take time, and it will feel weird and uncomfortable at first. It took me a few days of grinding to get used to it. All it takes is patience. GRIND GRIND GRIND! also dont forget fast-falling and l-canceling, but i wouldnt recommend practicing those until youve gotten comfortable.

Top Bottom