• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump, Pros and Cons

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
So I was playing Dedede and I took tap jump off to make his up-tilt easier. With tap jump off, it's annoying to do his down-b and jump around to hit things. I was wondering what most people do-tap jump on or off. Is it worth sacrificing what's been imprinted from the melee days for a better shot at up-tilt's? :dizzy:

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I turned it off so I can do utilts easier. I used to always jump->uair by accident. Of course it doesn't make that large of a difference. It's just that Falco's utilt is much better than his usmash for starting juggle combos.

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
Ok, thanks for the imput. I'll probably stick to using tap jump on, just because of its familiarity.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Not that I'm an expert on anything, but I've always left Tap Jump on because I assumed it allowed for quicker button pressings and less time moving your fingers around the controller (as much of a tiny delay that would be).

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I used the very same logic for keeping tap jump on. Unless I want to map jump to Z or A on the game cube controller (or some other odd combination), non-tap jumping becomes quite difficult when charging the Jet Hammer.

At the same time, Dedede has very impressive tilts, so I have mapped c-stick to normal attacks in order to have access to them quickly and reliably.

Besides, it's not like Dedede's smash attacks are fast enough for c-stick usage to matter. Running and then doing an up smash isn't different from running and c-stick up smash due to both Dedede's slow running and speed and the relatively slow speed of the up smash.

I think keeping tap jumping off is really a matter of the character. Fox, for example, probably wants to keep it on so he can up smash out of his shield.

TickleMePick1e

Smash Cadet
no my friend do it i have been playing halo for 7 years from halo 1 to halo 3 i have always know b button to be pistol whip but about a month ago i changed my controls so that rb is melee now and i play better point is it will only take a week to get used to the controls and if u like his up tilt so much then it is worth it

OneUp

Smash Rookie
By tap jump do you mean using the analog stick to jump? I've always wanted to get rid of that but didn't think it was possible.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
The only thing bad about taking off tap jump is that you can't do up+B out of shield, which is pretty useful for some characters..
It is still possible to do it, but you have to jump with another button and then do up + b, and it's really wierd lol

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
The only thing bad about taking off tap jump is that you can't do up+B out of shield, which is pretty useful for some characters..
It is still possible to do it, but you have to jump with another button and then do up + b, and it's really wierd lol
Never thought about this. Wow...this is a pretty in depth thing. I had mine off, but now I'm not as sure. I'll probably end up keep it off though, because the second jump while doing a uair is just too frustrating.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
I have it off at the moment. It makes Utilt much easier but UpB out of a shield much harder. :ohwell:

One thing I noticed is that it seems very easy to use Uair with Metaknight and chase the opponent at the same time by holding up if you leave tap jump on. I hardly play Metaknight so it doesn't affect me much, but it may be worth thinking about. It may have similar effects on other characters with multiple jumps, but I haven't tried it.

Tyrael64

Smash Journeyman
I keep it on for Lucario's Riverdance. It's a little thing where you tap up to jump a TINY bit off the ground, then immediately press C-stick downwards, with the two going in rapid succession, so it sounds a bit like "ClaClack". If done right, he hops about an inch off the ground and does his Dair.

The Riverdance is great for edgeguarding ledgehoggers.

Supax

Smash Apprentice
I main TL and I keep it off for various reasons... TL doesn't really need to up+b out of shields, and his u-tilt is pretty useful at times, so I'd rather have it off.. For me it just seems like the pros out weigh the cons.. But if I played Marth I would want to keep it on to up+b out of shield and Fox I would want to keep it on to u-smash out of shield. For TL, there is really no reason for me to keep it on though.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Lol, TL is the reason I decided to keep tap jump on. I couldn't Up-B out of shield <_<

Seriously, just practice U-tilts more, because Tap jump is actually useful sometimes.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
With tap jump on, you can jump cancel out of shield into Usmash or UpB. In Brawl, tap jump is also the only way to force a short hop by immediately C-sticking thereafter (as I recall).

Tap jump off is more of a preference. For instance, if you're like me and have never been able to tilt up without tapping, then it's a boon for you, just at the expense of the above. Thankfully, I play a character where it's not that necessary. And when I do, I generally just switch names.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
what you can do is, goto practice mode and train with the tilts. practice dashing then utilts at least 10-20 times until you get it . it took at least 40 minutes to get edge vanish down. i utilt and usmash without jumping ^_^

LOST_815

Smash Cadet
When I first got Brawl, I turned it off, but I quickly turned it back on. I've been imprinted from melee and i didn't realize how much I actually used it.

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
Mapping c-stick to attack is more efficient becuase I have no problem excecuting uncharged smashes without c mapping. so yay.

Tsuki

Smash Apprentice
I put it off because i main ness and since there's no more DJC its so much easier to juggle with the uair without wasting your djump

LouBega

Smash Journeyman
i took tap jump off immediately and could never do up b out of sheilds. i just assumed it was a new thing in brawl, now i'm turning tap jump back on.

i guess i'll just have to get better at tilts.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
Could someone please explain exactly what "up B out of shield" actually means? Being new to the online community, I'm having trouble interpreting this term.

I'm confused as to how jumping with the joystick helps you perform your up B move. I'm obviously missing something here.

Thanks guys.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
I believe up B out of shield means that you use your up B (control stick up + B move) after shielding. And yeah, it takes a while to understand terms. Like u tilt = up tilt A move (attack).

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
I believe up B out of shield means that you use your up B (control stick up + B move) after shielding. And yeah, it takes a while to understand terms. Like u tilt = up tilt A move (attack).
Thanks for your input.

I'm inclined to agree with you assessment based on literal wording but I suspect that this isn't what is meant. My question of how jumping with the joystick aids up B still stumps me.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
I decided I would just use my x button and A button to do up smashes, like for Ike when I turn around and up smash, or when I do it out of a shield. I am starting to use Marth more, and it is difficult to hit jump and b at the same time. I am considering trying out z for jump, then I could keep tap jump off.

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
I believe up B out of shield means that you use your up B (control stick up + B move) after shielding.
It's not after shielding. You are still holding the shield when you press up and B. You can jump straight out of shield while still holding it and you can cancel your jump to either uB or up smash. With tap jump this is easiest since you just have tap you analong up and press either A or B.

I personally have turned tap jump off since I never bothered learning do u tilts and uairs without any accidental jumps (even though I shoud have and still should since I'm not quiting Melee). I rather suffer from harder uBs and up smashes out of shield than have accidental jumps here and there. Up smash is still very easy to use since Y is so close to A. UB is a bit harder but I've changed R to jump (never used it for shielding) myself so even that is not that huge of a problem anymore.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
Ah yeah, sorry about my phrasing, I meant out of the shield. Anyway I leave mine off since it's easier to Cromslide without it on.

Finch

Smash Lord
Could someone please explain exactly what "up B out of shield" actually means? Being new to the online community, I'm having trouble interpreting this term.

I'm confused as to how jumping with the joystick helps you perform your up B move. I'm obviously missing something here.

Thanks guys.
Throughout smash history, and this remains true in brawl, there have always been two ways to let go of your shield. The first is simply to let go of a button, which produces slight lag in between the shield dropping and you being able to perform an action. The second way is to jump, meaning pressing jump while holding the shield button, and you will jump out of your shield with 0 frames of lag. Because of this, people learned that pressing up gets rid of the shield immediately, and as a result allows a few actions to be performed straight oos (out of shield). These include jumping and doing an aerial, upsmashing, up Bing, and wavedashing in melee. Obviously wavedashing is no longer possible in brawl, but for certain characters like Toon Link and Fox upB and upsmash out of shield are very important, and thus it's better to keep tap jump on for most characters.

Nemireck

Smash Cadet
Brawl's tap-jump seems much more sensitive than Melee's, so I turned it off. I played 2 matches as Marth and by the 4th time I was accidently double-jumping trying his SH Fair I said "Screw This" and went into controller options to remove it. I've always WANTED to remove it anyway, but in SSB64 and Melee it wasn't as sensitive.

PROS to removing:

No more accidental jumps while attempting U-Smash and U-Tilt
No more accidental double-jumps while trying to do air maneuvers

CONS:

You can't do your U-B out of a shield (actually you can, but you need to move your thumb really fast, or set jump to Z, L or R, then you just hold up while shielding, then hit jump followed very quickly by B)
If you've learned to play using the tilt-jump, it will ruin your reflexes for a bit.
I don't have any more cons

Since both Cons are a matter of skill rather than options being removed, I feel that learning to play without tap-jump is much more beneficial. If just ONE avoidable death can be negated with the removal of tap-jump, then removing it is always a good thing. Obviously, I feel that accidental jumps are much more damaging to my game than not being able to easily up-B out of a shield.

whoady4shoady

Smash Apprentice
Not that I'm an expert on anything, but I've always left Tap Jump on because I assumed it allowed for quicker button pressings and less time moving your fingers around the controller (as much of a tiny delay that would be).

Put jump or the R button and you will never have this problem.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the information guys. I appreciate it. I've tried it out myself now and it does indeed cut out shield lag.

But now I have another question. Why is this so important for certain characters? The lag is such a small fraction of time I can't really see it being much of a problem.

Top Bottom