• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump on or off?

Tap Jump on or off?

• Total voters

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
I prefer off. I'm curious to know what you guys use.

TheCometCE

Smash Rookie
i've seen players use both, i prefer up jump since it's the usual for fighting games, but i can see the appeal on press jump, makes up tilts easier to execute.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I went through a phase where I turned it off, but eventually put it back on in case I ever get back into Melee. Since then I have realized a lot of Squirtle tech is easier with tap jump and DJCs are almost mindless.

I still turn it off for Mewtwo though.

Celestis

Smash Ace
On, because its how it is in Melee, and I don't want to be used to it off and start jumping unintentionally in Melee. I never use tap jump, but yeah..

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

ive gone back to on, because melee. but it messes with my GaW (i burn the double accidentally sometimes when i want to save it for post Upb.

Messes with Di Up if you mistime too.

but UpB and up smash oos with samus too good. (i have special on R, so i could up b oos anyway, but, going back to melee it wrecks me)

Last edited:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
ive gone back to on, because melee. but it messes with my GaW (i burn the double accidentally sometimes when i want to save it for post Upb.
That's the only reason I put in off. It's pretty hard to save the second jump with the Up B if Tap Jump is on.

For the others I use the Tap regularly, specially Ike.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I keep it on bcuz Melee, but I only ever use it occasionally. Like for up-air strings with MK or sometimes for my aerial jump with any character if I want to c-stick really quickly after jumping.

Kati

Smash Lord
If it screws up your tilts, you are probably tilting wrong.

Unless you character has some super specific quirk that requires it to be off, you should have it on. The majority of the cast benefits from it. Link and Samus have a nice upb oos, whereas characters like Falcon and Sheik can do rising aerials.

Kidneyjoe

Smash Cadet
Well technically having tap jump off doesn't prevent you from using up b oos or doing rising aerials. You can hit b with your thumb as you flick the c-stick up, while also flicking the control stick up, in order to up b oos. You can simply rock the joint of your thumb back onto the a button after pressing y with the tip to do a rising aerial. That said, anyone planning on going back and forth between PM and Melee should probably leave tap jump on to avoid getting used to sloppy up tilts and having it bite them in the ass later.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I was about to say, C-Stick to UpB and UpSmash OoS. And the only Squirtle tech I have trouble executing would be TACUS (or whatever you want to call it). Having tap jump turned off actually lets you get a turn around hydroplane without the C-Stick method as well, so there are benefits.

It all really comes down to personal preference though.

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
I turn tap jump off, but use Z for jump. Perfect replacement. Doesn't hinder my options.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
I use R as an extra jump button, so all I have to do for OoS UpSmash or UpB is Press R while doing the input to avoid the need for tap jump.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Having it off limits your options really hard in a lot of situations. I have a seperate control scheme with it off for just Mewtwo though.

Magnum_

PM Justice Build Creator
Totally depends on the character. Characters like Link, it becomes much easier to use grounded up-b's without jumping on accident.
Up tilts are also way easier to use.

$alsa

Smash Cadet
NNID
itzall1848
I keep it on because it helps me be more specific with my analogue stick so I can use tilts properly and not accidentally smash.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I find tap jump useful for some characters, but my two mains Lucario and Zero don't benefit from it, so I have it off on most of my tags.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
of course it's on

how else would I use tap jump as my primary jump method

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
The only time I ever have it off is when I play Tink, so I can AGT properly. Other than that, it's always on for me. Usmash/UpB/Wavedash OoS and all that jazz.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Can you still DACUS with it off? (C-Stick Down, Hold Up, Press Z method)

And always off, it helped me learn and not eat a jump for tilts and air normals. I DJC by pressing Y Twice well timed, but i def. see how tapping up then pressing Y/X would be easier.

Foo

Smash Lord
I leave it on mostly because it feels more natural. Moving the stick up out of a dash allows me to time it much better. I tried turning it off, but I kept mistiming my jumps for the combo. It also makes up-B boosting as ZSS much-much-much easier. That being said, I use y to jump mostly. shffling/wavedashing or just shorthopping in general is all done with y, but if I'm recovering or comboing into a fair, bair, or upair, I use the stick.

For everyone who says it's really hard to uptilt with tap jump on, just tilt the stick a little... I mean, do you struggle to ftilt without dash attacking? The only problem I have with tap jump is being unable to up on ZSS without jumping unless I am on the ground or I "buffer" into it. (meaning I preform another action first, hold up during that action, then just hit once the time is right.)

Cup Noodles

Smash Cadet
It was hard getting used to at first, but I personally keep mine off because I feel the switching up of playstyle will help improve my over all skill in SSB. It's different, and being able to quickly adapt to a method of change in button combinations can help make a person better. It's just how I see it.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Hate using AGT with it on. Other than that, I really don't have any issues with Up B/USmash OoS or meteor cancels. I can't really compute the idea of pressing up to jump in my head so it makes way more sense to just do a combination of buttons. I also have an odd grip.

It doesn't really matter if it is on or off if you are precise with your input, but you might as well keep it on so you have the option of using it. If you are bad at tilting then you should keep it off.

Ionsword

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ionsword
I keep it off when I play as Kirby and Zelda and sometimes when I'm off my tag I keep it on

Last edited:
Top Bottom