• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump gets a bad rap.

hot_sexy_mario

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty new to playing Melee at a competitive level, and since I don't have anyone nearby to play with, I've just been practicing tech skill with a bunch of different characters.

I think using the analog stick to jump is underrated (from what I've seen). I mean, it comes down to preference, but if you're not using claw grip, tap jump opens up a lot of options. For one, you can actually do rising aerials. Two, I've found I can do Doc's full hop pill to waveland a lot more easily. Three, it makes SHDL a lot easier. Well, the list goes on; pretty much anything that involves jumping and your right hand. I can also do one-hand wavedashes with Fox, but I haven't found a use for that yet.

If you're having trouble with certain tech, give tap jump a shot. It's been working for me.

Y-L

Smash Champion
It also limits your aerial mobility considering you have to hold up instead of being able to hold horizontally..

hot_sexy_mario

Smash Rookie
It also limits your aerial mobility considering you have to hold up instead of being able to hold horizontally..
Yeah, that's the part that sucks. Although you lose less speed if you tap diagonally so that you still keep some of the horizontal direction. It's also less noticeable with characters that naturally retain a lot of momentum when they jump, like Falcon, especially if you're just shorthopping. With Sheik, it's not so useful.

Last edited:

Vizc

Smash Rookie
If you find a way to do something without flaws or drawbacks that lose the game, go for it.

I personally just like having a jump button, used to hate 2D fighters for up being the jump input.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I personally just like having a jump button, used to hate 2D fighters for up being the jump input.
OMG! So THAT'S why l suck on SF.

I actually use all the jump options. Y to multi shine with Fox. Tap to WD OoS. C-Stick to buffer jump out of shield stun and X for the rest.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I don't use tap jump much at all but I do use it for ledge stalling and quick attacks from the ledge

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think buttons are generally better because they give you more control (especially when you're in the air) but some of the most technical players in the world have been tap-jumpers (Lovage, for instance) and I use it for certain actions (u-smash OOS, for instance) so there's definitely merit to it.

Bacon&Eggs

Smash Cadet
Things that I were taught to use tap jump for are usmash out of shield and dash (tap jump immediately followed by c-stick up). I have also heard of people using tap jump to JC grab, but I am too used to the jump button to try to do that. I also use tap jump to shine -> aerial with Falco because I can't go from X to c-stick fast enough, but I'm not sure if that's the mainstream way of doing it.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Things that I were taught to use tap jump for are usmash out of shield and dash (tap jump immediately followed by c-stick up). I have also heard of people using tap jump to JC grab, but I am too used to the jump button to try to do that. I also use tap jump to shine -> aerial with Falco because I can't go from X to c-stick fast enough, but I'm not sure if that's the mainstream way of doing it.
Yeah tap jump is generally just useful for OoS options and rising aerials. For Falco jump->shine->aerial tap jump is essentially required especially at higher percents.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I'm a tap jumper and I really don't like it. I don't play fox seriously, but it takes away the option of playing fox; my drill-shine upsmash is very difficult compared with x/y, and when I try to multishine with either fox or falco, I'll often times use an up-b out of shine. Likewise, everything is more sloppy as a tap jumper than an x/y jumper. Jumping out of dash dances (including jump-cancel grabs out of dash dance), wave-dashing, moves out of shield, aerial mobility alongside aerials.

I'm slowly getting used to being an x-jumper, fortunately.

Last edited:

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
I don't have a picture but I will try to describe it.

Left hand: is the same.

Right hand: you put your index finger on the top of your Y button as if it is another trigger, and use your middle finger for what your index finger would normally do, if that makes sense. It should look like your hand is a claw hence claw grip.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
I don't have a picture but I will try to describe it.

Left hand: is the same.

Right hand: you put your index finger on the top of your Y button as if it is another trigger, and use your middle finger for what your index finger would normally do, if that makes sense. It should look like your hand is a claw hence claw grip.
So you use your index finger on Y to jump, use your middle finger for attacks and specials and stuff, and thumb for c-stick? What about shield?

literallybacon

Smash Rookie
So you use your index finger on Y to jump, use your middle finger for attacks and specials and stuff, and thumb for c-stick? What about shield?
You would use your index finger for jumping, b moves and tilts, use your middle finger for shielding/grabbing, and c-stick for smash attacks and aerials.

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
Like this: http://imgur.com/XYMwKmK, you use your index for jump, middle finger for shield and grab, thumb for A, B and C-stick. BTW you owe me something, I had to put in SOO much hard work to dig up my webcam to take a picture of my controller

Alchemeister

Smash Rookie
I've never used tap jump, I don't think I could rewire my brain to use it even if I had a reason to. But it's all preference, so as long as you aren't severely limiting yourself, I don't see why you wouldn't use it if it works for you.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
For one, you can actually do rising aerials.
i think you mean you can do rising aerials easier? i mean you can still do them with x or y. you just gotta be fast. i use the normal grip and trained myself to flick to the c stick to get the aerial out fast enough. and i get to control myself in the air better with the control stick. seems like this really isn't a plus.

but i understand if you're having trouble with that. as a doc player you gotta do them rising uair approaches without thinking about it. but if you use the control stick you'll just do them in place and it won't really work that well.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
actually the one time i use tap jump is for ledgehop aerials. i'll do c stick down, tap jump and then aerial with the c stick. but for ledgehop wavelands and rld i'll jump with x.

Top Bottom