• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taking out springs/modding of GC controllers legal? Opinions please.

eMORAY21

Smash Journeyman
Due to the lack of analogue shielding in Braw,l using the GC controller and having to press the shoulder buttons all the way down to sheild felt a bit daft.

So I removed the spring in one of them giving me a much faster, more stable button to shield with.

After being called a cheat by the people whom with I play, as I prefare to use my own controller when we have a Brawl session. I was wondering what the overall Brawl comunity oppinion is on this.

Surely it just makes the shoulder buttons more like the Wiimote, Classic controllers etc, and so isn't a MASSIVE advantage. Also as you could just change the buttons round to say X shield if you wanted, removing all the pushing needed.

But obviously I see the point of, 'if this is allowed where is the line drawn in controller modding?'.

Thanks,

eMORAY

PCHU

Smash Lord
Well, if the wiimote can shield quickly, and the classic can too, I don't see any problem in evening out the competition.
If people complain, so what?
It's not cheating, it's equality.
If they want to complain that the GC controller already has an advantage, remind them that they can use one too.
And if they don't want to switch over, bring it back to DON'T COMPLAIN!

It's like every time I choose a good character on brawl.
My friends complain, and they mainly just sit there.
Not the extreme I'm not playing with you, but the 'I feel all hope is lost' .
I tell them to try out that character, and I pick it as well.
I still win, so he goes back to Samus.
I reflect his lasers and he complains, but THANK GOODNESS he laughed too.

Well, there's your answer.

forute

Smash Ace
It's just as you said. It's not a big deal at all.
I doubt anybody would care if you had that going on at a tournament. They probably wouldn't even notice.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Don't even think of messing up your Gamecube Controller. You'll regret it if you decide to play Melee again.

Anyway, you can always use another control scheme if you can't handle shielding with the Gamecube Controller.

eMORAY21

Smash Journeyman
Don't even think of messing up your Gamecube Controller. You'll regret it if you decide to play Melee again.

Anyway, you can always use another control scheme if you can't handle shielding with the Gamecube Controller.
I don't intend on playing melee again, unless we fancy some reminiscing. (I actually found wavedashing easier without the spring, found that tip on these boards.)

It's not that I can't 'handle' the control scheme, yes button could quite easily. I just wanted to see from the people who play tournys, the 'pros' if this is aceptable at events.

So far it seems that everyone is chilled and it's no biggy, that would be cool if it's confirmed to be the case.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
While I like the idea of modding the GC controller, it's probably not gonna be legal in tournies.

The reason is just as you said, it's better for you. Heck, it would be better for anyone. Using a modded controller gives you an advantage, and unless everyone else mods theirs, you'll have an unfair advantage over them. Not to mention that the lines get blurred with other mods. Maybe someone wants to mod their X button so it only shorthops, etc.

Granted, if it becomes a published and accepted ruling, then it'll be a bit different. I personally don't think its likely though.

If only nintendo released a patch to enable shielding with a light press instead of a full one.

susu_atari

Smash Ace
Unless a list of acceptable modifications is compiled and everybody is expected to agree to it, I'm afraid you've got to play in tournaments with an unmodified controller.

Top Bottom