• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
if i said the ones from DD and SOJ i wonder how annoyed everyone would be
I wouldn't be. I love those cases for different reasons.

DD for hitting me with a plot twist I didn't realize and only figured it out when Phoenix did.

And SoJ because of the emotional roller coaster.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I wouldn't be. I love those cases for different reasons.

DD for hitting me with a plot twist I didn't realize and only figured it out when Phoenix did.

And SoJ because of the emotional roller coaster.
i was joking anyway, i love them all im not gonna pick favourites

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Dual Destinies.

Personally, I thought it and Turnabout Revolution were okay. Not absolutely atrocious like Turnabout Ablaze, but nowhere near Bridge to the Turnabout, Turnabout Goodbyes, or The Grand Turnabout

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I wouldn't be annoyed. Both cases were overall great and really enjoyable. The final case for SoJ was very emotional, and some of the involving characters in that case were really cool in my opinion.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I share the opinion that A Bridge to the Turnabout is the best case in the series, the ending and the whole resolution was simply so perfect.

I wouldn't be annoyed. Both cases were overall great and really enjoyable. The final case for SoJ was very emotional, and some of the involving characters in that case were really cool in my opinion.
Yeah, Turnabout Revolution was great & an emotional rollercoaster, definitely in my Top 3.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I liked Dual Destinies' final case. I got pretty invested with what was happening with the characters.

I have no option on SOJ yet since the phone port does not work well with my phone's aspect ratio.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I just finished the first case of DGS, a lot longer and more twisty than your usual first cases lol. Enjoyed it mostly, although though the Deus ex Machina of
getting the suspect's poison research files at the exact right moment was a little cheap. But I did enjoy the 'lightbulb' moment when looking through the files and realizing about Watson's tooth being a wound

Also liking most of the characters so far, Asougi is my fave atm. I hope if Phoenix gets in he will come with at least one music track and spirit from this game because it has a cool soundtrack and style.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
If Phoenix ever got in, I could totally see myself being that person where they try their best to not let their friends play him unless they played Ace Attorney.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I mean, if the purpose is to get them to try out the series I feel the best way to do that is to let them see if they love the character in Smash. Why I got into Metroid, Fire Emblem, Metal Gear (to an extent) and Zelda is because I liked how some of their reps played back in Brawl.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Just got to the second case of DGS...
Annnnnd my fave character is dead. RIPPERONI.

So I'm curious, speaking of people getting into the series how did you guys first play Ace Attorney? I was recommended it by a friend because we both liked Professor Layton. I went to my local game shop and they had Apollo Justice as it was new at the time... I'm one of those weirdos who had it as my first AA game. Boy was I surprised to find out who Hobo Nick used to be after finishing it. :rotfl:

Krankees

Smash Ace

So I'm curious, speaking of people getting into the series how did you guys first play Ace Attorney? I was recommended it by a friend because we both liked Professor Layton. I went to my local game shop and they had Apollo Justice as it was new at the time... I'm one of those weirdos who had it as my first AA game. Boy was I surprised to find out who Hobo Nick used to be after finishing it. :rotfl:
I just noticed Phoenix Wright youtube videos and memes a long time ago and gradually became more aware of the series since up until I decided to play the first game.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
bubble-objection.gif

Saw this bad boy on a forum a long time ago, and reverse image searched it to find out what game it came from. Then I played the first Ace Attorney game, and the rest was history.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I think the first game just came preinstalled in the flash card I had for my DS, I didn't know how to get more games at the time so I just played what was on it, and that's how I became a fan of Ace Attorney. Wild how I stumbled into one of my favorite series of all time by sheet chance.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

the first trailer for layton vs wright finally convinced me to give them ago so i got the first 3 on the wii by the time i got the crossover i was a proper fan of both and it was even better

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

I remember seeing lots of memes of the series over the years, most notably stuff like the "OBJECTION!" and such, so I always knew it at least existed. It wasn't until Phoenix got in UMVC3 (which I still find pretty funny) that I thought about maybe trying the series; a couple years later I started playing them from the first game onwards on DS (thanks to the 3DS, where you can play most of the AA games) and ended up loving them.

KillerCage

Smash Master

I first learned of the series through the "Phoenix Wrong" parody videos on Newgrounds.
I wouldn't play the Ace Attorney series until the Wiiware release of the first game.
The rest is history.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Have you guys ever played an Ace Attorney game (or any other games) and took a really long break for no reason? Because I just did while playing Spirits of Justice. I finished the first case right before the Game Awards and I just took a break for like 6 months. I recently finished case 2 and started case 3 this week so atleast I've started to move on again, through I hope I don't delay myself like that anymore.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Have you guys ever played an Ace Attorney game (or any other games) and took a really long break for no reason? Because I just did while playing Spirits of Justice. I finished the first case right before the Game Awards and I just took a break for like 6 months. I recently finished case 2 and started case 3 this week so atleast I've started to move on again, through I hope I don't delay myself like that anymore.
I started playing the Great Ace Attorney in October 2018, finished the first case, and then never touched the game again until a few months ago.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Plenty of times, but the most recent case that comes to mind is Golden Sun. I believe I got it around...2012? I dunno when I started playing it but I didn't finish it until 2017, only to realize then I left it right at the final dungeon lol. I believe I did something similar with vanilla Odin Sphere and Life Goes On.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Plenty of times, but the most recent case that comes to mind is Golden Sun. I believe I got it around...2012? I dunno when I started playing it but I didn't finish it until 2017, only to realize then I left it right at the final dungeon lol. I believe I did something similar with vanilla Odin Sphere and Life Goes On.
I started playing The Legend of Zelda (the original) in 2011 and finished it in 2018. Similarily to you, I got stuck in the final dungeon for several years and since I refused to play with guides, it took me so long. Every now and then I tried to play again, but always got lost in the big maze or at the final boss (due to not finding a needed item). Two years ago I ultimately decided to draw my own map of the final dungeon while playing and mark every wall that I've tried to bomb... and then finally I was able to beat the game without guides and it was the best feeling.

Regarding Ace Attorney, I never took long breaks - the AA-games always hook me so much that I can't stop playing. That's a sign for me that a game is really, reallly good.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
For some reason I thought Rise from the Ashes was just a weird bonus case that didn't mean much, so I skipped it the first time I played AA1. I only played it years later (and met Ema as a kid for the first time as I'd already done AJ)
Whoops!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For some reason I thought Rise from the Ashes was just a weird bonus case that didn't mean much, so I skipped it the first time I played AA1. I only played it years later (and met Ema as a kid for the first time as I'd already done AJ)
Whoops!
well it was created for the ds port so it was a bonus chapter

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I started playing The Legend of Zelda (the original) in 2011 and finished it in 2018. Similarily to you, I got stuck in the final dungeon for several years and since I refused to play with guides, it took me so long. Every now and then I tried to play again, but always got lost in the big maze or at the final boss (due to not finding a needed item). Two years ago I ultimately decided to draw my own map of the final dungeon while playing and mark every wall that I've tried to bomb... and then finally I was able to beat the game without guides and it was the best feeling.
Damn that's old school, you have my respect.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I find myself taking breaks from games. Sometimes it can get all the more embarrassing when I take a break after barely playing it. Sometimes it happens because I prioritise university work, or I've decided to move on to a different game in the backlog (Probably the reason why said backlog ends up growing more and more). Now that I'm in semester break, I've actually went back to Dragon Quest XI S, which I hadn't played in a while since the Semester began and 2020 became more chaotic.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I find myself taking breaks from games. Sometimes it can get all the more embarrassing when I take a break after barely playing it. Sometimes it happens because I prioritise university work, or I've decided to move on to a different game in the backlog (Probably the reason why said backlog ends up growing more and more). Now that I'm in semester break, I've actually went back to Dragon Quest XI S, which I hadn't played in a while since the Semester began and 2020 became more chaotic.
I did that with LEGO Lord of the Rings for 3 years.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm a bit surprised how considerably behind Layton was given that franchise is a bigger success than AA? But good on lawyer boy, in general I'm glad all of my Capcom most wanted where in the top 50.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
The ARMS Rep's being revealed tomorrow. Let's hope Nick doesn't get deconfirmed, because even if they're a Sprit, Mii Outfit or Spring Man, I don't see post-launch Spirits/Mii Outfits getting in.

I'm a bit surprised how considerably behind Layton was given that franchise is a bigger success than AA?
Not according to Google Trends.
AceAttorneyVSLaytonTrends.png

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yeah. Not definitive, but it points against Layton being a larger series.
doesn’t really just means more people searched for AA, they could have been searching it for any number of rea

Does it really matter though? Both games are still beloved by many. I don't think Phoenix is more likely to get in even if he's more popular than Layton.
Yeah Layton and nick should be a team not against each other

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
so this isn't an 100% accurate measure as both franchises have delved into other mediums, but since they're primarily videogames, I measure their size based on known sales. As of March of this year AA has moved about 7.5 million copies, meanwhile Layton by 2013 already sold 15 millions, with likely higher number by now, if I knew the total sales of the crossover you could cross that out from either franchise, but I doubt that'd make a difference on which resulted more prolific. I don't bring this up as something that speaks on either chances over the other or that Layton should be more requested, but given that both series are pretty similar given their story focus and being Nintendo exclusive for a good majority of the last 15-ish years, I just found it on the odd side that Phoenix was considerably ahead from Layton in SG poll, but then again, it was a small sample all things considered.

Top Bottom