• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switching buttons for shielding

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Still kinda new to the competitive melee scene. After playing some decent spacey players in my area I've found that wave dashing OoS is a really helpful technique as an oos option, especially for falcon. The problem is I've always shielded with L, for as long as I've been playing the game, and wave shielding is significantly easier to do when I use R to shield, and L to do the air dodge.

I've tried hard to avoid having to switch to using different buttons for certain things, but let me ask you guys: is it worth taking the time and effort to switch to R for using the shield so I can wave shield? Or should I stick with L and maybe find a different way to wave shield? I've heard of a few different ways to wave shield, but honestly, using R is definitely the most comfortable to me right now.

...or should I just pick other OoS options?

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I've started doing the same thing, shielding with R. Wavelands out of shield are much easier now. My eventual goal is to use both and L and R for both and alternate between the two so my fingers are always free.

Keep in mind though that plenty of good players Shield and Wavedash with the same button and that you can train through most grip/button difficulties that you run into and still be able to execute it as well as anyone else.

vynleren

Smash Cadet
I'm in the middle of the same process. Always used L for everything, and now I'm trying to shied with R.

It's a hard change so far, so I'm beginning to work on wavedashing OoS with only the L button.

Massive

Smash Champion
No need to rewrite your entire muscle memory just to Wavedash OoS.

You can still use L for everything and R exclusively for wavedashing OoS.

Being a bit ambidextrous with shield buttons is pretty useful, honestly. Nobody is going to get mad or freak out if you don't do everything with just one trigger.

If what you're doing has the desired effect and feels natural/easily executed, who cares what your inputs are?

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
Weird. I always use R to shield/Wavedash. Wavedashing OoS is actually easier for me when I can use the L to shield. It's just something I have to get used to.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Sometimes I shield with R because it's the default setting on 3ds, but I usually use L for all of my techs. Using R hasn't hindered me, and I've sometimes considered using L exclusively for shielding and R for techs. I think it would improve your coordination, and I would recommend it if it makes things easier.

Y-L

Smash Champion
You can do a hard light press for shield, then push down that little extra bit for hard press air dodge. No need for two buttons.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
The most logical way too wavedash is jumping with x/y (y is good for reasons unrelated to wd) and using R to do the airdodge. Keeps the technique to one hand; clarity and such.
Therefore there's some point in shielding with L, so you can just hold r the whole time, and never bother with that.

Not that bad to not do it. The worst that happens is that you try to leave shield during shield hit stun (nothing happens), or drop it early (at a point where their attack is most likely over anyways), and just wd out of the unshield animation.
Still, if they don't actually attack, your attempted wd oos is a little safer if you're shielding till right before, so there is some point in separating the air dodge and shielding triggger.
If it's actually work, because you ingrained a different way, keep it. In the time you spent unlearining you can get more useful things down. If you're new, or switching your grip for some different reason anyways ( e.g. (semi)claw), learn it that way.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom