• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Smash Journeyman
I know i'm probably going to get garbage results but, does anybody know how to increase vertical jump?

Please don't say toe raises or I WILL throw boiling hot soup at your face.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I had a fitness assessment today (every 2 months). Here goes:

Blood pressure: 110/70, previous 112/71
Weight (kg): 70.45, previous 69.85

Measurements
Right arm (flex): 31cm
Left arm (flex): 30.5cm
Chest: 89cm
Waist: 82cm
Hips: 87cm
Right thigh: 47cm
Left thigh: 46cm

Testing
Push up test (how many I can do before I collapse lol): 25
Plank test (not camping lol): 1min'28secs
Sit and reach test: 70cm
Wall sit endurance test: 1min'35secs
Step up test (how many I can do in 3 minutes): 73

The gym actually lost most of my data so they started anew. This girl has decided to write my new program for me and noticed how masculine my previous program was. She recommended I not neglect my cardio, and have somewhat of a reality check since, I should realistically be aiming for more tone and definition and not just hitting the weights exclusively trying to bulk up, when my body clearly isn't built for it.

Hrmmmmmm... more cardio = more weight loss... what to do...

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Sorry for lack of inactivity. I'm bombarded with tests/etc. SHMOT TAKE OVER!
sorry, ive been at the snow the last couple of days. and i leave back for aus on thursday, so dont expect me to be overly active. but ill try ;)

I know i'm probably going to get garbage results but, does anybody know how to increase vertical jump?

Please don't say toe raises or I WILL throw boiling hot soup at your face.
i dont like two raises... but a couple of things i will advise:

- box jumps
- broad jumps
- explosive squats
- clean and press
- hill sprints

lifts should be done very heavy for only a few reps (between 1-5 @ a max). try to do the elevation portion of the exercise at quickly as possible while keeping control and good form. this works. any questions, ask.

I had a fitness assessment today (every 2 months). Here goes:

Blood pressure: 110/70, previous 112/71
Weight (kg): 70.45, previous 69.85

Measurements
Right arm (flex): 31cm
Left arm (flex): 30.5cm
Chest: 89cm
Waist: 82cm
Hips: 87cm
Right thigh: 47cm
Left thigh: 46cm

Testing
Push up test (how many I can do before I collapse lol): 25
Plank test (not camping lol): 1min'28secs
Sit and reach test: 70cm
Wall sit endurance test: 1min'35secs
Step up test (how many I can do in 3 minutes): 73

The gym actually lost most of my data so they started anew. This girl has decided to write my new program for me and noticed how masculine my previous program was. She recommended I not neglect my cardio, and have somewhat of a reality check since, I should realistically be aiming for more tone and definition and not just hitting the weights exclusively trying to bulk up, when my body clearly isn't built for it.

Hrmmmmmm... more cardio = more weight loss... what to do...
ive had this conversation with you already, cao. more cardio doesnt not necessarily equal weight loss O_o... but it will make putting on muscle harder. common myth :)

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
My pushups only seem to build up my triceps...grr... it's a good thing for my triceps but it just looks weird with a scrawny chest as opposed to much bigger arms. What can i do for my chest? Bodyweight is my only option btw. Thanx!
If you widen your arms the pecs will be focused more. Don't widen so much that it hurts your shoulders, however. Know your limits.

Met

Smash Ace
Yo sign me up for this. Names Jank in good health 21 years old hardly drink and quit smoking. i weigh 190 pounds and i am six foot. not fat or chubby but i do have some pounds i could stand to lose and these are the hardest ones to lose they say. Any suggestions?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Protein shakes maybe? And no wonder Tiger Woods is fit, the amount of full body workouts he's had recently. I'm surprised he has time for this thread.

Attila_

BRoomer
What kind of change in diet?

Also, what is the best way to decrease your amount of body fat?
if youre going protein shakes, go micellar casein or something very similar. slow digesting, low carb shakes are the way to go.

im not a fan of cardio for fat loss (this goes against common theory, but whatever), based on the principle that:

1. building more muscle increases your BMR (basal metabolic rate), increasing the amount of calories you consume at rest.
2. weight training creates a greater EPOC effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_post-exercise_oxygen_consumption
3. cardio is generally less favoured by noob gym goers, making them more likely to quit.

thats what i think anyway. no time, otherwise id write more.

oh yeah, and eat healthy food lol

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
HAPPY DIET FOR JESUS (Aka, the name my friend gave for Lent)

Gave up pop, laying off excessive junk food, and gonna try and hit the gym more. If not, DDR for an hour every few nights :D

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Anybody else try Crossfit? They give you a workout every day, with every 4th day being rest. I've been on it for about 2 weeks now and ****, this stuff WRECKS me. I'm a little behind the website's schedule; today's workout for me was:

155 pound Squat clean, 15 reps
30 Toes to bar
30 Box jump, 24 inch box
15 Muscle-ups
40 pound dumbbell Push press / push jerk, 30 reps
30 Double-unders
135 pound Thruster, 15 reps
30 Pull-ups
30 Burpees
300 feet Walking lunge with 45lb plate held overhead

Done as fast as possible. My shoulders hurt like hell (not looking forward to tomorrow morning) and I'm just overall exhausted. It's cardio disguised as lifting :smash:

Shök

Smash Champion
if youre going protein shakes, go micellar casein or something very similar. slow digesting, low carb shakes are the way to go.

im not a fan of cardio for fat loss (this goes against common theory, but whatever), based on the principle that:

1. building more muscle increases your BMR (basal metabolic rate), increasing the amount of calories you consume at rest.
2. weight training creates a greater EPOC effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_post-exercise_oxygen_consumption
3. cardio is generally less favoured by noob gym goers, making them more likely to quit.

thats what i think anyway. no time, otherwise id write more.

oh yeah, and eat healthy food lol
diet: depends on ur goals.

best way to decrease bf%: eat less fat
eat less sugar (cuts down bodies ability to burn fat)
cardio

@eighteen spikes: that routine seems to be similar to p90x/insanity type stuff from what i've glanced at
He he. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Has anyone here actually tried the P90X challenge? I might do it. Lol.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I've never heard of P90X so I looked it up, and lemme get this straight: you pay $140 to do bodyweight exercises that give you 6-PACK ABS AND GIANT PECS IN 90 DAYS thanks to " Muscle Confusion™ "? Sounds like a textbook scam :urg: they even have the safety net of "It only works if you're TOTALLY COMMITTED!!!" so all the people who don't see results in a quarter of a year just ~weren't trying hard enough~. lol :urg:

bolt.

Smash Ace
Anybody else try Crossfit? They give you a workout every day, with every 4th day being rest. I've been on it for about 2 weeks now and ****, this stuff WRECKS me. I'm a little behind the website's schedule; today's workout for me was:

155 pound Squat clean, 15 reps
30 Toes to bar
30 Box jump, 24 inch box
15 Muscle-ups
40 pound dumbbell Push press / push jerk, 30 reps
30 Double-unders
135 pound Thruster, 15 reps
30 Pull-ups
30 Burpees
300 feet Walking lunge with 45lb plate held overhead

Done as fast as possible. My shoulders hurt like hell (not looking forward to tomorrow morning) and I'm just overall exhausted. It's cardio disguised as lifting :smash:
That wod was so hard. Muscle ups are almost impossible unless your in amazing shape. :p

trademark0013

Smash Champion
I've never heard of P90X so I looked it up, and lemme get this straight: you pay $140 to do bodyweight exercises that give you 6-PACK ABS AND GIANT PECS IN 90 DAYS thanks to " Muscle Confusion™ "? Sounds like a textbook scam :urg: they even have the safety net of "It only works if you're TOTALLY COMMITTED!!!" so all the people who don't see results in a quarter of a year just ~weren't trying hard enough~. lol :urg:
na its just a bunch of different exercises that you do with ur body. i forget what those are called. its basically just extreme cardio and pushing ur body to its limits all the time. it works but its a biatch. plus u'll only get so much strength gains if thats ur goal. u'll get cut and mad skinny

and who pays for things nemore? torrents all day

Met

Smash Ace
Just noticed this thread. dont have time to go thru it all atm but it seems pretty beast.

@Met: You're going to have to be bit more specific with that. Generally I'd suggest a change in your diet.
like i am fit and i have muscle but i have like a little chub around my mid section.
but like i said my arms and chest and back are toned

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Wow, I'm really getting into this.

I just had a piece of pie right now, and I'm slightly freaking out. :urg:

trademark0013

Smash Champion
like i am fit and i have muscle but i have like a little chub around my mid section.
but like i said my arms and chest and back are toned
yea i def have the same issue, but no back tone since i havent worked it out as much. theres still some fat in my chest too, but my goals are more strength oriented than anythinhg else.
in a few weeks i'mma overhaul my diet to lose this gut cuz guts are really unneccesary.
Wow, I'm really getting into this.

I just had a piece of pie right now, and I'm slightly freaking out. :urg:
thats how i feel about taco bell. dam you baja blast

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I've decided my target weight is 140 lbs.

I'm slowly creeping up there, currently at 136. That gap on the scale is massive though.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Well, back in December I asked about which body type to go with, and over the last few months, I've just maintained my size through some cardio, crunches, planks, etc.

Now it's nicer out again and I've been going running again, and going to ask against which to go with.

1) Balanced Out

Basically along with running, planks, crunches and all those sorts of stuff, also add some muscle building.

2) Runner's Body

Just continue what I've been doing with running re-added.

To me, the strength from building some muscle isn't going to be used at all, and would mostly just be for looks, and I don't really care for that. I also used to be bigger than I am now, and I never used the strength back then.

With just a pure-runner's body, I'll have more endurance, be slimmer to further increase my speed and endurance (;D), and that's all I really care about, though I'm not the one really to care about my own looks; that's for other people. =P

So what do you guys suggest? Currently, though slim and slender, I'm pretty much solid, very quick at sprinting, good at long-distance, and very acrobatic and flexible for my height (6 feet). My arms and chest don't have much muscle to them, and I could easily regain it, but I don't have much use for it.

I'm leaning on just going with pure-running.

D

Deleted member

I would love to join. I need to get some exercise outside of PE, especially since I won't be taking any sports or phsycical education on my junior or senior year of school.

r3d d09

Smash Master
i might hit this up and see what i can do.

use to be in amazing shape due to doing sports every year since i was 6 till my freshman year in college*aka now*

Just depends how things go for me because i'm in difficult situations right now.

but i'd like to get back to what i use to lift my senior year.

all about leg power, I was a punter for my highschool. could have gone to a major college and walked on. but wanted to work on my kicking before i do so.

Tiger, what kind of exercise thing would go on with this tourney thing you're talking about? lifting? running? etc.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
After 11 months with my cousins workout bench and some protein shakes, I think I'm fine the way I am really. Its hard to describe though. I work out enough so I'm not fat or skinny and you can tell I work out a bit, but I'm not like super muscley like my rugby player cousin. And the clothes I wear disguises it a bit, like I've had people tell me that they didn't expect me to be that toned when I've taken my top off.

This thread seems to be full of super commited people though.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Does anybody have some tips on how to build the abdomen area?

I know sit-ups exercises are like the foothold; but it gets really uncomfortable and hard on the back after some-time on the garage floor. I'm thinking of doing it on my bed for more back support; I'll see how that works out.

Aside from that, are there any other exercises that could help? I'm inclined to believe pull-ups do, but they don't focus mainly on that section. What about Squats; same story?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Pull Ups actually do help your core.

Anyways:

Leg Lifts
Low and High Planks w/(o) jabs
Russian Twists
Power Jacks
Bicycles
Weighted crunches (5, 10, 20)
uhm, hmm...what else

Attila_

BRoomer
you want a 6-pack? Fix up your diet.

abs are made in the kitchen. seriously. abs aren't visible until you're about 8% body fat. unless you have steroid-induced 'outy' abs.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'm not really shooting for a 6-pack, just a more firm body. I'm already happy with my figure; I just want to be able to do some more things that require more physical output; yes.

It's so flabby~! >_<

Anyway yes, I know to develop muscle a little bit of good diet will have to be thrown in there. I'm working on that.

Thanks for the advice.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
How would you figure out your body fat percentage?

Attila_

BRoomer
How would you figure out your body fat percentage?
with a machine. bmi reader i think its called.
BMI is something completely different. ignore it. its stupid. i have a body fat percentage of <10%, and BMI calls me overweight. it doesnt account for muscle.

you can use scales, but theyre not completely accurate. they'll tell you what you are give or take about 5%. theres some water scale thing that is super accurate, but theyre hard to track down and quite expensive.

in my case, i got one of my mates who has qualifications in skinfold testing to do my skinfolds and give me a reading. you gotta get someone to do it properly.

Top Bottom