• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SweetSpot1 - January 25th - Cambridge, England

Heartstring

Smash Legend
The very first part of a new project, The SweetSpot tournament series!
EVERYTHING is solidified. The venue is great, the date is set for sure. Free housing is available, Great event all around!
ALSO: as the title suggests, The plan is for this to be a part of a series of events that are all intertwined. It's not been confirmed yet, So keep an eye out for it!

The venue we will be using is a Museum dedication to retro computing. Primarily it targets retro computer gaming. The venue has just about everything you can think of when it comes to gaming from over a decade ago (yes, this includes smash bros 64 and melee). The venue has dozens of CRT's: They are all the same AND they are ~20" across. I will upload some photo's soon of the venue so people can see what we are working with.

Note: Please go and confirm yourself on the facebook page too! (https://www.facebook.com/events/1483938855165393)

-----VENUE-----

Name: The Centre for Computing History.
Address: Rene Court
Coldhams Road
Cambridge
CB1 3EW
How to find it: The museum is at Rene Court in Coldhams Road, Cambridge, CB1 3EW, very close to the Beehive Shopping Centre. From the Beehive Centre, take the 3rd exit off the roundabout into Coldhams Road and go over the railway bridge. Immediately after the bridge there is a very sharp, left hand turn that doubles-back on yourself. Take that turn into the commercial estate and follow the road to your right. Just before the railway crossing, turn into Rene Court on the right and you will see us there.

-----THE SETUP-----

So, You're interested? well, you should be. The venue is incredible, and I've done a lot of work (along with the curator) in order to layout an incredible tournament experience! You want to see what It will look like on the day? You got it!

This is how it will look on the day, 6TV's for each game (which we can switch around if we need to!) and lots of space for each individual match!
But what if you get bored of smash? Not to worry, the venue fee grants you access to everything within the venue. This includes hands-on access to some of the most classic retro machines ever!

These are a small sample of whats on show at the venue. These will be available for use all throughout the day!

-----IMPORTANT INFO-----

Schedule:
Venue opens at: 10am
Sign-ups: 12 noon
Brawl Doubles: 1pm-finish
Brawl Singles: 2pm-finish
Melee Doubles: 1pm-finish
Melee Singles: 2pm-finish
Project:M: 1pm-finish

Entry Fee:
Venue: £6
Brawl Singles: £5
Brawl Doubles £5 per team
Melee: £3
Melee Doubles: £5 per team
ProjectM: £3

-----RULES-----

~Brawl Rules~
[ NOTE: The brawl ruleset is identical to the ruleset for Apex2014, For all of the rules, please see: www.apex-series.com/rules/brawl/ ]
General:
-Meta Knight legal (Double Meta Knight is illegal in doubles)
-3 Stocks
-8 Minutes
-Items: OFF and NONE
-Team Attack ON
-Ledge grab limit(LGL): 35
-All Chain-grabs and infinites are legal, But must stop before 300%

Neutral Stages:
Smashville
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Counterpick Stages:
Castle Siege
Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Pokemon Stadium

~Melee Rules~

General:
4 Stocks
Items Off
8 Minutes
Team Attack ON

Neutral Stages:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi Story
Fountain of Dreams
Dreamland 64
Counterpick Stages:
Pokemon Stadium

~Project:M Rules~

General:
4 Stocks
Items Off
8 Minutes
Team Attack ON

Neutral Stages:
Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Final Destination
Smashville
Dreamland
Fountain of dreams
Counterpick Stages:
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
WarioWare
Green Hill Zone
Dracula's Castle
SSE: Jungle

-----OTHER INFO-----

Set-ups:
We Need people to bring set-ups in order for the tournament to run smoothly! Any and all set-ups are appreciated no matter what game its for, Each game has an expected 6 setups, However if a set game is far busier than the other two, it will be given an extra setup to make the event run smoother.

Transport:
TRAIN:
Look for 'Cambridge' on www.nationalrail.co.uk. Prices vary, However booking in advance Can make the journey as cheap as ~£20 return from London, Travelling to other places is going to be more expensive, Give it a look.
You MAY also want to check 'www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk' to see if that is cheaper.
(note: Searching for 'Ely' may yield cheaper results, Ely is only 1 stop away from Cambridge, and caters to the northern parts of the country better than Cambridge does)
COACH:
Find 'CAMBRIDGE' on www.Nationalexpress.com, It's cheaper than the train on most occasions. A return journey to Cambridge from London Victoria will cost £12-£15 when booked in advance
CAR:
If you can, I would recommend driving up with other smashers as this will probably be the cheapest and fastest method of travel. On top of that, there is parking at the venue. (However if that is all taken up by other visitors then there is a nearby ASDA thats about 5 minutes walk away from the venue.)

Accommodation:
-I will be asking smashers who live around Cambridge, and seeing if they will be able to house a few people.
-Housing will be available at the nearby university. However the quality of it is yet to be discovered. I'm working on it currently! but you will at least be able to go there after the tournament.
-Alternatively, If you have cash, you can book a room at a travelodge with a bunch of people! There is a travelodge only 3 minutes walk from the venue that you will be able to stay in and if you share with a group of 4 or so people, it should cost you around £10 per person. The travelodge you are after is called 'Travelodge Cambridge Newmarket Road Hotel'

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
I've booked it off work so I shouls be there :). Transport seems to be an issue at the moment but I'll fins a way. Also willing to split a room with others in the Travelodge.
...and if anyone wants a Brawl doubles partner, let me know :)

EOE

Smash Apprentice
Any info/advice for travelling from Belfast, Northern Ireland?
I'm interesting in going but haven't travelled to Cambridge before!

Should be able to enter both Brawl events and can bring 1-2 Brawl set-ups as well as 1-2 Melee set-ups.

Thanks!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Any info/advice for travelling from Belfast, Northern Ireland?
I'm interesting in going but haven't travelled to Cambridge before!

Should be able to enter both Brawl events and can bring 1-2 Brawl set-ups as well as 1-2 Melee set-ups.

Thanks!
From northern ireland? Good lord that is one hell of a journey!
I'm not entirely sure how you would go about coming here all the way from NI, If you can get a super-cheap flight to somewhere in London and then take a train/coach in from there. Then maybe thats the best way to go.

However if you were to come all that way, I would only bring 1 setup with you, You don't want to have to carry all that stuff around with you, right?

EOE

Smash Apprentice
From northern ireland? Good lord that is one hell of a journey!
I'm not entirely sure how you would go about coming here all the way from NI, If you can get a super-cheap flight to somewhere in London and then take a train/coach in from there. Then maybe thats the best way to go.

However if you were to come all that way, I would only bring 1 setup with you, You don't want to have to carry all that stuff around with you, right?
I could get a relatively cheap return flight to London Gatwick.
Would anyone around that area be willing to car pool?

I'd be returning a few hours after the tourney (would like to stick around for spectating and MMs if possible - I'm sure everyone will want to play my scrubby Zelda!) - so no need for housing costs.

And yeah, maybe you're right about just bringing one set-up. At least you can ask for me to bring another if you're short.

--

Also, what do you expect the turnout to be like? Do you think it would be better for me to hold off taking the journey for a future event?

Thanks!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I could get a relatively cheap return flight to London Gatwick.
Would anyone around that area be willing to car pool?

I'd be returning a few hours after the tourney (would like to stick around for spectating and MMs if possible - I'm sure everyone will want to play my scrubby Zelda!) - so no need for housing costs.

And yeah, maybe you're right about just bringing one set-up. At least you can ask for me to bring another if you're short.

--

Also, what do you expect the turnout to be like? Do you think it would be better for me to hold off taking the journey for a future event?

Thanks!
No-one in london drives, sadly. If you posted on the facebook event (https://www.facebook.com/events/1483938855165393/) and asked about it on there then you can perhaps find someone, but you'll most likely have to take a train/coach.

And it depends on your funds. we have other events coming up, and obviously I want people to come to mine. But if you can only come to one tournament then this one might not be in your best interests.

EOE

Smash Apprentice
No-one in london drives, sadly. If you posted on the facebook event (https://www.facebook.com/events/1483938855165393/) and asked about it on there then you can perhaps find someone, but you'll most likely have to take a train/coach.

And it depends on your funds. we have other events coming up, and obviously I want people to come to mine. But if you can only come to one tournament then this one might not be in your best interests.
I'd like to make it to 3 or 4 events before Brawl dies out when Smash 4 is released. I've looked through past events previously, but was attracted to this one because of the nice little venue.

Perhaps I should wait for future events closer to central London, which would be easier to get to. I'll try to keep in touch with the UK community in the meantime.

Thank you very much for your help. =)

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I'd like to make it to 3 or 4 events before Brawl dies out when Smash 4 is released. I've looked through past events previously, but was attracted to this one because of the nice little venue.

Perhaps I should wait for future events closer to central London, which would be easier to get to. I'll try to keep in touch with the UK community in the meantime.

Thank you very much for you're help. =)
Well, By all means I think you should come. It's the first event in the Smash UK Championship Season, so it would be great to have a big turnout for that event!
(if you don't know what that is, check this out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmashUK/permalink/566799963405947/)
We'll also have SAD3 in march, and Blastzone5 in June. both of those are in london.

EOE

Smash Apprentice
Well, By all means I think you should come. It's the first event in the Smash UK Championship Season, so it would be great to have a big turnout for that event!
(if you don't know what that is, check this out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmashUK/permalink/566799963405947/)
We'll also have SAD3 in march, and Blastzone5 in June. both of those are in london.
SAD3 actually sounds like it would be at a much more convenient time for me, and, being in London, I think it would be wiser for me to prepare to attend that one.

And thanks for the link - it's very exciting to hear that things are still going on behind the scenes for Smash UK! Looking forward to getting involved.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
You're going to have to remind me of the deal. programming work and all this smashuk championship season thing has pushed everything else out of my head XD

sinth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sinth_technique
Switch FC
SW-6875-3919-6957
my re-debut after 3 months absence... see you guys there :D

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
I doubt I'll be there before 11 as I need to get the Megabus from Cardiff to London, the tube from Victoria to King's Cross, then the train from there to Cambridge. TRAAAAAVEEEEEL.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I doubt I'll be there before 11 as I need to get the Megabus from Cardiff to London, the tube from Victoria to King's Cross, then the train from there to Cambridge. TRAAAAAVEEEEEL.
Jesus christ. You know, if it's easier for you to travel up friday and stay here overnight, I can provide space for a guy coming from ****ING WALES.
Plus, you don't really want to start travelling at like 4am lol

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Jesus christ. You know, if it's easier for you to travel up friday and stay here overnight, I can provide space for a guy coming from ****ING WALES.
Plus, you don't really want to start travelling at like 4am lol
Booked the tickets already :nervous: hah. Thanks for the offer though. Do you know of anyone who will want to split costs for a room at the Travelodge yet?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Booked the tickets already :nervous: hah. Thanks for the offer though. Do you know of anyone who will want to split costs for a room at the Travelodge yet?
Post asking about it here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1483938855165393/
There is a room at the uni that I plan on getting for us, which will be free/like £1 each. But obviously won't have perfectly made up beds and such

Top Bottom