• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't think I could get into Steven Universe...

I mean all I have to do is hear "lesbian space rocks" and it's hard to take it seriously....

It just sounds like a bad B movie from the 60s.
It's basically Tumblr: the cartoon.

There's an episode where a distinctly female characters turns into a big, buff hairy wrestler.

There's a part where a male and female character fuse and the gender of the character in question is kept ambiguous.

All the female characters have different body types.

Everyone is a lesbian.

The environments are pretty awesome and I like some of the humor, but the show just didn't gab me.

When does it come out?
Yesssss someone else converted.

I dont think we were ever given a date so probably not for a while. I mean it's hand drawn stuff so it's gona take even longer and they havent started full production as far as i know. Probably not for a year or two or three i would assume. . .

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
dude
i've spoken to toby before and been in a skype chat with him
it was definitely his intent for it to be, to a certain extent, an Ess Jay Double-You game
Well.... Duh... No **** Sherlock. Don't appreciate the attitude.

It being progressive wasn't the problem I have. I like that it's progressive. The Royal Guards were cute and Mettaton is a hoot.

It's a group of fans that make those elements bigger than they are.

Undertale should not be the game of the year just because it has those elements for example. It shouldn't automatically get a pass for being progressive.
Oh nooo!! the boogymen are finally corrupting videogames!!!! quick, vote for all the other games in the Best Ever Totally Matters 100% list to get the SJWs out!!
Nice preemptive strawman.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Top 10 favourite games? Ok!

Luigi's Mansion
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Silver
Bioshock
Bioshock Infinite
Kirby's Dreamland
Smash Bros for Wii U
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Khoru

Smash Champion
Well.... Duh... No **** Sherlock. Don't appreciate the attitude.

It being progressive wasn't the problem I have. I like that it's progressive. The Royal Guards were cute and Mettaton is a hoot.

It's a group of fans that make those elements bigger than they are.

Undertale should not be the game of the year just because it has those elements for example. It shouldn't automatically get a pass for being progressive.
ok yeah that makes sense
it was phrased in such a way that sounded (to me at least, though i was clearly off base) as though you were denying that the game is... "progressive", let's say, to begin with
which some people do
my bad

but yeah tokenism is dumb

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not to start anything big, but seriously, if you don't want people calling you a SJW, you shouldn't really get upset over what people have to say about them and even back them. Just some friendly adive member to members. Was just on my mind, nothing personal.

...Are there any other traps then? Pretty boys? What about potentailly your own avy?

If not, eh, at least I like straight up handsome men too~. :p Just wanted to see one with a trap.
Other traps? No
Only guy that you can gay marriage is Zero in the Nohr route
Most os the guys in Fates are husbando material actually, like your two brothers, Xander and Leo :p
Avy? Are you talking about my avatar? If so, I'm sorry but that is really a girl :p

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's basically Tumblr: the cartoon.

There's an episode where a distinctly female characters turns into a big, buff hairy wrestler.

There's a part where a male and female character fuse and the gender of the character in question is kept ambiguous.

Everyone is a lesbian.

The environments are pretty awesome and I like some of the humor, but the show just didn't gab me.
Is "all of the female characters have different body types" really a negative?

This isn't even a social justice thing, but I've always been an advocate of varied character design, especially in cartoons/cartoony games. Granted that should carry over to the male characters but from what I've seen it more or less does in SU. Giving characters different body types greatly contributes to that. I don't see a problem with that. It's like when people moaned about Sonic Boom making Knuckles buff. I didn't see a problem with it. If it was the main series I would have been against it because it's needlessly tampering a classic design, but with Sonic Boom being an AU, I thought it was fine, since it was a design choice that made sense. Knuckles really should be buff rather than having noodle arms, and so I thought it was a good design choice that made total sense. I WOULD be an advocate of them using that design in the main series if it weren't for the fact it would make no sense contextually for Knuckles to suddenly be buff, but for Boom it's completely fine.

I'm also an advocate of gay relationships being in kids cartoons because really, if our entertainment shies away from it, then of course kids are going to grow up to find it weird. People go on about how we shouldn't find gay relationships weird and how it should be seen as normal but kids are going to have a hard time doing that if they aren't exposed to the idea early on. I'm not saying the show has to be centered around it but there's nothing wrong with it being there. For every straight relationship in a show, there would be no harm in having a gay one somewhere, even if it weren't for the main characters.

Also that first part sounds like they were directly trying to parody DBZ. IIRC, I heard the fusion concept in this show was inspired by DBZ.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
We're talking about favorite games? HERE WE GO.

In no particular order:

Sonic 2 - First game I got really into
Sonic Adventure 2 - Say what you will about how poorly its aged, but it was a cornerstone of my childhood
Final Fantasy IX - My first FF and the game to get me into RPGs
Pokemon Ruby - The first Pokemon game I ever got really into
World of Warcraft - I've dumped years of my life into this beautiful, stupid game
Halo: Combat Evolved - Halo 3 is better, but nostalgia + optimal maps for local make this my favorite
Half-Life - the first shooter I ever manned up and played, Doom and Quake were too scary for little Finalark
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Uchart2 is better, but this was the first PS3 game I ever owned and I played it nonstop
Soul Calibur II - Years later this is still my favorite fighting game
Mass Effect - This game helped me fight through depression and pulled me out of one of the lowest points of my life

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Since you talked about SU earlier, let me tell you it's an awesome show with a slow start but then it's drugs.

finalark

SNORLAX
Is "all of the female characters have different body types" really a negative?
Woah, woah woah. I never said those things were a negative. I was just comparing it to tumblr. I couldn't get into it because the show dragged its heals on getting its overarcing narrative started and aside from Pearl I didn't really care for the main cast much.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have no real interest in watching SU personally but at the same time, I feel like I would have to someday because I feel like it's going to be a culturally significant show going forward.

And if I happen to make a friend or lover who's a big fan of it then I'll REALLY have to. :V

Woah, woah woah. I never said those things were a negative. I was just comparing it to tumblr. I couldn't get into it because the show dragged its heals on getting its overarcing narrative started and aside from Pearl I didn't really care for the main cast much.
Careful about that then, as most people, including myself, tend to interpret any "this is a representation of tumblr" thing to mean a negative. For the obvious SJW connotations, which happen to be a laaaaaarge part of the SU fanbase too.

Last edited:
After doing top 10 games for the 3rd time I realize I really dont have a top 10 because it shifts so often.

Only top 3 have stayed the same
1. Kid Icarus Uprising
2. Xenoblade Chronicles (I hope this gets replaced by x)
3. Wonderful 101

after that I have no idea. Spyro 2 (first game ever) TF2, Halo 2, Metroid Prime 3, and Elder Scrolls Oblivion are all pretty amazing too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Other traps? No
Only guy that you can gay marriage is Zero in the Nohr route
Most os the guys in Fates are husbando material actually, like your two brothers, Xander and Leo :p
Avy? Are you talking about my avatar? If so, I'm sorry but that is really a girl :p
1. Ooooh, he's pretty handsome. I'll take it. :p

2.Well, I was going the Nohr route for good reason, I saw teh husbando material~.

3.Nah, by avatar I mean your main playable character. I was aware that your avatar pic here is female.

finalark

SNORLAX
OH HELL FORGOT TO INCLUDE ES4, SPYRO 2 AND WARCRAFT III. There's also Diablo II, Crash 2, Path of Radiance, the Breath of Fire series.

Making a top ten is hard.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
My top 10 favorites:
1. Undertale
2. Mother 3
3. Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS
4. Super Mario World
5. Xenoblade Chronicles
6. Cave Story
7. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
8. For the Frog the Bell Tolls
9. Kid Icarus Uprising
10. Yo-kai Watch

I want to do exercise, but I'm too lazy.
Help me!
I know the solution:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I've seen a couple episodes of Steven Universe, it's pretty good. I'm not a fan of it by all means, but I can still give credit where it's due.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
My favorite games are (in no specific order):

Majora's Mask

Windwaker

Ocarina of time

Sanic 3 and knooks

Xenoblade

Reserved spot for X

Mother 3

Earthbound

Pokémon HG/SS

Smash Wii U

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why is it always "SJWs are evil!" or "White straight men are evil!"?
Why can't we just agree every side has its rotten apples?
There is literally nothing wrong with a show being "progressive" or whatever you wanf to call it
Because it was a fusion of a male and a female, just do the math
I... I can't even
Everyone is a lesbian
Two(three?) characters are lesbian
Rose was probably an Extreme Omnisexual
1. Ooooh, he's pretty handsome. I'll take it. :p

2.Well, I was going the Nohr route for good reason, I saw teh husbando material~.

3.Nah, by avatar I mean your main playable character. I was aware that your avatar pic here is female.
1-Yeah, I would probably go for Zero if Foleo didn't exist :p
2-Nohr is for real men, Hoshido is for *******
3-I dunno? I haven't seen the avatar creation system but I don't think so. I actually wonder if you can do a trap in Xenoblade X's character creation

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, I've joined the world of PC gaming. I've got Undertale and Ori and the Blind Forest now~

Got up to Snowdin in Undertale, now I'm trying Ori, I've got a feeling it's going to be one of my favorite platformers. The controls are amazing and Ori moves like a dream, overall the most fluid 2D platformer I've played since Rayman Legends.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
My top 10 favorites:
1. Undertale
2. Mother 3
3. Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS
4. Super Mario World
5. Xenoblade Chronicles
6. Cave Story
7. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
8. For the Frog the Bell Tolls
9. Kid Icarus Uprising
10. Yo-kai Watch

I know the solution:
I'm honestly surprised that Yo-kai Watch is in 10 place. Considering how often you talk about it, I thought it would be higher.

Well, I've joined the world of PC gaming. I've got Undertale and Ori and the Blind Forest now~

Got up to Snowdin in Undertale, now I'm trying Ori, I've got a feeling it's going to be one of my favorite platformers. The controls are amazing and Ori moves like a dream, overall the most fluid 2D platformer I've played since Rayman Legends.
Welcome to the Master Race

Don't forget your free copy of TF2 on the way in. Mind the children and the MOBA fans. They can be a bit hostile. Enjoy your stay and remember you're here forever!

I really need to look into Ori. . .I keep hearing about it and I have no idea what it is about. Now its controls have been compared to rayman (bold claim) and now i need to know.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
There is literally nothing wrong with a show being "progressive" or whatever you wanf to call it

Because it was a fusion of a male and a female, just do the math

I... I can't even

Two(three?) characters are lesbian
Rose was probably an Extreme Omnisexual
My point was that it has a lot of themes that appeal to stereotypical tumblrites, and I didn't necessarily mean it in a bad way.

But **** it, I've already shot myself in the foot so any attempts at clarification are irrelevant.

Welcome to the Master Race

Don't forget your free copy of TF2 on the way in. Mind the children and the MOBA fans. They can be a bit hostile. Enjoy your stay and remember you're here forever!
I actually ended up going back to consoles shortly after joining the master race =/

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm honestly surprised that Yo-kai Watch is in 10 place. Considering how often you talk about it, I thought it would be higher.
My only gripe with the game end up being the fact it's so hard to befriend Yo-kai which ended up ripping my experience somewhat, everything else is memorable IMO.
I heard in the sequel, it resolves that catching problem, and the overall quality is so much better when I seen gameplay footage of it. That should climb up to my top 10 relatively quickly.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I really need to look into Ori. . .I keep hearing about it and I have no idea what it is about. Now its controls have been compared to rayman (bold claim) and now i need to know.
I can completely say that any mistake you'd make would be entirely your own and not due to clunky controls. Ori jumps when you say jump, how you say jump, etc. Everything is as smooth as butter but without the slippery-ness. The wall jump is so good...

Won't get TF2 because I hate first person shooters. :happysheep:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So anyways...

No offense to Undertale fans here, but..

Some think that it deserves to win the GameFAQS poll, and beat Super Mario World. Multiple people have proclaimed Undertale is superior to Mario World and Mario in general.

Kinda embarassing.

D

Deleted member

Favorite games?
In no order because it changes depending on my mood but the top 10 always stay the same
  • Chrono Trigger
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Etrian Odyssey II Untold: The Fafnir Knight
  • Pokemon Black(2) and White(2)
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Super Mario World
  • Shovel Knight
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Super Metroid
Honorable mentions: FE Awakening, Cave Story and Portal 2.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I haven't played undertale( and don't plan to, but it sounds really over hyped/talked about to me. That's just my( probably unpopular) opinion though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Speaking of platformers, Shovel Knight was originally on my Top 10 list, but I decided it's a bit too fresh on my mind to really put it in just yet.

Because at the end of the day, Shovel Knight is still an indie, 2d-platformer, and not a ground-breaking (...) one. I might only remember the game for the silly-but-awesome character designs and music one day.

D

Deleted member

I agree. Really, I find it best to just embrace what you like rather than worryibg about what others like or don't like.

1-Yeah, I would probably go for Zero if Foleo didn't exist :p
2-Nohr is for real men, Hoshido is for *******
3-I dunno? I haven't seen the avatar creation system but I don't think so. I actually wonder if you can do a trap in Xenoblade X's character creation
1. Indeed. :p I'm marrying him since Foleo isn't avaible to.
2. Yes, indeed. This is why when my friend buys both for the two of us, I'm having him give me that one. :p
3. Hmmm.... I wonder that too....

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So anyways...

Some think that it deserves to win the GameFAQS poll, and beat Super Mario World. Multiple people have proclaimed Undertale is superior to Mario World and Mario in general.

Kinda embarassing.
Though to be honest I'm not the least bit surprised. Granted in my subjective opinion that is utter bullcrap in every way, but it is the flavor of the month. It's the same when people hyped Shovel Knight to hell and back, or The Last of Us.

Khoru

Smash Champion
So anyways...

Kinda embarassing.
i doubt it will win the gamefaqs poll because it's essentially a popularity contest so it'll be chrono trigger or oot or whatever
i think metroid prime should win overall, but that's just because it's my fave
...that said, that's extremely condescending
"sorry but your opinion is wrong"

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I finished exercising

Thanks for the advices, guys.

About SU... it's awesome.
It was pretty boring in the beggining, but now it's pretty cool, like The Amazing World of Gumball, IMO.

About Undertale, yeah, it's overrated, it's an excellent game, but just... not the best game ever.

And about Yokai Watch not being Fumi's favorite game, wat.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Oh, and top 10 games?

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
2. Super Smash Brothers 4
3. 999
4. Persona 3 and Persona 4 are tied here
5. Thomas Was Alone
6. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of Time
7. Paper Mario 64
8. Super Mario Galaxy 2
9. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
10. Pokemon Pearl

Poots

Smash Journeyman
My top 10 favorites:
I kept my mouth shut when people starting saying they didn't like Undertale and I even held my tongue when some of them were dissing Steven U, but this video finally got a reaction out of me. I just... what even is this and why does it exist? Yokai watch was already balls off the wall crazy enough, who in the world thought it needed this? ESPECIALLY at 0:22.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Though to be honest I'm not the least bit surprised. Granted in my subjective opinion that is utter bullcrap in every way, but it is the flavor of the month. It's the same when people hyped Shovel Knight to hell and back, or The Last of Us.
If I recall Meat Boy, Braid and Binding of Isaac were all all in the center of that indie circle jerk once too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom