• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's great but I always find it unfair Link isnt in these ever (or even Pikachu). Both are more than important enough to be in these images imo (granted in this case it's a Rainbow so kind of can't fit em in anyway lol)
Make Ryu another shade of red, either pacman or Pikachu orange, and Link green with cloud being a turquoise

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791
Meanwhile, in other news...

The most exciting thing for me is that NSMBU P-Switches actually look like P-Switches now.
I hope that enemies controlling the Fire Koopa Clown Cars get to shoot at you too

Make Ryu another shade of red, either pacman or Pikachu orange, and Link green with cloud being a turquoise
I'd actually go with giving Mario a more pure red and Ryu inherit Mario's then add a bit more saturation such that it becomes vermilion

Aren't Link's and Cloud's greens kinda different enough already to not warrant a turquoise? If anything I'd probably aim for a line to grass green for Link (which is how Sm4sh codifies his official color iirc)

I feel like Pac deserves pure yellow but I think for chromatic appeal a slight shift to lemon while Pika gets gold yellow would work

Last edited:

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
It's great but I always find it unfair Link isnt in these ever (or even Pikachu). Both are more than important enough to be in these images imo (granted in this case it's a Rainbow so kind of can't fit em in anyway lol)
I considered putting those 2 in, yeah, but I only had about an hour before I had to go to school so I decided to make one just showcasing 3rd parties. I can make a version with Link and Pikachu once I get home. :upsidedown:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Currently having an argument with PushDustIn PushDustIn . He thinks Bayonetta got in because NON-Nintendo fans voted for her.

I am saying she got in because she had a Nintendo exclusive title and Nintendo fans rallied around her. The series was too niche and didn't have that many non-Nintendo fans. He thinks her having a Nintendo exclusive title had nothing to do with her votes.

What side are you on?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Currently having an argument with PushDustIn PushDustIn . He thinks Bayonetta got in because NON-Nintendo fans voted for her.

I am saying she got in because she had a Nintendo exclusive title and Nintendo fans rallied around her. The series was too niche and didn't have that many non-Nintendo fans. He thinks her having a Nintendo exclusive title had nothing to do with her votes.

What side are you on?
It was a bit of both. She would not have won with just one or the other.

And I still stand by saying that there was at least a small portion that voted for her out of the pure sex appeal aspect.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

What side are you on?
I would think that non-Nintendo fans voted for troll suggestions instead. Bayonetta 2 was recieved super well (even though it sold bad), so I'm on your team personally.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

The most exciting thing for me is that NSMBU P-Switches actually look like P-Switches now.
I love the P-switch doors and the fire clown cars.

Now the doors can be used like in Super Mario World where you have to hit the switch to make doors appear.

I like that the clown cars can shoot fire... now we can make SHMUP levels... even recreate Sky Pop and Marine Pop levels from Super Mario Land...

The bumpers are pretty cool. I like how they are designed after Lemmy's bouncy balls.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

What side are you on?
I think it's entirely possible that non-Nintendo fans influenced the ballot somehow.

I've seen people that weren't that interested in Smash but the inclusion of Bayonetta managed to convince them to get a 3DS or Wii U for Smash.

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791

What side are you on?
I'm trying to work out what motivations the non-Ninty fanbase would vote her on besides sex appeal. Compared with Ryu and Cloud who are most certainly pillars of gaming, (and also because I don't know enough about the nature of Bayo fans,) would a general gamer know enough about Bayo AND Smash to be convinced to see her make it in?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think Bayonetta may be a case in which the character is popular, but doesn't mean a lot of people have played her games.

D

Deleted member

Bouncers are gonna be fun
P-Doors will allow me to change some stuff on my levels
Fire Koopa Clown Car is perfect for bullet hell levels and I'm gonna make some

What side are you on?
Non-Nintendo fans wouldn't care nor vote on the ballot
It's really pissing me off how people are trying to discredit Bayonetta's popularity
"Oh, someone made a bunch of bots"
"Oh, Sakurai made the results up"
"Oh, something something salt"

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm trying to work out what motivations the non-Ninty fanbase would vote her on besides sex appeal. Compared with Ryu and Cloud who are most certainly pillars of gaming, (and also because I don't know enough about the nature of Bayo fans,) would a general gamer know enough about Bayo AND Smash to be convinced to see her make it in?
Bayonetta 1 was on Xbox 360 and PS3 way before Wii U. And those are the best selling iterations of Bayonetta.

There's your answer.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Bouncers are gonna be fun
P-Doors will allow me to change some stuff on my levels
Fire Koopa Clown Car is perfect for bullet hell levels and I'm gonna make some

Non-Nintendo fans wouldn't care nor vote on the ballot
It's really pissing me off how people are trying to discredit Bayonetta's popularity
"Oh, someone made a bunch of bots"
"Oh, Sakurai made the results up"
"Oh, something something salt"
I'm not saying she's not popular in the context of Smash, and I don't think Sakurai is making up numbers. I'm just saying that she became a popular choice for Smash because Nintendo "saved" Bayonetta 2. I don't think she would have gotten the same number of votes if Bayonetta 2 was multi-platform.

Bayonetta 1 was on Xbox 360 and PS3 way before Wii U. And those are the best selling iterations of Bayonetta.

There's your answer.
Right, but those games combined sold about 1/3 of what Resident Evil 5 sold, for example. If the game didn't have ties to Nintendo then there are many much larger franchises that non-Nintendo fans are invested in.

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
I think every single person who played bayonetta wanted her day one.
Considering the game"failed" with 0.9 million sales.
It is an unfair comparison with the few hundreds inside this smash communnity that wanted X or Y characters that the big masses,including nintendo ones, don't care for.
It is also funny seeing the reaction from most of Bayonetta supporters expecting her somehow.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not saying she's not popular in the context of Smash, and I don't think Sakurai is making up numbers. I'm just saying that she became a popular choice for Smash because Nintendo "saved" Bayonetta 2. I don't think she would have gotten the same number of votes if Bayonetta 2 was multi-platform.
I was replying to Push's side of the argument
Sorry if it wasn't clear

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I love the P-switch doors and the fire clown cars.

Now the doors can be used like in Super Mario World where you have to hit the switch to make doors appear.

I like that the clown cars can shoot fire... now we can make SHMUP levels... even recreate Sky Pop and Marine Pop levels from Super Mario Land...

The bumpers are pretty cool. I like how they are designed after Lemmy's bouncy balls.
Tatanga boss character when?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I was replying to Push's side of the argument
Sorry if it wasn't clear
In that case it's even more confusing.

Push's side of the argument assumes her popularity goes further than just the Nintendo fans. Whatever the reasons there could be for that, that's hardly discrediting her popularity.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
"most Bayonetta supporters expected her"

I sure as hell didn't. I basically gave up on support for the character around S
mash 4's release (but I still voted on the ballot for her. :x)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
In that case it's even more confusing.

Push's side of the argument assumes her popularity goes further than just the Nintendo fans. Whatever the reasons there could be for that, that's hardly discrediting her popularity.
I'm not saying her popularity is only with Nintendo fans, I just feel that Nintendo fans are the ones that primarily voted on her here. She's kind of popular, but she's not an industry juggernaut.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Damage Up affects all weapons; however, it cannot lower the amount of hits it takes to splat an opponent, meaning that is is only useful with most weapons if the opponent has the Defense Up ability. The ability does lower the amount of time that a player using a charger needs to charge their weapon to splat an opponent, making it more useful with chargers.

http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Damage_Up
Yeah, looked it up on said site, and I guess it is.. true enough, I suppose? :s Thank you kindly. Shame I have used it for naught so much, haha.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Right, but those games combined sold about 1/3 of what Resident Evil 5 sold, for example. If the game didn't have ties to Nintendo then there are many much larger franchises that non-Nintendo fans are invested in.
That doesn't matter, my point is that it wasn't just Nintendo fans or non-Nintendo fans.

And as I said earlier in the thread, people had plenty of reasons to know and like the character without playing her game, be it sex appeal, hearing about the greatness of her game and knowing it's cream of the crop of action games, etc.

Not to mention used sales which are common on other platforms and don't get accounted for in sales.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So my friend has had a handful of videos recently uploaded. I just want to give you guys a sample and see if you guys see any improvements or not in it. I haven't watched it yet as I don't have time right now (tonight I will though.) So, let me know what you guys think!

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
1. I was saying that none of the campaigning had any effect on the actual results. (silent majority argument that I've stated for a long time).

2. Looking at the top viewed ballot prediction videos on YouTube show no signs of Bayonetta.

3. The ballot wasn't just open to Nintendo fans. We also have no idea what "acceptable means". If they wanted just Smash/ Nintendo fans they could have tied the voting to surveys on Club Nintendo. I believe they were interested in appealing to a wider audience (to some extent).

Spazzy_D Spazzy_D said it was all Nintendo fans voting for her. I really don't think so as the time frame between her release and the ballot was too long. Most of the mentions of Bayonetta in Smash were from pre release.

Not dissing Bayonetta or her popularity, in fact I'm saying she has some general appeal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Regardless, I do think there are quiet majorities out there and that the popularity of certain characters was indeed overestimated.

And yeah, people do often want characters in despite never playing their games.(I have many friends who wanted K Rool despite never playing a single DK game, same with shantae and shovel knight.)

Like seriously, one of my friends who's really upset over announcment wanted shantae in, I asked him why and he simpilily stated "I don't know, she seems to fit in I guess." Many people probably think the same thing for a multitude of characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

What side are you on?
I'm on Push side.

That said, Nintendo fans had the influence as well because of the game. Remember, the first game had sold 1M on 360/PS3 and people who owned the 360 version knew how wonderful the character and game was, knew that the Wii U sequel would be incredible and it was. It won so many GOTY awards last year.

Bayonetta had influence from every spectrum so saying it was from Non-Nintendo or total Nintendo fans were her supporters

It was BOTH SIDES

Strofirko

Smash Master
On this argument we can consider also the fans of the hack'n slash genre as a whole,not many can have a wii u,but likes Bayonetta somehow,considering the game is the spiritual sucessor of one of the role models of the genre (Devil May Cry),and the character was the most accessible by nintendo,I can see where some of the votes came from.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
1. I was saying that none of the campaigning had any effect on the actual results. (silent majority argument that I've stated for a long time).

2. Looking at the top viewed ballot prediction videos on YouTube show no signs of Bayonetta.

3. The ballot wasn't just open to Nintendo fans. We also have no idea what "acceptable means". If they wanted just Smash/ Nintendo fans they could have tied the voting to surveys on Club Nintendo. I believe they were interested in appealing to a wider audience (to some extent).

Spazzy_D Spazzy_D said it was all Nintendo fans voting for her. I really don't think so as the time frame between her release and the ballot was too long. Most of the mentions of Bayonetta in Smash were from pre release.

Not dissing Bayonetta or her popularity, in fact I'm saying she has some general appeal.
The issue is that it's a niche series, and Nintendo continued to use her in promotions. She is not top 10 on most best PS3 or Xbox 360 games lists. There are bigger characters out there. People were talking about her as a Smash rep since the game was announed as a Nintendo exclusive.

Also, point 1 is that top viewed on YouTube don't include her, and point 2 is that campaigns had no effect. Isn't that contradictory?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm with Push here. Character popularity doesn't just come from people who play the games.

The fact non-Nintendo fans voted for Bayonetta wouldn't discredit her popularity. It would mean that she's popular among the gaming community overall, rather than just the Nintendo fandom.

Don't you remember the backlash from the fact Bayo2 was Wii U exclusive?

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The issue is that it's a niche series, and Nintendo continued to use her in promotions. She is not top 10 on most best PS3 or Xbox 360 games lists. There are bigger characters out there. People were talking about her as a Smash rep since the game was announed as a Nintendo exclusive.

Also, point 1 is that top viewed on YouTube don't include her, and point 2 is that campaigns had no effect. Isn't that contradictory?
She's not as niche as most people believe. Remember the massive backlash against Bayonetta 2 on Wii U and how so many people were upset that it wasn't on the other consoles and the BS campaign to try it get it on 360/PS3 again but it was founded out that Nintendo funded the sequel.

It's not as niche if it cause that much salt and demand for the game

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm with Push here. Character popularity doesn't just come from people who play the games.

The fact non-Nintendo fans voted for Bayonetta wouldn't discredit her popularity. It would mean that she's popular among the gaming community overall, rather than just the Nintendo fandom.

Don't you remember the backlash from the fact Bayo2 was Wii U exclusive?
People just don't like Nintendo fans having nice things.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Well no that's actually because the Wii U didn't appeal to Bayo's original audience (at that time at least, and it still really doesn't). Most people didn't want to drop $250 for a console for one game.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Maybe I'm just too cynical to believe that non-Nintendo fans would vote for a legitimately cool character. :laugh:

Really happy with her inclusion, can't wait to try her out.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Bayonetta is a niche game in the sense it mostly targets more hardcore gamers.

Casual players likely don't know who Bayonetta is, but she is popular within the gaming community, who probably had the bigger influence in the ballot, IMO.

Assuming all this, she would actually have advantage over Nintendo characters due to having support from non-Nintendo gamers. I doubt characters like K. Rool, Isaac and Inklings would have any support from people outside of the Nintendo fandom.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Bayonetta is a niche game in the sense it mostly targets more hardcore gamers.

Casual players likely don't know who Bayonetta is, but she is popular within the gaming community, who probably had the bigger influence in the ballot, IMO.

Assuming all this, she would actually have advantage over Nintendo characters due to having support from non-Nintendo gamers. I doubt characters like K. Rool, Isaac and Inklings would have any support from people outside of the Nintendo fandom.
How many non-Nintendo fans are going to care enough to vote in the first place? If they were voting just on want, there are many 360 and PS3 games that sold (a lot more), were reviewed better, and are generally more popular.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
People just don't like Nintendo fans having nice things.
Nope, people don't like games being on anything but the most demanded.

• Remember the massive asspain Final Fantasy 13 got when people found out that it was on Xbox 360 instead of being PS3 exclusive
  • Remember when Rise of the Tomb Raider was a timed exclusive on Xbox One and how many people were upset
  • The anger of Persona Q being on the 3DS
  • Street Fighter V exclusive to PS4 anger
  • Bloodborne on PS4 and how people were desperate for a PC port

Trust me, ******** exist no matter the platform.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

Nope, point two is proven by point one. The hardcore Smash fanbase's drive (the people watching and making the videos) to the polls had no apparent effect on the results.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
How many non-Nintendo fans are going to care enough to vote in the first place? If they were voting just on want, there are many 360 and PS3 games that sold (a lot more), were reviewed better, and are generally more popular.
There are plenty of gaming fans that don't stick to a console and simply play games from across the medium, regardless of console or whatever.

Yes, there are the fanboys who waste time with petty console wars, but do know that the Smash Bros. Ballot was reported by gaming media overall, thus having exposure to those gamers.

There were Bayonetta fans who got a Wii U for Bayo2. Smash fans saw the ballot as if it was a popularity contest for themselves, but forgot to look at the big picture.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Nope, people don't like games being on anything but the most demanded.

• Remember the massive asspain Final Fantasy 13 got when people found out that it was on Xbox 360 instead of being PS3 exclusive
  • Remember when Rise of the Tomb Raider was a timed exclusive on Xbox One and how many people were upset
  • The anger of Persona Q being on the 3DS
  • Street Fighter V exclusive to PS4 anger
  • Bloodborne on PS4 and how people were desperate for a PC port

Trust me, ******** exist no matter the platform.
Well, yeah, fan boy wars. I get it.

It's like small children. Or dogs. Let's say there's a bone, and neither dog is playing with it. The minute one dog starts chewing on it the other wants it.

We're all just animals.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Not to start an argument,

But do you guys think Bayonetta really won the ballot?

I'm not saying that they're lying to us. But do you think there was some tampering involved? Did they let people vote as many times as they want, thus allowing for bots to take over?

Now look, I'm fine with her inclusion and am happy for her fanbase. I'm just sort of shocked that she was never on the table for any of our discussions, yet she won. I never expected the fan polls to be an indicator (I never thought K Rool or Shantae actually "won"), but I really am confused on how she ended up being #1 Worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom