• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's a single video game out there that isn't wasted potential. Every video game does something stupid and several other things mediocre somewhere along the lines, and every game has a haterbase that would be much smaller if it fixed it's problems.

I'd say the games with the biggest wasted potential in my eyes are the ones I love most, because it's easiest for me to see the flaws in them and all the people who are disappointed in them.
Honestly ALL media is "wasted potential"

There is always room to improve. Unfortunate, but it's why it is usually better to focus on the positives unless the negatives are just too overwhelming.

As for the second paragraph, i deeply wish to share that sentiment, as i've criticized uprisng (my favorite game if all time) many times to the point of foolishness (calling it more flawed that KI NES) and other series like Kingdom Hearts. . .but then i remember i wasnt able to think of a single negative for Xenoblade (wii) other than collectibles for a long time and had trouble finding flaws in W101 (in which i am sure there are many)

Ignorance is bliss i suppose :p

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Honestly ALL media is "wasted potential"

There is always room to improve. Unfortunate, but it's why it is usually better to focus on the positives unless the negatives are just too overwhelming.

As for the second paragraph, i deeply wish to share that sentiment, as i've criticized uprisng (my favorite game if all time) many times to the point of foolishness (calling it more flawed that KI NES) and other series like Kingdom Hearts. . .but then i remember i wasnt able to think of a single negative for Xenoblade (wii) other than collectibles for a long time and had trouble finding flaws in W101 (in which i am sure there are many)

Ignorance is bliss i suppose :p
I agree that sometimes it's incredibly hard to think of what specifically is wrong with a game you like. However, it can be just as hard (or even harder!) to find the flaws in something you think is "just OK" or even dislike. I think it just depends on the person which games are easier to see specific issues with outside of "I like" or "I don't like." That, and how often the negative details of a series are brought up by the fandom will also effect how objectively you're willing to analyze it. Uprising had it's fair share of complaints and I'm sure a major series like Kingdom Hearts does, too, but the first Xenoblade and W101 are primarily discussed positively when brought up where I can see them.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The one game that lived up to its potential if not even better was IMO, Megaman X.

I'm not gonna go on an Egoraptor tier ****fest over it but damn it did something so incredible for the series and gave it new life than what the last few games could never accomplish at the time

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Is Xenoblade X a bad game? I haven't played it before but I thought people had favorable thoughts on the game. Was it a step down from the first Xenoblade?
It is excellent gameplay-wise. However, some people had issues with the main story which is understandable since the prequel was heavily story driven. That said, I think the game is being unfairly criticized because Monolith Soft stated that it was their first HD project and as a result, the story would not be their main focus. While the main story is considered to be "weaker" compared to the original, the overall story is on par or far surpasses it if you count all the story missions, affinity missions, and normal missions. Basically XC = Ocarina of Time while XCX = Majora's Mask.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The best thing about Xenoblade Chronicles X is that Lin shares the same English VA with Taiga.

Other than that, I got up to the part with the aliens and haven't touched the game in months.
It just got rid of everything right from Xenoblade and added all the wrong things.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The best thing about Xenoblade Chronicles X is that Lin shares the same English VA with Taiga.

Other than that, I got up to the part with the aliens and haven't touched the game in months.
It just got rid of everything right from Xenoblade and added all the wrong things.
Got up to the part with the aliens? So all you did was start the game then?

----

We talking about wasted potential?

How about this...

-Very underwhelming launch with not a lot of worth while games
-fairly poor marketing
-limited third party support especially compared to other platforms this gen
-still a relatively weak system
-Smash Wii U was heavily overshadowed by it's handheld counterpart (still believe it was a horrible marketing strategy the way the two were handled)
-Zelda's taking waaay too long...
-<insert various neglected fan favourite franchises that won't be on the Wii U> (Metroid, F-Zero, etc)

D

Deleted member

Got up to the part with the aliens? So all you did was start the game then?

----

We talking about wasted potential?

How about this...

-Very underwhelming launch with not a lot of worth while games
-fairly poor marketing
-limited third party support especially compared to other platforms this gen
-still a relatively weak system
-Smash Wii U was heavily overshadowed by it's handheld counterpart (still believe it was a horrible marketing strategy the way the two were handled)
-Zelda's taking waaay too long...
-<insert various neglected fan favourite franchises that won't be on the Wii U> (Metroid, F-Zero, etc)
And on top of that, right when some very noteworthy games that aren't Smash finally come around for it....

There's already another system planned. :p Just showing how underwhelming the Wii U's run was.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You know, sometimes I ponder just how much of a gimmick I truly am.
Like who am I? A debater? A cranky old man? Or just a living Substitute? Sometimes it's one note, and other times I feel there's depth.

Though that's just me.

In terms of wasted potential:

Playstation All-Stars. Smash Bros clone jokes aside, the idea of a Sony mascot fighter isn't inherently a bad idea. Hell, I would've loved it to be a hit. Just imagine the possibilities that could happen with it.
But what ended up happening was a flawed game with ideas sounding better on paper than in action.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That TMNT smash fighting game

WTF?

Wasted potential

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
About the messages/drawings in Mario Maker, I checked and you have to upload the level first, then play it, put Mario in the place where you want the Miiverse post, go to Miiverse and post something, complicated and bad.
Also, they don't show in Coursebot, and other people can post crap in your level too, so, meh.
Most people don't have the Miiverse posts activated anyways.

I would pay money for blocks with messages or drawings inside.

MONEY!
DO YOU HATE MONEY NINTENDO?!

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Games with wasted potential?

Spider-Man: Edge of Time. Shattered Dimensions was such a cool game, then for the sequel they cut the number of Spideys in half, made the entire game boring, semi-futuristic hallways, and it was just all around less interesting.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Xenoblade Chronicles is gonna be one of THOSE series, isn't it?

Where no game can live up to the original no matter what it does?

Because those series's straight up die and it's not even the game's fault.

That's all on fans overhyping the game and demand perfection.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had a lucid dream last night. Sort of... I realized it was a dream from a couple of things including a drawing I made a long time ago being in it and I realizing the drawing couldn't be where it was.

While I realized it was a dream and gained control, I barely had any control at all.

All I did was go outside and see what I could change. All I ended up doing was being able to pick up some cars with my mind and throw them. And shut the door on some other people from my family that seemed to want to join my dream.

Then for some reason I decided I wanted to create my dream girl, but I couldn't do it and the dream sort of slowly faded out and I woke up.

Worst lucid dream ever

D

Deleted member

I'm late, but that death battle with Bayonetta VS Dante was so awesome.

DANTE! DANTE! DANTE!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Zelda is like that in terms of 3D games, but it's not dying. Not to mention XCX has some things which just irk people. The game doesn't explain ****, it doesn't explain how you can use the frontier nav system the game pushes down your throat (Which got me stuck in an affinity quest for 10 hours at the beginning of the game), it doesn't explain how to use consumable items, it doesn't explain how you change your Miranium maximum, I went from 9000 to 6000 and I have no clue how. And the worst offender in that imo is how unlike the original game, the characters' play styles aren't explained, if you wanted to see what Melia was good at, you could look at that information in an accessible menu in the game. Here, find out yourself, I would have never known L was a tank if it wasn't for the internet. What I also find bull**** is how you can't change the Soul Voices or classes of your teammates, which can be rather frustrating as they have Class Ranks too, but you can't do anything with it. Then again, it doesn't really matter, I only recently found out that you can play as other characters, as you know, the game does such an EXCELLENT job at explaining it. Despite this criticisms, I still think the near 90 hours I put in the game are worth it

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
100% in Super Mario World has eluded me.

I found every secret I've know about and I'm only at 94%

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Kirby Dreamland 3 is like that, beating the bosses without all the collectibles counts towards the percentage, meaning if you get them all before fighting the boss of the area, you are screwed out of 100%
That is utter bull.

Good thing I missed stuff in my play through.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Edit: Got it!

Highest % is actually 96

I got it by beating Star Road the NORMAL routes

I forgot you had to beat them the normal and hidden, since you don't advance if you beat them normally

You get a star next to your profile!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't think there's a single video game out there that isn't wasted potential. Every video game does something stupid and several other things mediocre somewhere along the lines, and every game has a haterbase that would be much smaller if it fixed it's problems.

I'd say the games with the biggest wasted potential in my eyes are the ones I love most, because it's easiest for me to see the flaws in them and all the people who are disappointed in them.
This isn't the case at all. Sure, you can come up with little things a game could have done, but it's not really wasted potential if it isn't something significant and important.

Shovel Knight is an example of a game that doesn't have any wasted potential. Even in it's current state, it doesn't do anything wrong or miss out on anything that's causing the game to be worse.

And even despite that, it's STILL getting more, FREE content. Every penny spent on this game is well worth it.

Wasted potential refers to things a game SHOULD have done, not every little alternate reality the game could have had. For example, I didn't say Smash Wii U has wasted potential because it didn't have my favourite characters or something, I said it because the game objectively screws up or is lacking in many features it should have as standard, or it's predecessors had them.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
These themes are so catchy, too bad you couldn't listen to most of them uninterrupted in game :ohwell:
That's one of the few things the Eggmanland level got right.
Not going into the Werehog battle music for every fight. I don't think people would have minded it as much if the music was changed slightly for each continent.

D

Deleted member

I didn't have the chance to post my take on wasted potential last night so

"Hey, remember that game you always wanted a sequel for? Well, **** you"
.......How?.......How do you even mistake him to be one?

I don't think it is fair to say Subaki is literally a genderbent Cordelia. Cordelia's experiences with her Pegasus comrades at least help her to take advice when needed(like in her Libra support) and helped her to humble herself. Subaki is boastful, prideful, one heck of a narcissist and becomes timid and timorous at any time he feels himself become "imperfect". I mean, he goes nuts over the fact that his tummy growled.
That being said, his Sakura supports gives him his motivation for his strive to be perfect and his Selena supports give him a great moment of humbleness. And those 2 are some of his best supports IMO.
Cordelia is just as bad imo
She is literally perfect and her only flaw is that... she can't see that
But this never plays on her character so she's constantly doing everhthing perfectly, others compliment her for it and she says "nuh-uh, I'm not special" which gets annoying pretty quickly

And Subaki falling off his pegasus when he first met Sakura so he has to be perfect is a dumb excuse

Last edited by a moderator:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Zelda is like that in terms of 3D games, but it's not dying. Not to mention XCX has some things which just irk people. The game doesn't explain ****, it doesn't explain how you can use the frontier nav system the game pushes down your throat (Which got me stuck in an affinity quest for 10 hours at the beginning of the game), it doesn't explain how to use consumable items, it doesn't explain how you change your Miranium maximum, I went from 9000 to 6000 and I have no clue how. And the worst offender in that imo is how unlike the original game, the characters' play styles aren't explained, if you wanted to see what Melia was good at, you could look at that information in an accessible menu in the game. Here, find out yourself, I would have never known L was a tank if it wasn't for the internet. What I also find bull**** is how you can't change the Soul Voices or classes of your teammates, which can be rather frustrating as they have Class Ranks too, but you can't do anything with it. Then again, it doesn't really matter, I only recently found out that you can play as other characters, as you know, the game does such an EXCELLENT job at explaining it. Despite this criticisms, I still think the near 90 hours I put in the game are worth it
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT
YOU CAN CHANGE TO PLAY AS THE OTHER CHARACTERS?!
I BEAT THE ENTIRE GAME AND WENT TO THE LEVEL CAP AND THOUGHT THIS WAS IMPOSSIBLE.
I TRIED AND SAW NO WAY TO BE ABLE TO DO SO
I STATED IT AS A BAD REMOVAL OF A FEATURE IN MY REVIEW AND NOBODY CORRECTED ME O IT

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Games/other media with wasted potential?

You've stumped me there.
Here's an easy one: Sword Art Online.
------------------------------------------------------
My thoughts on Daredevil Season 2 coming in just a bit

Last edited:
A Distant Demon A Distant Demon XCX didn't remove red aggro lines. However, I only ever saw it on a single enemy in I believe Cauldros
I think that might just be lock-on/taunt/whatever XCX calls it.

Ehhh im not sure about that one. XCX is still a pretty damn good game with some weird choices. I haven't seen many people, if at all, saying X is a bad game. Complaints certainly, but not necessarily calling the game bad. We've already heard from monolith they want to improve the story (the one big complaint) so if that's true it will probably be fine after after this.

It's just a case of awkward sequel syndrome. Add the fact that not a lot of people played the originaland i dont think too many people will be complaining about it for too long :p

TLDR im certain that XCX2 will be great and far more positively received than XCX

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Here's an easy one: Sword Art Online.
------------------------------------------------------
My thoughts on Daredevil Season 2 coming in just a bit
At least SAO somewhat redeems itself with a sequel that fixes many of the issues from the original.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT
YOU CAN CHANGE TO PLAY AS THE OTHER CHARACTERS?!
I BEAT THE ENTIRE GAME AND WENT TO THE LEVEL CAP AND THOUGHT THIS WAS IMPOSSIBLE.
I TRIED AND SAW NO WAY TO BE ABLE TO DO SO
I STATED IT AS A BAD REMOVAL OF A FEATURE IN MY REVIEW AND NOBODY CORRECTED ME O IT
Yeah...lol

When you go to the Active Members you can switch Cross with the character you want to play as...Whoever's at the top of your party is the leader...You can pretty much do anything with any character so long as they are not restricted for that mission, and Cross is the only character that HAS to be on your squad at all times...
This came in handy because of Elma's Shadowrunner...

D

Deleted member

Yeah...lol

When you go to the Active Members you can switch Cross with the character you want to play as...Whoever's at the top of your party is the leader...You can pretty much do anything with any character so long as they are not restricted for that mission, and Cross is the only character that HAS to be on your squad at all times...
This came in handy because of Elma's Shadowrunner...
What the
I tried doing that but for some reason the game didn't let me do it
At least SAO somewhat redeems itself with a sequel that fixes many of the issues from the original.
Yeah... no
DEATHO GUNNO

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
So Daredevil Season 2
What can I say? I loved it.
Seeing Matt's relationships with Foggy and Karen being put to the test by his going out and dealing with the Punisher and his rekindled relationship with Elektra was rather well done. Of course Foggy's already aware of Matt being Daredevil so it's more just escalating off of that. Karen however doesn't know this right until the end of the season so her relation with Matt is very bumpy. It starts off really well with them going out and all that and then Elektra comes in and that culminates in Karen walking in on Matt, Stick and Elektra which pisses her off. Basically Matt constantly pisses his friends off which really doesn't help when they're in court defending Frank Castle.

Karen herself is also taking up journalism due to Ben Ulrich in Season 1 and we see her also develop a relationship with Frank in which she really wants to help him figure out the truth about him. This was handled rather well as she goes about snooping.

Here's the big one. The Punisher himself.
Jon Bernthal is perfect as Frank. His performance is simply brilliant and this is best exhibited in Episode 3 and 4 when he's speaking to Matt (whom he calls Red). Episode 4 really, really makes you feel for him and from that point the courtroom drama starts. We learn more about his past (Military tours in the Middle East, his sayings coming from his children's books and tv shows) and we see just how unstable he really is as the end of the courtroom has him in an outburst about how he was happy to kill the criminals and he'd do so again and again. To put it simply Punisher was handled really well.

Elektra. There's a fair bit I can say here. She didn't quite carry as much weight as the Punisher but she still had a significant impact being another person from Matt's past that's come back. As with Karen the relation between the two is rather rocky because Matt has so many other duties to tend to such as going on dates with Karen and defending Frank in court. This all does culminate in them saying they love each other. However this is all marred by her supposedly dying in the final battle. We see her buried but then the Hand take her from the grave and take her to their base. Probably to be revived?

A rather pleasant surprise was brining Wilson Fisk back if only for an episode or two as he's been pulling some strings from inside prison. His small part is still rather vital as this sets up the final few episodes with Punisher on the run after Fisk orchestrates his escape and we get to see another interaction between matt and Fisk. It was also nice seeing Fisk start at the bottom of the Prison hierarchy and manipulating frank to put him up on top even if this didn't really last long. So another good performance.

There's various other characters to mention too such as Reyes, the District Attorney. She's got some history with Frank and you immediately suspect her of covering something up. This is a constant theme throughout with autopsies being altered among other things. They really make you dislike her for the right reasons. She's an absolute ***** willing to manipulate situations to get what she wants. She then redeems herself somewhat once everyone's aware of Frank's escape by admitting to what she did. Then she's killed, supposedly by Frank.

The fight scenes. Season 1 set a high bar with the hallway fight in Episode 3. This season has a fight much like that that's just as good as it. All one take right until near the end of the fight in which we see Matt using chains (Ghost Rider series pls) to take on some angry bikers (whose bikes had been destroyed by Frank) as he descends an apartment block he was held on. Again every fight scene is well shot and well choreographed. Frank's scenes where she shoots up people were well done to catch the hectic nature of the carnage and it's the aftermath where we really see how destructive he is. He has a notable scene in Prison where he kills a bunch of inmates (as set up by Fisk).

There's a lot more to talk about and all of it good but some minor nitpicks of mine include Foggy (again sadly) and Elektra. Something just seemed a little off about her for some reason but I can't really think of why. There's a few plot points that felt sloppy/rushed mainly to do with Nobu and the Hand.

TL;DR
The season was overall very enjoyable to watch and Jon Bernthal is amazing as the Punisher and I can't wait to see a series about him. Charlie Cox is great as Matt again, the fights are great yet again and several characters were very enticing. Foggy and Elektra were weaker than the others plus a few plot issues that felt rushed/sloppy though and they're my only issue.

"9/10 - just as good as Season 1." - Some guy on the internet

Bring on September 30th for Luke Cage.

Last edited:
I think you arent able to switch off off cross at the beginning of the game because i couldnt either.

If i were to make a guess i would say switching off of cross is available after chapter 4

Because mimeosomes

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
What the
I tried doing that but for some reason the game didn't let me do it

Yeah... no
DEATHO GUNNO
Were you trying to switch your characters within your squad or were you trying to switch Cross out of your party? Because you should be able to switch to any recruitable character, but you can't remove Cross from your squad...if you are recruiting a character you have to switch them into your squad first then switch them to the leader's position...

D

Deleted member

Jesus christ, Felicia is SO much better than Jakob
She's more magic oriented than him which makes him better for offense(with the daggers) and her for healing
But once you get the Flame Shuriken(which is a Magic Weapon) she can kill everything
She can deal 20+ damage, double and almost always has a perfect hit%
I think you arent able to switch off off cross at the beginning of the game because i couldnt either.

If i were to make a guess i would say switching off of cross is available after chapter 4

Because mimeosomes
I think that was it
I was around Chapter 3 when I tried it

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Turns out I was working an hour later than I thought this morning (I usually start work sometime between 9 and 12, so I do get confused some mornings) so I decided to play a bit of Pokken to burn that hour...getting the hang of it...

Weavile's so fast, I love it!!

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

Because mimeosomes
Although I don't remember what chapter, but looking back at my previous posts, I was able to control Elma before Chapter 4. I think the option to control other characters is available right from the start. Or at least until Lin joins the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom