• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Supreme Dirt Back Room Ruleset V.1.1 - Stage list and CP system revised

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Supreme Dirt Back Room Ruleset
-Version 1.1-

The following ruleset has been created by one person, not by a committee, after more than a year of constantly redefining my own stance on things such as stages, character legality, and "limiting" characters. Odds are there are several oversights in my ruleset. Please point out anything and everything that seems... off and I'll do my best to justify it. I initially used the Unity ruleset as a base for this ruleset, and any major differences from that are bolded. Also I apologize for the double spaces everywhere, I used typewith.me to work on this and apparently the initial copy paste caused them. I only noticed them minutes before I was going to post this and had somehow missed them over the past... week or so. Not going to delay this any further. Copying back caused it too. Can only learn from this and not use typewith for future SWF posts. And plenty of formatting hiccups exist too.

General Gameplay Rules
~ 3 Stocks
~ 9 Minute Time Limit
~ Items set to "On" and "None"
~ Pause set to "Off"
~ Meta Knight is banned in Singles and Doubles.
~ King Dedede's infinites are banned. An infinite is defined as any unescapable combination of moves that can continue uninterrupted for the entire duration of the match.
~ The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
~ Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects. Note that in the specific case of breaking from Yoshi's grab causing the game to crash, the player of the grabbed character will be considered the one at fault.
~ If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:

• In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
  • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 18 is used for all characters.
  • In the cases of Ganondorf or Bowser ending the game with Flame Choke or Koopa Claw respectively, the results screen will be ignored in both cases and the initiator of the move wins, due to the semi-random nature of both moves.

Modified Rules for Doubles
~ Team Attack set to "On"
~ Life stealing is allowed.
~ In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
~ In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
~ If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.

Set Procedure
~ Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
~ Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
~ Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
~ The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-1 (Team 1 strikes one stages, followed by Team 2 striking one stage).
~ The first match is played.
~ The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
~ The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Group Ban" if they have not already done so in this set. All stages in that CP group are banned.
~ The Team that lost the previous match selects one of the remaining three CP groups.
~ The Team that won the previous match bans one stage from the selected group if it is group 1 or 2, or 2 stages from the selected group if it is group 3 or 4.
~ The Team that lost the previous match selects the stage to be played on from the remaining stages in that group. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.

~ The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
~ The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
~ The next match is played.
~ Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
~ Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).

Stage List

Group 1 - Starters
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise

Group 2 - Minor CPs
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Final Destination
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd

Group 3 - Large Stages
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium II
Pokémon Stadium
Port Town Aero Dive
Jungle Japes
Onett
Rainbow Cruise

Group 4 - Hard CPs
Distant Planet
Luigi's Mansion
Skyworld
Yoshi's Island: Brawl
Brinstar
Green Greens
Yoshi's Island: Melee

Banned
75m
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Green Hill Zone
Hanenbow
Mario Bros.
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2
New Pork City
Pictochat
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses Island
Spear Pillar
Summit
WarioWare, Inc.
Big Blue
Corneria
Temple

Conduct Rules
BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
In the event pause is left on accidentally and is pressed, immediately call over the TO. Based upon their judgment, the situation will be resolved. If your situation is neutral [players are not in combat], the match will be resumed as if the pause had not occurred. If your situation is advantageous to one individual and the player in the disadvantageous situation paused, the disadvantaged player will be either placed in a grab or onto the ledge of the stage. If a player in a death situation [Chain grabs, Grab releases, Jab-locks to a kill move, etc] paused while in a death situation, the current stock is forfeited immediately. If you unpause before the TO reaches the station, the player that unpaused losses a stock.
During gameplay, any coaching parties must remain a finite distance determined by the TO away from the players in order to give players equal access to all coached information. Ear-side coaching is prohibited during games, but acceptable between games. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the coach's removal from the venue or a call to replay the game that the coaching interfered with.
Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
Regarding textures and other game hacks:

• Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.

• The URC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.

• Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.

Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.
Resolving Pool Ties

Players will be compared with each other on various criteria in this ordered precedence:
Set Wins
Head to Head
Wins
Losses
One Game Rematch

If players are still tied on a step, you move down to the next one. For instance, if Player A and B both go 3-2 in sets in a round of pools, you will then proceed to the Head to Head step (who won the set between those players). Whoever won vs the other will proceed at the top of the tie.

If Head to Head (the result of the set between the players in question) can not decide a tie, then you would move down to the Wins step. This may occur in a three way tie where all three players defeated each other (however note that if one person in a three way tie defeats both other players, then the Head to Head comparison will be used).

If the tie breaker reaches all the way to the One Game Rematch step, this game will play out similar to the first game of any set (though doing best of one), where users will stage strike for the stage, and may double blind characters.

If at any point a tie of three or more players is partially resolved, still leaving two or more players tied, the tie between the remaining players will be decided by starting the tie breaker process over for them. For instance, if in a three way tie in the Wins step, one player has six wins while the others have 5, the player with 6 wins will be the top of the 3. The remaining two players will start back at Sets Wins to determine who is higher between the two instead of proceeding onto the Losses step right away.

•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.

•The Tournament Organizer and his assistants, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will the Tournament Organizer, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Why would you have items on? With items on, there is always that chance that DDD could throw out a smash ball

Doc King

Smash Lord
I think that infinites for D3 should be legal because the slope infinites actually take some skill to do.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Your opinion on the ruleset isn't important enough to make a thread. Feel free to post this in your region subforum.

Cassio

Smash Master
This is the ruleset discussion forum, how is this not the right place rofl. I think its about time we started judging and talking about different well thought out rulesets (which he apparently did according the the top of the post).

Although itd be good if you listed what you changed so it can be discussed easier. I see some stuff highlighted by like, the stagelist isnt im not sure of other stuff isnt either.

Flayl

Smash Hero
K, let's all make a thread on how we think the ruleset should look like.

Oh wait that's a terrible idea.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
Items being on is the only thing I find extremely unreasonable in this ruleset, excluding the whole MK ban issue. I'd put in castle siege and possibly norfair into counterpicks, though.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
Items being on is the only thing that makes this rule set slightly interesting though. Something I've come to believe is that there is a distinct difference between "the competitive smash scene" and "people willing to be competitive at smash" as the latter indicates playing the game somewhat close to how it was designed. This is closer to that, and if that is good or bad is really just opinion. I think more tournaments need to be run with items though simply because they're more entertaining from a spectator standpoint.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Don't see the point in allowing D3 to throw items when it just introduces another luck variable that we can and should remove.

Also it's "Delfino" and why not just have them all starter.

And finally, you should allow D3's infinites on Delfino and Smashville's platform as the stage will interrupt them eventually :cool: (serious about the Smashville bit)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Why would you have items on? With items on, there is always that chance that DDD could throw out a smash ball
Diddy's Peanuts also produce... well peanuts with items on. I'm sure there are other characters that would produce items as well. There is NO GOOD REASON to arbitrarily nerf certain characters, my reasoning is that it is enough to simply have no items spawn, and leaving all items on.

Also, I've made a couple of small changes to it. Particularly moved the CPs to Starter.

Also should I host a tournament, this is the ruleset I'll be using.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
NO GOOD REASON to arbitrarily nerf certain characters
I could argue turning them on would buff them. Why would we arbitrarily buff them especially when it only buffs them inconsistently?
The key to a good competitive game is consistency, your ruleset actively goes against that.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Fair enough. However, there is absolutely no evidence to support that turning them on is a hindrance to competitive play. There has only ever been one major tournament ever with items turned on, and in that tournament the better players did in fact win. This is far less than turning items on, it affects very very few matchups in the game and if you were to view it as a buff buffs a fairly bad character. However, I stand by it not being a buff and being a reversal of an arbitrary nerf.

Let's take the idea of the "base state" of a game. The "base state" would be the game with the rules at default. Every time we change an in-game setting, we take a step away from the base state. Items by default are all on, medium. By switching frequency from Medium to None, we take 1 step away. By turning all items off, we take a number of steps anywhere between 1 and however many items there are (I'd have to check, I've never counted them). As items are on by default, we have to actively turn them off. We are actively changing the game's rules, and thus it is a nerf.

zmx

Smash Lord
I disagree with Ganon/Bowser/Kirby/DDD winning because of a kamikaze.

That's just not fair at all. A ganon at 200% should not beat someone at zero because at the last second they made a mistake and went off stage near him.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
Let's take the idea of the "base state" of a game. The "base state" would be the game with the rules at default. Every time we change an in-game setting, we take a step away from the base state. Items by default are all on, medium. By switching frequency from Medium to None, we take 1 step away. By turning all items off, we take a number of steps anywhere between 1 and however many items there are (I'd have to check, I've never counted them). As items are on by default, we have to actively turn them off. We are actively changing the game's rules, and thus it is a nerf.
I've never brought up this argument, but I've argued a similar one before. "Base state" might not mean much, but the "average game state" should. Most people who own a copy of brawl probably play with items on more often than not, and so if we're going to play a game that appeals to a wider audience odds are we should have items on. Some "pros" may not like it, but the pro players are the vocal minority.

zmx

Smash Lord
So they shouldn't lose for making a mistake...?
They should lose because they made one mistake? As opposed to someone that made several (like whoever wins because of it)? There's a reason this isn't how it works in the current ruleset. A lot more people would be losing to Ganon if this was the case.

ATT: Supreme Dirt

You said to point out flaws in your ruleset which you would then defend or change.
You did neither. Stop getting butthurt because you can't take criticism.

"Odds are there are several oversights in my ruleset. Please point out anything and everything that seems... off and I'll do my best to justify it."

zmx

Smash Lord
You're missing the point. None of those things when done at zero percent are guaranteed to take off stocks or win you the game.

The only exception is walk off infinites which only works on certain stages and icys CG. Icys CG is hard enough to do that it offsets this fact. No player in the world can do it consistently without dropping it.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
zmx, I'll take criticism. I'm well aware the rule is arbitrary, but it is something I will NEVER budge on. Argue anything else in the ruleset. But I won't ever budge on that one rule, it's not a big enough issue that it would hurt tournament attendance, there's no reason not to have it.

zmx

Smash Lord
Well I agree it's a minor issue compared to most of the other things you've changed. I only seeing it become a real issue if we somehow see an influx of Ganon/Bowser/Kirby/DDD players. And none of those characters are very popular (except maybe kirby for newbies).

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with Ganon/Bowser/Kirby/DDD winning because of a kamikaze.

That's just not fair at all. A ganon at 200% should not beat someone at zero because at the last second they made a mistake and went off stage near him.
This is the one of the worst arguments I've ever seen on the boards.

What you're saying is that a player
who makes a TERRIBLE DECISION
and lets themselves get flame choked when they are at 0%
( the player has to make a VERY VERY stupid decision for this to occur as in they have to physically jump off the stage and be directly horizontal and literally wait for the flame choke for this to occur)

should not deserve to lose?
Are you kidding me?

When people rack 100% on ice climbers and then they get grabbed, do you say YO THAT PLAYER SHOULD KEEP THAT STOCK CAUSE HE ONLY MADE 1 MISTAKE!!!!

That is absolutely absurd. One mistake is all it takes.

The only exception is walk off infinites which only works on certain stages and icys CG. Icys CG is hard enough to do that it offsets this fact. No player in the world can do it consistently without dropping it.
Firstly, do you know how difficult it is for a ganon to land a flame choke offstage? Honestly.

Furthermore, many players in the world can do it consistently without dropping it. By consistent I mean >90% success rate. Of course no one can do a technique 100% of the time, but many players have it consistent. I don't know what you're talking about.

Well I agree it's a minor issue compared to most of the other things you've changed. I only seeing it become a real issue if we somehow see an influx of Ganon/Bowser/Kirby/DDD players. And none of those characters are very popular (except maybe kirby for newbies).
You think that changing the rules on Kirby/Ganon/Kirby cides will generate an influx of players? That's a joke. That rule was legal for a long time and practically NOBODY went to those characters.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Well, lots pf people used Dedede at one point, but not because of the suicide rule.

zmx

Smash Lord
"Firstly, do you know how difficult it is for a ganon to land a flame choke offstage? Honestly.

Furthermore, many players in the world can do it consistently without dropping it. By consistent I mean >90% success rate. Of course no one can do a technique 100% of the time, but many players have it consistent. I don't know what you're talking about."

First off read everything before posting. I already explained why losing to a stock to icy isn't the same thing. No one can do it consistently. Also, almost no one can do it even >90% of the time except maybe 9b and I've even seen him drop it, do you even watch top icys players? Vinnie drops grabs several times per match. Kakera drops grabs like once per match. Did I mention if you buffer mashes you'll instantly break out below 30 making it near impossible below low percents? So technically it's not a zero to death. And icys are hard countered by stages in the current rule set anyways.

And the main point of this is that since it's so hard and technical that icys players still deserve to win even if they could do it 100% of the time. Because just about no one can. But anyone can do a ganon side b (no, it's not hard, you must be joking). And it's a gimmick even top players fall for. So I guess you're saying top players are "VERY VERY stupid".

And no I didn't say it would result in an influx of those characters. Again please read very carefully before posting lest you misunderstand.

Edit:

And the fact remains that the URC does not reward the win to the initiator of this tactic but rather a loss.
To any URC members reading this. What is the reasoning behind the decision? I want to see if it's close to mine.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Me no like conservative stagelists

Dirt, can you explain to me how DDD's sideB works with items on? I figured you did it because, well, the game was meant to be played with items on, and it's silly for Peach to be able to draw out items when DDD can't, but does it work the same way as Peach's turnip pull?

AFAIK for Peach's turnip pull, each of the 3 non-turnip items (Mr. Saturn, Bob-omb, Beam Sword) has a 1/200 chance of being drawn. What are the probabilities of the items drawn by DDD's sideB? Can it draw any item?

zmx

Smash Lord

Dirt, can you explain to me how DDD's sideB works with items on? I figured you did it because, well, the game was meant to be played with items on, and it's silly for Peach to be able to draw out items when DDD can't, but does it work the same way as Peach's turnip pull?

AFAIK for Peach's turnip pull, each of the 3 non-turnip items (Mr. Saturn, Bob-omb, Beam Sword) has a 1/200 chance of being drawn. What are the probabilities of the items drawn by DDD's sideB? Can it draw any item?
Inb4 DDD draws smashball.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway

Same chance as a Gordo pull. I can't recall the ratio off the top of my head. He ALWAYS pulls a capsule which will contain one item at random, with a 1/8 chance of exploding. FTR, the explosion actually kills later than a Gordo. I'm pretty sure the capsule follows the exact same ratio as normal item capsules item-wise. Note that due to the trajectory, if Dedede misses with the capsule, odds are it flies offstage.

Also I'm in the process of revamping my stage list after coming across a really interesting CP system.

*EDIT* and it's updated.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Whoops, that's supposed to be in minor CP, thanks for catching that. Had the groups organized differently before, then changed them back to what they originally were. Thanks for catching that.

*moves*

Life

Smash Hero
It's kind of interesting to have a tiny starter list but a huge CP list. Small-list types get their favorite stages for two games but large-list types at least get to show off rarer stages like PTAD.

It's not something I'd personally do (lolbiased, I fall into the latter category, hard) but I can see the appeal.

Tesh

Smash Hero
What exactly do you do in that back room all by yourself?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Actually, the SDBR is a front organization with several members. The real work goes on in the SDBRBR,where I discuss rulesets, stage viability, and how much CGs, grab releases and locks make me want to punch kittens.

Top Bottom