• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

Hong

The Strongest
It is ridiculously well crafted. I will agree with the above responses.

Nice, vibrant colour choice that respect the Custom Robo series.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
To be honest about the GX stuff, I haven't played it (YET). However, I did watch a playthrough of it while reading an in depth FAQ in order to translate the Japanese. It's the most different game in the entire series due to several reasons (2D plane, everything is seen from a 1st person POV for traversing through the real world, action chip instead of charge and legs, gunners added as a type of shot, alpha and beta shots, the possibility of using a forcefield, etc.). Kinda wished it came to the states. Nintendo Power indicated that it would at one point, but then Battle Revolution came. Cool trivia point: if you can next GX to BR via the GBA link cable, you can get extra parts for GX that are very hard to obtain (requires multiplayer matches IIRC) and the ability to fight the superboss Rising Chimera (an improved version of Dark Chimera, the main "evil" robo). I don't believe you get anything in BR for doing this and I think it's just in the Japanese version of BR.

Thanks for being awesome man!

Edit: This is PROBABLY an oversight, but in your Ray Sky section, you mentioned that the recolor are recolor of A.I.R.S. They are actually recolors of Ray Sky. Everything else looks great IMHO. I agree with your idea about doing a timeline for Smash stuff. Thanks for the complement as well! Kept me busy on the train for several days. :)
It's pretty cool that you found all that info on GX. Playing the older Custom Robo games is a dream of mine.

Thanks for pointing out the AIRS mistake, I've fixed it now.
I've also added the Smash Section. I messed around with a few layouts, but the quotes with the logo's seemed like the best option. If I've made any mistakes with the info, or any of you think something needs to be added or changed, once again I'm happy to change it.

Thanks for all the compliments and help. I really enjoy being part of this thread.

MustDash <NeDave>

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeDavid
3DS FC
1289-8218-1036
I was amazed to see Custom Robo representation make it into Brawl (assist trophy).

This is a good thread, very well detailed. Mod community have impressed me with their line of work with Ray!

Love Ray, played the 64 version with an adapter to play Japanese 64 games back in the day. GC was mighty fine as well as the tunes it came with. I would die if a Wii U version is ever announced.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I was amazed to see Custom Robo representation make it into Brawl (assist trophy).

This is a good thread, very well detailed. Mod community have impressed me with their line of work with Ray!

Love Ray, played the 64 version with an adapter to play Japanese 64 games back in the day. GC was mighty fine as well as the tunes it came with. I would die if a Wii U version is ever announced.
Even now, I'm AMAZED that Custom Robo has literally NO mention in Smash 4! It's UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Holy smokes guys! I know this is on April 1st and all, but Nintendo just announced on their direct that they are taking DLC character requests! Yes, you heard me right. DLC CHARACTER REQUESTS. The website still needs to go up, but it will last until October 3rd.

Thing is, you only get 1 vote. I'm voting for Ray personally. I'm hyped as heck BTW!! Should we specify a specific Ray model or should we just say Ray?

Oh, and unrelated, but Mewtwo comes out on the 28th of April for non-CN members for $3.99 each system (or $4.99 for both combined [yes, a $3 discount). CN members get him on the 15th of April for free. Also, Lucas was announced as DLC and will appear during the summer (June I believe). Mii Costumes and masks based on Protoman, X, Link, Dunban, Majora's mask, and the like are purchasable for $0.75 each system ($1.25 for both I believe, but I need to verify). Lastly, the update contains the new features like photo sharing and the like as well as the ability to get DLC as well as CONTINUOUS balance tweaks.

Once again, this is NOT an April Fools prank. This is legit info from the direct.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Holy smokes guys! I know this is on April 1st and all, but Nintendo just announced on their direct that they are taking DLC character requests! Yes, you heard me right. DLC CHARACTER REQUESTS. The website still needs to go up, but it will last until October 3rd.

Thing is, you only get 1 vote. I'm voting for Ray personally. I'm hyped as heck BTW!! Should we specify a specific Ray model or should we just say Ray?

Oh, and unrelated, but Mewtwo comes out on the 28th of April for non-CN members for $3.99 each system (or $4.99 for both combined [yes, a $3 discount). CN members get him on the 15th of April for free. Also, Lucas was announced as DLC and will appear during the summer (June I believe). Mii Costumes and masks based on Protoman, X, Link, Dunban, Majora's mask, and the like are purchasable for $0.75 each system ($1.25 for both I believe, but I need to verify). Lastly, the update contains the new features like photo sharing and the like as well as the ability to get DLC as well as CONTINUOUS balance tweaks.

Once again, this is NOT an April Fools prank. This is legit info from the direct.
I'm so excited about this. We can finally be heard out and it confirms some kind of future DLC.
Also, though the website says "please limit to one vote per person" there is nothing stopping you voting multiple times.

Here's the website: https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/en-au/

Hong

The Strongest
My, my. You all have such handsome avatars today. :yeahboi:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
You know how we had a discussion on this page regarding when we should re-activate this page for DLC campaign purposes?

I think the time is now. You think we should restart the campaign?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Is there a Ray Mk III / Custom Robo support thread in the SSB4 Character Discussion section? We need to put one there if there isn't. Raise awareness of Custom Robos. With custom movesets and all that jazz, they were basically made for Smash 4.

I'm so excited about this. We can finally be heard out and it confirms some kind of future DLC.
Also, though the website says "please limit to one vote per person" there is nothing stopping you voting multiple times.
Seeing as it may record the IP that the request is sent from, voting multiple times from different computers is a great idea if you have access to them. I've put in like 7 votes for Ray Mk III since I live on a college campus.

Last edited:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
If a lot of you feel we should, I'll happily ask Forum support to move us back to Character Discussion.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Ah, glad to see this thread was moved to Character Discussion. Hopefully we can draw in more supporters.

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Good to be back!

Hello all who may be visiting for the first time! Look at our front page! Its pretty! We promise!

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
We're back baby. The campaign begins (more images coming soon).

Anyone got any ideas for what the title of this thread should be now? I feel like it needs to be something to do with smash. I've put something temporary there, but I don't think it's very good.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
We're back baby. The campaign begins (more images coming soon).

Anyone got any ideas for what the title of this thread should be now? I feel like it needs to be something to do with smash. I've put something temporary there, but I don't think it's very good.
"The Truly Custom Character-- Vote Ray for Smash!"

Or at least something of the "Custom" sort. I feel that should be a large part of the allure to Ray, especially with custom moves finding their way into the competitive scene.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
I think just switch the title phrases around.
Like so:
Vote Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion

That way, it puts more of the focus on the campaign-y part.

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
I'd love to see Ray for Smash, I remember getting GC 11 years ago and Game Informer said it was crap, but I thought the idea of fighting mini robots was rad so I got it anyway. It gave me some fond memories in my early teens, the action was fun and fast paced, easy to pick up and hard to master. Sure it could have been deeper and better balanced, but for a pick up and play game with friends I think it was second only to Smash Bros on the Gamecube.

The story was great too, it was the first actually mature one I had encountered in a video game and was surprisingly deep for a kids game. I think it did the coming of age trope very well and made you think of important life and societal issues such as dealing with the legacy of a deceased loved one, the possibility of becoming estranged from others, creating a purpose in life besides just showing up for work every day, the ability or inability of people to learn from history, and the choice of Oedipus between knowing a painful truth or staying happy in ignorance. Sure lots of movies (and games) might handle some of these concepts better, but to a thirteen year old with no real literary experience outside Harry Potter it was a pretty big deal, at least for me but I'm willing to bet there were some other kids out there who felt the same way when they played it for the first time. The game frankly dropped from my awareness over the years but the poll reminded me of the notable impact Battle Revolution had on my gaming memory. So, I have decided to bring that back for a while through my sig, paying tribute to the heroes of the game.

Besides that, though, there's a solid basis for including Ray in Smash from a moveset and representation stand point which is also why I'm solidly behind the idea. The truth is Nintendo is running out of characters who are big in their series, and Ray is one of them who remains. Sakurai obviously has awareness of the series due to his use of assist trophies and stickers from Brawl. Do I think Ray will get in as DLC? Frankly, no. I think he has a very solid chance for next game though, and if the votes can garner support for that or another Custom Robo game or a BR remake then it's all worth it. Looking at the early polls shows that in Japan Custom Robo has a not insignificant portion of the vote. All it takes is that fan input reaching Nintendo and reminding somebody that there still is a market for the Custom Robo universe.

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
Ray MK III was the first character i voted for on the Ballot, Custom Robo: Battle Revolution is on my list of favorite games of all time, and the lack of representation in Smash 4 upsets me (seriously? not even a trophy?), i want him playable if not just for the sake of having the series be represented.

EDIT: just voted for him again, and just wanted to specify that yes, i know Ray 01 is the model in the game i love so much and not MK III. i'm only choosing MK III as the one i'm voting for due to him being the most recent incarnation of the Ray Model.

Last edited:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Can someone leave the link to the dlc vote site? I did not see it in the OP.
I've added it to the OP, but here it is anyway: https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/
If anyone has any other suggestions for the thread name or things to add to the OP now that we're back here, just ask and I'll be happy to edit. Once there are a few suggestions for thread name, we'll decide together.

I'd love to see Ray for Smash, I remember getting GC 11 years ago and Game Informer said it was crap, but I thought the idea of fighting mini robots was rad so I got it anyway. It gave me some fond memories in my early teens, the action was fun and fast paced, easy to pick up and hard to master. Sure it could have been deeper and better balanced, but for a pick up and play game with friends I think it was second only to Smash Bros on the Gamecube.
Ray MK III was the first character i voted for on the Ballot, Custom Robo: Battle Revolution is on my list of favorite games of all time, and the lack of representation in Smash 4 upsets me (seriously? not even a trophy?), i want him playable if not just for the sake of having the series be represented.
Welcome to the thread.

The Gamecube game seems to be the main source of Custom Robo fame on the internet. Its left strong memories with a lot of people.The discussion over which Ray to put in Smash however, is on-going. Though all Custom Robo fans agree any representation would be good.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Thanks for the support everyone! We truly appreciate it! :)

The story was great too, it was the first actually mature one I had encountered in a video game and was surprisingly deep for a kids game. I think it did the coming of age trope very well and made you think of important life and societal issues such as dealing with the legacy of a deceased loved one, the possibility of becoming estranged from others, creating a purpose in life besides just showing up for work every day, the ability or inability of people to learn from history, and the choice of Oedipus between knowing a painful truth or staying happy in ignorance. Sure lots of movies (and games) might handle some of these concepts better, but to a thirteen year old with no real literary experience outside Harry Potter it was a pretty big deal, at least for me but I'm willing to bet there were some other kids out there who felt the same way when they played it for the first time. The game frankly dropped from my awareness over the years but the poll reminded me of the notable impact Battle Revolution had on my gaming memory. So, I have decided to bring that back for a while through my sig, paying tribute to the heroes of the game.

Besides that, though, there's a solid basis for including Ray in Smash from a moveset and representation stand point which is also why I'm solidly behind the idea. The truth is Nintendo is running out of characters who are big in their series, and Ray is one of them who remains. Sakurai obviously has awareness of the series due to his use of assist trophies and stickers from Brawl. Do I think Ray will get in as DLC? Frankly, no. I think he has a very solid chance for next game though, and if the votes can garner support for that or another Custom Robo game or a BR remake then it's all worth it. Looking at the early polls shows that in Japan Custom Robo has a not insignificant portion of the vote. All it takes is that fan input reaching Nintendo and reminding somebody that there still is a market for the Custom Robo universe.
Dang, that was very deep man! :) The story of Battle Revolution was very engaging and exposed us young ones to the tough reality of life (thematically, at least). That's why Battle Revolution is my favorite game in the series (though I liked Arena's post game a bit more than Battle Revolution's).

Plus, like you said, even if Ray doesn't get in as DLC, he will gain awareness as a newcomer for Smash 5 (whenever that comes out). They might even make a new Custom Robo game (if Noise is willing, that is). Still, let's hope for Ray in Smash 4! :)

EDIT: just voted for him again, and just wanted to specify that yes, i know Ray 01 is the model in the game i love so much and not MK III. i'm only choosing MK III as the one i'm voting for due to him being the most recent incarnation of the Ray Model.
Ray was the 1st that I voted for as well (well, I said "Ray" and "Custom Robo (1999)" as my options, but any Ray'll do). It really bothered me that there wasn't a single mention of the Custom Robo series in the entire game (and that Reginliev got more representation than it [no hate for that game, BTW]). The least they could do is have 3 trophies like they had in Melee AND Brawl. The DLC Ballot does give us the chance to put him in as a fighter.

Can someone leave the link to the dlc vote site? I did not see it in the OP.
ToastyPyre got ya covered, but here is the link: https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

I've added it to the OP, but here it is anyway: https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/
If anyone has any other suggestions for the thread name or things to add to the OP now that we're back here, just ask and I'll be happy to edit. Once there are a few suggestions for thread name, we'll decide together.

Welcome to the thread.

The Gamecube game seems to be the main source of Custom Robo fame on the internet. Its left strong memories with a lot of people.The discussion over which Ray to put in Smash however, is on-going. Though all Custom Robo fans agree any representation would be good.
While my favorite game is Battle Revolution, I totally agree with you mate (plus Arena and the others are amazing as well). All forms of Custom Robo discussion and support (yes, even for the Chick Robo) are welcome here. For me, as long as ANY Ray makes it in, I'll be happy. :)

I personally voted for the original Ray and suggested that the other Ray models should be the other costumes ALA Pikachu (hats)/Robin (technically with the gender swap)/Little Mac (wireframe). That way, the original game is represented as well as the other titles.

Edit: On a side note, I've found a Custom Robo page that existed during the Brawl speculation days (2007 and before). Just for history sake, here's the page (it's closed now): http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-series-support-thread-not-just-ray-01.75594/

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Well, well...

Keep in mind, this is data from February.
Oh, baby. That's the best thing I've seen all day

EDIT: That's a shocking list. No Wolf and Ray is way up there.

EDIT EDIT: It says newcomer breakdown. Silly me. Regardless, you go, Ray! And also you JP people! You can make the dream reality!

Last edited:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
From what I gather, Custom Robo is a popular choice in Japan but they're unsure whether Ray has overseas popularity. I have no idea how the internet combines Japanese and English web pages, but hopefully they can see there is support for Ray around the world.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
From what I gather, Custom Robo is a popular choice in Japan but they're unsure whether Ray has overseas popularity. I have no idea how the internet combines Japanese and English web pages, but hopefully they can see there is support for Ray around the world.
While the support in the states is pretty scarce, every time I bring him up somewhere (stream chat for example) a lot of people say things like "Custom Robo is awesome", or "I never thought about that."

If the franchise was just a little less dead, I feel that Ray would be way higher.

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
"While the support in the states is pretty scarce, every time I bring him up somewhere (stream chat for example) a lot of people say things like "Custom Robo is awesome", or "I never thought about that."

"If the franchise was just a little less dead, I feel that Ray would be way higher."

Yeah, I was just on Reddit and it seemed from reading the discussions that a lot of posters didn't really remember Custom Robo, but those who did all seemed to like the idea. I think that's the main thing Ray has going for him which is that he's generally well liked by everybody. He doesn't have a glaring flaw unlike a lot of other candidates (eg. Krystal's divisiveness in the Star Fox fanbase and fetishists, Paper Mario's redundancy, Geno's licensing and lack of a title not old enough to vote, Banjo's licensing issues, Snake's licensing plus theme, Shantae's popularity, K. Rool's sort of divisiveness, Bayonetta's maturity, etc. etc.)

(For the record I do support K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie, Wolf, and Geno for Smash also)

If you look at it more, Ray doesn't have any real flaws other than maybe a lack of popularity and recent titles (plus a misconception that he may be too similar to Samus or Megaman) which is less of a drawback than can be said for anyone except K. Rool. Probably Brawl's trophies helped to bring the series back to the attention of some fans (Melee is how I first heard of the series) and it's quite puzzling why no content at all was included for Smash 4. I mean Custom Robo is small, but a lot of other universes and even Rayman got trophies. My guess is either that Sakurai either just forgot about the series altogether (bad scenario) or had considered Ray as a character at some point (good scenario).

So that brings us to the question if DLC is a possibility for this game. Surely the votes Ray does get will be enough to get him considered compared to his competition who have more issues, at which point we should know if Sakurai would be open to the idea. I'm not leaning towards the possibility since it will have to be marketed as DLC and whatever character chosen will have to possess real mass marketability like a Snake or K. Rool, but I'd love to be proven wrong. That's why I'm thinking another game and then Smash 5 is a more likely possibility (I could see Nintendo calling up Noise and requesting a new game after the fan response). Then again, we really don't know how much the demand in Japan really is- with the issues other character have, fifth place or so could realistically be enough for a spot after all.

About the CR games, I only played Battle Revolution because I did not have a DS, so I'm not qualified to speak on it. It did come out in Europe also so I'm curious to see how much it sold compared to Battle Revolution. There is definitely more fan artwork and such for Arena on DeviantArt, but also on Reddit most people seem to be mentioning BR so I don't know which one would get the nod for a rep. What I can guess from reading the wikis on it and watching some youtube footage was that it played much the same way but went back to the Digimon like kids game vibe of the previous installments. That's not a bad thing at all, but it seems to me that Battle Revolution had higher production values (the cutscene, graphics, etc. versus sprites when Pokemon Diamond had 3D overworlds) and more investment put into the game. I just think Battle Revolution had something really memorable going for it with its Final Fantasy-style, dark themed (yes hokey at times) and complex story that was leagues ahead of Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon in terms of resembling real young adult literature (remember, this was in the waning days of Harry Potter (arguably less dark in itself) and series like Twilight and The Hunger Games had not been released; there was His Dark Materials but nothing else really). Arena looks like it backtracked from this to an extent, going back to the younger style of the earlier games which again was not necessarily bad- just that the game lost a part of its character that was unique from universes popular at the time like Beyblade, Digimon, and Pokemon. So there's a case to be put for either game I guess, neither must have sold well enough or we would have had a sequel by now, right?

Which brings me to the video project which I guess is on hold, I'm assuming the person who made the video backed out but I was thinking maybe one of you could do the voiceover yourselves. All that's needed is a mic and a script really and it's good to go. Might not accomplish much, but it would be nice to put in the OP and people could link to it on places like Twitter to get the word out.

Also, here's a Ray signature banner that I made quickly for supporters to use in their sigs. I know it's biased towards the Battle Revolution game but that's the one I'm familiar with and this picture went well for a signature pic and I thought the subtitle was catchy also. We can use it until somebody else comes out with something else I suppose.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Ray was the first one I voted for. I was thinking of him as a light long range fighter with a lot of aerial ability but slow on the ground. Like the opposite of Little Mac.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Well, well...

Keep in mind, this is data from February.
Oh, baby. That's the best thing I've seen all day

EDIT: That's a shocking list. No Wolf and Ray is way up there.

EDIT EDIT: It says newcomer breakdown. Silly me. Regardless, you go, Ray! And also you JP people! You can make the dream reality!
Yeah, Custom Robo seems to be a ton more popular over in Japan. It's probably because there were 5 games released over there while the states only got 2 (and Europe and Australia only got Arena IIRC) among other reasons. Probably that and robot related stuff is GENERALLY (and I mean that in a non-diminutive way) more popular in Japan than at USA and Europe (a demographic thing I guess). I mean, there's the Gundam games, the Custom Robo games, Gotcha Force (technically), Evangelion, Japan's equivalent of Power Rangers (even though they had them 1st), Kamen Rider, Ultraman, Mecha Godzilla, and so on. Granted, most of the stuff I listed came overseas. However, it took a while for me to find a copy of Chosoju Mecha MG (the Marionation Gear game for the DS), another Japan exclusive robot game.

I do think that if Custom Robo for the N64 wasn't a Japan/China exclusive game back in the day, we would've had a LOT more popularity in the series overall, however. At least we got 2 (or 1 in some cases) out of the 5 titles.
While the support in the states is pretty scarce, every time I bring him up somewhere (stream chat for example) a lot of people say things like "Custom Robo is awesome", or "I never thought about that."

If the franchise was just a little less dead, I feel that Ray would be way higher.
I really haven't seen much negativity towards anything Custom Robo related to be honest. It would help if the series had new entries however. Arena was the last title made and that was in the DS era.

"While the support in the states is pretty scarce, every time I bring him up somewhere (stream chat for example) a lot of people say things like "Custom Robo is awesome", or "I never thought about that."

"If the franchise was just a little less dead, I feel that Ray would be way higher."

Yeah, I was just on Reddit and it seemed from reading the discussions that a lot of posters didn't really remember Custom Robo, but those who did all seemed to like the idea. I think that's the main thing Ray has going for him which is that he's generally well liked by everybody. He doesn't have a glaring flaw unlike a lot of other candidates (eg. Krystal's divisiveness in the Star Fox fanbase and fetishists, Paper Mario's redundancy, Geno's licensing and lack of a title not old enough to vote, Banjo's licensing issues, Snake's licensing plus theme, Shantae's popularity, K. Rool's sort of divisiveness, Bayonetta's maturity, etc. etc.)

(For the record I do support K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie, Wolf, and Geno for Smash also)

If you look at it more, Ray doesn't have any real flaws other than maybe a lack of popularity and recent titles (plus a misconception that he may be too similar to Samus or Megaman) which is less of a drawback than can be said for anyone except K. Rool. Probably Brawl's trophies helped to bring the series back to the attention of some fans (Melee is how I first heard of the series) and it's quite puzzling why no content at all was included for Smash 4. I mean Custom Robo is small, but a lot of other universes and even Rayman got trophies. My guess is either that Sakurai either just forgot about the series altogether (bad scenario) or had considered Ray as a character at some point (good scenario).

So that brings us to the question if DLC is a possibility for this game. Surely the votes Ray does get will be enough to get him considered compared to his competition who have more issues, at which point we should know if Sakurai would be open to the idea. I'm not leaning towards the possibility since it will have to be marketed as DLC and whatever character chosen will have to possess real mass marketability like a Snake or K. Rool, but I'd love to be proven wrong. That's why I'm thinking another game and then Smash 5 is a more likely possibility (I could see Nintendo calling up Noise and requesting a new game after the fan response). Then again, we really don't know how much the demand in Japan really is- with the issues other character have, fifth place or so could realistically be enough for a spot after all.

About the CR games, I only played Battle Revolution because I did not have a DS, so I'm not qualified to speak on it. It did come out in Europe also so I'm curious to see how much it sold compared to Battle Revolution. There is definitely more fan artwork and such for Arena on DeviantArt, but also on Reddit most people seem to be mentioning BR so I don't know which one would get the nod for a rep. What I can guess from reading the wikis on it and watching some youtube footage was that it played much the same way but went back to the Digimon like kids game vibe of the previous installments. That's not a bad thing at all, but it seems to me that Battle Revolution had higher production values (the cutscene, graphics, etc. versus sprites when Pokemon Diamond had 3D overworlds) and more investment put into the game. I just think Battle Revolution had something really memorable going for it with its Final Fantasy-style, dark themed (yes hokey at times) and complex story that was leagues ahead of Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon in terms of resembling real young adult literature (remember, this was in the waning days of Harry Potter (arguably less dark in itself) and series like Twilight and The Hunger Games had not been released; there was His Dark Materials but nothing else really). Arena looks like it backtracked from this to an extent, going back to the younger style of the earlier games which again was not necessarily bad- just that the game lost a part of its character that was unique from universes popular at the time like Beyblade, Digimon, and Pokemon. So there's a case to be put for either game I guess, neither must have sold well enough or we would have had a sequel by now, right?

Which brings me to the video project which I guess is on hold, I'm assuming the person who made the video backed out but I was thinking maybe one of you could do the voiceover yourselves. All that's needed is a mic and a script really and it's good to go. Might not accomplish much, but it would be nice to put in the OP and people could link to it on places like Twitter to get the word out.

Also, here's a Ray signature banner that I made quickly for supporters to use in their sigs. I know it's biased towards the Battle Revolution game but that's the one I'm familiar with and this picture went well for a signature pic and I thought the subtitle was catchy also. We can use it until somebody else comes out with something else I suppose.

I agree with you regarding the whole not being able to find a glaring flaw for the most part. The only real "flaw" that I can see regarding Ray (and Custom Robo in general) is the recent lack of exposure. There hasn't been a new game for at least 8 years. I think that campaigning for Ray and Custom Robo should help remedy this lack of exposure a bit. I've started posting on the Smash Reddit page for Custom Robo support a bit (mostly just replies as apparently creating posts strictly for campaigning for characters is not permitted). I'm also campaigning for support in the Facebook groups I'm a part of.

To be honest, I'm hoping Ray is Smash 4 DLC, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't appear until Smash 5. That being said, I'm keeping my hopes up and my fingers crossed.

Regarding the games, Battle Revolution is my favorite game in the series (with Arena as a very close second). The story mode was AMAZING because of the great story and characterization it had (though Arena's post game is much better). I was entranced by the story as a kid, and I wasn't one who read many novels back in the day. That and I loved robots back in the day (still do). I think Battle Revolution had the best balance of parts in the series from what I've played, but Arena had the better selection of parts (ALL of the main Ray models, some of the legacy robos like Jameson, Zola, A.I.R.S., Gigantron, Robin, Javelin, etc.). Overall, both games are great for their own reasons. In fact, all of the games in the series are great in their own right. But BR will always have a place in my heart for several reasons (including the fact that I beat it at least 3 times because the Wii Connect 24 feature kept corrupting my GameCube memory cards).

Regarding the video project, I lack a decent microphone. If I had a good microphone (and some time and a script), I would be able to record some lines. Maybe if I find a mic, I could record some lines.

And I'm DEFINITELY using that signature right there. I think sig pics will help us a bit as well.

Ray was the first one I voted for. I was thinking of him as a light long range fighter with a lot of aerial ability but slow on the ground. Like the opposite of Little Mac.
Ditto mate! I kinda did picture him as being decently quick on the ground as well, but your description works quite well as well.

Last edited:

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
Thanks for your approval of the sig, it actually took me several hours and I was up late just to get it to fit on the screen!

If I may ask, what is the postgame for Arena like? I know that Battle Revolution pretty much switches entirely to a tournament format and while a few pieces of the story are filled in the postgame is mainly there for the gameplay. Is there something more in Arena's postgame that expands on Battle Revolution's version?

Also, I'm wondering if the gameplay itself is much different. The main thing I would have changed about Battle Revolution would have been to reduce the effectiveness of the main guns in damage and reload time, giving you more incentive to explore the creative missile and pod weapons. Going forward with the series, I'd love to see some third person shooter influence in future titles such as being able to aim the gun with the c-stick in order to lead shots and thus inserting another skill element (with the lock on tracking not being as prominent). Shield parts would also increase customizability (going with a stronger one that's shorter in duration versus the opposite). Having to reload your main gun would also reduce dependence on it and create openings for opponents to exploit.

As for Ray in Smash, I see him as a primarily projectile based character (with the exception of side special being melee dash) with the gun, missiles and pods being mapped to the B-moves. The uniqueness would also become apparent by giving Ray two airdashes he could use and have some control over rather than a recovery move. He'd be like a combination of Samus and Snake, having some of the projectiles and floatiness of the former (despite moving differently) and the trap and mindgame style of the latter. This could be especially useful if Snake by some misfortune is unable to return.

Edit: Does anyone know why the signature picture appears sometimes but not always? I'm finding myself to have to insert it manually at times.

Last edited:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for your approval of the sig, it actually took me several hours and I was up late just to get it to fit on the screen!

If I may ask, what is the postgame for Arena like? I know that Battle Revolution pretty much switches entirely to a tournament format and while a few pieces of the story are filled in the postgame is mainly there for the gameplay. Is there something more in Arena's postgame that expands on Battle Revolution's version?

Also, I'm wondering if the gameplay itself is much different. The main thing I would have changed about Battle Revolution would have been to reduce the effectiveness of the main guns in damage and reload time, giving you more incentive to explore the creative missile and pod weapons. Going forward with the series, I'd love to see some third person shooter influence in future titles such as being able to aim the gun with the c-stick in order to lead shots and thus inserting another skill element (with the lock on tracking not being as prominent). Shield parts would also increase customizability (going with a stronger one that's shorter in duration versus the opposite). Having to reload your main gun would also reduce dependence on it and create openings for opponents to exploit.

As for Ray in Smash, I see him as a primarily projectile based character (with the exception of side special being melee dash) with the gun, missiles and pods being mapped to the B-moves. The uniqueness would also become apparent by giving Ray two airdashes he could use and have some control over rather than a recovery move. He'd be like a combination of Samus and Snake, having some of the projectiles and floatiness of the former (despite moving differently) and the trap and mindgame style of the latter. This could be especially useful if Snake by some misfortune is unable to return.

Edit: Does anyone know why the signature picture appears sometimes but not always? I'm finding myself to have to insert it manually at times.

Sigs appear in the first post you make on a page, but not any of the other posts you make on that page (I think that's how it works).

As for Arena post-game, and this is obviously spoilers ahead, but you basically are tasked by the Police force as a sort of entrance exam to fight all the major characters you've met throughout the story because they've all asked for a rematch. It's called the Grudge matches. However, each character has a requirement before you can battle them. The requirements, all together basically require you to hundred percent the game (collect all parts, beat all challenge matches with gold ranking, play hide a seek, do a fetch quest for the perfect coffee (it gets weird)).

I only recently played Battle Revolution (had to emulate because I live in Aus) and I don't think I can form a proper opinion because the emulator was a bit slow. Overall I thought it was pretty good, but going back from Arena I missed the Parts shop and Diorama shop features. Getting parts by getting money from battles and then choosing the parts you wanted was really fun in Arena, because you would see a part in the store that you really wanted, so you would battle people around the town until you had enough to buy it. It was fun to set yourself that goal and then achieve it.

p.s. gameb0ybryan is working on the video, and doing a proper recording is more difficult than it seems.
I do agree that more shareable content would be good. If anyone has ideas, share them so we can work together on it.

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276

Sure! I can explain the differences between the Grand Battles and the Grudge Matches.

As you might know, the Grand Battles are tournaments that give you parts based on how well you do in them (getting Bronze, Silver, and Gold trophies). In order to get to the final tournaments, you need to get the B, A, and S licenses by getting all Bronze, Silver, and Gold. This tradition started in V2 BTW.

The Grudge Matches in Arena are slightly different. ToastyPyre basically nailed it, but I'll give my 2 cents anyways. Instead of tournaments based on skill, you go around and rematch people that you have met throughout the story mode. However, the catch is that you need to complete a certain objective. For example, in order to fight Dennis, you need to collect a certain amount of gun parts. In order to fight Marv, you need to beat the hardest tournament (they're still in the game) with the Chick Robo. And so on. In addition to that, there's an underground area where you fight against Illegal Robo operators. Rare parts like the Jameson series and Ray 01 are sold there. In addition, you can fight against your doppelganger (who also appeared in V2 [there are a TON of references to V2 in Arena]) to get rare parts from V2 like the Ray II Dark set and the Majel/Indigo set.

I personally liked Arena's postgame more because of the complete free-roam it gives and the fact that trophies don't hold you back from progressing (barring Marv and Cheepers). But BR had a pretty good post game as well.

Arena is kinda similar to BR, but it's MUCH more similar to the N64 titles (specifically V2). The Robo Cannon launches you in Cube form like normal. However, instead of a counter, the cube has sides. There is the head (1 side), the arms (2 sides), the feet (1 side), and the torso (2 sides). It is optimal to land with the head up and the feet on the ground, but it's not terrible to land on the torso squares. However, landing on the arms causes you to be unable to move due to one of the arms being stuck in the ground. The worst case scenario is to have your head in the ground. It takes forever to get it out. Getting hit by an attack also frees you from being stuck BTW (similar to how getting hit while still being in the cube frees you in BR). During outside battles, no Robo Cannon exists. You just start fighting.

Arena also shows off the ammo for the gun, bombs, and pods on the bottom screen. Very nifty.

Arena also introduces the idea of the Soul Boost (I love this mechanic). Basically after each battle, you gain a bit of Soul Meter. Once it is full, you can use the Soul Boost in the next battle. Using it (by tapping the bottom screen) boosts your stats by a lot. However, once your meter empties, you lose the boost and get temporarily dirty.

Speaking about dirtiness, that's another great mechanic that Arena had (it really gets you immersed into the game). Dirty robos take more damage and deal less dage. I believe that their mobility is weakened as well, but I don't remember correctly. Getting hit a ton as well as jumping into lava dirtiest your robo. You can clean them with cloths.

Other than that, the mechanics are basically the same. The parts shop from GX makes a return and you have a ranking system (you earn $$ and Star Points after each match). You can also pose Robos in diaramas you purchase as well (a fun feature). I do like the shop more than the parts generator to be honest. Arena has a great multiplayer aspect to it to be honest. Plus the parts shop would guarantee that you would only get the parts you wanted as opposed to having a fixed order of parts like in 1, V2, and BR.

So, to be honest with you, I liked Arena's gameplay, shops, historical tributes to the prior games, postgame, multiplayer modes, and parts selection the most, but Battle Revolution's art style, story, world, story mode, protagonist, Ray model (01 and Warrior, but 01 appeared in Arena as well), and characters were more appealing to me. Both are great games in their own right.

GX had some interesting parts that differed from the rest of the series. They had action chips instead of leg parts. You could equip an attack or use a force field. Also, guns had an alpha shot and a beta shot.

It would be interesting if they added armor and aiming in future installments. BR had that 1st person perspective with the C-Stick after beating the game once. Maybe have an auto aim in 3rd person view and a manual aim in 1st person view. Also, seeing more use of bombs and pods would be nice. I think the auto reload is fine though.

I agree with you that Ray would be a very projectile heavy character in Smash if he is chosen for DLC.

I think ToastyPyre covered the whole sig thing already, but yeah, it only appears on the 1st post per page that you make.

Sigs appear in the first post you make on a page, but not any of the other posts you make on that page (I think that's how it works).

As for Arena post-game, and this is obviously spoilers ahead, but you basically are tasked by the Police force as a sort of entrance exam to fight all the major characters you've met throughout the story because they've all asked for a rematch. It's called the Grudge matches. However, each character has a requirement before you can battle them. The requirements, all together basically require you to hundred percent the game (collect all parts, beat all challenge matches with gold ranking, play hide a seek, do a fetch quest for the perfect coffee (it gets weird)).

I only recently played Battle Revolution (had to emulate because I live in Aus) and I don't think I can form a proper opinion because the emulator was a bit slow. Overall I thought it was pretty good, but going back from Arena I missed the Parts shop and Diorama shop features. Getting parts by getting money from battles and then choosing the parts you wanted was really fun in Arena, because you would see a part in the store that you really wanted, so you would battle people around the town until you had enough to buy it. It was fun to set yourself that goal and then achieve it.

p.s. gameb0ybryan is working on the video, and doing a proper recording is more difficult than it seems.
I do agree that more shareable content would be good. If anyone has ideas, share them so we can work together on it.
I think you're right about the sig. I've noticed that on several threads.

The whole parts generator thing in 1, V2, and BR is probably another reason why I dislike the Grand Battles in comparison to the Grudge Matches. It makes a TON more sense to purchase the parts than to have parts that are unrelated to your last match get generated (that and because parts are physical attachments to the Robo and are not program data like in Mega Man Battle Network). I did prefer the setting and writing in BR though. If only it had Arena's amazing parts mechanics (like, have $$ from completing Bounty Hunter jobs [though the whole "the pay stinks" joke was pretty funny though] and have a catalog system that opens up the better rank you have).

Sucks Australia (or anyone besides the USA and Japan) didn't get Battle Revolution though.

I remember that he has been working on the video. Video editing is VERY tough work. I tried doing videogame capturing and editing one time back in the day. It didn't go so well for me in the end. :)

I have full faith and confidence in gameb0ybryan. He made a great video so far and has shown great leadership so far (you have too ToastyPyre).

More shareable content is good. Could playthroughs of the 5 games and video guides to the parts for the Robo Pedia be good content as well?

Last edited:

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
So initially I didn't really care who we'd get from the smash ballot, but thinking on it now I'd actually really like to see Ray make it in, so I'll be voting for him. Should I vote for Ray 01 or Ray MK III?

I always had fun playing whenever my cousin came over and brought Custom Robo for Game Cube, the intro for that game is amazing. My brother owns Custom Robo Arena as well, I'm thinking of picking that game up again. Wyrm Gun was always my favourite weapon, love the sound effect for it too.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Can't believe I didn't see this thread before. I was playing Custom Robo recently, (I'd rented it back when it was new, and I found a copy for sale a few months back for $15) and I thought it was weird that all Custom Robo content was removed from this Smash Bros. I'd definitely like to see Ray added as a playable character, so I'd like to be added as a supporter.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I just bought the 3 Japanese Custom Robo games last night (assuming none were illegitimate copies of the real product)! They should be coming in EVENTUALLY (imports take a while I guess). If I see anything juicy that should be mentioned from these games, I'll mention it at a later post. Of course, as I have no understanding of Japanese, I will be using an FAQ with my playthrough. Maybe I might be able to capture some footage for the Robo Pedia.

So initially I didn't really care who we'd get from the smash ballot, but thinking on it now I'd actually really like to see Ray make it in, so I'll be voting for him. Should I vote for Ray 01 or Ray MK III?

I always had fun playing whenever my cousin came over and brought Custom Robo for Game Cube, the intro for that game is amazing. My brother owns Custom Robo Arena as well, I'm thinking of picking that game up again. Wyrm Gun was always my favourite weapon, love the sound effect for it too.
To be honest with you, I voted "Ray" and "Custom Robo (1999)" as my choice (basically the 1st Ray) and elaborated in the reason section that the other Ray models could be alternate costumes ALA Robin and Pikachu due to similar body frames. However, I don't think it really hurts his chances if you vote for one of the other models of Ray. It's the support for the franchise that counts! :)

Funny thing is, I had a cousin that had Arena. I used to play several matches with him. Wished he didn't sell it.

The intro to Battle Revolution (the GCN game) is one of the best intros I have ever seen to be honest with you. I recommend playing as many games in the series as you can.

Wyrm and Dragon are two of my favorite guns as well.

Can't believe I didn't see this thread before. I was playing Custom Robo recently, (I'd rented it back when it was new, and I found a copy for sale a few months back for $15) and I thought it was weird that all Custom Robo content was removed from this Smash Bros. I'd definitely like to see Ray added as a playable character, so I'd like to be added as a supporter.
$15 is a steal! Where'd you find it at that price?

All support is welcome here! :) Welcome to the Guild! :)

DriveSober

Smash Rookie
Just dropping in to say that I'm throwing my entire voting support behind Ray. Too often he gets left out of predictions and I want to stand up and be counted so that people know how popular he is. Ray MK III is, I believe, just as likely, and just as justifiable as Isaac for DLC candidacy.

I'm also 100% convinced that the only reason Ray and Isaac were removed from the AT roster was to free them up for possible DLC inclusion in the future.

Top Bottom