• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I first heard of custom robot from playing melee, the reminded me of transformers. I went out and bought custom robo for the GameCube when it first came out and I thought the game was great fun. I was surprised to find out the premise of the game was similar to pokemom in the aspect that you were running about collecting robot parts to upgrade your robot to battle other "trainers" (I forget the proper term). Any way, it was a great game and Ray definitely deserves a playable character slot. Sure it would be weird considering Ray and other custom robos are very small in the real world but this is the world of smash, it could work. look at the arguments made for Ridley, whom of which I also support to join the roster.

So yeah that's my rant lol
I actually forgot the reason why I purchased Custom Robo for the GameCube. It could have been Smash Bros., but I feel that it was likely due to the fact that I had a robot and Nintendo craze back in the day (still do :p ). I thought it was one of the best games of on the GCN. And I still think it is.

Regarding his (and all Robos') size, I don't think it would be an issue. Olimar is 0.75 inches tall in his games while Robos are around 12 inches in height. So, it wouldn't be TOO hard to make the Robos around 6'0" for Shining Fighters, Aerial Beauties, Sassy Stunners, and some of the Lightning Skies (Metal Grapplers, Wild Soldiers, Burning Beasts [thought they move on all fours], Big Boys/Funky Big Heads, and Trick Flyers would be taller while Little Raiders, Little Sprinters, Old Timers, and Strike Vanishers would be shorter [though Vanishers would be more like 5'6" as opposed to the others being like 4'0"]. I don't know much about Misty Mirage Robos as they only appeared in GX).

I really feel like if the Ray Robo can be unique to the roster and would be interesting to see his play style of a aerial prominent character. i really do like this idea and fully support it!
I agree that Ray would DEFINITELY be an aerial based character. Air Speed for most Robos is generally faster than Ground Speed. However, I did make this weird discovery about movement speed of Robos. In CRA for the DS, Ray 01's maximum ground speed (I'm going by the CR Wiki, so I assume they're using top speed without Formula legs) is 121 hm/s. As F-Zero measures speed in km/h, I wanted to see how Ray's default running speed is. And well, if you convert hm/s to km/h (divide by 10 and multiply by 3600), you get 43560 km/h. As F-Zero machines in F-Zero GX move at over 2,000 km/h while using a booster in the air (or snaking), you can conclude 1 of 2 things.

1. CRA's speed values are EXTREMELY exaggerated.

2. Custom Robos are EXTREMELY fast.

I'd imagine Smash would nerf the speed of the Robos though.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
The famous three: Isaac, Ray, and Advance Wars Infantry
I would love those 3 as newcomers (a character from advance wars not an entire infantry...although).
It's interesting that both Isaac and Ray 01 are characters from past iterations of a game series, instead of the most current version. Seems people liked those characters a lot. Hope there's a chance they can be DLC.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Just popping in from the Isaac supporters to show some solidarity for another Assist Trophy to make it to playable. I always figured Ray was one of the best prospects for promotion in terms of viable moves. Here's hoping he can make it to the fight alongside Isaac, clearing the way for some new Assist Trophies.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Just popping in from the Isaac supporters to show some solidarity for another Assist Trophy to make it to playable. I always figured Ray was one of the best prospects for promotion in terms of viable moves. Here's hoping he can make it to the fight alongside Isaac, clearing the way for some new Assist Trophies.
I hope so. Those two franchises have fairly long history, and are original enough that they deserve some long-awaited sequels.
I wonder if Nintendo will do something big near TGC. Every time I watch the video for the 3DS Conference 2011, I wish that they could do something similiar to it on autumn or winter, like a Japanese version of E3. Those would be perfect times to announce a Custom Robo, being so close to Japanese markets and all...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
No no no, I mean just one basic soldier, not the whole group :awesome:
It would make more sense and kind of better represent the franchise though. They'd be kind of the anti-Lucario, losing strength the more damage they took, so you'd have to be strong out of the gate with them.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I want to announce that I have made ANOTHER error regarding the origin of certain Ray models. AIRS actually first appeared in Custom Robo GX for the GBA. You get him while fighting against the big bad of GX. Basically, after defeating the big bad's main robo, he unleashes a colossal silver robo (dunno its name as I cannot read Japanese). This robo is silver and is unable to be damaged by your robo. However, a friend of yours gives you AIRS (as well as his parts [the gun, pod {or gunners who roam and shoot for you}, bomb, and action chip {GX is different as battles are in a 2D plane where everyone flies around, so a foot part would be useless for the most part}]), who can easily defeat said silver robo.

So, I'll amend my prior post (and hopefully find out the name of that silver robo).

Edit: Fixed the edit and found out the name of the main "evil" robo in GX. It's name is Dark Chimera and it has basically perfect stats (even though it seems kinda slow and has an even stronger counterpart known as Rising Chimera). It can never be obtained by the player, however (like Jameson in V2).

It would make more sense and kind of better represent the franchise though. They'd be kind of the anti-Lucario, losing strength the more damage they took, so you'd have to be strong out of the gate with them.
I would support the Wars Battalion as a playable character as well. That kind of playstyle would be VERY interesting if executed correctly as it has never been done before.

I hope so. Those two franchises have fairly long history, and are original enough that they deserve some long-awaited sequels.
I wonder if Nintendo will do something big near TGC. Every time I watch the video for the 3DS Conference 2011, I wish that they could do something similiar to it on autumn or winter, like a Japanese version of E3. Those would be perfect times to announce a Custom Robo, being so close to Japanese markets and all...
Totally forgot about TGC. Is Nintendo doing anything at TGC this year?

Last edited:

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Totally forgot about TGC. Is Nintendo doing anything at TGC this year?
Woops,sorry about that. I might have gotten you confused.
Nintendo never does something AT TGC. Actually, they've never joined TGC itself, just sometimes have an event or a conference around that period.
Its just that...I thought it would be cool if Nintendo had TWO digital events per year,one on E3 and one around TGC,with the former focusing on global ones like Zelda or Metroid and the latter focusing on more Japan-related games, like Fire Emblem,Fatal Frame...Panel de Pon...
...Custom Robo...
(sigh) one can dream...

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
It's pretty odd that we still didn't see Ray as an Assist Trophy at this point...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It's pretty odd that we still didn't see Ray as an Assist Trophy at this point...
The only unlockable AT that has been shown thus far is Shadow, though (who pairs with Sonic). Ray, Isaac, and Advance Wars aren't out of the fire just yet.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Woops,sorry about that. I might have gotten you confused.
Nintendo never does something AT TGC. Actually, they've never joined TGC itself, just sometimes have an event or a conference around that period.
Its just that...I thought it would be cool if Nintendo had TWO digital events per year,one on E3 and one around TGC,with the former focusing on global ones like Zelda or Metroid and the latter focusing on more Japan-related games, like Fire Emblem,Fatal Frame...Panel de Pon...
...Custom Robo...
(sigh) one can dream...
My bad.

That would be nice if they did something around that time of year.

The only unlockable AT that has been shown thus far is Shadow, though (who pairs with Sonic). Ray, Isaac, and Advance Wars aren't out of the fire just yet.
True. Ray Mk III, Isaac, and the other unlockables weren't shown until March 14th, 2008 (Brawl was released on March 9th in the USA), so it's ENTIRELY possible that they are unlockable assists that won't be shown off until after the release of the game.

Personally, I hope that at least Ray and Isaac are newcomers and that they are characters not shown off via a trailer before the game's release. Ganondorf, Wolf, Toon Link, and Wolf weren't shown off until after Brawl's USA release. Also, none of the hidden characters (besides Sonic and Snake as they are 3rd party characters) were shown off until after Japan's release. Ness was the 1st hidden character shown, and he was revealed on the day after Brawl's Japan release date (January 31st vs. February 1st). So, I'd imagine that some of the characters will not be shown off until after the Japanese release day.

That being said, I don't see many hints pointing towards the inclusion of Ray or Isaac at the moment besides the fact that they weren't shown off as ATs yet. Granted, the likes of several newcomer characters like Greninja, Robin, and Rosalina weren't hinted on by the developers IIRC (unless if you considered leaks or that trophy theory as hints), so anything is possible at this point.

Last edited:

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561

Custom Robo Logo (by: deuxhero)

Welcome to the support thread for Custom Robo and in particular the Ray line model. This doesn't support a specific ray since there are so many to choose from. If you want to support him just like the first post.

History/Chronicles of Ray throughout the years of 1999-2007 by @ smashkirby smashkirby :

Ray (Custom Robo) (default)

Ray MK II (Custom Robo V2)

Ray MK II (Custom Robo Arena)

Ray 01 (Custom Robo: Battle Revolution)

X-Ray (Custom Robo GX)
and Ray MK III (Custom Robo Arena)

Play Style
Ray is a small aerial glass cannon that specializes on long range attacks. He has slow ground speed so the best way for him to get around is by jumping. His fighting style uses multiple weapons from the games. He doesn't have to use the weapons traditionally for example he could use the blade gun as a melee weapon. With his bombs and pods he can attack at different angles or even attacking from behind barriers.

Reason for having him
1. Representing one of Nintendo's series
2. Full of creation possiibilities
3. Well know to Sakurai and featured as Trophies and AT since Melee
4. Could be a represenative for this "Customizable" feature

This is an example of some move sets. If you make one and I like it I'll put it up here.

So after playing some Kirby games and Megaman I really like the idea of him using a variety of weapons in Smash. This was mention by Andorok and lobotheduck21 and I like this idea. So here is a quick mock up on Ray's move set.

Standard Attacks will mostly consist of kicks and pistol whipping. Some techniques he'll use weapons like the needle gun or the blade gun as a melee weapon. His dash attack will also be his charge attack which he shoulder checks the person.

Specials
B: Gatling Gun: Fires a short burst of rounds on a sideways direction. Does low damages but stuns them while their getting hit.
Up B: Acrobat Bomb: Drops a bomb that explodes underneath him and launches him into the air. Can be used for meteor attacks as well.
Forward B: Satellite Pods: He lays up to three pods that float in place for trapping. They do low damage but when place right can be very annoying. After some time they will explode on their own.
Down B: Standard Bomb: Lobs a bomb in an arch in order to shoot over walls and barriers. Can even be use to hit people on platforms above him.

Grapple
Catch: Uses Catch Gun similar to Samus Grapple Beam
Holds the enemy with his bomb hand and pistol whips with his gun.
Down Throw: Knocks them to the ground and use Drill Gun
Up Throw: Uses Knuckle Gun to punch them upward
Forward Throw: Plants Burrow Bomb D at his feet and lets it explode knocking him forward.
Back Throw: Pulls them behind him and uses the shotgun to the face.

Final Smash
Idea 1: SoulBoost and Weapon Upgrade
Ray transforms his special moves and turns gold with soulboost. He gets a new moveset.
B: Dragon Gun: Fires and large flaming roaring dragon that chases the nearest target.
Up B: Acrobat Bomb just like before.
Down B: Geo Trap Bomb: fires like a slower standard bomb but creates a large ground level explosion.
Forward B: Wave Pods: Fires a pod forward that when it explodes creates a wave that can go through walls.
While in soulboost he take less damage and can't be stunned or knocked down.

Idea 2: Robo Swarm
A bunch of various Custom Robos come from all sides of the screen and just wreak havoc across the stage. Little raiders running around shooting, lighting sky's flying over head bombing, funky big heads jumping around dropping pods, etc. Just a mass chaos of little robots shooting and blowing up stuff. Also a good assist trophy idea.

Ray (Original)

Ray MK II

Ray MK III

Ray 01

Ray Legend

Ray Warrior

X-Ray

Ray 2 Dark
I'd prefer Ray to have his MK II look from Custom Robo Arena if he gets in Smash.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I found this thing and it deserves to be on this thread. You may or may not have seen it, but it's pretty cool.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I made a thing and it's pretty bad, but it's as good as I could do.
A video maker and sound designer I am not, that is for certain.
(You probably know where these clips came from)

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509

That was actually pretty good. Nice job

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000

Hey, I think it's actually very well done. Beats anything I could do by long shot. And while we may not see him in ssb4, I've heard that Ray is actually faring really well when it comes to Project M speculation. On the clone engine thread, he was one of only two characters not to have a single downvote.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276

It actually looks pretty good! Didn't know there was an advertisement for Custom Robo in Germany like your description said.

Now, I want to ask a question about events that have occurred recently, but I don't want to start an argument, so I'll put it in the spoilers box.

Do you think that the recent leak with Bowser Jr., Ganondorf, and Shulk are true (why or why not)? If so, then do you think this leak hurts Ray's chances of getting in Smash 4 (why or why not)?

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Do you think that the recent leak with Bowser Jr., Ganondorf, and Shulk are true (why or why not)? If so, then do you think this leak hurts Ray's chances of getting in Smash 4 (why or why not)?
I think that the leak is real (although I've made that mistake before). In terms of Ray's chances they're the same as they were before (unlikely). I say this because he hasn't been shown in any capacity through the leaks and it is to my understanding that the roster shown in those leaks may not be the complete roster (although I am unsure on that point).

So if the leak is the full roster then that is unfortunate for us. Otherwise, I think we can continue as we were. We will officially know the full roster in 18 days anyway.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561

Custom Robo Logo (by: deuxhero)

Welcome to the support thread for Custom Robo and in particular the Ray line model. This doesn't support a specific ray since there are so many to choose from. If you want to support him just like the first post.

History/Chronicles of Ray throughout the years of 1999-2007 by @ smashkirby smashkirby :

Ray (Custom Robo) (default)

Ray MK II (Custom Robo V2)

Ray MK II (Custom Robo Arena)

Ray 01 (Custom Robo: Battle Revolution)

X-Ray (Custom Robo GX)
and Ray MK III (Custom Robo Arena)

Play Style
Ray is a small aerial glass cannon that specializes on long range attacks. He has slow ground speed so the best way for him to get around is by jumping. His fighting style uses multiple weapons from the games. He doesn't have to use the weapons traditionally for example he could use the blade gun as a melee weapon. With his bombs and pods he can attack at different angles or even attacking from behind barriers.

Reason for having him
1. Representing one of Nintendo's series
2. Full of creation possiibilities
3. Well know to Sakurai and featured as Trophies and AT since Melee
4. Could be a represenative for this "Customizable" feature

This is an example of some move sets. If you make one and I like it I'll put it up here.

So after playing some Kirby games and Megaman I really like the idea of him using a variety of weapons in Smash. This was mention by Andorok and lobotheduck21 and I like this idea. So here is a quick mock up on Ray's move set.

Standard Attacks will mostly consist of kicks and pistol whipping. Some techniques he'll use weapons like the needle gun or the blade gun as a melee weapon. His dash attack will also be his charge attack which he shoulder checks the person.

Specials
B: Gatling Gun: Fires a short burst of rounds on a sideways direction. Does low damages but stuns them while their getting hit.
Up B: Acrobat Bomb: Drops a bomb that explodes underneath him and launches him into the air. Can be used for meteor attacks as well.
Forward B: Satellite Pods: He lays up to three pods that float in place for trapping. They do low damage but when place right can be very annoying. After some time they will explode on their own.
Down B: Standard Bomb: Lobs a bomb in an arch in order to shoot over walls and barriers. Can even be use to hit people on platforms above him.

Grapple
Catch: Uses Catch Gun similar to Samus Grapple Beam
Holds the enemy with his bomb hand and pistol whips with his gun.
Down Throw: Knocks them to the ground and use Drill Gun
Up Throw: Uses Knuckle Gun to punch them upward
Forward Throw: Plants Burrow Bomb D at his feet and lets it explode knocking him forward.
Back Throw: Pulls them behind him and uses the shotgun to the face.

Final Smash
Idea 1: SoulBoost and Weapon Upgrade
Ray transforms his special moves and turns gold with soulboost. He gets a new moveset.
B: Dragon Gun: Fires and large flaming roaring dragon that chases the nearest target.
Up B: Acrobat Bomb just like before.
Down B: Geo Trap Bomb: fires like a slower standard bomb but creates a large ground level explosion.
Forward B: Wave Pods: Fires a pod forward that when it explodes creates a wave that can go through walls.
While in soulboost he take less damage and can't be stunned or knocked down.

Idea 2: Robo Swarm
A bunch of various Custom Robos come from all sides of the screen and just wreak havoc across the stage. Little raiders running around shooting, lighting sky's flying over head bombing, funky big heads jumping around dropping pods, etc. Just a mass chaos of little robots shooting and blowing up stuff. Also a good assist trophy idea.

Ray (Original)

Ray MK II

Ray MK III

Ray 01

Ray Legend

Ray Warrior

X-Ray

Ray 2 Dark
I support him getting in. Custom Robo is a very underrated series. Custom Robo for the GameCube may be in my top 10 favorite GameCube.

Hong

The Strongest
Just commentary on the lack of thread life, is all.

It's understandable. A lot of character threads have died off after the roster leak.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Yeah. And also, i'm worried about getting this video out in time before people stop using these sites for character speculation.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Just commentary on the lack of thread life, is all.

It's understandable. A lot of character threads have died off after the roster leak.
I don't think we're finished yet! We never got confirmation that the leaked roster is the final roster. I mean, didn't the leaker post a photo of All Star mode's instructions that had a lock symbol on it? Nothing proved that Ray is out of the game yet.

In regards to that, how about we discuss what Ray's custom moves COULD be based on what we have as the current specials on the 1st post?

What do you guys think should be the custom variants of Ray's specials?

I would do the following:

Neutral B: Gatling Gun
Custom 1: Sniper Gun: It deals great knockback & damage, moves fast, and has good range. However, the ending lag for the gun is VERY high and the shot itself is thin (kinda like Fox's Laser but a tiny bit bigger), so missing with it will DEFINITELY hurt badly for Ray.
Custom 2: Ion Gun: It fires 2 shots with pretty decent homing capabilities that also stun a tad. However, it's kinda on the slow side and does less damage than the Gatling Gun. So, it would be like Falco's laser mixed with Samus' tilt missiles but with 2 rounds. Would need some balancing though.

Side B: Satellite Pods
Custom 1: Trap Gunner: In Custom Robo GX, there were two types of Pods. There were the regular pods that did their usual thing like in the other games and there were the gunner pods that did damage by shooting off their own miniature gun as opposed to exploding from physical contact. Some gunners orbited you and shot bullets (like the Ouroboros Hyper for Strider Hiryu in UMvC3 or the Yammar Option in Mega Man X6) while others did their own thing like normal pods and shot when they felt it was the right timing. The Trap Gunner is more in line with the latter of the two. Ray would set down a Trap Gunner wherever he was on the battlefield at the moment (if in the air the gunner would defy gravity). Ray could only set down 1 Trap Gunner at a time, but the Trap Gunner would be able to aim wherever an opponent would be at and fire weaker bullets with minimal stun (like Falco's lasers). Some reloading time would be needed for the gunner though. This gunner would allow for Ray to set up traps that would force the opponent to keep on moving in order to avoid taking damage. In Smash, the gunner would be able to be destroyed by the opponent (though there would be a weaker explosion, so long range would work best) or be manually called back to Ray. Otherwise, it stays put.
Custom 2: Speed Pod P: This move can be used to create up to 3 copies of this pod at 1 time. As the name suggests, it moves fast. However, it's pretty much entirely ground based, so people can avoid it by jumping. If it hits an opponent, it will knock them upwards with no diagonal velocity (barring DI, of course). Good for swarming the ground and forcing the opponent to take into the air.

Up B: Acrobat Bomb
Custom 1: Robo Cannon: OK, I'm REALLY stretching it, but could one use the Robo Cannon to launch Ray? It would KIND of be like Fox's Fire Fox move where you stall for a moment and then you launch yourself, but there would be an arc to how Ray would be launched.
Custom 2: Break Tornado: In Custom Robo GX, battles are done in the air entirely, so leg chips do not exist. In place of the Leg Parts are the Action Chips. They either do an attack like a charge or they can put up a barrier that blocks attacks but prevents you from attacking as well. Break Tornado is a Melee attack that makes you go upwards. While it may lack in horizontal range like Little Mac's Rising Uppercut, it deals pretty decent damage. Think Ray's charge move but upwards. In GX, this move pierced walls, but I don't think that would be needed in Smash.

Down B: Standard Bomb
Custom 1: Wall Bomb: Unlike most bombs, the Wall Bomb blows up almost instantaneously when launched. They don't arc as well, so it can be used to stop an opponent's advance towards Ray. The major downside (or upside in some people's minds) is that the range isn't that far, so a player who relies on long range moves (like my friend who spams Din's Fire all the time) will likely not be affected by the Wall Bomb.
Custom 2: Freeze Bomb: Instead of arcing like the Standard Bomb, the Freeze Bomb would be fired in a straight line. Also, the hitstun for the weapon would be AMAZINGLY good. However, I would say make it move slower and deal less damage in order to account for balancing.

Anyways, what do you guys think? What custom moves would you choose for Ray? Also, what would his specific A moves entail?

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
My spirit to help support your character is with you Ray MK supporters. As an Isaac supporter, I know how it is to hope your character makes it beyond Assist Trophy status.

May luck be on your side.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Sigh one day Custom Robo will get its big comeback and Sakurai will have no choice but to add Ray in as playable in the next smash. I can only dream.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Whether or not he's in i'm still excited, because I know that if Custom Robo is revitalised in any way, Ray will be a prime pick for the next Smash, & if he is revitalised, we can be excited for that as well.
Also, I would love to see the AT's become characters and the fact Ray and Isaac were AT's shows they are recognised by Sakurai.

With Ray's moveset, I love the idea of him using the Knuckle gun or Blade gun for melee attacks.
I also made this:

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
I don't think we're finished yet! We never got confirmation that the leaked roster is the final roster. I mean, didn't the leaker post a photo of All Star mode's instructions that had a lock symbol on it? Nothing proved that Ray is out of the game yet.

In regards to that, how about we discuss what Ray's custom moves COULD be based on what we have as the current specials on the 1st post?

What do you guys think should be the custom variants of Ray's specials?

I would do the following:

Neutral B: Gatling Gun
Custom 1: Sniper Gun: It deals great knockback & damage, moves fast, and has good range. However, the ending lag for the gun is VERY high and the shot itself is thin (kinda like Fox's Laser but a tiny bit bigger), so missing with it will DEFINITELY hurt badly for Ray.
Custom 2: Ion Gun: It fires 2 shots with pretty decent homing capabilities that also stun a tad. However, it's kinda on the slow side and does less damage than the Gatling Gun. So, it would be like Falco's laser mixed with Samus' tilt missiles but with 2 rounds. Would need some balancing though.

Side B: Satellite Pods
Custom 1: Trap Gunner: In Custom Robo GX, there were two types of Pods. There were the regular pods that did their usual thing like in the other games and there were the gunner pods that did damage by shooting off their own miniature gun as opposed to exploding from physical contact. Some gunners orbited you and shot bullets (like the Ouroboros Hyper for Strider Hiryu in UMvC3 or the Yammar Option in Mega Man X6) while others did their own thing like normal pods and shot when they felt it was the right timing. The Trap Gunner is more in line with the latter of the two. Ray would set down a Trap Gunner wherever he was on the battlefield at the moment (if in the air the gunner would defy gravity). Ray could only set down 1 Trap Gunner at a time, but the Trap Gunner would be able to aim wherever an opponent would be at and fire weaker bullets with minimal stun (like Falco's lasers). Some reloading time would be needed for the gunner though. This gunner would allow for Ray to set up traps that would force the opponent to keep on moving in order to avoid taking damage. In Smash, the gunner would be able to be destroyed by the opponent (though there would be a weaker explosion, so long range would work best) or be manually called back to Ray. Otherwise, it stays put.
Custom 2: Speed Pod P: This move can be used to create up to 3 copies of this pod at 1 time. As the name suggests, it moves fast. However, it's pretty much entirely ground based, so people can avoid it by jumping. If it hits an opponent, it will knock them upwards with no diagonal velocity (barring DI, of course). Good for swarming the ground and forcing the opponent to take into the air.

Up B: Acrobat Bomb
Custom 1: Robo Cannon: OK, I'm REALLY stretching it, but could one use the Robo Cannon to launch Ray? It would KIND of be like Fox's Fire Fox move where you stall for a moment and then you launch yourself, but there would be an arc to how Ray would be launched.
Custom 2: Break Tornado: In Custom Robo GX, battles are done in the air entirely, so leg chips do not exist. In place of the Leg Parts are the Action Chips. They either do an attack like a charge or they can put up a barrier that blocks attacks but prevents you from attacking as well. Break Tornado is a Melee attack that makes you go upwards. While it may lack in horizontal range like Little Mac's Rising Uppercut, it deals pretty decent damage. Think Ray's charge move but upwards. In GX, this move pierced walls, but I don't think that would be needed in Smash.

Down B: Standard Bomb
Custom 1: Wall Bomb: Unlike most bombs, the Wall Bomb blows up almost instantaneously when launched. They don't arc as well, so it can be used to stop an opponent's advance towards Ray. The major downside (or upside in some people's minds) is that the range isn't that far, so a player who relies on long range moves (like my friend who spams Din's Fire all the time) will likely not be affected by the Wall Bomb.
Custom 2: Freeze Bomb: Instead of arcing like the Standard Bomb, the Freeze Bomb would be fired in a straight line. Also, the hitstun for the weapon would be AMAZINGLY good. However, I would say make it move slower and deal less damage in order to account for balancing.

Anyways, what do you guys think? What custom moves would you choose for Ray? Also, what would his specific A moves entail?
I like your ideas for custom moves, he may end up utilizing effects of other characters. IE: Bowser's flame breath = flame gun, robin's electricity = vertical gun, etc.

My spirit to help support your character is with you Ray MK supporters. As an Isaac supporter, I know how it is to hope your character makes it beyond Assist Trophy status.

May luck be on your side.
Thank you, we understand the struggle. My dream is too see Isaac, Ray, and an advance wars character all on the same battlefield someday.

AT promotion trailer. Isaac and Ray teaming up. 'Twould be awesome.
This would hype me up in a heartbeat!

Sigh one day Custom Robo will get its big comeback and Sakurai will have no choice but to add Ray in as playable in the next smash. I can only dream.
We're working on it! And we're making a video, we just need someone who can narrate it!

Whether or not he's in i'm still excited, because I know that if Custom Robo is revitalised in any way, Ray will be a prime pick for the next Smash, & if he is revitalised, we can be excited for that as well.
Also, I would love to see the AT's become characters and the fact Ray and Isaac were AT's shows they are recognised by Sakurai.

With Ray's moveset, I love the idea of him using the Knuckle gun or Blade gun for melee attacks.
I also made this:
Did you post this on Reddit by any chance?

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
So wait has either Isaac or Ray been confirmed as Assist Trophies? If so bugger! But I can see both of them not getting in, since Nintendo hasn't released a new chapter in both franchises. Despite the fact that they're both suited for Smash. Regardless if either don't end up being assist trophies, that may mean they're future DLC. Same applies to Wonder Red, who is just a trophy.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
So wait has either Isaac or Ray been confirmed as Assist Trophies? If so bugger! But I can see both of them not getting in, since Nintendo hasn't released a new chapter in both franchises. Despite the fact that they're both suited for Smash. Regardless if either don't end up being assist trophies, that may mean they're future DLC. Same applies to Wonder Red, who is just a trophy.
No, Isaac and Ray are both unconfirmed so far. Hopefully, they're both playable.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'm starting to think that ray and Isaac's ATs may be absent from the game, only to become playable via DLC. How awesome would that be!

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
I'm starting to think that ray and Isaac's ATs may be absent from the game, only to become playable via DLC. How awesome would that be!
I think (somebody else) should begin a petition for this right now, so when Sakurai asks who we want to see, it's right there with plenty of support.

Top Bottom