• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Sonic Speed: Sensational Sonic Guides!

MagneticMirror

Smash Rookie
NNID
magneticmirror

Smashboards moderator and Sonic main @ Camalange Camalange alongside users on the Sonic Boards have been putting some serious work into finding unique and useful tricks for Sonic in Smash for Wii U. All featured on Camalange's Youtube channel, these should seriously up the game of all Sonic mains. The newest of these is the Instant Spin Dash Jump, a technique that give Sonic even more mobility and movement options and could be very useful in a match.

Need more ways to fly across the stage at Sonic speeds? Well Camalange has it covered! Try learning how to Spinshot and use it in an upcoming match.

Don't play Sonic? Feeling left out by this article? Well there's still one more unique technique that works for every third party character in the game thus far! While not as potentially useful for the others as it is for Sonic, it can still be a fun way to surprise opponents and friends alike during a match.

Hopefully Sonic mains can use these to up their game even further! To keep up with any future videos from Camalange subscribe to his Youtube channel or follow him on Twitter.

SmashCapps found all of these videos very helpful and wants to try out what he saw! Follow him on Twitter to discuss these videos and keep up with all things Smash.
I still think sonic is a great character but after the patch I've found a lot of sonic mains giving up on him

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
If I can join in on the critiquing, the jokes really don't stay on long enough for me to be able to comfortably pause to read them, especially on mobile and other touch screen using hybrid devices when you can't slow the video down to 0.25% speed. You should consider making them show up sooner (and last until the time they currently end to avoid making the slide last longer).
I'll admit to those jokes being mostly selfishly for me. They're not important for the viewer but if people stop to enjoy them, then that's cool. I also think YouTube is far more friendly on not-mobile, especially since I don't think mobile users see annotations, so it's hard to properly make a product flawless for all devices. Some people like the one frame gags and others don't, so it's not coming out of the blue for me to see this.
I also disagree with suggestion to use :GCB: and other GameCube buttons, and unlike that post just saying "I don't like it.", I'll attempt to explain why I don't think you should change it, or at least to that if you do later down the line, at least for the info slides.

The current form is already clear enough about what you mean, especially with the colored buttons.
It also better accommodates other controllers such as Pro/WiiMote,and 3DS.
Accommodating the GameCube buttons into the slides would require one of a few things, a much larger type face, making the buttons really small and muddy, having larger line breaks/one unusually large one like in this post, having everything on one line every time you say something/on the very first line of a pargraph, or half reduce the button size half enlarge the text as well, which should have a decent result but it'll probably take more editing than the other options.

And for something more subjective, I think it looks cleaner the way it is now with how much you say per slide, it'll also avoid potential direction confusion, since I personally think saying Back-___ is easier to remember and show than :GCR:/:GCL:___ and it'll make editing/recording easier as well since you won't have to worry about which direction you're looking at before making an slide/footage to accommodate the other.
Although if you're showing something really simple (that doesn't need a text explanation longer than a few words) and also using animated buttons and video in sync with when you're supposed to do something in the style of the training videos, I think that'd be ok.
It's funny because this was basically my line of thinking.

I first considered the buttons but felt it might look too busy or convoluted, and would limit the audience to only GameCube controller users and I'd get a ton of comments asking "does this work on Wii U Pro" etc.
quote]I think it might be too soon to re-do the videos unless you're planning some big changes.
If there's more things that need to be covered, and if you do re/make them, make sure you change the title to say it's outdated and un-list it instead of deleting it.[/quote]
Oh, I don't really want to remake them... I considered it, only for Third Party Warp because I didn't realize it worked for Pac and now the video feels incomplete -_- but Spinshot only needed a patch note. Primarily, I don't want to take a hit to my view count as I'm still an insanely small channel just now finally starting to perhaps get some traction, haha. The higher view count leads to the higher chance of showing up in suggested feeds and such, so I would only ever redo them if I had a large audience, and even then it seems unnecessary.
Also random complaint, but I just kind think your channel's avatar/profile art clashes with how silent the videos are, since it gives me the impression that it's supposed to be a personally driven channel initially.
Can you explain what you mean by this?

If the problem lies in me marketing myself as a personality, then you're not wrong. I know the information is a collaboration, but I do all the editing, capturing, and everything on the production end on my own. It is my channel, and I credit those who assisted in exploring whatever topic I'm working on myself. The point is though to make a brand out of myself as I think that's crucial for a YouTube channel (it's Camalange and I'm Camalange) and I'm not at a point yet where anyone else is on the team but me. If anything, I like the idea of possibly bringing on guests or other people who would want to collaborate, but this is a personal effort.

I keep most of the videos silent though because even though it is a personal effort, I don't want to just inject myself where I don't belong. If I don't feel it needs my voice or my face in the video, I won't throw myself at the masses. I think these types of tutorials benefit from gameplay and text, as it's about the technique and not about me.
:4rob::4rob:I would love to see one of these guide collections for R.O.B. ;):4rob::4rob:
^ See, I actually had something like this in mind. I'm close friends IRL with the R.O.B. mod and we are in talks of possibly collaborating to make R.O.B. tutorials as well.

:093:

Last edited:

Mochamico

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyPancy
3DS FC
3437-4422-3883
Oh boy more guides on a top tier character that everybody already knows everything about yaaay thanks guys
This. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but with Sonic, when you've fought one, you've fought them all. Most of the "top tier" characters tend to have one playstyle. I don't think I've fought a single Sonic that didn't use u-air or neutral air after jumping in the side b, among many other moves that rarely hit, yet they keep using them.
Like I said, you've fought one, you've fought them all.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The sheer amount of ignorance in this thread is disheartening.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
Hum... Another easy to use character gets a guide... Welp, one step closer to something like a Peach in depth guide or something. Good stuff.
Sonic has actually one of the higher skill ceilings and there's already been a Peach video guide.

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
I'll admit to those jokes being mostly selfishly for me. They're not important for the viewer but if people stop to enjoy them, then that's cool. I also think YouTube is far more friendly on not-mobile, especially since I don't think mobile users see annotations, so it's hard to properly make a product flawless for all devices. Some people like the one frame gags and others don't, so it's not coming out of the blue for me to see this.

It's funny because this was basically my line of thinking.

I first considered the buttons but felt it might look too busy or convoluted, and would limit the audience to only GameCube controller users and I'd get a ton of comments asking "does this work on Wii U Pro" etc.

Oh, I don't really want to remake them... I considered it, only for Third Party Warp because I didn't realize it worked for Pac and now the video feels incomplete -_- but Spinshot only needed a patch note. Primarily, I don't want to take a hit to my view count as I'm still an insanely small channel just now finally starting to perhaps get some traction, haha. The higher view count leads to the higher chance of showing up in suggested feeds and such, so I would only ever redo them if I had a large audience, and even then it seems unnecessary.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

If the problem lies in me marketing myself as a personality, then you're not wrong. I know the information is a collaboration, but I do all the editing, capturing, and everything on the production end on my own. It is my channel, and I credit those who assisted in exploring whatever topic I'm working on myself. The point is though to make a brand out of myself as I think that's crucial for a YouTube channel (it's Camalange and I'm Camalange) and I'm not at a point yet where anyone else is on the team but me. If anything, I like the idea of possibly bringing on guests or other people who would want to collaborate, but this is a personal effort.

I keep most of the videos silent though because even though it is a personal effort, I don't want to just inject myself where I don't belong. If I don't feel it needs my voice or my face in the video, I won't throw myself at the masses. I think these types of tutorials benefit from gameplay and text, as it's about the technique and not about me.
Sorry about the super late reply, I was too busy to really reply until now.

I get that they're mostly for yourself, but you could still help more people enjoy it like that, even if it really isn't important as a whole.
And I guess mobile youtube really isn't that friendly, especially after the latest update, but still, just because it's bad doesn't mean it can't be improved, especially since more and more people use phones as their only means of browsing the internet.
For the annotations thing, you could just add a part telling people to look at the description for corrections and updates, and just add all the corrections there.
It'll also help those that have the plugins needed to see annotations disabled as well.

And yeah, that sounds like solid reasoning for both of those. I was just curious.

And it's hard for me to explain, but from a quick glance, your avatar just gives me the impression that your channel is like say, the Two Best Friends channel, or Jesse Cox.
An actual look at your channel will quickly dispel those impressions since your face isn't plastered everywhere, but I just wanted to mention it anyway since first impressions are important.

Also I still don't have too much time to carefully read over what you were asking in detail, so I rushed through it a bit, so if I missed answering anything, especially if it's obvious, feel free to tell me (off) and ask again.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sorry about the super late reply, I was too busy to really reply until now.
Damn, I was mad confused by this notification lol but thanks!
I get that they're mostly for yourself, but you could still help more people enjoy it like that, even if it really isn't important as a whole.
And I guess mobile youtube really isn't that friendly, especially after the latest update, but still, just because it's bad doesn't mean it can't be improved, especially since more and more people use phones as their only means of browsing the internet.
I'll consider it for the future.

As for mobile, it's hard to make something optimal for mobile, let alone any platform, as YouTube is always changing but I can try to make it friendlier as I'm well aware most people watch from their phones.
For the annotations thing, you could just add a part telling people to look at the description for corrections and updates, and just add all the corrections there.
It'll also help those that have the plugins needed to see annotations disabled as well.
Lately I've been putting all patch notes in the description as well.
And yeah, that sounds like solid reasoning for both of those. I was just curious.

And it's hard for me to explain, but from a quick glance, your avatar just gives me the impression that your channel is like say, the Two Best Friends channel, or Jesse Cox.
An actual look at your channel will quickly dispel those impressions since your face isn't plastered everywhere, but I just wanted to mention it anyway since first impressions are important.
Hm, I can see how that could be misconstrued. I do like keeping consistent "branding", if you will, as I do aspire to be a personality and all of my platforms have matching themes and design.
Also I still don't have too much time to carefully read over what you were asking in detail, so I rushed through it a bit, so if I missed answering anything, especially if it's obvious, feel free to tell me (off) and ask again.
It's quite alright, I appreciate anyone taking the time to give constructive feedback. I'll always consider it, and chances are they're usually things I've already considered myself and just haven't acted on or implemented yet. Thank you.

Top Bottom