• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2: The Future

Super Smash Flash 2 is sometimes overlooked when it comes to the fanmade Smash games. Many do not realize it has a vibrant competitive scene with its own top players, notable tournament organizers, and intricate development history. Each Wednesday over the month of September we've featured an article about some aspect of the game. We've learned about the game's history, one of its top players, about streaming the game, and about its tournament scene. Today we shall discuss what is coming to the game and its future.

New Characters

Mr. Game and Watch, Luigi, Bowser, and Isaac are all on their way into the game! Isaac, being a character commonly requested character to be added to the mainstream Smash titles, is an especially welcome addition. His special moves were shown off in the latest McLeodGaming Direct. There was a trailer made for Bowser showing some of what he can do as well as a showcase for Mr. Game and Watch. There could be other characters still not announced as well as characters getting reworked like Mega-Man, Lloyd, Sora, and Tails. The roster is becoming bigger and more exciting for the Beta!

New and Improved Stages

Many stages are getting upgrades including Pokemon Colosseum, Bomb Factory, Sky Sanctuary Zone, Clock Town, Dracula's Castle, Saturn Valley, Silph Co. Starship Mario, Smashville, Battlefield, Phase 8, and Final Destination. This doesn't even include the new stage inspired by Chibi Robo: Desk! Taking stats from player's computers for its clock, having interactive parts, and other hidden secrets are all within this new stage detailed in the latest McleodGaming Direct.

New And Improved Game Modes

Several improvements are being made in the game mode department. First not only will Break the Targets have a new stage any character can take on, but character specific stages will be added to the game! Home Run Contest and Classic Mode, both staples of the mainstream titles, will also be coming to the game. They will also be debuting a brand new mode never seen before in a Smash game called: Arena Mode. The first Arena that has been shown is Sandbag Soccer as seen above. The idea is use characters to hit the Sandbag into the opponent's goal. The Sandbag's damage will build as rounds go on making it harder and harder to stop shots. This is only one arena shown, so more are hidden for players and fans to speculate on.

---​

This game has the potential to grow leaps and bounds with those participating growing just as quickly. There are chances to be the next Lunary and rise a top player. There's a chance to become one of the game's biggest streamers, one of the most popular tournament organizers; a chance for any who take it rise, gain fame, and most importantly have fun. Hopefully through this monthly series readers have gotten the inspiration to take part within the game. Go and give the game a try on the McLeodGaming website and start a journey to become the next legend in Super Smash Flash 2!

Comments

I just remember it feeling rather wonky the last time I played it, The camera felt especially awkward honestly. Plus I remember not being able to get rid of certain items like the Homerun bats and Beam Swords.

Again, the only reason I hold a grudge against it is the people who force it upon me or others. I am not kidding when I say people say this stuff. Doesn't help that people also use it to excuse "GOKU HAZ A CHANCE 4 SMASH FOUR!!111oneone" as said above.

And for those wondering why I find Pac-Man's status "insulting"? It just upsets me that pretty much everyone I see ignores every other important game he has had other than the original Arcade game. And I even said, If they didn't want him in, fine. I still think someone like Mr. Driller or Mappy would have been better to fill his place, seeing how they keep the classic cartoony and wacky charm he had.

Hopefully you can see where I come from...

S ssbMars , @T4ylor
I love how nobody can take opinions these days.

Last edited:
It's nice some people actually understand me now, but I'm still baffled that everybody else can't take an opinion apparently, especially when the most important aspect, the gameplay was what I disliked the most rather than the character selection. *sigh* Lovely...

I am not disowning the devs and I appreciate what they do, but for people out there to go and say "lol SSF2 is better than the real thing, **** your game" and so on. ((There are actually people who say this)) It's only driven me even more away from it.

And again, If you like it: fine. Don't go out of your way to call it superior over any of the official games and that people HAVE to play it though. And on a side note, this fangame will not do anything to add Goku to SSB4, stop asking.
While I AM one of the people who thinks it has the potential to be superior to the official games and I consider it my primary Smash game, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not going to shove it down anyone's throats. Just like it wouldn't be right to shove Melee, PM, or 4 down other peoples' throats if those are your primary games.

I just remember it feeling rather wonky the last time I played it, The camera felt especially awkward honestly. Plus I remember not being able to get rid of certain items like the Homerun bats and Beam Swords.

Again, the only reason I hold a grudge against it is the people who force it upon me or others. I am not kidding when I say people say this stuff. Doesn't help that people also use it to excuse "GOKU HAZ A CHANCE 4 SMASH FOUR!!111oneone" as said above.

And for those wondering why I find Pac-Man's status "insulting"? It just upsets me that pretty much everyone I see ignores every other important game he has had other than the original Arcade game. And I even said, If they didn't want him in, fine. I still think someone like Mr. Driller or Mappy would have been better to fill his place, seeing how they keep the classic cartoony and wacky charm he had.

Hopefully you can see where I come from...

S ssbMars , @T4ylor
The camera was designed for a small browser window. It's a common complaint, and the devs HAVE noticed; I'm confident that there will be an option more appropriate for fullscreen in the future.

And about Lloyd, he was one of the first four characters programmed (alongside Mario, Kirby, and Ichigo) way back in the very first demo. Cleod was still a teenager at the time, and the game was still mostly for his own fanservice at the time. I don't think he would have made it if he wasn't programmed before the revamp.

Last edited:
Lloyd has one of the best movesets of any smash game imho. And I have no idea who the hell he is but I'm fine with him being in the game because it's someone else's game.
Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Symphonia 2, however he plays a MUCH more major role in the first game.

Why so much ssf2 hype all of the sudden? Imo the game is unplayable without proper controls.

Why so much ssf2 hype all of the sudden? Imo the game is unplayable without proper controls.
The devs do strongly and repeatedly encourage people to use a gamecube controller and a program like Xpadder. It's really not designed for a keyboard anymore; it just remains as a quick and convenient option.

The devs do strongly and repeatedly encourage people to use a gamecube controller and a program like Xpadder. It's really not designed for a keyboard anymore; it just remains as a quick and convenient option.
this is misinformation to the max
I stand by the opinion that keyboard is the most responsive/accurate control method for this game - myself and the majority of top players use keyboard instead of a controller in ssf2.
inputs are purely digital instead of analog, and while analog movement can be simulated on a controller, it's not gonna be as precise as using a dash/walk button.
ESPECIALLY for dash-cancel dashdancing/pivots, which nobody seems to do while using a controller (nobody does pivots with a keyboard either but that's cause nobody likes playing neutral in ssf2 lol).

SSF2: the Fangame that puts a Generic RPG swordsman over Pac-Man...

*sigh* :/

Surprised these devs STILL ignore that he was the most requested since Brawl... And they obviously never looked at the Pac-Man World games.

((And before you ask, No: I never thought it played well either. It's basically Brawl with even worse physics IMO))
This **** again?

this is misinformation to the max
I stand by the opinion that keyboard is the most responsive/accurate control method for this game - myself and the majority of top players use keyboard instead of a controller in ssf2.
inputs are purely digital instead of analog, and while analog movement can be simulated on a controller, it's not gonna be as precise as using a dash/walk button.
ESPECIALLY for dash-cancel dashdancing/pivots, which nobody seems to do while using a controller (nobody does pivots with a keyboard either but that's cause nobody likes playing neutral in ssf2 lol).
You do realize keyboard controls are banned in offline tournaments, right?

The backroom unanimously decided that keyboard setups:
1. Are cumbersome and difficult
2. Make it WAY too easy to "accidentally" press the opponent's keys

Every SSF2 setup I've ever seen used a GC controller setup.

Last edited:
Mario123311 Mario123311 : I might as well give a quick note about Lloyd, the character you take issue with. Not an argument, just an aside comment.

He was one of the first four characters programmed (the other three being Ichigo, Mario, and Kirby) in the very first demo way back in 2007. Cleod was still just a teenager at the time, and as such, the game was still primarily for his own personal fanservice.

Had they put Lloyd off until the revamp, I don't think he would have made it in.

Mario123311 Mario123311 : I might as well give a quick note about Lloyd, the character you take issue with. Not an argument, just an aside comment.

He was one of the first four characters programmed (the other three being Ichigo, Mario, and Kirby) in the very first demo way back in 2007. Cleod was still just a teenager at the time, and as such, the game was still primarily for his own personal fanservice.

Had they put Lloyd off until the revamp, I don't think he would have made it in.
Understandable, Still: I feel if you are going to include Mario, Sonic and Mega Man you ought to choose someone who fits alongside them, really. Now, my (fan made) rosters I have made I typically try to cater to certain people and add sensible characters, though things I won't add are due to it being shoved down my throat everywhere I have gone. ((Geno, I am looking directly at you))

And even as a fangame I get we can add pretty much any character you want I want them to make sense in all honestly as well, if I want an FPS rep I'll chose Doomguy, Cartoon characters? Probably Mickey Mouse or Ed Edd n Eddy. I guess I am kind of strict with things but I typically want to chose characters who are also rather well known for a majority. granted I will put maybe one or two characters of my personal liking the most but still.

SSF2 is an amazing game, I don't get why it has random smash fans who trash it even though they've never played it. I do also believe that the fight between Crusade and SSF2 needs to stop, its just like the Sm4sh and Melee war.

Uh...literally the two most notable Smash fan-games are SSF2 and Crusade.
IMO it should read "Fan-made games are often overlooked when it comes to Smash Bros." Crusade and Smash Flash really are the leading titles in fan games. The latest Crusade update was also a total Kreygasm. It removed many of the qualities that originally deterred me from checking it out (variable jump, odd character/stage size ratio, jankiness and radically different physics.) I'll bet it's generally much more presentable to common Smash fans now.
There was also that GB Smash demake fan-game but that didn't get as much attention.
I only recently heard about this game and it piqued my interesting. I'm definitely trying it out. To anyone reading this, try it out too! http://www.supersmashland.com/
S ssbMars , @T4ylor
PacMan is a decent inclusion and would most definitely boast a creative moveset worth checking out. Believe it or not though, yes I actually disagree with your opinion that Greg Mcleod and his volunteer devs are cold people and that SSF2 "gets WAY to much publicity than it deserves. I honestly hope you're not trying to play the victim here.

Last edited:
Did you not even read my previous post? I'm not trying to argue but I am stating why I find it just facepalm-worthy to me. And no, That's not WHY I don't like the game. Look above: Gameplay. There, okay?

Also "triggered"? You should realize I am nowhere near one of those SJW idiots you can find across the web these days.

((NO MORE DRAMA PLEA-

God dammit.

First off, that wasn't directed at the Smashboards community or those who support the game. But at the idiots who I tend to see saying "SSF2 has already outdone Smash 4, Screw you Sakurai." and "SSF2 is the REAL smash 4"... Do you even see what I mean?

Knock it off.

*sigh* I love how nobody here can't take opinions or read what you type the way you intended.
Here's what I'm gonna say. I get your point, but don't compare a FAN GAME to an official game, or atleast treat it as its own instalment. the gameplay is the way it is because its for PC NOT Wii or Wii U. So being based off of Brawl as well as altering the gameplay mechanics to better fit the keyboard and you do have a somewhat "watered down" version of Brawl. Its fine to compare a character that was in an official game to his appearance and gameplay in SSF2 but don't compare the game itself to Smash4 or even Brawl. This is a different game with its own gameplay. Pretend its a sequel to the official games with it own characters and rules its own competitive scene and so much more. And just like in the originals some characters get cut and new characters get added, but that doesn't make the anymore fun for those who do play and enjoy the game.

I have a question to ask, do those of you who started playing smash with Melee or Brawl prefer those games over newer other instalments simply because it was your first smash game? I ask because SSF2 was my first smash game and what got me into the smash community in the first place. I know a lot of people complain about Brawl, because of how different it was to Melee. So naturally I played Brawl before Melee and dislike the Melee Air Dodge system.

I honestly hope you're not trying to play the victim here.
I never was in the first place.

O omegafalcon Please look at my posts above you, Yeah um.. I just can't get into it. Forget about the character choices, What matters most is The gameplay was just wonky to me. Safe to say I think Hello's games on MFGG have smoother physics personally. But again, that's just me. If you like it, good. Don't boast about it being "superior" though. This goes for every other thing I see, Melee, Project M, Crusade... But still, if it's Smash Bros. I don't see any reason NOT to compare it to it's official game. It IS definently a huge improvement over SSF1 which looking back at was rather poor.

Last edited:
Mario123311 Mario123311 If it makes you feel any better, chances are that all official Smash characters will be make into expansion characters (downloadable DLC) after the release of the final game (at least that's what the developers said countless times before the SSF2 expansion forums would be closed down permanently).

This is a R.O.B. main speaking and his chances of being in the final roster were low to begin with, even being absent from their first initially planned roster. Even other favorite characters of mines like Dedede, Mewtwo, and Ganondorf might not make the final cut no matter how hard they're requested.

Last edited:

You don't have to make excuses for Lloyd's inclusion. Tales of Symphonia was the top selling RPG on the gamecube after Final Fantasy and Paper Mario 2. He's a great character, from a great game series with a large fanbase. But regardless of his merits, him being Cleod's favorite just means that he has good taste. :denzel:

Mario123311 Mario123311 I get your point, and I was just trying to explain to you why the gameplay is the way it is. Just trying to give you a understanding of how things are. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

You do realize keyboard controls are banned in offline tournaments, right?

The backroom unanimously decided that keyboard setups:
1. Are cumbersome and difficult
2. Make it WAY too easy to "accidentally" press the opponent's keys

Every SSF2 setup I've ever seen used a GC controller setup.
I'm sorry but who the **** made you the authority on ssf2 controls lmao.

since we're numbering points now:
1. controllers are a preference. I'd wager that I can vastly outmaneuver many people with my 'difficult and cumbersome' keyboard compared to their controller. stop mixing up opinion with fact.
2. there has been like one offline tournament of note in the history of the game, and keyboards were allowed last time I checked.
3. most competitive play is online, and keyboards are certainly allowed there.

keyboards are only 'banned' by the SSF2 'backroom'. I think it's absurd that you think their decision (hidden in an obscure mcleodgaming forum post nonetheless) will affect offline play.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but who the **** made you the authority on ssf2 controls lmao.

since we're numbering points now:
1. controllers are a preference. I'd wager that I can vastly outmaneuver many people with my 'difficult and cumbersome' keyboard compared to their controller. stop mixing up opinion with fact.
2. there has been like one offline tournament of note in the history of the game, and keyboards were allowed last time I checked.
3. most competitive play is online, and keyboards are certainly allowed there.

keyboards are only 'banned' by the SSF2 'backroom'. I think it's absurd that you think their decision (hidden in an obscure mcleodgaming forum post nonetheless) will affect offline play.
Let me add a few things while i'm here and about to (ironically) play SSF2
1. Not everybody in the world has access to a GC Controller and the software to convert it to actually work on your games for PC.
2. Idk if it's possible, but can you plug in two keyboards to have actual two players?

Let me add a few things while i'm here and about to (ironically) play SSF2
1. Not everybody in the world has access to a GC Controller and the software to convert it to actually work on your games for PC.
2. Idk if it's possible, but can you plug in two keyboards to have actual two players?
This, I also wonder if that's possible.

SSF2 is amazing!
and ofcourse it have future, isn't everyone who can buy a console to have the last smash , and also help those who dont have a computer good enough to emulate Wii/GameCube, also like some players said, the gameplay isnt too floaty... but one thing that still kinda wierd is the characters alternative palettes... I still wonder if my favorite color will be there (R.I.P Blue 'n Red Mario Color SSB - SSBB)

Lets support the project!
thats all, Leod and team keep working!
#Peace The Dark Mario/Dark Mario Bros

Last edited:
Top Bottom