• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2: The Future

Super Smash Flash 2 is sometimes overlooked when it comes to the fanmade Smash games. Many do not realize it has a vibrant competitive scene with its own top players, notable tournament organizers, and intricate development history. Each Wednesday over the month of September we've featured an article about some aspect of the game. We've learned about the game's history, one of its top players, about streaming the game, and about its tournament scene. Today we shall discuss what is coming to the game and its future.

New Characters

Mr. Game and Watch, Luigi, Bowser, and Isaac are all on their way into the game! Isaac, being a character commonly requested character to be added to the mainstream Smash titles, is an especially welcome addition. His special moves were shown off in the latest McLeodGaming Direct. There was a trailer made for Bowser showing some of what he can do as well as a showcase for Mr. Game and Watch. There could be other characters still not announced as well as characters getting reworked like Mega-Man, Lloyd, Sora, and Tails. The roster is becoming bigger and more exciting for the Beta!

New and Improved Stages

Many stages are getting upgrades including Pokemon Colosseum, Bomb Factory, Sky Sanctuary Zone, Clock Town, Dracula's Castle, Saturn Valley, Silph Co. Starship Mario, Smashville, Battlefield, Phase 8, and Final Destination. This doesn't even include the new stage inspired by Chibi Robo: Desk! Taking stats from player's computers for its clock, having interactive parts, and other hidden secrets are all within this new stage detailed in the latest McleodGaming Direct.

New And Improved Game Modes

Several improvements are being made in the game mode department. First not only will Break the Targets have a new stage any character can take on, but character specific stages will be added to the game! Home Run Contest and Classic Mode, both staples of the mainstream titles, will also be coming to the game. They will also be debuting a brand new mode never seen before in a Smash game called: Arena Mode. The first Arena that has been shown is Sandbag Soccer as seen above. The idea is use characters to hit the Sandbag into the opponent's goal. The Sandbag's damage will build as rounds go on making it harder and harder to stop shots. This is only one arena shown, so more are hidden for players and fans to speculate on.

---​

This game has the potential to grow leaps and bounds with those participating growing just as quickly. There are chances to be the next Lunary and rise a top player. There's a chance to become one of the game's biggest streamers, one of the most popular tournament organizers; a chance for any who take it rise, gain fame, and most importantly have fun. Hopefully through this monthly series readers have gotten the inspiration to take part within the game. Go and give the game a try on the McLeodGaming website and start a journey to become the next legend in Super Smash Flash 2!

Comments

Can we just make a Super Smash Flash 2 sub forum already? I mean PM already has one and a lot of people see a bright future in this game so what are we waiting for?

SSF2: the Fangame that puts a Generic RPG swordsman over Pac-Man...

*sigh* :/

Surprised these devs STILL ignore that he was the most requested since Brawl... And they obviously never looked at the Pac-Man World games.

((And before you ask, No: I never thought it played well either. It's basically Brawl with even worse physics IMO))

Surprised these devs STILL ignore that he was the most requested since Brawl... And they obviously never looked at the Pac-Man World games.

((And before you ask, No: I never thought it played well either. It's basically Brawl with even worse physics IMO))
Just because Smash 4 did it, doesn't mean a fan game has to do the same. Let people choose characters they feel would add more to the Smash series and for there own fan game.

Just because Smash 4 did it, doesn't mean a fan game has to do the same. Let people choose characters they feel would add more to the Smash series and for there own fan game.
I know this... But then they go out of their way to make him an assist trophy as nothing more than his 8-bit Sprite. Again people, Pac-Man is more than just a floating pizza with a mouth, okay? I probably wouldn't have minded if the game played better or they simply didn't do that insulting "thing".

Super Smash Flash 2 has come a long way from its glitch-riddled predecessor Super Smash Flash 1, and I thank the staff for all the work that they've put in the game! A lot of the new modes, features, and minor touches have quite the creativity, many Super Smash Flash 2 musical compositions/remixes are just stellar, and how can you not get hyped for something like "FINAL FORM MODE" (that's still a thing, right)?

While I have slight issues with certain Super Smash Flash 2 implementations (Ragnarok/Odyssey not being assigned as a Special Move for Isaac (yet); no Monkey D. Luffy yet to complete the quintessential shonen quartet; Castle Siege being changed to not use the Super Smash Bros. Melee version or Super Smash Bros. Brawl version of the "Fire Emblem musical medley ('Together, We Ride!' + 'Fire Emblem Series' Main Theme')" from Super Smash Bros. Melee - although I can't fault the fan-game too much; I already critique some aspects of Super Smash Bros. Brawl/4 enough already), the game as a whole is very promising, and the movesets for characters like Black Mage, Bomberman, and Chibi-Robo just ooze awesomeness.
And to top it off, Naruto Uzumaki, Ichigo Kurosaki, and Son Goku all appear as guests! (regardless of how people may feel about "anime characters" creeping into the game, I feel that their implementation and movesets work very well and one would be hard-pressed to creatively replicate their implementation/movesets with any other existing videogame character. And at least Naruto and Goku have made some notable contributions to videogaming with the Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm series and the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai/Budokai Tenkaichi series, respectively). Oh, and Sora of Kingdom Hearts is cool, too!

The potential of "import/custom characters" alone is fantastic (if they can be implemented properly), as it opens up many more possibilities for the roster (which alone is fantastic, giving many viable characters a method of play in Super Smash Bros. that would otherwise not be possible in the official series - namely, inclusion of the anime characters).

-----

Hey, even Masahiro Sakurai initially thought that Pac-Man was a far-fetched inclusion during the early days of the Super Smash Bros. Brawl era. I was initially fine with the Super Smash Flash 2 Assist Trophy implementation of Pac-Man, but Super Smash Bros. 4 did wonders regarding Pac-Man's creative moveset. And despite the Pac-Man World games existing, I would think that the "pizza-shape" Pac-Man readily comes to mind for most people, and I feel that it's admittedly hard to devise a moveset around that with actions aside from eating. I'm not sure of how often Pac-Man was requested pre-SSB4 (Megaman seems to top him in that regard), but the humanoid Isaac does kind of lend himself more to attacks than the globular Pac-Man...

And Isaac is anything but a generic swordsman. :laugh: As people who have played Golden Sun can attest to and have similarly stated, Isaac has so many feasible attacks for potential Super Smash Bros. use that (excluding globally spawning sword-based items like the Beam Sword) he wouldn't even need to lay a finger on a Golden Sun sword (such as the Sol Blade) to take on foes in the Super Smash Bros. series - his geokinesis (especially with the Super Smash Bros. series largely lacking any "earth element" techniques so far), myriad of Djinn, and powerful Summons can easily do all the combat for him. Sword-wielding is just a bonus with him!

In any case, I'm thrilled that Isaac is even playable in Super Smash Flash 2; hopefully, Super Smash Bros. 4 (or 5+?) can accord him with proper playable status in the near future..

Last edited:
I know this... But then they go out of their way to make him an assist trophy as nothing more than his 8-bit Sprite. Again people, Pac-Man is more than just a floating pizza with a mouth, okay? I probably wouldn't have minded if the game played better or they simply didn't do that insulting "thing".
Have you ever played SSF2 before? He's in his classic form because its a throwback to his arcade game. When summoned the player actually has the ability to control where Pac-Man goes, like his arcade game.

Isaac is this SSF2's Robin, a half-swordsman. Only his Side Smash and his Air Attacks use his sword. And just incase your talking about Lloyd, I think we already explained that one to you in the previous thread.

It's because nobody sadly even told Sakurai to, Oh I don't know... look at these games? They weren't that old when Brawl was being developed you know. It's WHY I find I insulting that people see Pac-Man as nothing more than "That one munching ball". And before you even make any excuses on how he couldn't fight: People could just say "All Mario does is jump". See what I mean? It's ridiculous. Issac I never found interesting in the first place, But I can actually see his appeal somewhat. Llyoid Ivring I never saw the appeal to in the first place, and I just find him overrall boring, hence why I refer to him as "Generic Swordsman" above. Fine if you don't want Pac-Man, at least chose someone with his charm at least like Dig Dug or Mr. Driller or even the Katamari Prince for that matter, They are rather heavily promoted mascots by Namco.

All I can say is SSF2 gets WAY to much publicity than it deserves IMO, The devs aren't as Egotistical as Brutal Doom's creator but they still are rather cold and have left a pretty sour taste in my mouth with how they handle things... And again, It's also with how it PLAYS. I didn't find it all that great, It just felt like an even more watered down Brawl. Sure I found the Sprite and artwork cool but it's really not that great. It's not bad ((and it's certainly an improvement over it's first entry)) but it's not "better than the real thing" like people go out of their way to say.

It's because nobody sadly even told Sakurai to, Oh I don't know... look at these games? They weren't that old when Brawl was being developed you know. It's WHY I find I insulting that people see Pac-Man as nothing more than "That one munching ball". And before you even make any excuses on how he couldn't fight: People could just say "All Mario does is jump". See what I mean? It's ridiculous. Issac I never found interesting in the first place, But I can actually see his appeal somewhat. Llyoid Ivring I never saw the appeal to in the first place, and I just find him overrall boring, hence why I refer to him as "Generic Swordsman" above. Fine if you don't want Pac-Man, at least chose someone with his charm at least like Dig Dug or Mr. Driller or even the Katamari Prince for that matter, They are rather heavily promoted mascots by Namco.

All I can say is SSF2 gets WAY to much publicity than it deserves IMO, The devs aren't as Egotistical as Brutal Doom's creator but they still are rather cold and have left a pretty sour taste in my mouth with how they handle things... And again, It's also with how it PLAYS. I didn't find it all that great, It just felt like an even more watered down Brawl. Sure I found the Sprite and artwork cool but it's really not that great. It's not bad ((and it's certainly an improvement over it's first entry)) but it's not "better than the real thing" like people go out of their way to say.
Look, I understand you're upset SSF2 made Pac-Man an Assist Trophy, but he's playable in Smash 4 and not just a "munching ball".

Let's let developers of their fangames add characters they want to add. Maybe they don't feel the same about Pac-Man that you do.

Understood. Still my opinion stands on it getting too much publicity than it deserves... And one more time: I didn't find the gameplay that enjoyable, and I think even Crusade did it better IMO.

I REALLY wish people would stop overpraising it like several other things I know of that should not be treated like a holy grail... I won't say what those are though. ((Most of this experience comes from other sites))

You have no idea how freaking triggered I am over the exclusion of x character as a playable character in this non-profit fan game. It's absolutely insulting! The devs are horrible people; the only person worse is Brutal Doom's creator! The devs owe me!
/s Come on man. You're 25 years old and unironically arguing with kids over why you think Pac Man should be playable in a fan game.
Still my opinion stands on it getting too much publicity than it deserves... I REALLY wish people would stop overpraising it like several other things I know of that should not be treated like a holy grail.
And you now, once again unironically, are stating that the smashbros community needs to stop showing their support to a game on the basis that its gameplay is ambiguously not enjoyable to you. I think you would have a much more enjoyable time on this site if you read your messages aloud before posting them, just to hear what you sound like.

Anyways, I hope sandsoccerbagball is playable online because that would be pretty fun to play and looks like a pretty chill game mode. Also I hadn't heard about Bowser's official announcement until now. He looks well done and would probably be fun to watch in the competitive scene.

Last edited:
You have no idea how freaking triggered I am over the exclusion of x character as a playable character in this non-profit fan game. It's absolutely insulting! The devs are horrible people; the only person worse is Brutal Doom's creator! The devs owe me!
/s Come on man. You're 25 years old and unironically arguing with kids over why you think Pac Man should be playable in a fan game.

Anyways, I hope sandsoccerbagball is playable online because that would be pretty fun to play and looks like a pretty chill game mode. Also I hadn't heard about Bowser's official announcement until now. He looks well done and would probably be fun to watch in the competitive scene.
Did you not even read my previous post? I'm not trying to argue but I am stating why I find it just facepalm-worthy to me. And no, That's not WHY I don't like the game. Look above: Gameplay. There, okay?

Also "triggered"? You should realize I am nowhere near one of those SJW idiots you can find across the web these days.

((NO MORE DRAMA PLEA-
And you now, once again unironically, are stating that the smashbros community needs to stop showing their support to a game on the basis that its gameplay is ambiguously not enjoyable to you. I think you would have a much more enjoyable time on this site if you read your messages allowed before posting them, just to hear what you sound like.
God dammit.

First off, that wasn't directed at the Smashboards community or those who support the game. But at the idiots who I tend to see saying "SSF2 has already outdone Smash 4, Screw you Sakurai." and "SSF2 is the REAL smash 4"... Do you even see what I mean?

Knock it off.

*sigh* I love how nobody here can't take opinions or read what you type the way you intended.

Last edited:
That's not WHY I don't like the game. Look above: Gameplay. There, okay?
Prior to my edited post, I made no claim about you not liking the game. You made the claim and the rebuttal. GG.
Did you not even read my previous post? I'm not trying to argue but I am stating why I find it just facepalm-worthy to me.
Yeah you're trying to argue. There's no down-playing that.
Also "triggered"? You should realize I am nowhere near one of those SJW idiots you can find across the web these days.
>knock it off
>knock it off
What else but rofl.

Last edited:
Wow, you sure are... Passionate about Pacman. Just keep in mind, there are plenty of people who feel just as attached to those characters who you deemed "Generic". Nobody 'deserves' to get into these games, everything is fair game because every character has a devoted fanbase that would vouch for their inclusion.

Plus, I find it kinda funny that you complain about who goes into roster that houses such Nintendo allstars as Goku and Ichigo, lol.

^^
Going along with what you said, character inclusion is more or less arbitrary for the devs. Of course as SSF2 has gained popularity, there have become popular character requests, like Isaac. Mcleod has been pretty good about this, and we've seen plenty of new and returning fan favorites. Character inclusion is still his decision though. He's giving the game away for free and owes nothing to the community. Perhaps if you donate large quantities of currency to Mr. Mcleod your opinion will hold a bit more weight ;)

Mario123311 Mario123311 you have one thing going for you: you're climbing up the list, the ignored list

Last edited:
Mario123311 Mario123311 Generic swordsman my ass. Lloyd has one of the best movesets of any smash game imho. And I have no idea who the hell he is but I'm fine with him being in the game because it's someone else's game. You can pester Nintendo all you like about Isaac because you're paying for the damn thing, and it's on a next-gen console. This here is a game that you can feel free to ignore. If you don't like certain characters, make your own flash game without them.

Super Smash Flash 2 is sometimes overlooked when it comes to the fanmade Smash games.
Uh...literally the two most notable Smash fan-games are SSF2 and Crusade. There was also that GB Smash demake fan-game but that didn't get as much attention.

I find this particular sentence odd for that reason.

Uh...literally the two most notable Smash fan-games are SSF2 and Crusade. There was also that GB Smash demake fan-game but that didn't get as much attention.

I find this particular sentence odd for that reason.
I wouldn't consider it overlooked as much as I would frowned upon. The game is "notorious", for lack of a better word, because of its questionable roster. Not only that but the forums are some of the worst out there. Stuff like that probably doesn't help its case.

I'm surprised it still has a community when it's taken forever for it to be finished. We get 2 Smash games in its life span and it's still not even in beta lol.

I've been playing this game pretty much non-stop since I couldn't play Sm4sh. I'm greatly enjoying it.

I see a really bright future for this game.

Hopefully sonic is getting some improvements... Speaking of sonic, i really hope sonic and tails get new sprite work, advance is way overused imo.
Also, i would love to see ganon in this game with a new moveset, it be pretty cool.

Can we just make a Super Smash Flash 2 sub forum already? I mean PM already has one and a lot of people see a bright future in this game so what are we waiting for?
I completely agree. Much like Project M, it managed to truly stand out amongst fan-made Smash games and it's basically a crime to NOT give it the importance it deserves.

#SmashFlash2SubForumWhen?

Understood. Still my opinion stands on it getting too much publicity than it deserves... And one more time: I didn't find the gameplay that enjoyable, and I think even Crusade did it better IMO.

I REALLY wish people would stop overpraising it like several other things I know of that should not be treated like a holy grail... I won't say what those are though. ((Most of this experience comes from other sites))
Like Fire Emblem Awakening?

As for SSF2, I think it's a decent game, though the game engine does seem kinda wonky to me.

lets be honest the majority of the people who play super smash flash plays it at school or they can't afford smash 4 or melee

lets be honest the majority of the people who play super smash flash plays it at school or they can't afford smash 4 or melee
Or, you know, people that just like's the Smash series as a whole, including well done fan games with a lot of effort put into them. Like SSF1 and 2 was to me over the years, I had Melee and Brawl at the time of this game's development.

Seeing Isaac, Chibi-Robo and Bomberman in SSF2 is a wonderful thing for me, as they are 3 of the 6 characters I really want to see in Smash 4 as DLC. If they don't end up make the cut in the real game, I can at least enjoy them in this promising game.

Thank you, McLeodGaming, and keep up your amazing work.

My first and last problem with SSF2, its Flash. If they could of picked anything but Flash as a base platform.
It started development in 2007 as a one-man project by someone who wasn't even in college yet; Cleod didn't have that many options.

To reprogram it from scratch to fit another format NOW would be a total nightmare.

Mario123311 Mario123311 : I personally believe the plausible leak that emerged, and that the assist trophy will be changed to Ms. Pac-Man to accommodate.
It's clear that they're making changes to fit Smash 4 since it hasn't been updated since its release; just look at Mega Man.

Last edited:

I don't think SSF2 is as good as the real smash games, i like 64, melee, brawl, and sm4sh much more than SSF2. But SSF2 is still pretty good imo, the physics are decent for a fangame, and they are getting better and better, if you look at, v0.3 and compare it to v0.9b, you see just how much it has improved over the years. It is still improving too, all the sprites are gonna be custom eventually, this version is bringing 4 new characters, and im sure they are making the physics more smooth and closer to the physics of real smash games. It's fine if you don't like SSF2, but i'm just sharing my opinion that I don't think SSF2 is so bad, and it will get better as time goes on, and they also do a great job making the movesets for characters.

Also, I beg to differ on the "watered-down Brawl" comment; while it's clear that it's still in complete, it DOES go out of its way to be fast-paced and aggressive like Melee and PM.
Really, the only Brawl it has in it is the air dodge, which the devs kept as a design choice; they do enjoy competitive Melee, but they feel that wavedashing and L-canceling make it less Smash and more Street Fighter.

I honestly don't mind how they handled Pac-Man is SSF2. In fact, I love it! Feels like 1980 all over again and I love nostalgia trips....even though I was born 17 years later :lol:

However, I agree with you; he's more than a pizza-shaped mouth that munches ghosts, but it's still nice of them to have brought this gaming legend in the same way that made him such a legend; as an arcade game.

Last edited:
It's nice some people actually understand me now, but I'm still baffled that everybody else can't take an opinion apparently, especially when the most important aspect, the gameplay was what I disliked the most rather than the character selection. *sigh* Lovely...

I am not disowning the devs and I appreciate what they do, but for people out there to go and say "lol SSF2 is better than the real thing, **** your game" and so on. ((There are actually people who say this)) It's only driven me even more away from it.

And again, If you like it: fine. Don't go out of your way to call it superior over any of the official games and that people HAVE to play it though. And on a side note, this fangame will not do anything to add Goku to SSB4, stop asking.

Well, people can like it more than the smash games, in a lot of ways its faster than brawl. They shouldn't force it out on other people, but thinking its superior isn't bad at all. There is also the fact that some people can't afford a nintendo console, so SSF2 is a great alternative.

I actually prefer SSF2's gameplay than Brawl's.

It's faster, not everyone feels floaty, no tripping and the landing lag is so low that it could basically be consider as an Auto L-Cancel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom