• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2 At Super Smash Con!

gyasim

Smash Cadet
NNID
gyasim
you literally can shield grab ichigo's sideb...

no johns git good etc
Or counter it
Or read where it lands
Or hit him before he starts moving
Or hit him after he's moved
Or spot dodge it and punish
Or perfect shield it.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Are you serious? The best anime character is considered to be Naruto and the worst one is Ichigo.
If you can't deal with a move with low priority that puts the user into helpless state in the air you're bad.

Goku, Naruto and Ichigo have easily gimped vertical recoveries. And Ichigo shouldn't be able to KO you with his slow smash attacks. If you get close to Naruto and dodge his setups and tech his down throw and then gimp his up b you will win easily. And just run away from Goku during his down b... he will damage himself and can't get close.
The three of them have projectiles. But let me get into detail for Naruto who is obviously the most broken one of the three. His up-b sets up a ground trap, he has a quick moving projectile in his kunai and a slow one in his rasen-shuriken. his dash attack goes low to the ground so he can avoid some projectiles and leave an active hitbox out. He can get good gimps off of his bread and butter moves and even in some cases kill easily depending on the stage choice because when he carries you, he will end with an up-b to section off where you get to stay. He is literally too strong of a zoner and his close combat game should get nerfed if he is going to be like that since he combos way too good even without the projectile use, which last i remember he had three since he throws a clone too. Goku is pretty obvious, kaoi-ken does not punish the user enough for using it on an enemy at low percents, so you basically get a free power-up without having to worry about the hp drain because goku can combo you easily in the air with the bread and butter. His projectiles move slow and you can follow them somewhat and they cover good area for approach. the problem with goku compared to ichigo is that his recovery is pretty bad and the only thing to him is his aerial god like game where he just floats and bombards you with qi blasts and kaoi-ken which doesn't really have much of a risk to it but the percent buildup is notable. Ichigo only has one projectile but it has a good htibox that can cover in a short hop ground and full hop approaches. You can't camp him because he can just get free combos off spamming side-b which is also just really hard to punish. Even if he has slow smash attacks that is never an issue when he can both force approaches and approach you, and his tilts already kill at reasonable percents. His range is also very superior to goku and he can juggle really well so trying to come in with a shield is hard as hell. Ichigo literally plays like an ike marth mix who also happens to have a projectile and just answers things well. Goku's approaches aren't strong just because his range is mediocre and he is easier to punish for whiffing an attack on shield due to less shield stun, where ichigo can space his moves more reliably and due to the disjoint not get hurt either. Goku only just happens to have a better air combo game and earlier kills but really that is it, he isn't that safe. Just how I feel but those characters compared to the rest of the cast not counting Marth and maybe meta knight in smash flash 2 are gods.

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
Can we just get back on topic and quit ******** about anime characters? Jesus, if you don't like it complain on the Mcleodgaming forums. not Smashboards. I believe they have a thread for suggestions. ***** there.

gyasim

Smash Cadet
NNID
gyasim
Marth, Meta Knight, ZSS and Pikachu are all better than the anime characters. You just hate them because you wanted different characters. Stop whining and git gud. I gave you reasons and options as to why the anime characters are not broken and you just denied them.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
If you think Kaioken is broken you should stop playing against CPU characters. Most Goku players don't even use it unless they know they're already going to be KO'd by one hit because it literally is a death sentence whether you get the combo you were looking for or if you get comboed. Or, worst case scenario, top SSF2 players will just play duck-duck-goose with you until you've taken 20% for no reason and transform back.

EDIT: Also, Kunai are only on a throw... What game are you playing? Super Theory Flash 2?

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
it may be king k rool. Marth was seen figthing bowser on a ship with bannanas... just a thought

manrangan

Smash Cadet
NNID
manrangan
3DS FC
1289-8629-2870
Switch FC
SW-8204-8475-7607
I don't understand, sorry.
The game works like most 2D games from the olden days, it's built around the concept of the "D-Pad", Digital Pad for more fancy talk. Digital is button, analog is varying sensitivity on more than 8 directions, so if you push forward an analog stick just a tiny little bit, it will make a character walk in most games. In 2D games, if you press the D-Pad it'll make the character go at a predetermined speed. This is the case with SSF2, it's built around the "D-Pad". This is why you have to tap twice to dash, because you can't just flick the analog stick fast like you would in other Smash games. This makes it extremely, extremely hard to do tilts, especially since you can't map the C-Stick to tilts.To do a tilt in SSF2, you have to push the D-Pad/Analog Stick, wait a second then press the attack button. That's very tedious to do, especially during a fast paced match. XPadder, the program that lets you use a controller doesn't change these mechanics at all, it just maps the analog stick and buttons to keyboard keys/ the "D-Pad". I suspect the game is like this because it's made in Adobe Flash so I don't think there's any way to work around it unless there's C-Stick mapping or the game gets ported to a different platform.

This is my beef with SSF2, Smash Bros was made to take advantage of the N64 when it came out, and this includes the analog stick. By making it digital, you're taking out one of the core aspects of Smash.

gyasim

Smash Cadet
NNID
gyasim
The game works like most 2D games from the olden days, it's built around the concept of the "D-Pad", Digital Pad for more fancy talk. Digital is button, analog is varying sensitivity on more than 8 directions, so if you push forward an analog stick just a tiny little bit, it will make a character walk in most games. In 2D games, if you press the D-Pad it'll make the character go at a predetermined speed. This is the case with SSF2, it's built around the "D-Pad". This is why you have to tap twice to dash, because you can't just flick the analog stick fast like you would in other Smash games. This makes it extremely, extremely hard to do tilts, especially since you can't map the C-Stick to tilts.To do a tilt in SSF2, you have to push the D-Pad/Analog Stick, wait a second then press the attack button. That's very tedious to do, especially during a fast paced match. XPadder, the program that lets you use a controller doesn't change these mechanics at all, it just maps the analog stick and buttons to keyboard keys/ the "D-Pad". I suspect the game is like this because it's made in Adobe Flash so I don't think there's any way to work around it unless there's C-Stick mapping or the game gets ported to a different platform.

This is my beef with SSF2, Smash Bros was made to take advantage of the N64 when it came out, and this includes the analog stick. By making it digital, you're taking out one of the core aspects of Smash.
I will put your disdain of the controls on the MGN forums so maybe the developers will change this. I've heard the complaint of clunky controls many times but no one has explained it like this. Maybe it can be fixed.

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
Gary Stews, Gary Stews, can't get enough of Gary Stews...

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
I will put your disdain of the controls on the MGN forums so maybe the developers will change this. I've heard the complaint of clunky controls many times but no one has explained it like this. Maybe it can be fixed.
You really do not understand. Flash DOES NOT SUPPORT CONTROLLERS, therefore all controls are DIGITAL. You can't do the omnidirectional Fire Fox like you can with Melee; you can only go in 8 directions. Even if you were to set up a controller for SSF2, that doesn't mean you can move around like in Melee in SSF2. You still have to double tap down to drop from platforms (which means you can't shield drop), you can't press the analog stick slightly up to do an up-tilt and not jump, and even the theoretical wavedash would be awkward because you can't angle it at all. Having a controller will NOT fix the way Flash is programmed. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's simply a limitation of using Flash.

Edit: Don't even tell me about Xpadder, J2K, etc. That's not the damn point. Putting your controller on a keyboard still means the game is digital and not analog, which is what the person you're talking to is complaining about.

Last edited:

RadicalMongoose

Smash Apprentice
You really do not understand. Flash DOES NOT SUPPORT CONTROLLERS, therefore all controls are DIGITAL. You can't do the omnidirectional Fire Fox like you can with Melee; you can only go in 8 directions. Even if you were to set up a controller for SSF2, that doesn't mean you can move around like in Melee in SSF2. You still have to double tap down to drop from platforms (which means you can't shield drop), you can't press the analog stick slightly up to do an up-tilt and not jump, and even the theoretical wavedash would be awkward because you can't angle it at all. Having a controller will NOT fix the way Flash is programmed. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's simply a limitation of using Flash.

Edit: Don't even tell me about Xpadder, J2K, etc. That's not the damn point. Putting your controller on a keyboard still means the game is digital and not analog, which is what the person you're talking to is complaining about.
The game still plays fine, people just need to find different strategy's other than what they would traditionally use.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
This would probably be difficult to do, but I believe that taking the Flash out of SSF2 could really help it. As a flash game, it was never intended to be taken this seriously, but now it would be much better off if it were a stand alone executable like Rivals of Aether. With Flash there are many quirks such as game speed being tied to FPS, or the game's window title being Adobe Flash Player. Plus who knows, it could even directly support analog controllers in the future. Joy2Key-type programs will always convert GCC inputs to digital, so the only way to go analog is direct controller support.

Various converters like MayFlash's latest WiiU adaptor still do analog, so it would probably be easier to take that type of input than to do what Dolphin did with directly supporting input in the WiiU's official adaptor. But that's just my $0.02.

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo

The reason we have settings in controls like "double tap dash" and "press to walk". This can all be simulated with a simple script. Our site is down right now, but there is a guide to set up your controller settings in XPadder the same way we run our scripts at APEX. This won't fix things like more-than-eight-directional firefox, but some simple strategy change will work around that while this takes care of the rest.

This would probably be difficult to do, but I believe that taking the Flash out of SSF2 could really help it. As a flash game, it was never intended to be taken this seriously, but now it would be much better off if it were a stand alone executable like Rivals of Aether. With Flash there are many quirks such as game speed being tied to FPS, or the game's window title being Adobe Flash Player. Plus who knows, it could even directly support analog controllers in the future. Joy2Key-type programs will always convert GCC inputs to digital, so the only way to go analog is direct controller support.
The whole fundamental idea behind SSF2 is to make people stop saying this, I hope you know. And also, the reason the game is packaged the way it is is because it is not finished yet.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
The whole fundamental idea behind SSF2 is to make people stop saying this, I hope you know. And also, the reason the game is packaged the way it is is because it is not finished yet.
Well I know now; my b. I'll just wait and see what the 1.0 is like.

manrangan

Smash Cadet
NNID
manrangan
3DS FC
1289-8629-2870
Switch FC
SW-8204-8475-7607
The reason we have settings in controls like "double tap dash" and "press to walk". This can all be simulated with a simple script. Our site is down right now, but there is a guide to set up your controller settings in XPadder the same way we run our scripts at APEX. This won't fix things like more-than-eight-directional firefox, but some simple strategy change will work around that while this takes care of the rest.

I really like your game, just not competitively. Keep up the good work though, friend! Can't wait for Game & Watch. B)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Raheem the Dream'll be here eventually
Just you wait

Top Bottom