• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2: A History And Primer

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Super Smash Flash 2 is sometimes overlooked when it comes to the fanmade Smash games. Many do not realize it has a vibrant competitive scene with its own top players, notable tournament organizers, and intricate development history. Each Wednesday over the month of September will feature an article covering a unique aspect of the game or scene. This first week we discuss a bit about the history of the game and provide a primer on it for those unfamiliar on it with the help of SSF2 developer TSON.

It all began with the original Super Smash Flash. The game began development some time in 2006 and was released on August 21, 2006. It featured several smash character classics alongside some anime characters, unique Sonic fanmade characters, and even Mr. Incredible. The ease of being able to go to a website and load up a fully functioning Smash game did not go unnoticed and it was played a ton out of school computer labs and in countries where Nintendo consoles were not as affordable or easy to get. It was given a special feature by Newgrounds, made "Flash Portal History" for 2006, and won other minor awards.

This was the first game in Flash that Cleod9 had ever made. Not only was he young during the time of its creation but he coded the game by himself. By the time he had finished years later he had many ideas on how to improve the game but did not want to go back and simply redo what he had already created. Instead he looked forward and decided to use his ideas on a sequel: Super Smash Flash 2 was born.

This time instead of just releasing a final fully formed game they would release updates along the way to allow experiments with the game engine, character designs, and balancing choices. This also allowed getting feedback along the way which was something not possible with the original SSF.

Super Smash Flash 2 has so far been a wild success with millions of players, Online Play, and feedback from many top players from the likes of Mew2King, dmbrandon, Vex Kasrani, TKBreezy and more. It has gone beyond a little Flash game and developed its own competitive following and tournaments. Along the way however it never lost how easy it was to play. Pulling up a browser in a library, computer lab, home PC, or even a windows tablet has players minutes away from their favorite game.

SSF2 Combo Video Flashback Pt. 3

However while trying to show the game for how legitimate it is they still face issues. "The real struggle is to get people past the whole "this is a Flash game" thing." said TSON, a developer for Super Smash Flash 2. "A Flash game is automatically thought of to be a poor-man's game with very little room for the content, depth, and interactivity of a console game."

So why not move to another platform? Flash can make time-wasters and hilarious animations like Brawl Taunts, but it can also make a game like Super Smash Flash 2 in the right hands." said TSON. "No other language allows us to optimize our working environment the way we have with Flash. We COULD make a "Super Smash C++", but that name sucks. It also wouldn't be played by nearly as many people, and it wouldn't invade the internet the way our games have so far. Flash is a special thing for us and we aim to be a team that shows you what it's REALLY capable of."

Ichigo Smacks Around Goku From Beware The Reaper Combo Video

Super Smash Flash 2 also has had its fair share of controversy over certain characters from Anime being included in the game. While there were originally seven anime characters planned to be in the roster only Goku, Naruto, Ichigo have made it into the game. Sasuke Uchiha, Vegeta, and Renji Abarai were all confirmed to have at one time been planned for the game, with the prior two being background characters on stages and the later becoming an assist trophy. Most infamously Rock Lee was cut from the roster after a large anti-Rock Lee campaign orchestrated on the McLeodGaming Forums.

These inclusions have not been something approved of by all fans but they remain in the game for good reasons. "Around the release of the v0.7 demo, Super Smash Flash 2 had a team of developers that established the need for regulation of content to prevent recreation of SSF's 'infamous' roster. Ichigo, Goku, and Naruto debuted before that, so unfortunately we can't rule them out."

So what rules cover who can appear in the game? "The rule that we limit our roster to is called the "Rule of Appearance" - that is, a character must have starred in a game on a Nintendo console in order to be featured. It doesn't matter where a character has originated, if a character has made an impact on a Nintendo console, we can include them. This means that we are not at all just throwing in Sonic OCs - the entire roster is carefully planned already, as is the order we announce these characters in. We are taking this very seriously but we have no plans to go back and remove content that is already finished."

The development of these Shonen characters has been taken even more seriously to make sure the experience of playing with them is a good one. "All three are balanced carefully, their sprites are not direct rips from a game anymore, and their movesets are planned carefully to bring very different things to the table. These characters are designed to feel good in a Smash environment and thus far it seems that once you get past the initial 'Ugh, is this Goku?' feeling players have a set of characters that have extreme amounts of depth. Look at Goku's down special for example. It literally is the Zelda-Sheik transformation except you can combo out of it. What other character in Smash can do that?"

A Screenshot from XPadder
Another thing commonly mentioned is the lack of controller support. Some don't know that it is actually quite possible to play the game with any controller of choice. "While Flash limitations have given us official gamepad support in a very poor state and it'll likely impossible to implement at the moment, tourney-goers might have noticed that we are still somehow running a bring-your-own-controller setup at Smashcon/Apex. This is done through a program called XPadder. It all works with a little trickery and it feels almost magic. No double-tapping to dash" TSON explained. There is even a full tutorial on how this done that can be found here.

Hopefully this has readers seeing Super Smash Flash 2 in a new light. With this new understanding on the game's history, development, and more maybe this has inspired some to check out the game. To discuss more be sure to check out the game's discussion thread on Smashboards or consider learning more about its tournament scene. Be sure to come back next week Wednesday to learn more about the game. Until then, we'll let the game speak for itself:

SmashCapps is a huge fan of Super Smash Flash 2 (Black Mage for life!) and is incredibly excited for this series. Be sure to follow him on Twitter to discuss Super Smash Flash 2 and all things Smash.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
And just like every other article here about SSF2, I bet 90% of the people who click on this article are not even going to read it and are just going to say something to the effect of "It's that thing with Goku in it. Ignore, go to hell Weeaboo McLeod." And it's a damn shame that so many people are dismissing this game automatically because of those three characters.

Luig

Confused
And just like every other article here about SSF2, I bet 90% of the people who click on this article are not even going to read it and are just going to say something to the effect of "It's that thing with Goku in it. Ignore, go to hell Weeaboo McLeod." And it's a damn shame that so many people are dismissing this game automatically because of those three characters.
Sonic was in an anime! Does that mean we should bash it for that too?

Why can't they just let the game have the characters the devs put in it. What is the problem that people have with those 3 anyway?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Sonic was in an anime! Does that mean we should bash it for that too?

Why can't they just let the game have the characters the devs put in it. What is the problem that people have with those 3 anyway?
It's more the problem people have with the literal children demanding they be put in the official games, along with being utterly obsessed with anime and other ways obnoxiously and annoyingly.

It's unfortunate, but a hatred for a fanbase can and nearly always does turn into a burning vendetta against the media itself and anything associated with it. It's not enough to just pretend they're not there for a lot of people; they can't allow the fanbases they hate to be satisfied.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
lol i cant believe my eyes is mr.incredible actually a character.
Only in the first one, which wasn't meant to be anything serious. He was announced early on to not be coming anywhere near the sequel.

Trust me, EVERYONE thinks he was ridiculous there. He's a running joke in the SSF2 fandom.

TitanMG

Smash Rookie
I'm glad this article was made. Hopefully everyone gives SSF2 a second glance before judging it harshly.

Speed Stick 2400

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpeedStick2400
3DS FC
4699-7838-3944
I haven't played Smash Flash 2 in a while, but this article instantly gave me fond memories of the first. It also makes me want to play Smash Flash 2 again.

Super Smash Flash 2 is sometimes overlooked when it comes to the fanmade Smash games.
Really? I always thought Super Smash Flash 2 was really popular.

Super Smash Flash 2 also has had its fair share of controversy over certain characters from Anime being included in the game.
Oh.
After several experiences (The "Shantae" in Smash Article, Snake when he was confirmed for Brawl..) I believe that the Smash Community (not all of it, though) will never be open to new possibilities. They sort of have an angst.
Now that I've conveyed that, let me just say that this is a Fan-made Smash game, giving more reign than your average Super Smash Brothers game. With the freedom to add characters to Anime, why not? As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be mad if another Anime character was added to Smash Flash 2. Sure, it's really odd for an Animated character like Ciel or Shrek to fight alongside Super Mario and the Animal Crossing Villager, but that doesn't mean that they can't be fun characters. Don't judge a book by it's Cover. You already did with Wii Fit Trainer, Snake, Shulk and some others.

Another thing commonly mentioned is the lack of controller support. Some don't know that it is actually quite possible to play the game with any controller of choice. "While Flash limitations have given us official gamepad support in a very poor state and it'll likely impossible to implement at the moment, tourney-goers might have noticed that we are still somehow running a bring-your-own-controller setup at Smashcon/Apex. This is done through a program called XPadder. It all works with a little trickery and it feels almost magic. No double-tapping to dash" TSON explained. There is even a full tutorial on how this done that can be found here.
I should use XPadder someday. Fighting Games are much more fun when Gamepads are used. I'm just not good with playing any games with a keyboard, let alone fighters. It's a real pain to remember which key is which.

Thanks for the insight, SmashCapps.

smashboy12

Smash Cadet
One thing they did, which I applaud them, is including an ability to turn of stage hazards. I wish Smash 4 had this.

ProjectTwin

Smash Apprentice
I'd be more interested if Rayman was in the game :(

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
One thing they did, which I applaud them, is including an ability to turn of stage hazards. I wish Smash 4 had this.
Yeah, it seems like such a common sense thing.

Take Tower of Salvation;
  • Hazards turned on, it has one of the most damaging and disruptive hazards in the game. Perfect for chaotic party play.
  • Hazards turned off, it's very simple and a fan-favorite neutral stage.

Last edited:

[OCK]LLama

Smash Cadet
Yeah, it seems like such a common sense thing.

Take Tower of Salvation;
  • Hazards turned on, it has one of the most damaging and disruptive hazards in the game. Perfect for chaotic party play.
  • Hazards turned off, it's very simple and a fan-favorite neutral stage.
I agree, hazard switch helps so much

Last edited:

Loup

The Wolf
NNID
Frishy
3DS FC
0877-0305-4883
Once i bother to read that xPadder tutorial, i'll try it out again.

I enjoyed the characters, regardless of the source material, and liked the overall feel and balance of the game, unlike bloody Crusade, but i hate the feel of playing with keyboard.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Great article! I've been interested in learning more about the Smash spin-off games for awhile now.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
thanks for the spotlight, Capps. I'm glad you believe in this game as much as I do :)

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I didn't like this when I originally tried that, but a large part of it was simply that I couldn't get it controlling in a way I'd like. I'll have to see how much better it feels with Xpadder set up.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
My first experience with Smash Brothers is with Flash 2. It was around its 0.3 version and I thought it was one of the coolest things ever. I could have Mario fight off against Sonic, Kirby, that one dude from Bleach and this spiky-haired dude with two swords. It was a fun ride from the earliest demos of Flash 2 to now. They added more characters (some of which will probably never see in Smash Brothers), more stages, more modes, original music, an intro, an announcer, cleaner and better sprites, AN OPTION TO TURN OFF STAGE HAZARDS (please be in future updates of Smash 4), smoother and faster gameplay, and a lot more. It brings a tear to my eye seeing how much this game has evolved. It not only entertains me as a casual Smash player but also as a competitive Smash player as well. For anyone who hasn't played this fan-game, I highly suggest you do so. I just hope you can get used to keyboard controls...

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
At least this game won't have those ****ty fan characters again. I remember a long time ago when SSF2 had the idea where you could make "expansion characters". I love the quality control they've adopted since then. The Shonen Trio doesn't bother me too much though.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
really? you can just switch off stage hazards?

I wouldn't mind trying this, actually... but the problem I'm facing is lacking a computer capable of handling it... the desktop my folks use is ancient. there's also my personal nitpicks about the concept of sprite work, and how the camera flow could use smoothing out... from what few videos I've seen. but again, those are just nitpicks.

worth pointing out, though, TECHNICALLY Smash 4 has a means of getting rid of stage hazards, but the method in doing it is not something anyone bothers with... which I find disappointing.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Goku, Naruto and Ichigo bothered me a lot the first time playing it, but later on they actually made them really unique so it changed my mind. So I'd suggest if anyone's going to dismiss the game based on these 3 characters, at least give them a try before making a final judgement.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand people complaining about Anime/4th Party characters in a FAN-MADE game. Its not Nintendo making the game so why should it really matter if it has those characters?

FTW

Smash Rookie
I really enjoy the game but I feel that the online servers need some more work. Every time I join or create a match, it either lags or doesn't start at all.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I cannot play a smash bros game with so much third party characters. Goku really doesn't fit in smash. Its cool and all but anime characters is not what smash bros is about

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
I cannot play a smash bros game with so much third party characters. Goku really doesn't fit in smash. Its cool and all but anime characters is not what smash bros is about
read the article next time

thanks

Astellius

Smash Ace
Kudos for this article! I remember playing this game a lot for awhile a couple years back, and yes, it's much better if you get a controller (I have one that I just plug into a USB drive). The game is really high quality for a flash game, and it's both fun in its own right and as a surrogate for when you don't have any consoles, just a computer.

P.S. Black mage was my favorite character.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Hmm,I see many characters in smash bros that have anime inspired designs( pit,Lucina,marth,ike,palutena,link,megaman,ryu)

And I also see characters who use attacks that you see in anime too( lucario,ryu,megaman,etc)

What's the problem here? especially for a game like super smash flash that was fan made and not directed by sakurai?

Giampstoise

Smash Cadet
NNID
M.H.S.X
3DS FC
2621-2992-5656
People are complaining about "animu" characters.... remember that brawl had solid snake... metal gear solid is a SONY exclusive which only had ONE crappy game on a Nintendo console. But i do think they're out of place. Oh well, it's nice to see that Smashboards focuses on little things. Now i really want to see these tournaments. But the game looks kinda laggy...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Actually, weren't Jump Super Star-games for DS published by Nintendo?

And not only, but just taking mere 3 of the most popular/mascot-status chars from that game (And SJ as a whole), the way anime-chars were added to this feels almost sensible enough to work for this game.

Top Bottom