• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros will it go portable ?

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
I got this info from Ign.com. Anyway use this to talk about what you think of this coming to 3DS or if its just better off where its at.

Super Smash Bros.
Will it finally go portable?

It's been over 10 years since Nintendo's off-the-wall mascot brawler series first appeared on the N64, and you'd think that the game's legacy, by now, would have included a portable installment. Not so much. Though Super Smash Bros. has continued with two console sequels, we've still never had the chance to pit Mario against Kirby, Link against Samus or Donkey Kong against Fox McCloud on a handheld.

The 3DS could be the perfect place to right that wrong. The Super Smash Bros. series' signature floating, self-contained battlefields could be beautifully rendered and appear to be floating up off the screen thanks to the system's stereoscopic display, and when characters get smashed out of the arena they could fly either at the player's face or far off into the distance.

A 3DS edition of Super Smash Bros. would almost certainly be a new sequel rather than a direct remake of the N64 original. At the same time, though, the original's no-frills focus on just the fighting could be a refreshing change of pace. Just tight, addictive fighting and support for multiplayer battling with other 3DS owners through local wireless and Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

Olikus

Smash Champion
SSB is like the ultimate 2D game, so its hard to think of it in 3D. Even if its only a bit in 3D as you suggest. When it comes to handhold, it could work, but again it would have felt as another game than the original, just like any other console to handhold remakes.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Well to be technical it already has gone portable unofficially speaking. If it's not a re-make it opens up the possibilities to make the game more like the financially successful Brawl so who knows how they'll change the game play.

It could encourage people to check out project64k and bring in some new recruits though so that's one positive aspect.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
not gonna happen IMO.
if they wanted to it wouldbe been on the ds, they obviously got some pretty **** good reason that they didnt make as much money out of the franchise as they could

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
The only reason I can think of for not developing a handheld SSB game would be because of the control limitations.

The 3DS will be the first Nintendo handheld since Smash was initially released to have a joystick knob thingo. We all know how hard it is to play on a keyboard, what with buffering attacks and all, so what SSB really needs to function as it was designed is a joystick, not a D-pad, which the 3DS can provide.

Granted, I don't know how the 3DS's joyknob works, or if it even is range-sensitive, so all that I said could be completely wrong...

The graphics on the DS are fine for SSB, so visual appeal was never a restricting factor.

---

Or, Nintendo has some sort of hidden agenda that does not involve handheld SSB games, like mentioned above!

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure nobody wants hold this big thing in there hands [This one has link compatibility so you can play another person]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uERWHvQ5Ons&feature=related

The sexiest design I've seen so far, but controls are "meh...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeY79lm6tl4&NR=1

Don't like where the B button is placed should of been on the left side next to A. Kinda of a thick design
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWuQ6gQvtt8&feature=related

This emulator will be the **** on a CFW'd PSP. The emulator is still a W.I.P so its still slow but almost fullspeed and this is not the latest version of the emulator so it improved a lot more. I heard it has plans for netplay and a ad-hoc . Most portable out of all of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZJ8UKQNaY0&feature=related

If Nintendo ever puts SSB64 on handheld it will be YEARS from now, but a new smash bros might come out for the 3ds though

Battlecow

Play to Win
If they did make a straight-up 64 remake (wishful thinking, I know) for the 3ds, it would help our numbers in a serious way.

SmashFinale

Smash Rookie
Super Smash Bros. Clash for 3DS
...At least that would probably be the name for it....
plus they released the game on the Virtual Console so that would lessen the chance for a remake of the original

Dsc

Smash Ace
Sad, i always dreamed of playing smash 64 on a mobile phone! such good controller and huge screen xP
The controller is just a touch pad with a DPAD and A,B, start buttons. Exactly like the first gameboy. And the "controller" is on the screen, making the screen of gameplay even smaller :b
I just wanted to see what it was like..

And @smashfinale

Where did you get the info from that itll be called ssb clash? Coz ive been lookin around, and it seems like a silly fan made flashy game which came out in 2008.
In fact, it IS a silly fan made game.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Nah, he meant that it would probably be the name because "Melee" and Brawl" follow a certain pattern, and since "Fight" sounds stupid, and "Rumble" would probably be copyright infringement, "Clash" is his best guess.

I disagree, but he wasn't talking about super smash flash. That's a whole 'nother (stupid) story.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Honestly?

i don't like the idea.

Smash 64 should just stay Smash 64, no sequels, rehashs, etc.
it's like remaking super mario bros. in HD; what's the point?

I'm not even sure if i want another smash game...
they would probably mess it up,and still not include megaman.:mad:

Battlecow

Play to Win
I just want it so that peeps will play the original more.

Also, a handheld smash wouldn't work, because it's SO multiplayer-driven. Single-player is no fun in any game. You could make it work, but it's less convenient than console smash, and convenience is the whole point of handheld systems.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I just want it so that peeps will play the original more.

Also, a handheld smash wouldn't work, because it's SO multiplayer-driven. Single-player is no fun in any game. You could make it work, but it's less convenient than console smash, and convenience is the whole point of handheld systems.
You are charging your n64 in your bag all the day to find someone to play in the middle of the street ??? I dont beleive so. A Handled smash would be epic. Online + Wirelees Multiplayer = Win

Battlecow

Play to Win
Oh, right, you'll walk down the street and randomly ask people for wireless matches.

That's TOTALLY how it works.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
hey man, according to ds ads, you're playing your ds in a cafe and several other ds players come around you from nowhere to BATTLE POKEMON and stuff

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I just saw this thread after reloading the main page of SWF, so I decided to reply to a couple things.

If Nintendo ever puts SSB64 on handheld it will be YEARS from now, but a new smash bros might come out for the 3ds though
Considering the fact that they're remaking Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 for 3DS, I would be massively surprised if they didn't do the same thing for SSB64.

Yeah, it was like SSB Flash or what have you and it sucked big time.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/333995
Ugh, don't remind me of that horrible first Smash Flash game.

The second one is decent, but to be honest, I prefer Crusade.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152960

asianaussie

Smash Hero
nobody would rage at sequels o.o

people would only rage if it was announced as a faithful remake and suddenly used brawl's engine or something

Battlecow

Play to Win
lol a 3DS sequel to ssb64? I can see the 64 community raging at any changes now. :laugh:
Why you always gotta be so mean to us rawr? You're hurting my feelings.

I guess we'll just see what happens. If they did use Barwl's engine, it would just be another ****ty game, no biggie. Might get more people to play the 64 version too. I can definitely see someone thinking they're good on the 3ds and then going online to play with the big boys.

Better than a Backroom, that's all I have to say. ;)

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Why you always gotta be so mean to us rawr? You're hurting my feelings.

I guess we'll just see what happens. If they did use Barwl's engine, it would just be another ****ty game, no biggie. Might get more people to play the 64 version too. I can definitely see someone thinking they're good on the 3ds and then going online to play with the big boys.

Better than a Backroom, that's all I have to say. ;)
Lol I'm talking about if they added walltechs, nerfed z-cancels down to half lag cancels, fixed some of the broken **** (Though I do admit **** like falcon's grab, kirby/ness/pika utilt have to be fixed for less easy mode)

Battlecow

Play to Win
Erm, if you're arguing that that would make the game better, I have to disagree with you on most of that, but it's a matter of opinion; no one's gonna get mad. My point is that you should communicate your points less abrasively.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ohhh man, if there were ever a time for Smash to appear on a handheld, this would be the perfect excuse for it... More juice than the GCN, graphics on-par to better? And the controls... Doesn't the 3DS have some kind of similar pad thing going like the classic controllers and such? Jeez. Just screams "TRY SMASH ON 3DS". I'd bring that portable EVERY-where. @_@

And then the 3D visuals... Imagine getting a KO where the character flies in front of the screen/hits against the screen. That'd probably make me jump the first time or two, hearing how the 3DS works visually. XD Awesome.

But either way...

I'm not even sure if i want another smash game...
they would probably mess it up,and still not include megaman.:mad:
Quoted for truth. :(
(Sakurai or not... Sakurai's lost credibility in my eyes to continue working on the series. And anyone else, depending on who it is, probably wouldn't capture the same nostalgic flavors of the originals. Excluding Brawl.)

...Dammit.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Quoted for truth. :(
(Sakurai or not... Sakurai's lost credibility in my eyes to continue working on the series. And anyone else, depending on who it is, probably wouldn't capture the same nostalgic flavors of the originals. Excluding Brawl.)
don't be so hasty. when Miytamoto picked up the Metroid Series after Yokoi, it ended up bieng really good.

so lets hope for Miyamoto or Aonuma to do it while Saki is busy with the Kid Icarus game.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
A 3DS edition of Super Smash Bros. would almost certainly be a new sequel rather than a direct remake of the N64 original.
Untrue. SSB3D would, if it existed, almost certainly be an enhanced port of the original. Mostly because N64 game porting is the current fad and most of the characters' series' of origin are also getting N64 game ports to the 3DS.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Untrue. SSB3D would, if it existed, almost certainly be an enhanced port of the original. Mostly because N64 game porting is the current fad and most of the characters' series' of origin are also getting N64 game ports to the 3DS.
Enhanced how? I guess I wouldn't mind minor changes, but something with more or less the same mechanics/physics/characters/movesets would be teh bests.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Possibly minor move changes for balance but mostly extra characters (Bowser, Gannondorf and G&W seem likely) and stages (Metallic Mine in VS for a start) I suspect. And 3D of course. Hopefully they won't do athing else or remove anything as changing game mechanics or physics would awful. The only gameplay change I could really see though is touchscreen throwing, which would also likely be unwelcome.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
move balancing...?

why would you want 3D for an almost completely 2D fighter, so you can pause and admire the 3D-ness? or 3D Ness, either way, lolpuns?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I honestly don't know if ballancing would be required, it's just the obvious thing to do when you port a game.

This is what I expect, not what I want. 3D would be almost no use to SSB64 at all but it can't be much less fitting than in Paper Mario surely and you can't port to a 3D console without using the gimick.

Top Bottom