• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super smash bros. Weekend @ r.u. Game? Cash prizes! Win choice of gaming system!

Lad

Smash Apprentice
So uhh..3-5 stocks in brawl depending on the number of participants...interesting

:phone:

Maddie

Smash Rookie
I miiiiiiiiiiiiiiight go. Just so uneasy about single elimination. Placing in the money is based a lot on luck if the match with the other person who would make it to finals for sure in a double elim is up against you early in a single elim. I'll think about it :cool:

Maddie

Smash Rookie
Where does it say single elimination?
It doesn't, but it always is at R.U.Game?.

Instead of doing double elimination, they do single elimination.

Instead of doing best 2/3, they do best of 1 game.

Instead of a method for choosing the stage, the stage is set to random, and last time they had the wrong Yoshi level on (Yoshi Pipes).

No seeding.

They run the entire tournament on one TV.

I'm not trying to detract anyone from going to the tournaments; the people there obviously care about what they're doing, tons of people show up, and pretty much everyone seems to have a good time. It's a really casual tournament with some pretty decent prizes.

On the other hand, there's a ton of sitting around and it isn't very rewarding for people who are more hardcore than the casual gamer. The first tournament I went to there, I had to play one of the very few people in the room who could beat me early, and was eliminated. No loser's bracket to climb, which I guarantee I could have made it back up to those two or three people out of the many and contend for some money.

The second tournament I went to, I remember sort of convincing the person who was doing the brackets (it was just a bunch of names on a piece of paper and they would call them randomly) to not have me and one other person play each other until the end. I ended up taking 2nd and he ended up taking 1st. With a loser's bracket, it wouldn't make a difference if I was knocked out and had the chance to climb back up because at least that's legit if I don't make it there, but a loser's bracket would also require either infinitely more time, or more setups (which they do not do).

Basically, I don't really care to show up to the tournament to have fun. It honestly won't be the most fun thing for me as I get a bit frustrated from the amount of waiting around time and the less-than-stellar ruleset, but I could totally use the money. It's just that not being double elimination makes the money much, much harder to place in, with the chances of playing Ed or Trump before that and not being able to climb back up to them if I lose.

That, or maybe I should just complain less and try beating Ed more consistently sheik up-b rage rage rage.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Thanks for the info. One game and single elimination is pretty noob.

One TV is pretty bad too.

I'd definitely shy away from these types of tourney normally. Too casual.

But guaranteed money for playing my favorite game (ssb64) is hard to pass up.

Maddie

Smash Rookie
But guaranteed money for playing my favorite game (ssb64) is hard to pass up.
Absolutely true. That's why I'm torn about going to Brawl; with single elim and just a couple of other good players in the mix, money isn't guaranteed anymore depending on bracket randomness.

RUGAMESTORE.COM

Smash Cadet
Maddie, the tournaments will be played on multiple tvs this time around. The mall is very strict about having people out at a certain time past mall closing. Double elim would take too long. We will also be utilizing Tio for the bracketing.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
single elim for ssb64? guess i'm not coming anymore lol

sorry but i'm not traveling all the way from orlando to get paired against someone in my carpool round one, two, or three.

oh, and then on top of that, it's like 10-15 bucks to enter.

you guys are ridiculous.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
^ wow he's mad

Anyway ill be there Sunday for brawl. You guys need an extra wii or Tio assistance let me know. Im the one who made that paper bracket last time for top 8

SheerMadness

Smash Master
It's understandable. Why on earth would you travel an hour and a half and pay $10 to enter a tourney that's one game single elim, not even best of 3. Especially knowing you can't beat certain people in the tourney.

Which is exactly why I wouldn't go for melee or brawl. Travel an hour and a half to play GDX one game in brawl who I know I wouldn't be able to beat. Definitely pointless.

But I can beat everyone in FL in ssb64 so that's why I'm going. :)

EDIT: RUGAME, can you guys at least put people who traveled together from Orlando on different sides of the bracket? It's only fair since you're doing one game single elim. We don't wanna travel that far to get paired against our friend round 1. Complete waste of time and money if that were to happen.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I can respect that. Even though I'm off work, I'm not gonna enter melee Saturday. Because I'm just good enough to beat random people, I can't touch anyone who plays :laugh:

And since they are doing Tio (which I suggested to them) it shouldn't be a problem to separate friends and whatnot

Maddie

Smash Rookie
I can respect that. Even though I'm off work, I'm not gonna enter melee Saturday. Because I'm just good enough to beat random people, I can't touch anyone who plays :laugh:

And since they are doing Tio (which I suggested to them) it shouldn't be a problem to separate friends and whatnot
If we can seed the players who should be seeded, I'll probably show.

Playing GDX after making it to the top 4 > playing GDX round 1.

shawnz

Smash Rookie
I can never win these tourneys thanks to the great players on this site.... I DEMAND A TEEN/KID DIVISION!!
i mean come on last time i went to one of these tourneys and i saw a poor 4 to 5 year old holding a wiimote get creamed by some 20 year old with a gamecube controller. Yes it was funny but sad at the same time. how many kids have one these tourneys? None that i have seen. Well i need training though but still...(rant over:) )

RUGAMESTORE.COM

Smash Cadet
I miiiiiiiiiiiiiiight go. Just so uneasy about single elimination. Placing in the money is based a lot on luck if the match with the other person who would make it to finals for sure in a double elim is up against you early in a single elim. I'll think about it :cool:
Our next tournament for Brawl will be take place some time 1st quarter of 2013. We will do double elim. We are always open to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Thanks for the suggestion and hope to see you there! Keep an eye on our FB page for dates for future tournaments! :)

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
We don't force anyone to come. People come because they want to. If you don't want to play at our venue, go elsewhere. You should be practicing instead of trolling. Then maybe you'd hold up better against your competition. O.o

Normally hosts wish people to go to their tourneys.

You are very weird / defensive lol.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah based on the responses it seems to me like you are catering towards your tournament and not your target audience. Which isn't a bad mentality, but you're doing it all wrong. Build towards creating a better experience, and maybe they will come back for more. Reeling people in for the initial event and then forgetting about them isn't a good marketing strategy lol.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Personally I enjoyed the one they had in Gainesville.

But I don't really agree with how they run it too much. You should listen to what people say. Sure you don't force them to come, but when they don't show up for your tourneys then you can't run tourneys and that hurts your profit margin as well as your publicity. Try to find a balance if your concerned with time issues, run the venue with more than just one tv, even just 3 tvs all together would be adequate.

I'm still dissapointed that they canceled all of them in Gainesville all together just because people complained for whatever reason whether it was due to entrance fee, 1 tv, mk banned, etc.

Oh and cgs keith on 1st

RUGAMESTORE.COM

Smash Cadet
Personally I enjoyed the one they had in Gainesville.

But I don't really agree with how they run it too much. You should listen to what people say. Sure you don't force them to come, but when they don't show up for your tourneys then you can't run tourneys and that hurts your profit margin as well as your publicity. Try to find a balance if your concerned with time issues, run the venue with more than just one tv, even just 3 tvs all together would be adequate.

I'm still dissapointed that they canceled all of them in Gainesville all together just because people complained for whatever reason whether it was due to entrance fee, 1 tv, mk banned, etc.

Oh and cgs keith on 1st
We do listen to what people say. Previous tournaments were run on 1 tv. Now we run on multiple ones. Previous tournaments had an unorganized bracketing system. We now use Tio.
Maddie suggested that we do Double Elim as opposed to Single to further level the playing field...our next tournament in the 1st quarter of next year (date to be announced) will be Double Elim.

We welcome all players...except for flat out trolls. The Smash community or any other place on Earth for that matter....has no need for trolls.

For those that have offered constructive criticism of our tournaments. THANK YOU! Without you we would still be wasting time with hand written brackets and tournaments that take waaayy too friggen long. We will continue to evolve our tournaments to cater to the Smash community! Until next time! Keep practicing and we hope to be handing you a wad of cash in the future!

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
We do listen to what people say. Previous tournaments were run on 1 tv. Now we run on multiple ones. Previous tournaments had an unorganized bracketing system. We now use Tio.
Maddie suggested that we do Double Elim as opposed to Single to further level the playing field...our next tournament in the 1st quarter of next year (date to be announced) will be Double Elim.

We welcome all players...except for flat out trolls. The Smash community or any other place on Earth for that matter....has no need for trolls.

For those that have offered constructive criticism of our tournaments. THANK YOU! Without you we would still be wasting time with hand written brackets and tournaments that take waaayy too friggen long. We will continue to evolve our tournaments to cater to the Smash community! Until next time! Keep practicing and we hope to be handing you a wad of cash in the future!
No one has been trolling you...i think you need to put that idea aside.

AS i've always said i (and every smash64 player whos posted here) just want this tourney to be successful and respectable ...since smash64 has no tourneys we hope the ones that do come up are worth going to.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It was good seeing you Saturday Ian....congrats on winning the Melee tournament. You can stop trolling our tourny posts now. It's extremely childish and not appreciated. Thanks.
Every TO will have to deal with critics, some more eloquent than others, and some less nice about their criticisms. You can't just label those who disagree in a more hateful tone as "trolls" and disregard their posts, especially if they do have some valid input. I did a quick search of all of Eikelmann's posts in this thread and he doesn't really seem out to get you so much as he's upset about the format of your tournament, and not being as cordial with his complaints as, say, Maddie.

RUGAMESTORE.COM

Smash Cadet
Every TO will have to deal with critics, some more eloquent than others, and some less nice about their criticisms. You can't just label those who disagree in a more hateful tone as "trolls" and disregard their posts, especially if they do have some valid input. I did a quick search of all of Eikelmann's posts in this thread and he doesn't really seem out to get you so much as he's upset about the format of your tournament, and not being as cordial with his complaints as, say, Maddie.
You are correct. However, someone that presents themselves in such a manner from the get-go has no excuse to do so. It's common courtesy no matter what the situation. It doesn't matter whether it's on Smashboards or while walking down the street. You can't conduct yourself like that and expect to get a positive reaction. By all means a TO should turn the other cheek to things like this. But being the store owner as well it becomes a little more personal to me when someone is spitting on me for no good reason. I take pride in my stores and want the best for everyone that walks in the door. That's the reason why we have made certain changes to the structure of our tournaments. We want to make our tournaments the best around. I apologize for letting certain criticisms get to me. It's just the nature of the beast. I am only human (unfortunately ;)) Hopefully we can all lay this matter to rest and get back to what we do best. PLAYING SMASH!

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
R.U. GAME? in the Brandon Mall. Brandon, FL. We are right next to Dillard's. Our next tournament won't be till 1st quarter of 2013. We annouce tournament dates right here on Smashboards, our FB page, and our website!
RUGame, please be sure to use the EDIT and MULTIQUOTE buttons available to you. Double posting is not allowed. Thanks!

Top Bottom