• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Kills Controllers

Ice Ninja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceninja77
I ruined three of my controllers. If I plug them in, it will think the analog stick is moving up, and constantly push up. It makes navigating the menu hard. It even makes me jump up during a match. I guess thats what I get for playing Smash Bros three hours straight everyday.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Ive played over 800 hours of Melee and I have not had a controller break from it.
I dont expect for my controller to break

Tyros

Smash Cadet
Hmm... let's see here, me and my friends religiously playing Smash have messed with the sensitivity of... I'll go ahead and say five or six controllers.

And for those of you who seem to be thinking 'Ruined' is 'In pieces on the ground,' that's not what this thread is about. When playing for a long while, the GC controller's sensitivity in buttons, and especially the joystick, wears down. It happens to everyone, but sometimes is not detectable because your own reactions and playing tends to adjust slightly as the sensitivity does. Not everyone notices it. However, eventually, it gets so worn that it's impossible not to notice it, and that's when it's time to go out and buy another controller, which is what the thread's creator was talking about. *nods*

Anyway! Yeah, five or six for me and my friend group, I think. Also, I have a pretty funny third party story. A friend of mine (He'll be called KG for the sake of this story) plays with his hands in an odd position. So odd that he tends to accidentally hit buttons he doesn't mean to. Now, he's gotten past that now, but we were trying to think of a solution for it a good while ago. Of course, there was the obvious thought of, 'Why not change up your hand positioning to the more normal hand position?' Problem wth that was that he would have to basically relearn how to play with the new style - his handling of the controller was THAT radically different.

So, instead, we ended up buying a GameStop controller. And boy, for a while, it was perfectly great. He was happy, we were happy and we all generally got back to playing some Smash for fun. One day, though, about two weeks or so after we got the thing, we were all playing like normal. Suddenly, there's a click and a small black piece of plastic flew into the screen with a soft 'tink.' We paused the game, and we all looked over to KG, who was looking at the controller.

What had happened was the R button had perfectly detached from the top of the controller and flew into the TV screen. KG had been L-cancelling or something of the sort, and the strain of the quick presses apparently became too much for the poor third party controller to handle. We all laughed and, obviously, never used a third party controller again.

Man, they're flimsy. XD

- Tyros

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
The control stick on the controller that came with my 'Cube more or less died after a couple of years, almost certainly due entirely to Smash. It became very loose, I didn't realise just how bad it was until I played Splinter Cell and was unable to perform some actions (like dropping from ledges). Since then I've been less vigorous with my Smash attacks.

I also have a Wavebird that has become nearly unusable for no apparent reason after two or three years. Occasionally it seems to turn itself off, and won't be turned back on again for several hours. Although that was most likely nothing to do with Smash Bros :)

Smasher93

Smash Rookie
I've also messed up lots of GC controllers but I got new ones and I not using them till Brawl comes out

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
I was paradoxally a huge Smash Bros fan (loved the N64 version and played it for years) but never invested in a Gamecube, because my hard earned money was precious and I bought an X-box.

I finally got my hands on a Wii last August (got Melee with my Wii, that was the main force that drove me to buy it!), and I cheaped out and bought 3 *new* third-party controllers. I can't believe it, but all three have something wrong with them!

I bought two first party controllers after my first two non-nintendo crapped out, and have had no problem with them. One of them was even used!

I've heard it was bad to wrap your cord around the controllers (to make them easier to put away), but surely they should be able to handle the strain!

Well, my first controller did the classic thing where it asks as if the joystick is pushed up slightly at time (causing the hand in the character select screen to drift up for example, and definitely screwing your nairs).

My other two were worn out by my older brother. He's played a lot of Smash, but he's also kind of a troll with the controllers. He doesn't throw them or anything, he just plays them real hard with his giant fingers. Long story short, the A/B buttons stick in at times (mechanical, it's not gunk filled or anything).
first mistake, buying third part GC pads, they were all craptacular.

yes winding the cords around the controller is BAD BAD BAD, nothing may happen, but I work with cords proffessionally in sound and it just pains me to even hear of it.

third, save 1 controller that you don't let troll bro play with, your controllers will last longer.

This guy understands. Like I said: Smash kills controllers...

(Unless you play casual. Pro is alot more fast-paced. No offense to casuals; I enjoy a good friendly match every once in a while.)
not true, you can play pro but play smart, E.G. move the joystick fast, but not forcefully, don't grind it into the edge, but simply flick it to the edge, the idea is to play with skill, but finesse too.

the only problem my controller has is 1 loose trigger, and that is from another game, but I don't blame the game, I blame my blatant grinding of the trigger.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
This is starting to turn into a "who broke the most controllers" contest.
Luckly my hands are made of flesh and bone and not IRON.
I don't break controllers >_>
I hear ya, I just try to play at my best, without going insane on my controller. The idea of 4 controls not only adds variety, but boasts their marketing.
As they say in Guiness, BRILLIANT!

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I'm very picky about how tight the analog sticks are on controllers I'm using. But I usually don't have a problem with my own controllers, just others. I guess they're harder on them than I am. And it's rare that you'll have problems with anything other than the analogs unless you're using a third party pad.

I did totally annihilate my brother's Rock Band drum pedal. But it seems like every single one of those that is bought is broken within a month or two.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
yes winding the cords around the controller is BAD BAD BAD, nothing may happen, but I work with cords proffessionally in sound and it just pains me to even hear of it.
I hear ya'. I think I've had at least 4 hours worth of classes on cable care in film school <_<.

Anyway, since getting my GCN and Melee, I (and my family) have been through at least 4-5 controllers. My current (and last first party) controller responds to taps in the left direction only about 50% of the time, and the A button isn't doing so hot either. Can't seem to find any non-third party GCN controllers these days, so I bought one (can't recall the brand) in hopes of tying me over until I can get a decent one. The thing is so bad, I prefer playing with my half-broken first-party controller.

Really need to find myself a decent pad come March.

tGwarr10r

Smash Apprentice
So I just realized how many Cube controllers I've been through because of Smash. My wavebird is almost done for. Should I risk tearing up my WiiMotes/Nunchucks for smash? Seeing as how WiiMotes are considerably more expensive than Cube controllers.
i kno what u mean, i've broken 5 controls playing melee loll i only hav one control left and im hoping itll last me thru brawl lol

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I hear a lot about Wavebirds. Which is the better option? What makes Wavebirds so greater than the normal controllers? Can someone list the pros and cons of them? I'd appreciate it.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I hear a lot about Wavebirds. Which is the better option? What makes Wavebirds so greater than the normal controllers? Can someone list the pros and cons of them? I'd appreciate it.
Wavebirds are basically the same thing as the regular GC controllers except for wireless. And extremely good wireless as well, I'll add. But there's no rumble, I don't think. But whatever. I don't even like rumble.

Wavebird's have some extra weight. After playing with a Wavebird regular GC controllers feel awkward.

But ya, the reason people rave about Wavebirds is because for so long going wireless usually meant a decrease in general quality and durability of your game pad. But Wavebirds not only have phenomenal wireless reach. But they're just as durable as any other first party controller.

My Wavebird is much, much better than my X360 first party wireless controller (which is ALREADY broken. Not in the mechanics of it, just in being completely unable to connect to a 360.)

Blaze890

Smash Rookie
Melee time clocked: 1500+ hrs
3rd party controllers ruined: 9 (**** you madcatz!! Luckily they have warranties)
1st party controllers ruined: 1

Lesson learned: Nintendo all the way and the smaller reach distance on a microcon is not worth it.

~Blaze

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
Why do you think they still make GCN controllers? =O
They don't really sell them anymore.

Alright, lets see here....

6 [I'm usable! But I suck at life....]

7 This is my current controller - it ****ing rocks

Yes, 1-5 all lost their lives.

However, controller number 2 lasted the shortest time imaginable -> 5 weeks (3rd Party)

The rest of my controllers are Original Gamecube. And I'm quite proud of them. They freaking rock(ed).

ANYONE know where I can find them though? (Not counting online)

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Topic is true

/close topic

But yeah, a friend of mine destroyed 4 vcontrollers... wtf

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I only broken 1 controller and it was an 3rd party one (Kudos for the one that guesses which one). Aside from that controller, my purple, orange, black, and Wavebird Silver-colored controllers are working just fine.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
3 of my controllers are dead =/ 1 jumps every time you press the shield buttons, 1 doesn't have a working c-stick and stuck buttons, 1 has an analog stick that doesn't work too well.
:laugh: :laugh: Too funny.But yo,heres a tip that might work for the one thats messed up c stick wise.Try pushing up on it (C-stick) extremly hard until you hear a click.The one Iam using now stop working too but once I did that,my C buttons started working again o.0.What I believe what happened was that the C stick inside wasnt reaching the panels that are embedded inside the controller.It must of somehow got outta place and by me pushing up on it,I must of rearranged it.Werid stuff but just recently my friend had the same problem and he did what I told him,and it worked afterwards.Give it a try bro.

As for the jumping R button one,I have one of those too,and you wanna know whats funny?Its a freaking newer one that I just gotten like a year ago.I havent been so lucky to fix that problem yet but give me time.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
As long as you don't play for long periods of time, without breaks, and don't pound on your controller like a drum, you should go through only one GC controller. (Yes, only one)
Nintendo recommends players to take a 10 minute break for every hour of gaming, but seriously, no one follows that.

Top Bottom