• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Hex - A Smash 64 Balance Mod

Capos

Smash Apprentice
But even if an emulator is not popular you can still play it with reasonable friends. I refuse to use pj64 and even mupen64k.

I understand the fact that 2.2k has BSOD, but that doesn't appear to be the main reason people aren't using it. More people seem to have complained about the fps issue which is just an option that you can turn off. In its current state, I would not use it myself, but it's better than both mupen64k and pj64 1.4k., for those who don't have win 10 (which i suspect is the case for the majority). For fixing BSOD, all you literally have to do is copy a small amount of code, iirc. So anyone can do it.
Are most people playing with friends where they could force a switch, or just hopping online and playing whatever names are there? I'd guess the latter but I don't know for sure.

No I don't think that the main reason, I think inertia is the main reason. I won't speak for Knite, but I'd guess the win 10 issue would have to be fixed before he'll force the switch that he said he would. Are there instructions on what to copy and where? If there are I missed them.

Stonefallow

Smash Cadet
I could get behind this project if the hitstun wasn't reduced. That's actually one of my favorite aspects of the 64 version and making combos less effective really feels more like a nerf than a buff.

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
I could get behind this project if the hitstun wasn't reduced. That's actually one of my favorite aspects of the 64 version and making combos less effective really feels more like a nerf than a buff.
try it before you knock it in conjunction with the other changes. The thing is the hitstun is reduced so the increased speed doesn't become so stupid that literally no combo can be escaped.

Madao

Are most people playing with friends where they could force a switch, or just hopping online and playing whatever names are there? I'd guess the latter but I don't know for sure.
Fair point. I still think there are enough people who have realized how bad it is to be using pj64k, that they really could have migrated to a better emulator by now if they really wanted to.

No I don't think that the main reason, I think inertia is the main reason. I won't speak for Knite, but I'd guess the win 10 issue would have to be fixed before he'll force the switch that he said he would. Are there instructions on what to copy and where? If there are I missed them.
https://github.com/project64/project64/commit/19a6beab80a45830045a0f918f13af9e92218e3d
As you can see, it's a simple change :) . Although it's better to just port kaillera to latest version of PJ64, since there have been a lot of improvements. By using an older version of 2.2, you really miss out. Anyway, if BSOD and framerate are the only thing stopping current 2.2k from being pushed, then I suggest quikcly patching out the BSOD issue and change the rdb setting to disable sync audio. So then you can temporarily use that, until after Project64 has become more stable. Then someone can port kaillera to the newer version.

Btw RPGgrenade RPGgrenade if you need more help with patching, let me know. I know I didn't go into great detail in my previous post. I can try looking for previous posts to refer you to, as well as adding additional advice.

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
Fair point. I still think there are enough people who have realized how bad it is to be using pj64k, that they really could have migrated to a better emulator by now if they really wanted to.

https://github.com/project64/project64/commit/19a6beab80a45830045a0f918f13af9e92218e3d
As you can see, it's a simple change :) . Although it's better to just port kaillera to latest version of PJ64, since there have been a lot of improvements. By using an older version of 2.2, you really miss out. Anyway, if BSOD and framerate are the only thing stopping current 2.2k from being pushed, then I suggest quikcly patching out the BSOD issue and change the rdb setting to disable sync audio. So then you can temporarily use that, until after Project64 has become more stable. Then someone can port kaillera to the newer version.

Btw RPGgrenade RPGgrenade if you need more help with patching, let me know. I know I didn't go into great detail in my previous post. I can try looking for previous posts to refer you to, as well as adding additional advice.
I would VERY much appreciate the help. But at the moment with university as a software engineering student my time is limited when it comes to software management and stuff. So sadly it'd be quite some time before I can look into it more thoroughly >.<
But still, I'd greatly appreciate any help with finding the correct lines of code to change using that hex editor you mentioned. I just suck at that stuff.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
2. Knitephox runs Smash FU, the primary server where everybody hosts their games. He, over everybody else, has the power to enforce this change. Kaillera servers have the ability to force a specific emulator upon connecting. However, he refuses to do this unless the emulator supports gameshark codes. I'm quite certain PJ64 2.2 has GS support, no?
local and online 58-60 fps is what makes me not emu force 2.2, though no cheats would be a factor

Zantetsu

Smash Master
local and online 58-60 fps is what makes me not emu force 2.2, though no cheats would be a factor
What are you saying? That PJ64 2.2 fluctuates between 58-60fps? So does PJ64k all the time, but there's a fix to that in PJ64 2.2 (see below).

Or are you saying that PJ62 2.2 doesn't do that, and you want it to dip below to 58fps? Because that doesn't make much sense, as the dips in FPS done by the emulator are not related, in any way, to the hardware lag that a console replicates. So it's not like this gives us a more "console-like" experience, it's just random dropped frames that cause the transition between online and console to be even WORSE.

Either way of the argument, see this tidbit from page one:

Project64 2.2k doesn't DS, fullscreen works (iirc), has GS codes, etc. Literally the 2 complaints I've heard so far, are that the "fps isn't stable" (which is simply fixed by turning off sync audio...) and BSOD on windows 10 (which has been fixed on latest version of Project64). So all someone has to do is backport the kaillera code into the latest version. Only problem I'm aware of with the newest Project64 is that the UI is less stable.
Each time a forcible emulator switch gets brought up, I hear different excuses. It seems as if you don't WANT to do it, but you could really do some good for the online community by forcing a specific emulator (even if it's just for a month or something, until people make it the standard), as it's clear the community won't switch on their own. I see no downsides in doing this, and only positives. People above 7 OS can finally play 60fps without visual frame skips, full screen will be accessible, you can keep your precious GS codes.. I just see absolutely no reason to NOT go forward with this. Sure, the UI isn't completely stable, but PJ64k crashes so much that people have gone out of their way to make reboot exe/bat files just to close and reopen it for christ sake. We're used to it already.

The online community has the ability to improve and stop being a laughing stock from the console community by using a 13 old emulator, and even if you may not realize it, you have probably the strongest power to cause this change, along with Madao if/when he completes PJ64 2.2 for kaillera support. Discord is only a small fraction of the community that plays online, it's clear we can't cause a transition from there, but I personally believe the primary server (yours) is the best place to start.

Madao

I would VERY much appreciate the help. But at the moment with university as a software engineering student my time is limited when it comes to software management and stuff. So sadly it'd be quite some time before I can look into it more thoroughly >.<
But still, I'd greatly appreciate any help with finding the correct lines of code to change using that hex editor you mentioned. I just suck at that stuff.
I'm very busy myself as well. For hex editing, you just have to do a hex search to find what you are looking for. All you do is look at the in game memory, and then hex search those numbers in hex editor. For instance, if you want to patch the hitbox display code, you can just open up nemu64, load a match in SSB, then look at the address of the gameshrark code in the memory viewer then hex search the data you see. Be careful because you sometimes how to narrow it down by searching a big sequence of data, sometimes 32 or 64 or even more bytes worth of data. Generally, I search by multiples of 4 bytes for the length of the hex bytes string to search.

you have probably the strongest power to cause this change, along with Madao if/when he completes PJ64 2.2 for kaillera support.
The best option is to make small changes to 2.2k and then use that until upstream Project64 has fixed the UI instability. All you need to do is port over the BSOD fix which is just 1 line of code, and disabling sync audio.

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
I'm very busy myself as well. For hex editing, you just have to do a hex search to find what you are looking for. All you do is look at the in game memory, and then hex search those numbers in hex editor. For instance, if you want to patch the hitbox display code, you can just open up nemu64, load a match in SSB, then look at the address of the gameshrark code in the memory viewer then hex search the data you see. Be careful because you sometimes how to narrow it down by searching a big sequence of data, sometimes 32 or 64 or even more bytes worth of data. Generally, I search by multiples of 4 bytes for the length of the hex bytes string to search.
Interesting. I'll have to look into it. Do you have any suggestions on the version of nemu64 to use? Because so far attempting to download it have caused instant crashes on startup. Not sure if that's just my computer disliking it for being in windows 10 or if I may have been downloading an improper version of it. And I'll do my best. I'm not sure I understand the concepts yet, though.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
I think projects like this are an insult to Nintendo. What's wrong with just playing the game the way it's supposed to be played? Why do people always feel the need to alter, the original creation, rather than just appreciate it for what it is? Please just leave it alone. If you don't like the game, then just play something else.
You've played brawl right?

Either way, I've got an everdrive, and it's looking like we might have a local place to play now, so if people start to show interest in smash 64, i could drag a setup for it along. (and maybe provide at least some minor feedback)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Either way, I've got an everdrive, and it's looking like we might have a local place to play now, so if people start to show interest in smash 64, i could drag a setup for it along. (and maybe provide at least some minor feedback)
I don't care. I will never change my viewpoint.

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice

In that case I should give you some proper means to help you not run into the same issues I have. the biggest of these being that sometimes you can't start the game properly unless you do a soft reset after putting in the codes on startup. You basically wait for the opening cinematic to freeze, then soft reset, and you should be able to start no problem after putting all this in. But that may be subejct to different criteria. So no problems there.

I don't care. I will never change my viewpoint.
Ah, so you're closed minded on the subject, then. Good to know. You probably shouldn't bother yourself checking back on this topic from now on as it might just enrage you.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
In that case I should give you some proper means to help you not run into the same issues I have. the biggest of these being that sometimes you can't start the game properly unless you do a soft reset after putting in the codes on startup. You basically wait for the opening cinematic to freeze, then soft reset, and you should be able to start no problem after putting all this in. But that may be subejct to different criteria. So no problems there.
if you ever get a working rom patcher like the 19xx mod, im more than happy to check it out.

Nick Mang

Smash Rookie
right. No clue how to patch a rom yet, but I'll see what I can do with what I got.
Patching a rom is not hard at all. All you need is the original rom and the modified rom. Then use xdelta to get the differences in files and you'll have a patch

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
Patching a rom is not hard at all. All you need is the original rom and the modified rom. Then use xdelta to get the differences in files and you'll have a patch
ooooh, is it really that simple? Well then I look forward to patching it up when I get a chance haha. Also I'm updating the original post a bit with a few new ideas I've had.

Nick Mang

Smash Rookie
ooooh, is it really that simple? Well then I look forward to patching it up when I get a chance haha. Also I'm updating the original post a bit with a few new ideas I've had.
You need to actually modify rom values though, I don't think gameshark codes will cut it.

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
You need to actually modify rom values though, I don't think gameshark codes will cut it.
I'm aware, which is why I was asking Madao about hex editing. What I have issue with is using Nemu 64 in all honesty, it's really my only downfall here.

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
Could you post here the updates too? I don´t want to read the main post again, me lazy
I won't copy them here, but I can at least state that what I edited was Ness, Mario and Luigi's sections. Falcon's was edited mildly. And Increased DI has been removed at least in principle.

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
This mod on the Everdrive 64 does it work does anyone know?
This utilizes gameshark codes, and there are some issues with it in general, sadly. If Everdrive 64 can implement Gameshark codes, then yes. If not, then no. I-m working on a ROM hack in order to let you just make a modded ROM

Roboplodicus

Smash Cadet
This utilizes gameshark codes, and there are some issues with it in general, sadly. If Everdrive 64 can implement Gameshark codes, then yes. If not, then no. I-m working on a ROM hack in order to let you just make a modded ROM
The everdrive has imperfect gameshark capablities, I have one but I lent it to a friend but I'll give the codes a try when I get it back. The ROM hack would be wholly self contained? as in you only need one program, an emulator, to play it?

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
The everdrive has imperfect gameshark capablities, I have one but I lent it to a friend but I'll give the codes a try when I get it back. The ROM hack would be wholly self contained? as in you only need one program, an emulator, to play it?
well usually ROM hacks have a special program so you can modify your OWN ROM file yourself. TECHNICALLY you can distribute the hacked ROM, but that's... not exactly legal to say you're doing it.

zeldasmokes

Smash Rookie
love how underrated link is.

He's not low teir, you just have to play him a totally different way.
The challenge of learning how to properly combo with him is actually really fun.

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
love how underrated link is.

He's not low teir, you just have to play him a totally different way.
The challenge of learning how to properly combo with him is actually really fun.
"He's not low tier", except he's second to last, almost exclusively because his recovery is absolute garbage and the only reason people do decently with him is because they don't get hit, which is not a deciding factor into who is high on the their list or not.

zeldasmokes

Smash Rookie
"He's not low tier", except he's second to last, almost exclusively because his recovery is absolute garbage and the only reason people do decently with him is because they don't get hit, which is not a deciding factor into who is high on the their list or not.
I won't argue that you have to learn how to play a way where u wont get hit, against a good player on some characters getting hit once could possibly mean you unavoidably getting comboed till u die.

The thing is it's actually avoiding being hit all together while prepping combos with your projectiles is completely plausable with Link, while it is not with the other characters.

With a basic understanding of the games mechanics anyone could hop on a character like kirby and do well.
This isnt the case with Link, you really have to throw those basics out the window, and learn him a different way.

I would be glad to do any matches with anyone online, fun stuff.

Spurdo

Smash Apprentice
You said everyone being broken was a problem. I don't feel it is. It's also why I like Soul Calibur.
If everybody is too powerful, the game becomes shallow. A global lack of weaknesses coupled with an overwhelming amount of strengths to the point where everybody has a touch of death combo. It's lazy.

Ælude

Smash Cadet
Spurdo Spurdo I can't speak for melee sd but thats a very inaccurate statement for pm as the high tiers were nerfed and the low tiers buffed. Its also regarded as the most balanced smash game so i'm completely lost.

I also don't see why in theory buffing the obvious weaknesses of the lower tier characters is a bad thing or how it could be seen as everyone being too powerful if its done properly. It's a much better idea imo than the other extreme of nerfing down the top characters. It is a bit ironic I find to not have balance in an approach to balance the game though.

Spurdo

Smash Apprentice
Spurdo Spurdo I can't speak for melee sd but thats a very inaccurate statement for pm as the high tiers were nerfed and the low tiers buffed. Its also regarded as the most balanced smash game so i'm completely lost.

I also don't see why in theory buffing the obvious weaknesses of the lower tier characters is a bad thing or how it could be seen as everyone being too powerful if its done properly. It's a much better idea imo than the other extreme of nerfing down the top characters. It is a bit ironic I find to not have balance in an approach to balance the game though.
PM turned half the cast in to Marvel vs. Capcom characters, they all have a ridiculous amount of options for every single situation. It is not how a Smash game should be balanced. It's not just that these mods negate the weaknesses holding back the characters, it's that they also give them a ton of unnecessary buffs just so they can avoid the elephant in the room of having to nerf the top tier characters down to a more reasonable level.

Ælude

Smash Cadet
Pm's not for everyone nor is it my preferred game but your opinion is just plain wrong on so many levels. I'm done here.

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
PM turned half the cast in to Marvel vs. Capcom characters, they all have a ridiculous amount of options for every single situation. It is not how a Smash game should be balanced. It's not just that these mods negate the weaknesses holding back the characters, it's that they also give them a ton of unnecessary buffs just so they can avoid the elephant in the room of having to nerf the top tier characters down to a more reasonable level.
I'm ok with the idea of nerfing a few things at most, and at the moment I'm trying to come up with decent nerfs without changing the characters too much (Kirby utilt anyone?). As for you comments on PM, I don't understand at all what you mean. You say it shouldn't be balanced that way because YOU don't like it that way, and state it as if it were fact. So considering it is the most balanced of the series, still with imbalances allowed as many character have disadvantages over other characters by exploiting their weaknesses. They're simply not as glaring now. And they did nerf Fox and Falco on several small things, but going the Magic Scrumpy route just turns players away. Besides, the whole point of not nerfing the big top tiers is because when you have so many characters with tools that can contest with them, nerfing them becomes a moot and unnecessary thing to do. If you want to argue this, argue it with the PMDT or Ripple (the guy making the newest SDR which I'm testing the early stages of), because it's going to be hard to convince me that you actually know the game at all if you think every character has an insane amount of options. (I'm primarily a PM player, if it wasn't obvious)

original always felt the most balanced/skill based to me.
Just because I'm curious. But have you played any of the others competitively? What do you define by balance? Because Link's horrid recovery seems like a terrible example to use. Pikachu's up-B alone travels 4 times the distance Link's entire double jump+up-B do, in a game where falling off the stage is what makes you lose. To me this doesn't seem balanced coupled with his less than desirable disjoint, slow ground mobility and only decent frame data.
And what do you define by skill? Literally all the smash games take different skills, but whenever I transfer from Project M over to 64, it's like the entire game is playing in slow motion and it's like... way too easy, at times. ESPECIALLY if I use Kirby. So I'm not sure what it is you mean by these things when you haven't defined them.

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
I won't argue that you have to learn how to play a way where u wont get hit, against a good player on some characters getting hit once could possibly mean you unavoidably getting comboed till u die.

The thing is it's actually avoiding being hit all together while prepping combos with your projectiles is completely plausable with Link, while it is not with the other characters.

With a basic understanding of the games mechanics anyone could hop on a character like kirby and do well.
This isnt the case with Link, you really have to throw those basics out the window, and learn him a different way.

I would be glad to do any matches with anyone online, fun stuff.
oops I missed this one. The problem here is what you're describing isn't necessarily wrong, it just doesn't determine tier placings. It takes more skill to use Link than Kirby, for sure. But the fact that Kirby somehow manages to outrange Link's sword and most characters can just avoid or hit back his projectiles, as well as having a recovery that's not only predictable but extremely terrible, makes him exactly what I said, a bad character. I've mained Link in all the smash games, and it's no exception that he sucks in 64 because his recovery is absolutely terrible. The few other changes I'd like to add would simply allow for a bit more "equality" so that your skills actually reflect well. Because you have to be like 5 times more skilled than a Kirby opponent in order to beat him as Link, and that carries through a large amount of the cast. Which implies that your skill isn't being reflected well in your character. The idea of this project being your skill will make it a matter of matchup knowledge and skill, rather than the character flat out losing.

Spurdo

Smash Apprentice
I'm ok with the idea of nerfing a few things at most, and at the moment I'm trying to come up with decent nerfs without changing the characters too much (Kirby utilt anyone?). As for you comments on PM, I don't understand at all what you mean. You say it shouldn't be balanced that way because YOU don't like it that way, and state it as if it were fact. So considering it is the most balanced of the series, still with imbalances allowed as many character have disadvantages over other characters by exploiting their weaknesses. They're simply not as glaring now. And they did nerf Fox and Falco on several small things, but going the Magic Scrumpy route just turns players away. Besides, the whole point of not nerfing the big top tiers is because when you have so many characters with tools that can contest with them, nerfing them becomes a moot and unnecessary thing to do. If you want to argue this, argue it with the PMDT or Ripple (the guy making the newest SDR which I'm testing the early stages of), because it's going to be hard to convince me that you actually know the game at all if you think every character has an insane amount of options. (I'm primarily a PM player, if it wasn't obvious)
the problem with making most of the cast excessively powerful is that it makes the game incredibly rewarding for a disproportionately small output of skill, and in Project M's case it becomes more of a game about having your character's pointless new gimmick carry you, easily combo-ing everyone in to anything from everything while you zip around firing projectiles. The approach it takes by negating character's weaknesses and then giving them a superfluous amount of additional buffs on top of new gimmicks, while yeah making it "balanced" I suppose, ultimately turns it in to a shallower and easier game.

and also, the point of not nerfing the top tiers is so you can justify having everybody be as good as the top tiers so you don't have to nerf the top tiers so you don't have to change the way you play the game because Melee has been around for 15 years and is incredibly popular and everybody is really stubborn

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
the problem with making most of the cast excessively powerful is that it makes the game incredibly rewarding for a disproportionately small output of skill, and in Project M's case it becomes more of a game about having your character's pointless new gimmick carry you, easily combo-ing everyone in to anything from everything while you zip around firing projectiles. The approach it takes by negating character's weaknesses and then giving them a superfluous amount of additional buffs on top of new gimmicks, while yeah making it "balanced" I suppose, ultimately turns it in to a shallower and easier game.

and also, the point of not nerfing the top tiers is so you can justify having everybody be as good as the top tiers so you don't have to nerf the top tiers so you don't have to change the way you play the game because Melee has been around for 15 years and is incredibly popular and everybody is really stubborn
Yeah everyone calls everything a gimmick, without giving an explanation as to what that is, why it's bad or what the gimmicks actually are and how they aren't in the other games.
I was gonna do a long rant on this. But this is honestly irrelevant and I only plan to modify numbers, not add functionality to the majority of moves. And judging by your "mains" list you barely even play 64, so it's not much of a concern to you at this point I would imagine. Yes there are a few things I'd like to add for functionality purposes (like the Ness attack property and speed buff of the move), but the whole point is to try and make them as "basic" as possible without changing a character's feel or playstyle.
Yes, I do plan to modify hitboxes in terms of size, damage, KBG etc, but there's going to be very little in the way of actually adding in new moves that won't be heavily tested for their usefulness relative to their strengths and all that.
Also, just an fyi. I don't know what version of Project M you've been looking at lately, because that might make the difference in what you're saying. The first few iterations of PM had a lot of... questionable things added in, and I mean a lot. But they weeded out most of the super stupid ones and toned down the ones they kept up until they stopped developing it a year ago. So maybe you're looking at an older version.

Top Bottom