• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord

Dedede's Throne Room
the teleport monsters thingy!!!

Origin: Kirbys Anime.
Actual Game appareance: Squake Squad.

The throne room is without doubts the most iconic place of the show and a very important part of this series.

The anime isnt canon or anything, but has been a great source of elements in the DS titles, from enemies to places, is also a great part of many GBA kirby players and the reason why many actually exist, so, is a good way to represent kirby's portable carreer in my opinion.

Not only that but Kirby 3D ( Episode 101) aired on the 3DS on 2012, making the anime part of kirby quite known amoung today 3DS players.

Description: just a big capsule in the center. You can walk in front of it.

teleport.png

Hazards: Some enemies may appear randomly from the machine, those could be regular minor foes like sparky or chili (my bet is elec) or minibosses like Bugsy.and Bonkers. Never a waddle dee will be transported.

Music:

Kirby March (Vocal or Instrumental) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fglv6B6AfSw
First Draw a Circle (vocal) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZfyuh9tU1A
Factory Investigarion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaRn1WCVIlY
Pretty much any DDD-Boss related tune works, including fountain of dreams.

Extras:
Escargoon and DDD (on his throne, when he is not fighting) will be part of the background, along the nightmare enterprises customer service guy on the TV.

Also the lights can be turned off or on during the match!!!

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Oopsie! This round's closed! Grading starts!

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
I find it interesting how many of our entries included some type of "multiple stages within one" mechanic this time. I mean, a few appearing during Zelda round made sense, given Zelda devs love their multiple dimensions. But them appearing again there - hey, more of them I think - is quite suspicious.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
The waiting is killing me!! :/
Well, I'm going to finish my grades tonight so I can focus on studying for midterms next week. Honestly, when you're a judge and a college student at the same time, the long waiting times are what makes the process bearable. That's why I don't groan when rounds in the Stage Soundtrack contest take too long. I know they probably have good reasons.

I love the Kirby series and it looks like all of the contestants took advantage of Kirby's rich history on handhelds, so I'm looking forward to judging this round!

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
There is a prevision for the release date of the grades?

Ascended

Smash Ace
D-Idara's Grades:
PixelPasta
Popularity:
10/10
Creativity: 10/10
Playability: 9/10
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror's my favorite Kirby game of all time! And the Mirror World's certainly the most well-known location from that game, aside from Radish Ruins or Candy Constellation maybe. I love the concept of turning a hub world into a full-fledged stage while staying true to the original layout and overall feel, the enemies also feel very charming with the way they emerge from the mirrors while not bothering the battle much (If at all, since they appear on fairly large intervals) and I like how they keep their actual behavior from the game. I need to see an Amazing Mirror stage on the 3DS.
Total: 29

BigAxle
Popularity:
10/10
Creativity: 8/10
Playability: 8/10
Of course 10 on Popularity because the Arena's the flagship 'fighting' location from the Kirby series, I love how you use the different looks of the different arenas to add a little flair, especially the darker True Arena with the demon-thing on the background, I also like how you adapted the layout to be a little more competitive-viable, but I also feel that the walk-off edges are kind of an Arena trademark. The stage being Battlefield-esque kinda saved you from having 7 on Playability, but I feel like hazards every 15 seconds is just a bit too much, especially the explosive ones/Bonkers.
Total: 26

evildevil97
Popularity:
10/10
Creativity: 9/10
Popularity 10...really...a cool thing about the Kirby series is that almost every game has a super-iconic location that everyone remembers, they're THAT memorable, like Butter Building. I gave you a lot of Creativity because I like how you used the actual level's rotating platform for the battle, and how little platforms come and go with the rotation, also pretty cool how the stage literally rips in half if two players are pulling it on opposite directions. I could've given you very low playability because I think the gusts of wind and Bronto Burts are a bit too much, but given that the conditions for the stage to rip in half are very rare, I guess the gusts would rarely appear, I also like how it can be repaired.
Total: 27

Dairz
Popularity:
6/10
:s I feel like 'Grasslands' might be too generic for a Smash stage...probably the only Iconic 'Grasslands' are Green Greens and Green Hill Zone. I think the animal friends are a cute touch and the stage layout feels just...right to me for some reason, I dunno, I just think it'd be a very enjoyable stage to play on, I usually have a thing for stages with high hills and different geography. The hazards don't seem to intrusive and are rare/predictable enough, especially because Kine doesn't deal damage. A pretty good stage overall, although the location still feels too generic.
Total: 23

Ariand/AEM
Popularity:
7/10
Playability: 7/10
Well, yes...Flowery Woods looks like Wispy Woods, but since he's from a very new game, I can't help feeling like people will look at him and go like 'Wait...he had flowers?' without really recognizing the location/boss from Triple Deluxe. Took two points off creativity since it basically plays like the actual boss battle, except a little less intrusive...I would've given you a 9 on Playability if you'd explained the spikes a little bit better, I dunno, right now they feel like they would be too much for the battle going on, even though they're rare.
Total: 24

josh bones
Popularity:
10/10
Creativity: 6/10
Of course King Dedede's Castle gets 10 in Popularity...but there's something that rubs me the REALLY wrong way about a playable character also acting as a stage hazard that hurts players...you also didn't explain much of the stage's layout, does it have walk-off edges? Is it a platform? The thing about Dedede's castle is that it's more iconic from the outside...so not specifying confuses me...

Violenceman
Popularity:
10/10
Milky Way Wishes, what you could call the 'Main Campaign' of Kirby Super Star as a stage. First of all, I absolutely love how you actually made a traveling stage look and feel logical and interesting (Delfino Plaza and Skyloft look beyond boring to me) with the space background, really feels like it'd be an amazing experience to go through all these different planets with different layouts and quirks, my favorite has to be Halfmoon, kicking stardust up as you run! Also, 9 on playability because even though the stage can hurt you from time to time, most of that damage also depends largely on player skill or lack of it.

Croco
Popularity:
10/10
God this stage's a masterpiece! First of all, I love how the stage goes through a kind of story and how the concept manages to feel so exciting while having no hazards at all! Of course Bubbly Clouds has been a recurring location on Kirby games, and the Gameboy version's especially memorable (Although I loved the colorful cloud levels on Amazing Mirror :v) because of the temple aesthetics. I gave it 9/10 because I feel like there's too many platforms towards the center of the stage on the flying section, and it's a big stage.

Capps
Popularity:
7/10
Another Triple Deluxe stage! Again, this one showcases a bunch of locations that might feel familiar for many people...but they don't look quite the same of strike that nostalgic effect right. I like how you make the stage transition through all of Kirby Fighters' locations seamlessly, although the Lolo & Lala part seems a little too cluttered :s Although I do like how the hammers only leave you dizzy instead of sending you flying to your doom.
Total: 24

9Volt
Popularity:
8/10
A relevant location from Kirby's Dreamland 2, especially because of the Animal Friends' dreams, which I must say, are one of the most creative stage gimmicks I've ever seen :D The concept of running and fighting while on a dream just seems charming, especially with the retro graphics on the dreams contrasting with the colorful characters, I took two points off Playability because two of the dreams scroll, but they don't seem Rumble Falls-esque, more like Rainbow Cruise, very manageable scrolling sections :3 Overall a pretty good and charming little stage, I'd be a delight to see something like this make it into the game.
Total: 26

stan423321
Popularity:
9/10
I think it does apply :D It's true that many Dedede fights are on towers, and although the Dreamland games are kinda obscure, Kirby 64 is VERY popular. I also love the concept of switching doors, especially having to memorize the different layouts and output doors of each stage form, although I think it'd cause a fair amount of chaos on the matches, especially if someone's launched through a door and they shoot through the other door at full speed (Beautiful, beautiful chaos).
Total: 25

Sobreviviente
Popularity:
8/10
I NEEDUH' MONSTAH' TO CLOBBAH' DAT DERE KIRBEH'...Sorry, had to do it. I really like how you grabbed a location from the anime, but it does feel a little too bland at times, even with the cameos from the show, and the stage hazards don't really seem relevant to the stage at all, it's a great concept, but it could be executed better, I really don't have much more to say about it.

Forcerounds' Grades:
Mirror World by PixelPasta
Popularity: 8/10
Creativity: 7/10

Total: 23/30

The Amazing Mirror is hard material to work with considering that Mirror World hub is the best location to choose from in that game. The aesthetics and large size of the stage sounds very appealing considering most Kirby stages in Smash Bros. tend to be small. I'd say you did a pretty nice job with it.

The Arena by BigAxle

Popularity: 9/10
Playability: 6/10

Total: 22/30

Sorry, I wasn't able to see your attachment. Stage layout diagrams are optional so it doesn't affect your score. The Arena is indeed one of the most popular locations in the Kirby series, so good choice on that one. Having different arena backgrounds is a neat touch too. The main playability issue is the frequency of enemy appearances. It makes sense for enemies to appear on the stage, but every 15 seconds leaves players with little time for a break.

Butter Building by evildevil97

Total: 24/30

Welcome to the forum! Butter Building is a great location to represent the Kirby series. Kirby's Adventure is an important game, and luckily it was remade for the GBA. The spinning platform idea is also something that hasn't been done in Smash before, and it makes Butter Building sound a bit more exciting.

Grass Land by Dairz

Popularity: 6/10

Total: 19/30

Cool! An old-school Kirby stage! Something, the franchise really needs in Smash Bros. I think. The Grassland sounds pleasant, but Dreamland 2 is not all that iconic as a whole when it comes to handheld Kirby games. Cameos by the Animal Friends are nice. The stage's layout is reminiscent of the SMW Yoshi's Island stage from Melee, which had issues with its walk-off ledges, but it's not big of an issue.

Fine Field by Ariand/AEM

Total: 21/30

And now we see submissions based on Kirby Triple Deluxe, which I have committed to not exposing myself to until the North American launch. I know Kirby games aren't spoilerific, but I like the level designs to be a surprise, so I've avoided watching most videos about it. Anyway, I have no way of really gaging the popularity of Fine Field, and you have every right to disagree with me on the popularity score. "Please understand." This stage feels like something Sakurai would put into a Kirby game. First, the location is gorgeous. Second, it has a Wispy Woods variant. I like how the Flowery Woods boss is more involved in the stage too.

Castle Dedede by josh bones

Creativity: 4/10

Total: 20/30

Looks like someone wants Bandana Dee to be playable. :p Well, it was difficult judging this one because the description wasn't very detailed. Next time, try writing more about the stage's layout, or draw a crude picture of what you think the layout should be. Luckily, Castle Dedede is quite a popular location.

Milky Way Wishes by Violenceman

So much variation in this one! I would have never thought of a traveling stage for Milky Way Wishes. I almost wish it were in the Wii U version to see it in HD. By the way, walk off platforms hurt playability scores in the criteria I'm following. Not much else to say besides that. Great effort!

Bubbly Clouds by Croco

Total: 23/30

Another great idea, Croco! It sounds like a stage I'd often like to play on. Kracko attacking other boss characters in the background instead of attacking players is a relief, and serves as a humorous distraction just for the sake of distracting. The layout and imagining out this stage would play out in motion is what makes this submission really shine.

Kirby Fighters by Capps

Popularity: 7/10

When you can't pick just one Kirby location to make a stage out of, you transform a game mode into a stage and have it transform! Interesting thinking. So it includes Fine Field, Castle Lololo, Another Dimension (Return to Dreamland), Dedede's Boxing Ring, and whatever the hammer place is based off of. Craziness. It seems very fun, as any of these stages could be made into individual stages.

Sleepy Red Canyon by 9Volt

This stage gives me warm feelings inside, and I haven't even played Dreamland 2. For those who have played Dreamland 2, they'll love it. I think that it would have perhaps benefitted from being smaller. Each segment, I feel, has too much empty space compared to large stages like Temple and New Port City. Vertical scrolling also cut into your playability score, but overall you did a great job.

Dedede Towers by stan423321

Popularity: 7/10
Playability: 5/10

That whole door thing is a new mechanic alright, so you win points for that. The location is also good for representing Dedede and the Dark Matter Trilogy that started on the handhelds. It may be too hazardous and confusing though if the transition from the bottom of the stage to the top is super quick. The biggest problem is whenever the player enters the top through the door of the opposite side of the stage. If they hold their direction to get through the window too long, they'll end up walking towards the wall when they enter on the opposite side and might get ambushed from that mistake.

Dedede's Throne Room by Sobreviviente

BridgesWithTurtles' Grades:
Mirror World by PixelPasta
Popularity:
7/10
Ah, so we start with one of my favorite Kirby games. The Mirror World hub is definitely the best choice for a stage from this title, so you scored well in popularity. The various enemies popping out of the mirror portals is a fun little gimmick that shows you have the creativity to come up with a stage event that doesn't necessarily happen in the source game, but still makes sense. The overall layout doesn't appeal to me much, however. Too high of a ceiling and too many platforms would make this stage a nightmare to play on at times.

The Arena by BigAxle
Popularity:
8/10
Creativity: 5/10
The Arena does appear in the (now apparently definitive) handheld version of the game, so no points docked there. This entry is a pretty straightforward stage. It's essentially the Arena transplanted in all of its original glory. The fact that you specified the blast zone properties and stage size is something I really appreciate. Not much else to say, really. It's a pretty simple concept that probably could use a bit more terraforming, but otherwise, it succeeds in being a fun, playable locale.

Butter Building by evildevil97
Popularity:
9/10
Total: 28/30
An excellent score here for such a simple stage. While Butter Building is a pretty safe play to make, that also gives it major backing in popularity. Instead of just picking the stage because of how iconic it is, however, you actually worked off of the original and memorable camera panning to create a new stage gimmick that is both freshly creative and fun to imagine. I wouldn't be surprised if we actually have a stage like this appear in future games in the series. The gimmick makes a lot of sense and wouldn't interfere with the gameplay that much. I was considering taking a few points off, but it did technically appear in the game's GBA remake, so I'll let it pass.

Grass Land by Dairz
Popularity:
6/10
The Dreamland games are sadly overlooked, and fittingly, this stage comes off as a tribute to them, featuring the long-abandoned animal friends and basing its aesthetic off of the particularly memorable grassland locations. It's a simple walk-off location that reminds me of other grassy stages with retro sources; it fits in right at home with Green Greens, Green Hill Zone, and Mushroom Kingdom II.

Fine Field by Ariand/AEM
Popularity:
7/10
I really like the layout of this stage, amounting to what is essentially a walk-off Battlefield. In this regard, it reminds me of that one SSE stage where Mario and Pit fight Link and Yoshi. Using yet another Whispy location is a bit redundant, in my honest opinion, but you at least use a nice variation that offers up some new gimmicks, even if the wind returns.

Castle Dedede by josh bones
Popularity:
9/10
Creativity: 2/10
Playability: 1/10
Total: 12/30
A good choice for a stage, but your entry is in severe need of detail. I almost thought that you had forgotten to finish your post. Sorry man, but the lack of any sort of layout or concrete appearance for the stage makes it suffer a lot in the creativity department. I actually gave you a 1 in playability because there's no real way to even know if it's playable or not. I can't really judge what isn't there.

Milky Way Wishes by Violenceman
Popularity:
9/10
Total: 25/30
I was really impressed with this stage, as I can tell that you put a lot of time and effort into it. This is a very charming entry, with a great devotion to detail in replicating the original sub-game in all of its excellence. I love how it borrows ideas from Delfino Plaza, which allows the stage to be simple yet variable, ensuring a fun battle that stays fresh as the fight rages on.

Bubbly Clouds by Croco
Popularity:
7/10
Another unconventional entry by our first winner. Bubbly Clouds is a fun new twist on the scrolling/transitioning stage concept, sort of blending the two in a very workable marriage. It's nothing revolutionary, but it's definitely in good taste. The stage layout is something new, and the way in which you adapted the original location's terrain into a Smash arena is of commendable effort. I can tell you put a lot of thought and time into this one.

Kirby Fighters by Capps
Popularity:
7/10
Playability: 5/10
Thank you for your contribution, Capps. Kirby Fighters is a stage I expected to see this round, and I'm not surprised to see you be the one to deliver it. In a sort of mixture of Delfino Plaza and Wario Ware, Kirby Fighters keeps the action fresh throughout the battle, which is nice. Can't say I'm too fond of the Lolo and hammer phases, however, due to how powerful their hazards are in combination with the congested layout of the stage during these times.

Sleepy Red Canyon by 9volt
Popularity:
5/10
Wow, the dream windows are the kind of idea that comes around once in a blue moon. Very creative. Much like Dairz's Grass Land, this stage is a practical love letter to the Dreamland games - the animal buddies in particular. I love how you use the animals' dreams to represent all three of them and scroll through some of the best moments of the game. The stage does fall short in terms of playability by having such a massive main phase and two scrolling segments, but the lack of real hazards prevents this problem from eating too much of your score.

Dedede Towers by stan43321
Popularity:
9/10
Total: 25/30
I'm noticing a lot of Dreamland tributes here (this entry is fine, since it originated it Dreamland 2). This is what I imagine josh bone's stage was attempting to be like. You incorporate warping pathways, something that hasn't been seen since the N64 Mushroom Kingdom stage, and I like it. It's a pretty simple stage, so there's not much I have to say about it. There'd probably be some problems with walls and camping.

Dedede's Throne Room by Sobreviviente
Popularity:
9/10
Creativity: 2/10
Total: 18/30
I'm sorry to inform you that the "Alfonzo gimmick" doesn't award creativity points from me. But seriously, I think it was a good idea to take inspiration from the Kirby anime, since Sakurai and Hal Labs don't seem averse to it themselves. That being said, simply transplanting the throne room and leaving it at that leaves much to be desired. It's a walk-off stage with no platforms, the occasional enemy hazard, and some boss appearances, but none of it is new. You also don't specifiy how powerful the hazards are, which makes it difficult to judge playability.

Ascended's Grades:
Kirby 3DS Stages
PixelPasta/Mirror World
Total: 26/30
Comments: Great idea to use a hub world as a stage! I don't think something like this has
been done in Smash Bros before, so props for that. I took a smidge off of popularity
because I don't think Amazing Mirror is one of the "big games" in the franchise, but I like
the creativity!

BigAxle/The Arena
Comments: Your idea makes me wonder why Smash hasn't done this sooner. What with
being a reocurring place in the series and a fighting arena to boot. I'd totally play on this
and I like the idea of multiple arenas. Took some points off for the enemies, but I'll admit
they probably aren't they much of a hinderance. Good job!

evildevil97/Butter Building
Comments: Not bad for a first entry! I gave you lots of popularity points because Kirby's
Adventure is one of those "big games" (It introduced Kirby's copy power and got a
remake), plus Butter Building had a song in Brawl. I would have liked a bit more
creativity, or maybe a more in depth explanation though.

Dairz/Grass Land
Total: 27/30
Comments: Cool idea! I've been playing a lot of Dreamland 2 recently, so this was nice
to see. I like that you brought in the animal companions, which we haven't seen in
general for a while. They did have trophies and stickers so we know they aren't totally
forgotten. I'd be totally down with this stage being the Kirby stage for the next game!

Ariand/AEM (Fine Field)
Comments: Very creative, and I like that it harkens back to N64 Dreamland. I took a bit
off of popularity being the newest Kirby game and all. Other than that, a good solid
stage.

josh bones/Castle DeDeDe
Popularity: 10/10
Total: 25/10
Comments: This is the stage I would go with if I could enter the contest. A very iconic
location, but I needed a lot more creativity. I think that having Bandanna Dee there is
cool, but some more ideas could have boosted your score.

Violenceman/Milky Way Wishes
Popularity: 10/10
Total: 29/30
Comments: Wow! An excellent idea with a lot of thought put into it! Super Star is one of
the most popular Kirby games, and Milky Way Wishes was basically the major part of
Super Star, so maximum popularity there. I like that you managed to work in all the
planets! This stage would be awesome to see on the 3DS.

Croco/Bubbly Clouds
Comments: Cool idea! It's like you rook a boss fight and worked it into a stage. I like
the idea of the bosses fighting each other in the background, gives it a nice touch.

Capps/Kirby Fighters
Comments: This was a cool idea with a lot of thought and explanation put into it. Had to
take some points off popularity, but there's a lot of creativity and I like that multiple
stages were worked into it. Basically, you took a game mode and made it a stage.
That's cool!

9Volt/Sleepy Red Canyon
Comments: Again, nice use of the animal buddies! Also, very creative on making their
dreams the different parts of the stage. This would be very interesting to see on the 3DS,
mybe even some cool 3D effects with stuff from the dreams popping out. I'd vote this as
the most creative stage in the contest.

stan423321/DeDeDe Towers
Comments: Cool idea and nice points. I like that you worked in the different towers!
Not much to say other than that.

Sobreviviente/DeDeDe's Throne Room
Total: 24/10
Comments: I hope you don't feel too bad about my grades here. While it's a solid stage
all around, I didn't feel like there was much to set it apart from the other stages.
References to the anime are cool, so M&Ms for that.

FINAL SCORES:
PixelPasta: 98
BigAxle: 96
evildevil97: 105
Dairz: 89
Ariand/AEM: 93
josh bones: 80
Violenceman: 107
Croco: 104
Capps: 93
9Volt: 97
stan423321: 98
Sobreviviente: 87

THIS GAME'S WINNER IS:
VIOLENCEMAN!

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Oof. Not a good round for me, enemy concept was a bad idea. I'll be sure to certainly try much harder on this one. Will the round start today?

Kudos to Violenceman on victory, however.

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Surprised I hit silver for my first attempt. Winner was well deserved, however.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Oh well, it was my first try after all. "Practice makes perfect", right? Grats to Violenceman, your concept was awesome.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Woohoo!

Thanks, gang! I'm glad everyone liked the stage; Kirby Super Star has always been one of my favorite platformer games of all time, and when trying to think of a good iconic area or moment, Milky Way Wishes stood out to me with it's varied locations and unique mechanics. I couldn't decide on one planet to use, since it really relies on the whole package to work, so I figured why not make it a traveling stage that represents the whole of the sub-game.

I didn't really consider beforehand how tough it would be to come up with seven different stage concepts/layouts for one entry. Originally, I was going to include Cavius, ???, and Nova Core as planets as well, but that would have been beyond masochistic, so I went for the six that would stand out the most from one another and would actually translate into a fun and playable stage (I don't even want to go into how annoying and unplayable my concept for Nova Core would have been). It was exhausting, but I enjoyed putting it together.

Looking forward to the next stage!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
There was a slight delay with grading this time that I apologize for. I came down with a little bug that I'm well on my way recovering from, but I can gladly say that everyone got their actual grades done in a timely manner, so I commend the other judges for working diligently to keeping the contest running.

Will the round start today?
As usual, we'll give it about a day to allow for everyone to let the impact of their loss sink in everyone dwell on the results for a bit.

Congrats and thanks to all who participated this round. I believe there was a lot of creativity this time that made judging these submissions even more fun than the last round.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Didnt expect to win (is the anime duh) but is funny how some thinks my stage design is simple compared to others xD

I personally thinks croco brought the best stage of the round but congrats violenceman :B

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
good job, violenceman!

also, good job to everyone else! you all worked hard and put forth great effort!

i'm sick of sitting out a round, so please don't make the next one fire emblem! :c

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I wonder what the next round is... DK? Pokemon? Those two seem likely in my eyes. Or a third party stage.

josh bones

Smash Lord
I can't believe I did that well for my first try, if it's pokemon next round ill do way better

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

Alright...starting next round! Join even if you don't know the words!
Donkey Kong (WiiU)

It's time to take it to the fridge and bring this franchise out of hibernation with an HD tribute to your favorite vacation spot in the DK Isles! Where will your stage idea end up? NOT on 32 bit, NOT on 32X adapters, NOT on SEGA. It's HD, and it's only on Wii U! How high can you get!? The Donkey Kong series has had the most presence on home consoles, so there's quite a lot of material to draw from, but remember, that also leaves a lot of room for originality, so do your best to stand out!

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Alright...starting next round! Join even if you don't know the words!
Donkey Kong (WiiU)

It's time to take it to the fridge and bring this franchise out of hibernation with an HD tribute to your favorite vacation spot in the DK Isles! Where will your stage idea end up? NOT on 32 bit, NOT on 32X adapters, NOT on SEGA. It's HD, and it's only on Wii U! How high can you get!? The Donkey Kong series has had the most presence on home consoles, so there's quite a lot of material to draw from, but remember, that also leaves a lot of room for originality, so do your best to stand out!
DANG IT!!

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Sunset Shore- "So how about that silhouette effect?"
Name of Stage: Sunset Shore

Game of Origin: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Description: Sunset Shore is easily the most iconic stage from this game as to how memorable the aesthetics and the graphics were compared to the other levels. The silhouette design was absolutely beautiful for the Wii Console.

This Stage is set on a large rock in the middle of the beach. Much like Jungle Japes, the player may swim through the water. There is no current, though Awks (the bird enemy) will appear in the ocean and heavily damage players who linger, causing a meteor effect and likely a KO.

In the background of this stage, the other side of the beach can be seen. In this area, many enemies and collectibles may appear, such as Tiki Goons, Frogoons, Hopgoons, Mimics for enemies; Cranky Kong can be found running through the stage attempting to collect Bananas and Banana Coins; If DK is not being played, he will appear alongside Cranky. In addition, on the opposite side, one can find large mountains shrounded in this sillouette filter. Straight in the middle is a simple ocean, however. This makes it so characters are visible and the stage is playable.

Blast Zones: All- though to get KO'd down you have to drown or be hit by an Awk.
Ceiling: Medium
Width: Medium
Size Relative to Battlefield: About the same.

Design Layout: http://i60.tinypic.com/349fpes.png

Gimmicks/Hazards: The Main gimmick of this stage is the simple aesthetics. All characters will turn into a silhouette design barring a few elements to keep them noticeable. Since the stage is not marred with too much obstruction, it’s still very playable. Tourney? Not, but still a fun and interesting stage.

For Hazards, there is one. The Awks will sometimes appear drifting in the ocean. If a player engages in contact, they will be slammed down with a meteor beak strike and likely will be KOed. It is the same effect as drowning.

Example of the silhouette effect on Diddy Kong: http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/3130/al1107052006binout.jpg

Awk: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110125143106/donkeykong/images/9/90/Awk.png

Unlockable?: Given the fact that DK characters nor their stages don’t typically need to be unlocked, not really, it’s a starter.

Extra:

Graphics/Visuals- The main effect of the visuals is the silhouette filter. This turns characters mostly black and a primary color for their outfit to retain visibility.

Filter effect of the stage: http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/Donkey Kong Country Returns/sunsetshores31.png

Music: This stage has more mellow, peaceful tunes to battle to. The stage is more serene and captivating than other stages but keeps a fighting undertone with slightly more quick tunes.
Sunset Shore [Returns]
Bramble Blast (Fits the overall mood) [Brawl version; Diddy Kong's Quest]
Busted Bayou [Tropical Freeze]
Aquatic Ambience [Tropical Freeze]
Jungle Japes [Melee version; Country I]

I'M GONNA BE A STAR!

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
I've only played Tropical Freeze, I guess I'm looking there for inspiration..

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I've only played Tropical Freeze, I guess I'm looking there for inspiration..
You won't see me complaining about that, Tropical Freeze probably has like 40% of the best, most captivating locations from the DK series.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
You won't see me complaining about that, Tropical Freeze probably has like 40% of the best, most captivating locations from the DK series.
But Sunset Shore... which started that DK silhouette craze in Returns. :urg:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Well I'm not sure what the best locations are for the series, but I have an idea for a stage involving the Bright Savannah island.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
DK's Banana Horde (Donkey Kong Country)

Based loosely off a full banana horde from DKC.

At its bases, this stage appears as nothing more than a generic cavern, with a huge stack of bananas which act as a large platform. However, this is a very popular destination from some of DK's enemies, since they want those bananas! As a whole, this the basic layout. There is an "exit" on the right, but from a gameplay standpoint, it's unusable. The banana pile, as mentioned, can be climbed up and down like stairs, but when on them, it acts like an icy surface - really slippery. The main quirk of the stage, however, comes to intruders. Every now and then, various creatures from DK games come by, from the left and try to steal the bananas. Only one enemy can appear at a time. Most of the creatures can be killed and thrown at enemies, though they have different properties. If the enemies are repeatedly successful at bringing bananas to the "exit", however, the banana pile will begin to shrink. If there are no more bananas left, the enemies will stop coming, and the empty area will be a slippery surface that has an 80% chance of tripping if fought on.

DKStageLayout.png

The enemies that come in to steal bananas are:

Kritter (DKC) - Basic enemy and most frequent spawn. Relatively slow-moving. Grabs a small amount of bananas. Can be defeated by any attack, and also by being jumped on.
Krusha (DKC) - Stronger and slower. Takes a larger amount of bananas, and can only be defeated by any strong attack, a heavy projectile, or an explosion.
Knocka (DKC3) - The barrel enemy. Grabs a small amount of bananas. Can be defeated by strong attacks, most projectiles, explosions, or simply by being jumped on.
Zinger (DKC) - Flying bees. Takes the smallest amount of bananas. Can only be defeated with a projectile.
Tiki Doom (DKCR) - Large Tiki enemies. Takes a medium amount of banans. Can only be defeated with projectiles or by being jumped on, though it takes three hits. Each hit will bring some bananas back into the pile, however.
Tiki Torch (DKCR) - Small Tiki set on fire. Takes a small amount of bananas. Will cause a small amount of damage when touched directly. Ice attacks are the only way to put out the fire, however it can be defeated by any projectile attack except fire.
Ninjape (Jungle Beat) - Very quick apes. Takes a larger amount of bananas and quickly runs towards the exit. It will throw shurikens at anyone in its way. A jump or a projectile will defeat it. It will counter any melee attack.
Cranky Kong - Not an enemy, obviously. Sometimes, he spawns just to check up on the pile. He'll react differently based on the size of the pile, but the reactions have no effect of gameplay. He will exit from the same side of the stage he entered.

Unlockable?: Nope.

My Music:
Theme - Donkey Kong Country
Welcome to Crocodile Isle - DKC2
DK's Cave - Donkey Kong Country (Original SNES version)
Donkey Kong's Jungle Parkway - Mario Kart 64
DK's Jungle Adventure - Mario Party
A rock or metal remix of Diddy Kong Racing - Windmill Plains
Ship Deck (Brawl)
Opening - Donkey Kong (Brawl)
Kongo Jungle (Melee) / DK Rap
Super Mario World - Vanilla Dome

...I'm deliberately avoiding references to Tropical Freeze, as the game is so new it'll likely get passed up anyway.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
BRAMBLE BLAST
Game of Origin: DKC2/DKCTF

Description: Bramble Blast takes place in the bramble levels of DKCTF. While the brambles exist in the background, there aren't actually any that can harm you. Instead, there are barrels, which act similar to the barrels in previous DK levels like Kongo Jungle. However, unlike Kongo Jungle, these aren't only limited to below the platform. They'll also be overhead, in positions where you can shoot yourself at the opponent.

Layout: As we've seen before in levels like Arena Ferox and the Animal Crossing stage, stages aren't necessarily limited to one layout anymore. This stage is not an exception, and makes good use of it considering it's not likely any other levels will use barrels. These two layouts are selected in a similar way to the two styles of Mushroomy Kingdom in Brawl.
The first of its two layouts is a large flat platform, with three barrels above and one below. The three barrels above are in a layout similar to Battlefield. The two on the left and right will spin freely, allowing you to shoot yourself in any direction. The one on top will click between three directions. It will either face either of the two barrels, or directly below itself. The barrel below acts exactly the same as the one in Kongo Jungle.
The second of the two layouts has one large platform and two smaller ones. The two smaller ones are on either side of the large platform. There are also two barrels, which are located directly above the two platforms. These barrels will move up and down in a straight line, and do not spin. After you shoot out of one, it locks in place until someone enters the barrel again.

(Keep in mind that the bramble below the platforms do not hurt you, they're just there for aesthetic)

Barrels and How They Work: Barrels have existed in Smash Bros before. When you enter one, they move around and spin, and then you can shoot out as you please. But I have changed how they work slightly. Entering a barrel doesn't put you on a time limit, and you can stay in there as long as you want. However, opponents can rack up your damage, and if they hit the barrel with a move of enough knockback, they can also knock you right out. This is to prevent stalling in between barrels.
In previous games, barrels put you in a state similar to being hit by a forceful attack. In this stage however, you will have access to all of your moves the second you shoot yourself from the barrel. All that barrels do in this game is adjust your momentum so that you speed by in a straight line until you lose speed.. Also, shooting yourself into an opponent without actually attacking will do nothing. Keep in mind that after entering a barrel, you cannot get out without shooting yourself.
These barrels open up a lot of new strategies, and are what make the stage unique from others.

Unlockable?: Yes, it would be unlockable.

Extra: Visually, it looks similar to DKCTF's bramble levels. The mock-up pictures were just made out of convenience.

Music -
Stickerbush Symphony (DKCTF)
Cannon Canyon
Alpine Incline
Rocket Barrel
Life in the Mines Returns
Forest Interlude
Stickerbush Symphony (DKC2)
Bramble Blast (Brawl)

Last edited:

bentendo222

Smash Apprentice

Autumn Heights

Game of origin: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Description: Autumn Heights is the 2nd island the Kongs travel to on their way to reclaim their island. This island includes some very beautiful locations such as Windmill Hills and Mountain Mania. The stage will start off on a small hill with a windmill with 4 platforms in the center like this.
Autumn Heights 1.png
About 30 seconds into the match, a penguin enemy in the background runs toward the windmill with a watermelon bomb and throws it, blowing up the windmill and its platforms. a few seconds later an arrow pointing up will flash on screen signalling you to jump on a big floating platform with balloons attached (similar to Mute City or Rumble Falls) The platform will float through the sky and eventually land on a partially broken wooden bridge with an owl shaped volcano in the background. The platform will float away and the clouds will darken. The volcano erupts and another signal to get on the floating platform appears on screen as lava rocks hit the bridge causing the whole bridge to collapse. The platform will to start move up rapidly through the clouds. The platform will slow down as it reaches an area above the clouds with a bunch of owl mountains like this (also the platform in this picture is what the players fight on throughout the match, but a little bit wider than what is shown)
As it travels through the sky at a moderate pace, balloons will occasionally float by (like the small red one at the bottom of the picture) and act as a platform to save the player from losing a life. Finally, the platform will float down below the clouds, and a signal (this time an arrow pointing down) flashes on screen to get off the platform and land back where the stage started (the windmill is rebuilt)

Gimmicks/Hazards: Not many hazards in this level, the bomb that blows up the windmill doesn't hurt anyone. The lava rocks coming from the volcano can cause quite a lot of damage if you're not careful. And in the sky section, a bunch of Hootz (pictured below) will fly across the screen damaging players in the way.

Also, if you don't jump on or off the floating platform when you're supposed to, it's an instant KO (not surprising)
Unlockable?: Yes, Play as Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong 10 times each.

Extra: The graphics of this stage will look slightly better than Tropical Freeze. Aside from the Hootz that attack players, their are some that can be see in the background (and sometimes their leader Skowl can be seen as well)
Music
Mountain Mania
Wing Ding
Snowmads' Theme
Golden Temple
Enchanted Riverbank
(this is all I could think of now)

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Savannah Cycle
Game of Origin: Donkey Kong County: Tropical Freeze

Description: The Bright Savannah island from Tropical Freeze, full of grassy plains and tall grass. There is a transition gimmick similar to Castle Siege. There are three different levels with the transitions, and the match cycles between them in a set order.

Graphical representation:
savannahcycle.png

( the black platform in Grassland Groove can be dropped through, I just messed up when making the picture)

Grassland Groove:
There is a large platform at the bottom, that rocks from the left to the right every 5 seconds. There is a large floating platform in the middle, with a dancing tree leaning to the left, creating platforms with its branches. (The platforms don’t move) All the platforms can be dropped through except the bottom one.

Scorch ‘N’ Torch:
There’s one large main base, with lower floors slightly below it. Above the lower floors are leaf platforms, which crumble shortly after being stood on. They grow back after 5 seconds. Fire rages in the background.

Twilight Terror:
Ground can be found on the right, with water taking up the rest of the screen. A floating platform rests on the water. Of course, players can swim and drown in the water. Some tiki torches shine light at the end of the land.

Gimmicks/Hazards: The match always begins on Grassland Groove, and after 30 seconds the stage cycles to the next. During the transition, the stage becomes a giant invisible platform, like Castle Siege, for 5 seconds. The background during the transition is like the loading screen for Bright Savannah. (Scrolling silhouettes of trees and grass with an orange background)

Grassland Groove has no hazards. For Scorch ‘N’ Torch, the lower floors will heat up where touched after a second, causing slight damage and medium knockback. In Twilight Terror, a fish enemy will occasional appear in the water, causing decent damage and little knockback.

Unlockable: Nope.

Music: Changes to match whatever level players are fighting on; each level has its own music.
Grassland Grove:
Grassland Grove
Alps Hill
Peaceful Pier
Scorch ‘N’ Torch:
Scorch 'N' Torch
Krazy Kart
Gloomy Galleon
Twilight Terror:
Stickerbrush Symphony
Stickerbrush Symphony (DKC 2)
Aquatic Ambience

Edit: Sweet stages so far, you guys are tough competition.

Last edited:

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Ever since the first Donkey Kong Country game, the element most associated with the series was the mine cart stages. With that in mind...
Name of Stage: Mine Cart Madness
Game of Origin: Donkey Kong Country
Description: The stage takes place inside of an abandoned mine along two sets of mine cart rails, one high and one low. On each one is a single forward-moving mine cart that has a platform of wooden planks hastily tied and bolted to the top of it. The platform extends out past the edges of the actual cart; you could just about fit four Bowsers end-to-end on each platform. In addition to each mine cart being on a different track, they differ horizontally too; one is always first (more to the right) and the other is second (more to the left), although which cart is which can change.

The stage captures the madcap speed of the DKC mine cart stages, but the speed is purely visual; the constant movement forward does not affect jumping or knockback. Players can jump from mine cart to mine cart and recover normally as if the platforms were stationary. The speed is instead reflected in quick moving background and foreground effects.

MineCartMadness.jpg

The wooden platforms can be passed through and are the only solid elements on the stage; the rails and mine carts themselves will not interact with the characters.

Gimmicks/Hazards: The platforms may not be effected by the motion of the stage, but that does not mean they are always in the same place! The default starting position is for the upper track cart to be to the right (Players 1 and 3 start here) and the bottom track cart to be to the left (Players 2 and 4 start here). From here, they will continue to zoom straight forward until one of the following events occur:
  • Kremling Bash: A larger mine cart with a Kremling in it will appear on the track behind the "second place" cart and catch up with the mine cart. The platform will topple the Kremling's cart off the track (with the Kremling falling arms flailing out of it) and the mine cart will receive a speed boost, pushing it ahead. The screen will seem to follow the sped up cart until it is further to the right, pushing the other cart back toward the left side of the screen. Functionally, the two carts basically trade positions horizontally, with the "second place" cart moving to "first place" and vice versa.
  • Track Switch: The upper track will suddenly slope downward at a 45 degree angle before flattening back out at the height of the bottom track. At the same time, the bottom tack slopes upward in a similar manner, with the two tracks meeting the middle (like an X). Visually, the top track cuts behind the bottom track when they intersect, although this has no impact on the depth of the platforms from a game play perspective. Functionally, the two carts basically trade positions vertically, with the upper track moving to bottom track height and vice versa.
  • Track Out: In this scenario, the upper path will suddenly run out of track, causing the cart to fly off the rails and land on the lower track (keeping the same "first place" / "second place" distance from one another). The stage will continue on just one track, until...
  • Big Ramp: This one will always (and only) follow the Track Out event. The single bottom track will suddenly curve upward into a ramp formation before cutting out completely. The two carts will zoom off the ramp and fly through the air in an arcing motion. As they come to the end of the arc, two more mine rails will appear from the right side. The first cart will land on the upper track and second cart will end up on the bottom track. the stage will then continue as normal.
  • Madcap Helix: The rarest of events, this scenario plays out just like the Track Switch event. However, instead of flattening out after switching places vertically, the tracks will switch places again. The two tracks will cross over five times in immediate succession before flattening back out again. Visually, the two tracks will alternate which is in front and which is behind, appearing like a helix.

Unlockable?: Nope, available from the start.

Extras: The lights in the background will flicker occasionally, which will reflect in the overall lighting for the stage; it will never get too dark to see, but it will dim for a bit before getting bright again. The Kremlings in the Kremling Bash scenario will randomly either be a Kritter, a Klump or a Krusha. In the background, you can sometimes catch Squawks and Quawks flying by.

Music:
Mine Cart Madness
Temple ~ DK Island Swing
Haunted Chase
Mine Menace
Fear Factory
Mine Cart Carnage
Mill Fever
Amiss Abyss

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Dino Domain: Hot Top Volcano
Game of Origin: Diddy Kong Racing/ Diddy Kong Racing DS

Description: The whole course depicted here, implemented a lot like your average F-Zero stage.
Players fight on a graphically enhanced and somewhat enlarged version of Taj the elephant genie's flying carpet. It is a little over 3 times the width of one of the planes seen in the video, making it roughly 5 times the width of your average character. Not a lot of room to fight on.

Flight Path: The path taken by Taj's carpet will alternate each lap.
Odd laps: Straight at the start, right tunnel, directly underneath the stalactite and left until the first hill, directly under the second stalactite, over the horizontal bar and low down the middle of the magma lake.
Even laps: Right round the outside at the start, left tunnel, banking round the stalactite to go through the tight walled section on the right, directly under the second stalactite, under the horizontal bar and low down the middle of the magma lake.

Gimmicks/Hazards: The fight takes place on a forward scrolling platform, as outlined above. Unlike on the F-Zero stage, however, it never stops.
There is no lower blast zone to this stage. Instead it is replaced with Brinstar-esque lava or moving (damaging) floor as necessary.
Plumes of lava will occasionally shoot up around the carpet (fixed schedule) but never hit it, only players that are off the sides.
The Pterodactyls are more frequent in the smash version of this stage, to make up for the lack of other players, but do nothing more than the shyguys in Melee Yoshi's Story do when items are off.
The longneck will act as an additional platform while on screen, though this is only momentary.
Inside the tunnels near the start, the carpet extends to the sides, leaving only the top half playable. Players will rebound at high speed off the walls but no death is possible during this section.
In both cases where the carpet is beneath a stalactite, it will just touch the carpet, preventing players from crossing the middle of it and potentially delaying play. Again, this is a high rebound wall.
Inside the narrow section, we again have high rebound walls but star KOs are possible.
The horizontal bar also causes high rebound.
The screen is focused such that star KOs are not prevented anywhere but the tunnels near the start of each lap, the starting line and the bit with the horizontal bar on even laps.
Likewise, side KOs are only prevented by the tunnels and the narrow section, though the column near the start will prevent KOs on one side, depending on the lap.

Overview: A gimmicky stage that will get very chaotic in multiplayer. This stage exists to be a faithful representation of its game that provides fun and entertainment in true SSB style, not a fair or tournament viable location.

Unlockable: Yes
Finish a game in under 30 seconds with any Donkey Kong character.

Music:

Main Theme
Hot Top Volcano
Taj's Challenge
Strangled Shrine (DS)
Wish Race (Medley)
Thunder Cove (DS)

Last edited:
Top Bottom