• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Rounds are usually 5 days long, so you should have about 2 days left.
This. If you ever need a quick response when pondering how much more time you have, you can always take a look at the date of the "round starting" post we provide, and do the math from there.

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
(First time entering, hoping for the best! And hoping this counts.)

Ladies and gentlemen, who's ready to PARTY?

Stage Name: Mario Party 2
(Technically the location is called "Mario Land", but I don't want to confuse it for... well, Super Mario Land)

Description: This is a multi-level stage that goes through each of the various boards from Mario Party 2 (except Bowser Land). Each board has it's own layout and hazards, opting for many different combat scenarios. The stage will linger on any one board for 1 minute, before moving onto the next board (before you ask: Castle Siege style, not Delfino Plaza style)

Board #1: Pirate Land!

In Pirate land, you fight atop two of the board's Islands. The black lines indicate the areas you can stand on. You can also stand on the bridge, but more on that in a sec. As you can see, the bottom of the stage is covered in water. This water behaves like the water on the Pirate ship stage - You can swim in it, but not for too long. The gimmick for this stage is, at a random point, a pirate ship will show up in the background, shooting the bridge between the islands. Any player on the bridge will take 20% damage, and the bridge will be destroyed. As for aesthetics, the thwomp shown will move up and down, like in the games. Also, the shark from the board will occasionally swim along the foreground.

After a minute on this board, we move on to the next board - Western Land!

For Western Land, you'll fight on one of the train stations. Once again, the black lines show where you can stand. The two roof platforms (on the red parts) can be dropped through, and the stage has walk-off edges. The gimmick for this board is that, 30 seconds into the stage, the clock will hit 12:00 noon. Once that happens, Steamer the Train will come careening across the bottom of the board, and basically 1HKO anyone in his path.

After a minute on this board, we move on to board 3: Space Land!

In Space Land, you'll fight atop pretty much the entire board. Yet again, Black lines are where you can stand. The yellow platform is the space-cruising thwomp, and he moves back and forth along the top of the board, as indicated by the arrow. And yes, you can drop through the moving platform. The gimmick for this board is the countdown clock at the bottom of the stage. After a random amount of time, it will start to count down to zero. Once it gets to zero, the Bowser satellite in the background will fire a laser at the point marked by the red X - Instant KO to anyone in that spot. Aesthetics here include the snifit patrol floating throught the background, chasing a speeding whomp.

Once more, when a minute has passed, the stage moves on to board number 4: Mystery Land!

(Please note: Spaceship does not initially start on the board)

For Mystery Land, the battle takes place on the mysterious Mushroom Stone Henge. Do I need to say what the black lines indicate? Well, I will say that the platforms atop the Stonehenge are drop-through ones. The gimmick on this board is the spaceship. After a random amount of time (between 10 & 30 seconds), the bomb-omb spaceship will come, moving along the path the arrows indicate. It's possible to drop through the spaceship, but be wary: at a random point after arriving, the spaceship will leave, travelling upwards, and KOing anyone still on top of the ship (like the arwings in Corneria).

After one more minute here, the stage moves on to the final board: Horror Land!

...wait, what? This doesn't look very horrifying! This is just the Mystery Mansion, and during the Day, no less! Give it time, for I will explain. You know what the black lines are, and the ones on the roof can be dropped through. The bottom of the stage is walk-off edges. The gimmick here is that, 30 seconds in, Magikoopa comes in and lights the Darkness Lamp, and the stage changes from day to night. When this happens, the mansion rebuilds itself, and a ton of boos lift the mansion into the sky, making it look more like this:

Ah, that looks more horrifying! Beware, because now there's no ground to stand on! Stay on the roof and try not to fall off! Aesthetics here include boos floating through the background.

Then after one minute, the stage goes back to Pirate Land, and the loop starts all over!

Unlockable: Nah, give it to the players upfront.

Music:

Faster Than All (Mario Party)
Bowser's Theme (Mario Party 2)
In the Mushroom Forest (Mario Party)
Banzai Bill's Mad Mountain (Mario Party Island Tour)

That's my stage, hope you all enjoy it!

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
@ TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict I really enjoy the idea of your stage. One of my favorite parts of Mario Party 2 was the costumes each character had. Would it be too much of a pain on the game for the four characters to also have extra hats? I know that'd screw with the costumes and stuff but imagine Greninja wearing a pirate hat

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
@ TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict I really enjoy the idea of your stage. One of my favorite parts of Mario Party 2 was the costumes each character had. Would it be too much of a pain on the game for the four characters to also have extra hats? I know that'd screw with the costumes and stuff but imagine Greninja wearing a pirate hat
Now I want Ridley wearing the Pangoro hat from XY.
(First time entering, hoping for the best! And hoping this counts.)

Ladies and gentlemen, who's ready to PARTY?

Man, I love your concept, but we're gonna do a Mario spinoffs round :c This one's for the adventure games and RPGs...you can save it for the spin-off round, though.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Sorry, I don't think this qualifies for this round.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Man, I love your concept, but we're gonna do a Mario spinoffs round :c This one's for the adventure games and RPGs...you can save it for the spin-off round, though.
Oops, didn't see that :/

It's fine, I'll just try thinking of a different stage. And I'll definitely save this one for the Mario Spinoff Round!

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Ok, I went and made a more rules appropriate stage! Before I begin though: Judges, do you want me to delete my original stage posting? Or should I just leave it?

Now then, Take Two!

Let me introduce, from one of my favorite Mario games... Lineland Road!

Name: Lineland Road

Game: Super Paper Mario

Description:

The stage starts out fairly basic. It's a large platform with a pillar in the middle, with two floating platforms on the sides. The black lines indicate where you can stand, and the floating platforms can be dropped through. I should also mention that the orange parts represent blocks (they can't be broken, but they are blocks). Why do I bring this up? You see, after a random amount of time, Dimentio will enter the stage, and snap his fingers. When he does this, a box will form around the stage, and the stage...

...rotates.

Now, if you haven't played Super Paper Mario, you'll probably be confused about what I mean by "rotates". Heck, even if you have played it, how picture A gets to picture B could be a bit confusing for you. If this is the case, then watch 4:49 - 4:55 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EWZcTKn3D8 . You'll understand a little bit better.

Anyways, now (as you can see), the blocks are in completely different positions! Instead of one cenral pillar, we now have two pillars on either side of the stage, creating a nice little comboing area. Also, instead of two platforms on the left and right, we have one long platform created by joining the two, along with a smaller one that was left when the original pillar disbanded. The stage stays in this form for another random amount of time, before Dimentio comes back and switches it back to the first layout. He'll continue to switch the stage back and forth at random intervals.

Beyond that, there's only one other gimmick. Sometimes (far less commonly than Dimentio appears), the players will see Fracktail flying in the background. When this happens, Fracktail will come flying into the stage, doing heavy damage to anyone in his path. But what is that path? When the Stage is in the first position (1 pillar), Fracktail will fly right to left across the bottom of the stage. However, in the second stage position (2 pillars), he will come from the background to the foreground, hitting the area between the two pillars (he flies low enough that he will not hit the upper floating platform. He will, however, hit the lower one)

Aesthetically speaking, sometimes the pixels from the game will float by in the background or the foreground. That's it.

Unlockable?: Depends on whether or not Paper Mario is a playable character. If yes, then you have to play 20 matches as him. Otherwise, it's available from the start.

Music:

Lineland Road (Super Paper Mario)
I'm Not Nice/Mimi Battle (Super Paper Mario)
A Powerful Enemy Emerges (Super Paper Mario)
It's Showtime (Super Paper Mario)
Rogueport, Town of Thieves (Paper Mario: TTYD)
It's Battle Time! (Paper Mario: TTYD)

And that's new stage! I hope you all like it!

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Wow, as much as I severely disliked Super Paper Mario (Disappointing compared to 1 & 2, Though it was better than Sticker Star), I love your stage design. It's simple, yet with a gimmick, and it's well designed.

It's kinda a similar concept to the Parasite Queen stage + Spear Pillar x Paper Mario lol

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
@ TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict
Wow, as much as I severely disliked Super Paper Mario (Disappointing compared to 1 & 2, Though it was better than Sticker Star), I love your stage design. It's simple, yet with a gimmick, and it's well designed.

It's kinda a similar concept to the Parasite Queen stage + Spear Pillar x Paper Mario lol
:c Super Paper Mario rocks!

The MarioAddict, you can keep the post and use it for future reference! You made a stage from one of my favorite Mario games!

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
@ TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict Now that is some fast stage turn around time, especially for one with such a novel stage concept!
Funny thing is, I came up with that in a VERY short amount of time. I was GOING to make a stage based on Dire Dire Docks, but right before I posted it (and I do mean right before - I was halfway finished with making the post) I realized that we were allowed to use the Paper Mario games, and immediately thought of this stage. I scrapped the Dire Dire Docks one, and started making Lineland Road.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
How's the grading coming? We had a lot of good entries this time and I am excited to see what you guys thought.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
My anticipation is crazy high on this. Not only for the results but I also wanna know what the next category is lol

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm really looking forward to my grades because even the judges wanted to have a TTYD theater entry and I did one. But let's be honest would that be one of the best stages idea in ssb4? Remember "infinite potential"

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Curious to see who wins.

In unrelated news, I may or may not FIRE MY LAZOR if I don't win.

Just thought you should know.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Day 9

Then crowds are growing restless. The judges have yet to deliver their scores, and the people are losing their patience. Food supplies are running low, I don't know how much longer we can last. The last of the clean water was used up yesterday. Sickness is beginning to overtake us all. I hear talk of riots. The people in charge keep telling us that the scores will come soon, but I'm slowly losing faith, and I suspect they don't believe it either. Hopefully the scores will come soon, or else I fear what might happen to these good people.

God help us all if the scores don't come soon.

~Marioaddict's Log

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The last judge is partially finished. DON'T LOSE HOPE! THE END IS ON THE HORIZON.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
It's happening. Ready your bodies.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
DROPPING THE BOMBS!

Alright! Here are the mighty grades!​

[collapse=Ascended's Grades]Kevandre/Tick-Tock-Clock
Popularity: 4/5
Creativity: 9/10
Playbility: 8/10
Total: 21/25
Comments: Cool idea using Tick Tock Clock! I remember this as being one of the more creative and interesting stages from Mario 64, and it looks like you've managed to capture the essence of the stage. A nice, solid entry.

Dairz/Soda Jungle
Popularity: 3/5
Creativity: 8/10
Playability: 9/10
Total: 20/25
Comments: A stage from NSMBW would be pretty cool. World 5 seems a bit random for a location, but I like your ideas! Seems like it's be a simple stage to fight on, and it sounds well-balanced. Good entry.

Makaronileo/Bowser Doom Train
Popularity: 5/5
Total: 23/25
Comments: I haven't played Mario 3D World yet (I bought a copy, but since my Wii U is with my sister at the moment, I mailed it to her.) but I do know the "Bowser Hype Train" is a memorable part of the game. I also gave you full marks for popularity because this is the most recent Mario game (and will probably still hold that title at the time of Smash 4's release.) I like your idea of it being a transitional stage, and I think the gold train showing up every now and then would be cool as well. Great job!

aldelaro5/The Theater
Creativity: 10/10
Playability: 7/10
Total: 22/25
Comments: I hate to give such a low score in the playability, but the description sounds like they would be a lot of interference during the fight. HOWEVER, I do think this is an awesome stage, and being what it is, the interference would have to be a part of that stage. It's about time a Paper Mario stage made it into Smash Bros, and despite only beating the first Paper Mario (I've played them all, but I've only owned PM64 and Sticker Star, and I've only beaten PM64) I would be extremely satisfied to see this stage make it in.

Radical Beam/The Great Tower of Bowser Land
Comments: This stage gave conflicting feelings for me. On the one hand, this is from the most recent Mario game, and it's a final level (For the record, I love it when final levels/final boss arenas are stages), but on the other hand, it's a climbing stage. (I've never been a fan of those.) However, it is a cool idea, and it incorporates all the elements of the home game, so points for that. I think it's be cool to see it as an official stage.

crazyal02/Sunshine Secret
Playability: 8/10
Comments: This is another awesome idea! The secret stages were always the most popular (and in my opinion) best parts of Sunshine, and you've managed to capture the feeling of those stages perfectly. I would love for this to be an official stage!

Toxicroaker/Bob-Omb Battlefield
Total: 24/25
Comments: This is the best entry so far! Without a doubt, the second most iconic location in a Mario game (World 1-1 from Super Mario Bros being the first), and you included all the major areas of the stage! I think you deserve the win here, and I would LOVE for this to be an official stage!

Violenceman/Koopling Airship
Total: 24/25
Comments: This is another awesome idea! I agree with Radical Beam in that it was a great idea to take a moving stage and make it a large, stationary stage. I think it would be a lot of fun to play on, but if you end up winning again, we'll have to put you on probation or something!

TheMarioaddict/Lineland Road
Comments: This sounds like a really cool stage idea! I like how you incorporated the basic concept of Super Paper Mario into a stage! (These Paper Mario stages make me want to buy Thousand Year Door and SPM to complete my collection.) Again, I think it would be awesome if this was an official stage, and it would be a lot of fun to play on![/collapse]
[collapse=BridgesWithTurtles' Grades]Tick-Tock Clock by Kevandre
Popularity:
4/5
An excellent idea, here! I'm a strong supporter for another SM64 stage, and this would be a unique addition. We've never had any stage that was remotely clockpunk in aesthetic, before, so it's a unique design for sure. The way you worked the pendulum into the way the platforms function is really creative, and it's unlike anything we've really seen before, so props on that!

Soda Jungle by Dairz
Popularity:
3/5
Creativity: 7/10
Total: 19/25
Soda Jungle is a pretty basic stage. Very simple in layout and operation, it seems more fit to be a 3DS stage. Still, I'd welcome it with open arms on Wii U. I enjoy the basic layout, but the hazardous liquid, small size of the stage, and large Wiggler hazard come together to pose a small problem for playability. It's simply too crowded and claustrophobic. Thankfully, the Wiggler isn't always on-screen, and when it is around, it's pretty unique for a stage feature. I give the stage a pass in playability, though I wish the stage were just a little more unique overall.

Bowser Doom Train(s) by Makaronileo
Popularity:
3/5
Creativity: 6/10
Playability: 10/10
This stage is pretty unique, as far as location archetypes go. We've only seen one other train-based stage so far, and that one is far different in appearance. However, the "scrolling vehicle ride" stage design really isn't anything new, and your translation of the location from SM3DW to Smash Bros. doesn't bring anything special or unique to the formula. This all being said, it's perfectly balanced for general play, and is a pretty decently popular pick.

The Theater by aldelaro5
Popularity:
4/5
Playability: 4/10
Total: 18/25
I really wanted to give this stage a higher score, because what it does well, it does really well. On the other hand, however, it's really unplayable. This is ignoring the fact that it's a walk-off stage. Simply having all of these various hazards (items tosses, enemies, bosses, props, mist, Boos, etc.) makes this stage a madhouse. While I simply adore how much you adapted from the source game, I really think you could have toned that all down a bit while still retaining that 10 in creativity. You just got way too creative here, which hurts your stage's playability severely. As I said already, though, I love all of the little adaptations from the source material, and I think most of us here can agree that a stage with most of these elements would be an amazing arena to fight on in the actual game.

The Great Tower of Bowser Land by Radical Beam
Popularity:
3/5
Playability: 4/10
Total: 14/25
I really don't want to give the impression that I hate vertically scrolling stages (though they're not my preferred cup of tea), but this stage takes the concept too far, I think. The reason people tend to hate Rumble Falls is that you end up fighting the stage more than your enemies most of the time. Not only are players forced to fight their way up this stage, but the stage also fights them by throwing a highly powerful Bowser hazard at them constantly. While the stage isn't so bad once players reach the top, the first portion of the match is way too chaotic, I feel. Maybe the other judges feel differently, but this is my view of the subject. It's a good stage for what it's trying to be, but I don't really like what it is. I can't deny that the stage would be epic to fight on, however.

Sunshine Secret by crazyal02
Popularity:
4/5
Sunshine Secret is a neat little idea. It's not too ambitious, and it settles for being a pretty plain stage overall, but its platform gimmick is pretty darn unique, and it's certainly a memorable "location". I'd have to say that I'm a little disappointed that the rotating blocks don't incorporate those smaller structures that jut out from them, however. I could see them making the platform shape more unique, and it'd be interesting to see them rotate out of range and back into the plane of battle as the blocks spin. It'd make the stage a little more unique, which this entry could stand doing, given that rotating blocks and only rotating blocks leaves a bit to be desired. That being said, you still receive a 9 in creativity because rotating block platforms as the main basis of a stage is still plenty unique.

Bob-Omb Battlefield by Toxicroaker
Popularity:
5/5
Another SM64 stage that I'm quite fond of. Excellent idea, here! Bob-Omb Battlefield is particularly enjoyable because of the sheer amount of effort put into it. The various second phases of the stage are interesting in that they are selected at random, but only one appears per match. This gives the stage some excellent replay value, though it diminishes its use in competitive play, practically guaranteeing it'd be banned. That being said, all of the phases are perfectly balanced for general play, but are all unique enough to provide a lot of variety. It's a nostalgia-driven tour of the most memorable level of SM64, making it a great spiritual successor to Delfino Plaza that isn't afraid to try something different. The only part I'm not really a fan of is the way in which Big Bob-Omb is defeated. I don't feel as if he's really that necessary to begin with, actually.

Koopling Airship by Violenceman
Popularity:
5/5
The oh-so-common Airship stage, I see. You actually managed to sell me on this idea, which I previously reguarded as a boring possibility. 9/10 in creativity just for making a Temple-sized stage that's actually halfway playable. No, but seriously, great job on the very unique layout and in making such a large stage relatively enjoyable to envision playing on. The stage is still far too wide and congested to appeal to me personally, but it's still plenty playable, and the unique layout - how you translated the unique infrastructure of the airship levels into a stage - is really enjoyable. Good job on that.

Lineland Road by TheMarioaddict
Popularity:
3/5
Another Paper Mario stage, and I'm glad to see that this entry is just as strong as aldelaro5's. In fact, I give it a better score. While it's a less popular location from a less renowned game, your choice to keep things simple means that the stage's one main gimmick, the dimensional flipping, becomes a stronger element that keeps the stage consistent and simple. The stage is near perfectly playable on either phase. Your decision to play up SPM's most notable gameplay feature really stands out here, and the reference to the Fracktail boss fight is highly appreciated, giving the stage some nice fanservice to boot. This is easily a stage that I could see Sakurai himself including.[/collapse]
[collapse=Zzuxon's Grades]Kevandre- Tick Tock Clock

Creativity:10/10

Total:23/25

Comments:

This stage is absolutely brilliant. I love everything about it. First off, Tick Tock Clock is a very memorable level, for me and many others. Heck, it got a track in mario kart. As for playability, I think it’s great how you, in my view, both maintain the dynamic, ever-moving feel of TTC while still keeping it a fairly balanced, non-crazy stage. You say it wouldn’t be for tournaments, but i can see this as a CP. Creativity is your strongest suit here. The conveyor belt is good. The rotating platform is good. But by far the most creative thing is the clock mechanic. It is so much like TTC as well as bringing a very unique mechanic to the stage, and it brings me back to going into the clock face at exactly 12, so everything would stop moving. Lovely.

Dairz- Soda Jungle

Total: 17/25

Total: I like the location here, as the “purple chemical death” style stages have become a mario staple at this point, but it isn’t that iconic. Solid playability, looks like a fun stage but clearly not Tournament legal. This stage has an unusual layout, and the Wiggler is unique and well represents the source location.

Makaronileo- Bowser Doom Train

Playability: 6/10

Creativity: 6/10

Total: 16/25

Comments: The train levels are certainly memorable locations, but not as memorable as other locations from SM3DW. This stage doesn’t seem unplayable or uncreative, but some more description would’ve helped your score in both those categories. Nevertheless, neither score is bad, nor is your total.

aidelaro5: The Theater

Comments: I’ve been waiting for a stage like this :). Everyone and their dog wants this stage, 5/5 popularity. This stage seems very fun, in spite of the widespread hazards. vEry creative, well represents the location and has a variety of different effects that make the stage stand out. I like the idea of a stage boss; I feel Rawk Hawk would have been the best choice but Cortez is the next best pick.

Radical Beam- The Great Tower of Bowserland

Comments: As an extremely memorable location that incorporates a lot of its game’s mechanics, this location gets a perfect popularity score. This looks like it could be the least irritating scrolling stage in the history of Smash. This is why you get an unusually high playability. I also like the stage boss and non-repeating nature of the stage.

crazyal02- Sunshine Secret

Popularity: 2/5

Total: 17/25

Comments: Location is a bit weird, so you lost some popularity there. Playability seems decent due to no outstanding hazards. Good Creativity as well, the layout is unusual. Solid first entry all around.

Toxicroaker- Bob-Omb Battlefield

Comments: Great location choice, even more iconic and memorable than tick-tock Clock, though both get 5s. Playability isn’t stellar, due to the stage boss, hazards and walk-offs, but it is still pretty good. The idea of Making it a Castle Siege type stage is interesting and well represents SM64.

violenceman- Koopaling Airship

Comments: An excellent showing from violenceman once again. Airships are an important and recurring location in mario games, 5/5 popularity. The switch mechanic is very interesting and fitting; allowing stage hazards to be weaponized is brilliant. The stage is very unusual and feels so much like the Airship levels, nothing less than a 10/10 creativity would do.

Themarioaddict- Lineland Road

Comments: My hatred of Super Paper Mario could bring 20 bathtubs to boil, but I have to hand it to you: this is a great stage and my opinion of SPM did not affect your score. The location isn’t particularly notable, but is one of the first areas from the game(I think). The turning mechanic both translates well into smash and well represents the source material.[/collapse]
[collapse=D-idara's Grades]Tick-Tock Clock by Kevandre
Popularity:
4/5
The extra Popularity because a certain amazing game came out yesterday...and Tick-Tock Clock appears on that game, plus, the location has always been one of the most unique from SM64. Now...I really like how you adapted the source location to a Smash layout while keeping true to the original style, with all the conveyor belts, flipping platforms and swinging hazards that made TTC such a pain in the *** remembered location. Now...the pendulum feels a little weird, but I like the fact that at a normal speed, the knockback comes from people launching other people againist it, I've always loved interactive stage hazards that depend more on the players' actions, but I do feel that the clockhand at max speed could feel a little overpowered when the knockback's like Rumble Falls' spikes.
Total: 22

Soda Jungle by Dairz
Popularity:
3/5
I didn't give you lower Popularity because the purple-goop levels have been on all NSMB games, but they're still not as memorable or remembered, aside from frustration memories. Now...the stage's pretty tame, a simple big platform with two platforms and 'lava' on the sides, but the layout IS new and I like the way the Wiggler comes into the battle without being too much of a distraction, merely another stage element to play around, rather than a stage boss thing. Pretty solid stage all around, although Popularity hurt you a little. I gave you a bonus point on Creativity because of the AWESOME Starry Night version, good call, it was one of the few notable things about NSMBU!
Total: 20

Bowser's Doom Train by Makaronileo
Popularity:
4/5
The train stages were one of the most hyped-up parts of 3D World, so they're pretty recognizable, especially the last train level, Bowser Express. Now...the layout you describe does feel a little C/P'd from the source game and I think you could've done a little more to adapt it to the Smash style, maybe some platforms or other quirks that would make the layout fit more within the playstyle. Now, even though the stage scrolls, the scrolling's slow and the blocky terrain doesn't present too much of a hassle, although the Bullet Bills are a little disruptive, nothing too troublesome.
Total: 19

The Theater by aldelaro5
Popularity:
5/5
Playability: 3/10
If there's a popular 'location' from Paper Mario not named Castle Bleck, it's the cute little diorama theater you fight on! Now, I really love how you adapted all of the source material to a Smash stage and I absolutely ADORE the concept of taunting and making the audience lean towards your side, adds a nice layer of strategy as you try to please the crowd...now...your stage's let down by the ridiculous amount of hazards, fireworks, props, thrown objects plus the unique hazards from each phase? You went more than a little too far, I hate to say this, but this would be more suited as an Adventure Mode stage where you simulate a hectic Paper Mario battle againist the enemies...
Total: 18

Great Tower of Bowser Land by Radical Beam
Popularity:
3/5
Playability: 5/10
For some reason, the tower doesn't feel as remembered as Bowser Land itself, although it's still a Final Boss arena and that gives it some points. Now, I like the battle being adapted to a Smash stage, but then again it does feel a little too similar, I do like the fact that the stage stays at the top when it reaches it, though. Now...this stage's also pretty unplayable, I mean, a climbing stage that also has a Cat Bowser hazard constantly screwing you over...and THEN a stage boss.
Total: 16

Sunshine Secret by crazyal02
Popularity:
3/5
These levels were the basis for Super Mario Galaxy and they were pretty memorable, but still a slightly obscure part of the game. Now, the layout doesn't seem too risque at first, but I do like how the blocks are constantly rotating and switching directions, make the stage feel active without affecting the battle directly, and the left block shenanigans take me back to that little goddamn rock on Kongo Jungle, you could've done a lot more with such a flexible concept, though. Now, although the stage moves and affects the battle, the spinning blocks causing or preventing KOs seems to depend like 90% on the players' actions, so full Playability.
Total: 21

Bob-Omb Battlefield by Toxicroaker
Popularity:
5/5
Bob-Omb Battlefield has to be one of the most recognizable locations of videogame history...so full Popularity there! I really like how you adapted each of the memorable segments from Bob-Omb Battlefield as Smash stages, each of those keeping true to their original depictions while working as fighting layouts, I love how you did it :D Now...HNGHH...why do people have to keep adding stage bosses to their perfectly-good stages!? Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them, I just think they're a cheap cop-out to not give us actual Adventure Mode bosses, but enough ranting! I feel like the various layouts and their own hazards work perfectly as the stage's life, and I feel like King Bob-Omb's a little tacked-on, especially because of how tough he sounds...I don't know, he seems like more of an annoyance because you want to get to the fun layouts quick.

Koopaling Airship by Violenceman
Popularity:
5/5
The ever-so-famous Airships from SMB3! I've always loved hazards that depend on the players to work, so I adore the approach to the stage hazards you took, with the players shooting at their enemies strategically...also, the little cameos and details really make it shine, although I would've liked an equally good description of the backgrounds or the places the Airship flies through, especially since half the songs don't fit the pleasant atmosphere of those pretty, bubbly clouds (Dat' MK8 Bowser's Castle sounds like the Airship should be travelling through a storm with volcanoes exploding on the background, for example!). Now, the layout's pretty unique and I like huge stages, but I can't help but wonder if this would work as a fighting layout, Temple and (Apparently) Palutena's Temple work because they have some sort of flow to them that makes them feel like a breathing, living world...but I keep thinking that the players going after the switches and dodging the hazards on such an horizontal layout will make the stage feel a little disjointed, perhaps a layout that explored the ship's insides downwards would've given you a 9.

Lineland Road by TheMarioaddict
Popularity:
3/5
I LOVE SUPER PAPER MARIO! Although I seem to be one of like, two people who love that game, but Lineland Road's still pretty memorable, mostly due to the strange mathematical problems floating around the air (Flower+Mushroom=Star?) and the abstract trees. The 2D-3D mechanic from SPP feels fresh but faithful to the source material, and you also have bonus points for managing to show a fan-favorite character that triggers the gimmick. Fracktail does seem a little too strong but since you mention he rarely appears, I won't remove too many points for him, plus he's one of the coolest Paper Mario bosses :D Did I mention that I love Super Paper Mario?
Total: 22[/collapse]
Total Scores:
Kevandre
Dairz - 76
Makaronileo - 77
aldelaro5 - 79
Radical Beam - 70
crazyal02 - 82
Toxicroaker - 86
Violenceman - 89
TheMarioaddict - 84

LOOKS LIKE A TIE!

The winners are...
[collapse=Tick-Tock Clock - Kevandre]Tick-Tock Clock (Mario 64)

Here's my level design:

I apologize for my bad photoshop. I'm really out of practice. ANYWAY.

Okay, so the stage has a few things going on. There are some stage hazards here. First up, there is a conveyor belt on the left side of the stage. It is a platform that you can stand on, but it does act as a conveyor belt.. Stand on it too long and you'll fall off the side toward the edge of the stage.

The spinning platform on the right side of the stage is similar, it can be used as a platform but wait too long and you'll fall off as it spins. It also can act as a wall if it's in the vertical position at that time, which could be the saving grace.

There's a non-hazard platform in the center of the stage as well.

Now, notice the pendulum up top. This is swinging at a steady pace. The gold part will do damage to the fighter hit by it and can be used to KO someone if you manage to hit them into it (Think the spike from Brawl's Rumble Falls though not a OHKO every time). Every time the pendulum is struck, however, the pace of the hands on the clock behind it will increase. This makes the pendulum swing faster, the conveyor belt move faster and the spinning platform rotate faster. The speeds range from start (pretty slow but not too much), to slightly fast (medium), to really fast (This is where the pendulum WILL KO you), to stopped altogether, then back to start again.

Maybe not for the competitive scene, but I think it would be really fun for your average player. Tick Tock Clock, while always rather irritating to me as a kid, has always stuck out as one of the most memorable stages from SM64 in my head. I hope you guys like it!

Music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWJD5O2V__8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWHQacbNjHE

I'm debating if the music would slow/rise along with the clock's time. Your starting time would be how the song usually sounds and gets faster and faster... Eventually becoming slowed (But still sounding good) when the clock is stopped. Might be too much.[/collapse]
[collapse=Koopaling Airship - Violenceman]Wow, so many good entries already! Now, this is a round!

Name of Stage: Koopling Airship
Game of Origin: Super Mario Bros. 3

View attachment 14363

Description: A mighty Airship flying over the mushroom kingdom, this is an expansive stage along the vein of Temple. The main body of the airship is solid ground, while the left hand floating platform and screw piece in the upper-center of the stage are passable platforms. The simple grey lines are background elements and cannot be used as walls/platforms.

Gimmicks/Hazards: The above image may look busy, but it usually surprisingly calm. The stage hazards are as follows:
  • Moving Platform (Grey Arrows) - This platform on the left will move slowly back and forth. It is a passable platform.
  • Cannons (Purple arrows) - The cannons will fire a small cannon ball out at a medium velocity whenever the Green Button is pressed (located in the upper center of the stage). The cannonball will travel in straight line along the direction of the arrow until it is off the stage or has collided with a player, projectile, or platform (not counting the passable kind). If it hits a player, it will deal 7% damage. It can be jumped on without taking damage; this will cause it to fall to the ground harmlessly, where it can be picked up and used as a thrown item with short tossing distance. Jumping on a cannonball will restore jumps and recovery moves, like landing on a platform would. The Green button will stay depressed for a moment before it pops back up to be used again.
  • Bullet Bills (Brown arrows) - The Bill Launchers will fire a bullet bill out at a high velocity whenever the Red Button is pressed (located in the upper center of the stage). The Byullet Bill will travel in straight line along the direction of the arrow until it is off the stage or has collided with a player, projectile, or platform (not counting the passable kind). If it hits a player, it will deal 9% damage. It can be jumped on without taking damage; this will cause it to fall off the bottom of the stage harmlessly. Jumping on a cannonball will restore jumps and recovery moves, like landing on a platform would. The Red button will stay depressed for a moment before it pops back up to be used again.
  • Warp Pipe (Blue Arrows) - Any player can use the Warp Pipes to jump across the stage quickly. To use the right pipe, just hit down when standing on top of it. To use the left pipe, walk or run into it; it will act like a wall at first, but after a second of constant movement toward it, the player will enter the pipe. Once the traveling animation has started, it cannot be interrupted. You will still take damage if hit, however.
  • Screw Piece - In the upper center of the stage is a screw piece that acts as a passable platform. Repeatedly jumping on it will cause it to move left or right depending on what direction the player landing on the piece is facing. You cannot stay still on the piece, as you will automatically pass through it, albeit at a slower speed.
  • In addition, the stage features a general ebb and flow. The stage will slowly bob up and down as the Airship flies through the sky, which will have a noticeable effect on projectiles. It doesn't have too much variation in height, so it will not have too much of an impact on recoveries.

Unlockable?: No. Available from the start.

Extras: Mario Cameos abound! Paratroopas, Paragoombas, and Lakitus flying around the background, as do Airships for all the Koopalings. In the windows of the ship, you will see Boom-Boom moving back and forth.

Music Selection:
Airship Theme
Airship Fortress
Bowser's Castle
Bowser's Castle (Mario Kart 8)
Sky Land
Nimbus Land
Boom-Boom's Theme
Axem Rangers Drop In[/collapse]
Mull over the results, people! And for the next round, think the franchise you want the most, the one that makes you feel like you're truly plunging yourself into the world's extensive lore and memorable characters, one that truly makes you feel like a real gamer...that franchise...that one won't be on the next round! :troll: There was a disturbing lack of Galaxy on this round, though, how come no one made a Gusty Garden Galaxy stage?

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Of course Violenceman won. -_-

Still, 3rd (4th?) place ain't bad for a first entry. Congrats to the winners!

There was a disturbing lack of Galaxy on this round, though, how come no one made a Gusty Garden Galaxy stage?
Personally, I didn't do one because there's already a confirmed mario galaxy stage.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Holy crap I never expected to actually win /tie in this round! Congrats to @ Violenceman Violenceman

Super stoked for the next round, especially if it's a more obscure game... Make you have to stretch your brain even more!

I can guarantee you that if we were allowed extra entries then I would have done a Galaxy stage at some point.. Though it likely would have been Freezeflame Galaxy, that one just stands out to me!

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Well done dual winners! Can't wait for the next round!

Hopefully I wont come last again...

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
What a coincidence! I'm the other person!

SUPER PAPER MARIO BUDDIES GO
It wasn't awful, it was a good Mario game, had some very unique characters and designs. But it deviated too far from what made Paper Mario, well, Paper Mario. Sticker Star tried to go back to it a little bit but it missed bad imo.

If SPM was an RPG game, I think I'd have liked it a lot more, even with the Pixls not being as awesome as the goombas and koopas and stuff. All my opinion though

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Yay! I ended up getting second place. I can see what you guys mean about the stage boss, and I bet that if he hadn't been there I could have even snagged first place. I am very happy that you guys enjoyed it more than I did lol (I thought it sucked in every way accept popularity).

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
It wasn't awful, it was a good Mario game, had some very unique characters and designs. But it deviated too far from what made Paper Mario, well, Paper Mario. Sticker Star tried to go back to it a little bit but it missed bad imo.

If SPM was an RPG game, I think I'd have liked it a lot more, even with the Pixls not being as awesome as the goombas and koopas and stuff. All my opinion though
Funny. I like it because it's NOT an RPG. Personally, I'm not a fan of RPGs (although I did enjoy TTYD, and Pokemon has always been OK in my book), so SPM was the perfect Paper Mario for me.

Top Bottom