• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Called it. I knew that stage would easily take this one. It was a damn fine stage and I can see it being really intense and theatrical.

I do wish I'd played Awakening sooner. I wish I'd played it when it came out. But that's okay. This thread was the tipping point.

Can't wait for the next round.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Called it. I knew that stage would easily take this one. It was a damn fine stage and I can see it being really intense and theatrical.

I do wish I'd played Awakening sooner. I wish I'd played it when it came out. But that's okay. This thread was the tipping point.

Can't wait for the next round.
Look on the bright side, now you're on Team Chrom! :D

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Woo hoo! Thanks judges! Can't wait for the next round now! We should advertise in the Social thread to get more entries!

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Congratz to the winner :p

Maybe I'll think of something interesting next time, I just had "Don't speak her name" stuck in my head... So I thought

"WYNAUT"

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Ah, that round is now done! what lies in wait for the future? Hopefully a series I know more about!

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
THE FIRE EMBLEM ROUND IS IN CAPTIVITY, THE GALAXY IS AT PEACE...

ROUND 10

In the deepest regions of space...a new hope arises for a Metroid stage that doesn't have lava or serve as a terrible tease-fest to squeeze the fanbase's hearts until they're all dried-up! This round we're tackling the Metroid series for Smash Wii U, so contestants will be able to choose locations from Metroid (And to an extent, Zero Mission), Super Metroid, the Prime series and Other M. These games have quite the wide selection of memorable locations to choose from, so let's show Sakurai how Metroid has more than lava places and character deconfirmations!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Aw yiss, I've got an idea for this one. May rework it a bit though. We shall see.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I've always had a wish for a metroid stage. I guess I'll flesh it out here

Lets see

Name of Stage: Tallon IV
Game of Origin: Metroid Prime 1
Description: There've been a lot of transforming/changing scenery stages that have remained at a neutral level of playability this game around, it seems. This will be one of those.

I'm a Metroid Prime fanboy, and specifically Prime 1 is one of my favorite games in the series. There are many great and varied biomes on the planet. This stage would explore them, using Samus' ship as a medium. Lets start with it, as you will be spending the travel time there, so moreso than anywhere else.
Personally, I prefer this variation, and you didn't have the newer one yet, so I think it's fitting.

This picture gives a good estimate of it's size as well, but I think for the purposes of smash it should be lengthened a little, to make for a more forgiving arena. Think about the length of battlefield, and less bumpy. You'd view it directly from the front.

Now, for when you are at the landing sites, I am imagining the ship drops you off, as to not get in the way of the fight. It functions similar to the pilotwings plane swapping, it does a barrel roll and loses solidity. You could have some great scenery as you fly, as well. You'd get some great shots of space, fly by frigate orpheon every once in awhile. Sometimes you skim closer to the planet, over dense forest, part of the space pirate's complex, or some tundra.

But that's just the transition. The interesting part is where you touch down. Here are some of the locations I've scoped out.

Tallon Overworld
Whenever I reminisce about Metroid Prime 1, and I think back to the initial landing on Tallon IV, this is the opening scene I remember that draws you into the planet.

Expand that, it has great resolution. Anyways, I can't imagine any other place to represent the tallon overworld than this initial landing site. I figure it'd have a slightly raised platform in the middle, about half the height of pikachu. It would be centered evenly on the stage, and be about as big as battlefield. The stage itself would have waterfalls on the sides so that it wouldn't be walk off. (they'd go into large pools of water, where you could fall off, and there wouldn't be wall behind them) The stage would in total be 1.5 times the size of FD. Large, but you gotta fit all that scenery in.

Imagine this as the general view. You can also see the broken up ground, to see what I meant about the raised platform.
but with the beauty of that last image, of course xD

No hazards.

When the ship comes to pick you up, it'd come and land in the center, just like you see in this screenshot. You'd then have precious seconds to climb on top before it left you behind.

Chozo Ruins
Arboretum
A great example of the Chozo architecture in the game, this iconic room was a center point in the ruins that had to be passed through many times. I almost chose the main plaza instead, but hell, this is a transition stage, maybe it goes there too.

It's hard to find a decent screenshot of this area, but I found one that at least gives some context.

I apologize for the potato quality, Prime 1 is over 10 years old. I did find one more shot of a different angle, but in much better quality

Anyways, This shot kind of gives you an idea of the size of base of the tree, at the very least. You can see there are platforms in this area, giving you a place to walk over water, or acid (depends on where you are in the story). There are also platforms coming off of the tree itself, allowing you to scale it in game.

For the smash stage, I imagine the great tree would be in the background of the stage, with a few of these platforms over the water be the main playable area, as well as 2 different platforms a bit higher up, connected to the tree. I'm not much of an artist, but I've sketched how I imagine the layout of these platforms, at least.

I could throw in all kinds of hazards, but I prefer a more neutral Metroid stage for once, honestly, and the core of my idea is the beauty of the planet, so I'll leave it how it is. Going along with this theme, you would fight here after the water had been purified, to make the area look nicer. Unlike in the game, however, you can fall to your death between the platforms.

Here's my mockup:

When the ship comes to get you back, it will land on the middle platform.

Phendrana Drifts
The next location is one of my favorites in the game, the Phendrana Drifts. Many people know of it because of its memorable music. Here's a good reference image of both the Drifts themselves, and the specific area I'd like us to land

I've drawn another poor mock-up of the general platform layout, just to get a better idea of where you can stand. This stage would have walk-off edges, and this would be the scene. The river would be a place you could fall to your death (no water physics from brawl, just a fall....)

Once again, a little basic, but nice. A couple of sheegoths could walk around in the background, maybe some of the bat things could fly around too, but no actual hazards.

When the ship comes around, it will land on the right of the stage, right next to the river.

Magmoor Caverns
Another great location, this one is a little harder to access. I imagine a transition where the ship flies into the maw of an open cave, the background goes dark, and the ship flies downwards for a small while, before discovering the caverns.
Here's a great piece of fan art of the caverns that I love that showcase a processing facility that was down there, which would be in the background of this set piece.

Here's a better view of the area you'd actually be fighting

It's basically a cavern, with some platforms over lava, maybe a few pillars and gas things in the background. The lava would be fall-through, like a normal hole, not like in brinstar. I imagine a generic platform layout over lava here, maybe a large unbroken one, about the size of FD.

If there's anywhere to have a hazard on this stage, it would be in the caverns here. However, I'm going to stick by my theme of a neutral Metroid stage, and my stance will remain unbroken.

When the Ship comes to pick you up, it lands directly in the middle of the stage.

Phaazon mines
Another great area of Tallon IV, the mines. It was even harder to not add a stage-hazard element here than in magmoor, xD

Here is a great screenshot that shows off the beauty of the place
The electric blue coloring is rampant in the phaazon veins, it's an amazing sight. The place I've chosen to transform into our landing site is here (this isn't far below the surface at all, it shouldn't be to hard to find a way to fly in)
Instead of treating the phaazon like a stage hazard, it should line the walls of the stage, only there to further draw you into the scenery. There could be some metroids and phaazoids flying along in the background as well.

I'm not going to draw the stage, because it is simple. Think Gerudo valley from the 3DS to start, two platforms with a chasm in the middle, but they are slightly further apart, and there is no bridge to gap it. Each side would be roughly 3/4 the size of battlefield, and it would not be walk off. The phaazon would line the walls of the pit in the middle, and the vein would continue far into the background, overlooking the research facility seen here. (sadly hard to find a good picture of this)

When the ship comes to get you, it would hover directly over the center cavern, trapping anyone under it in there. if you were hanging on the ledge when it lands, you'd be unable to get up. This is the closest thing this stage has to a hazard, haha.

Gimmicks/Hazards: I've addressed these throughout

Unlockable?: I think this would make a great starter stage for metroid
Extra: I think a Metroid Prime 1 medley would be in order here, as well as a version of phendrana drifts (Metroid Metal does a good cover). There's a lot of good music from Prime to choose from.

there are currently a few images missing from my post, because I have no way to upload my drawings at work. But I'll put them up when I get home, later today.

I hope ya'll like my stage ^.^

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Artifact Temple
Metroid Prime

At the center of Metroid Prime's game world lies The Artifact Temple, which seals the Great Poison housed by the Impact Crater. The temple was build by the Chozo, an ancient and wise race who eventually ascended.

The stage has no platforms other than the central one. There are short walls on the left and right, but the most interesting feature is the two statues near the center. They act as walls, but have only 50% stamina. That isn't very much, but it might not be a good idea to destroy them...

When someone destroys a statue, the statues in the background (see first image) glow red instead of blue, and a red crosshair appears following the player who destroyed the statue. After a while, they simultaneously shoot lasers at the crosshair's position, just like in Halberd. Thirty seconds later, a Chozo Ghost appears at the statue's position and restores it:

All this creates some interesting dilemmas. Campers will want to destroy the statues so that their projectiles can reach enemies, but doing so could cause death by Chozo fury. Approachers could barrel straight through with powerful attacks, or just maneuver around the statues. The latter is safer, but allows more escape attempts for enemies. The former gives your opponents nowhere to run, but they could also have an easier job at camping, and there's always the threat of the Chozo. Overall, wariness and careful decision making is key.

This stage is available from the start, while Pyrosphere is unlockable.

Music:
Vs. Meta Ridley (Metroid Prime)
Staff Roll (Metroid Prime)
Phendrana Drifts (Deep Lake) (Metroid Prime)
Sanctuary Fortress (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
Hunters (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
Galactic Federation Theme (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
Vs. Dark Samus (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Okay, here we go!

Crateria (Super Metroid)

This is the third stage I've designed for Metroid, and honestly it's the one I like the best. I'd done a Phendrana stage and a Maridia stage but.. Neither felt quite right to me. Crateria is a memorable location from Super Metroid for anyone who's even started the game and it's honestly pretty cool.

It's a rather large area. Definitely not your Temple/NPC size but big enough.

There is a steel beam in the middle of the stage that is your main platform for battling. There are two floating platforms above it as well on either side. Straight below, there is a stationary platform. Either side of that platform are two Trippers, flying from side to side that you can stand on (For a limited time. If you stand atop the Tripper too long, it can't take the weight and will start to fall diagonally until an eventual KO if you don't get off in time. Plenty of time to get off though).

The best way to KO here is at the ceiling and the floor of the stage. Most of the side parts of the stage are walled. If you throw a character at a door, it will open up. If you're launched/walk through the open door, this will also result in a KO, which I think is pretty cool. The doors only will remain open until 25 seconds has passed or someone has gone through it, then it will close again and require hitting once more to open.

There are no real stage hazards here, it's a very playable stage in general.

Unlockable? No, this is the default stage. I'd say Pyrosphere would be the unlockable one after getting Ridley.

Music:
Default: Classic Crateria theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx4Gsp5rcwM

FJ7X Super Metroid Medley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18_bpuyO6TA
This other Metroid Medley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb-fCFtJ8Ww
Smooth Super Metroid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSQ5f4L5n04
Smooth Brinstar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPY2ZzPkeN8

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Metroid round, huh? This isn't by any chance an attempt to use the reality-controlling powers of this thread to confirm Ridley, is it?

Welp, I'm in for this round. I'll be back with a stage once I think one up. I've already got a vague concept in mind...

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
First, there was Brinstar.

Then, there was Brinstar Depths.

Then we had Norfair.

So what comes next? Why, logically...

NORFAIR DEPTHS!!

(Otherwise known as "Ridley's Hideout")

Name: Norfair Depths

Game: Metroid (NES)

Description:

As I'm sure you know, the black lines indicate where you can stand, with the pillars being impassable. Also, any platform with a black line on it cannot be passed through from any direction. See that fancy new WHITE line? THAT one you can pass through.

As you can see, the stage as a fairly asymmetric layout, and lots of curved/slanted platforms. To some, this may seem like a detriment. But then the gimmick comes into play. Now, Norfair is known for the intense heat and lava. So what do you get when you enter an area directly below one that's flooded with lava?

If you guessed "Lava flows", you're correct!

Yes, after a random amount of time (with a minimum of 30 seconds), a message will appear at the top of the screen, warning of "Dangerous Heat Levels." When you see this, get to a safe place, because the lava will soon after start flowing down the level, as shown in the above image. The lava acts much like the acid in Brinstar if it is touched. You'll get fair knockback, and some damage. After about 10 seconds, the lava will stop flowing.

I'm not going to touch on aesthetics, for fear of demoting a long hoped for character to background status. Just imagine a mix of the "Norfair" and "Brinstar Depths" backgrounds, and you'll be pretty close to what I imagine.

Unlockable?: Yes. Play 10 rounds on Pyrosphere to unlock.

Music:

Norfair Depths (Metroid)
Space Pirate Theme (Super Metroid)
Underground Depths (Super Metroid)
Ridley Battle (Any game, they're all the same theme anyways)
Mother Brain Battle (Super Metroid)
Magmoor Caverns Ambience (Metroid Prime)
Metroid Prime Final Boss Theme (Metroid Prime) (Duh)

There you are, my Metroid Stage! Hope you like it!

EDIT: I'm suddenly a bit paranoid that you won't quite get what I mean by the platforms that can't be passed through, so here's another pic of the stage, with black lines on any ground, wall, or ceiling that you cannot pass through.

It was probably clear enough the first time, but like I said, I'm paranoid.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Huzzah! Already more entries than last round.

I am very sad that @ BridgesWithTurtles BridgesWithTurtles likes everybody's entry but mine.Makes me feel left out lol

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Huzzah! Already more entries than last round.

I am very sad that @ BridgesWithTurtles BridgesWithTurtles likes everybody's entry but mine.Makes me feel left out lol
It's ok. I'll like every entry but yours as well so you don't feel left out :p

also uploading my illustrations now

as bad as my drawing may be xD

EDIT

Bad drawings of areas of my stage that I felt were complicated enough to not grasp from my other images are now uploaded

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The Bottle Ship
Game of Origin: Metroid: The Other M
Layout:

Form One: Comprised of two platforms, this is the Bottle Ship's main lift area and it acts much like a 2 tiered FD. After a while, however, the lights around the lift door will activate in one of 3 colours and it will open up, turning into a small platform. After this, a stage transition will occur, scrolling downwards to the new form. Players may get there by falling or by standing in the lift which scrolls down with the stage.
When the new form is reach, the lift pings and the doors close, dropping anyone inside onto the stage below.

Form Two: When the lights are green, the lift is headed for the Biosphere. It's housing is covered in tree branches that are mostly for show but come into the foreground for two asymmetrical platforms. Beneath this is a marsh area where the scum on the surface has congealed to create platforms. This will disappear very quickly after being stepped on and are almost on the blast line so be ultra careful. It will transition back identically to how it was transitioned to. Don't ask how the main elevator room can be both above and below the Biosphere, it just is. The lights will be purple for this transition.

Form Three: Red lights means the Pyrosphere. This stage has an extended main platform but no grabbable ledges and the bottom blast line is rendered inaccessible via Brinstar-esque lava. The lava does not move but occasionally jets may spout up through the thin section and reach just above the top of the lift. This will be signposted by bubbles in the lava beneath and will act almost like walls, making horizontal KOs extremely difficult.

Form Four: Blue lift lights will take you to the Cryosphere, with its slippery surface and painful icicle hazards, reminiscent of the N64 Peach's Castle bumpers. There's not much more to say about this transition.

General Stuff:
The stage will spend most of its time in form one and must return to it between its other forms. While the first form change of any game is random, they will follow the order outlined above after that.

Overview: Simple layout with Pokemon Stadium style form changes and a variety of hazards which arise from them. Yes, Pyrosphere is already a stage but, given how much potential the Bottle Ship has to showcase the location variety of the Metroid series, I would argue that it shouldn't be.

Unlockable: Yes

Play on every starting stage as Samus or Zero Suit Samus.

Music:

Coming soon.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
How long until it's closed? I'm itching to know grades! Lol

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Well, we're gonna be closing the round today! I'll leave it open for a few more hours in case anyone wants to get their entry in!

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Maridia. Wanted to do something with the glass tube, breaking and going into watery physics. Couldn't really get more than that.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Regardless of who wins, you guys suggested some pretty cool stages. I'm happy I got to share my idea, I've been carrying that one around since before Brawl's initial reveal trailer, haha.

@ allison allison
While I dislike your layout for artifact temple, I think the lasers attacking people who destroy stuff is very clever, and true to the series

@ ryuu seika ryuu seika
While I haven't actually played Other M, I think your transformation idea is quite interesting, as you can tell by my entry, I love exploring different biomes.

everybody else's stages were bad :p

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Was thinking about submitting a stage based on Skytown from Prime 3, but couldn't get it laid out in a way I was satisfied with.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Was thinking about submitting a stage based on Skytown from Prime 3, but couldn't get it laid out in a way I was satisfied with.
I loved that area. Several fights there - the giant bridge you can destroy, the grappling rails, and the escape fight on that falling platform against waves of pirates, were all very memorable to me, some of the top scenes of the game.

I might have to go back and replay that game, actually, it's been a long time.

... (anyone have a copy of the trilogy I can steal?)

Top Bottom