• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Super Smash Bros 3DS Reviews

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I am going to put reviews from the critics here and edit as they come. Feel free to share your opinions on them here.

As of September 27th, 8:46 PM EST, the Metacritic Score is: 88

Gamesradar: 3/5
"A highly polished iteration of Smash Bros. that plays great on its own. But when you're afflicted by latency problems in local multiplayer, you'll suddenly become painfully aware of the 3DS version's critical shortcomings."

Pro's
- Huge, well-balanced roster
- Plays great, with no drawbacks for being on a handheld
- Good mix of online multiplayer modes

Con's
- Disappointing solo modes
- Online latency is sometimes a serious problem
- Some disappointing solo modes

Famitsu: 10/9/9/9, or 37/40. Reviewed by 4 people
"You can sense the passion and heart that is put into this game from the impressive balance that consists of things like being simple and clear yet deep, characters’ strengths and weaknesses, technical stages and elements that turn the tide of a fight suddenly."

CVG: 9/10
"Whether you enjoy it as a technical fighting game or an insane Nintendo block party, Smash Bros' handheld debut delivers big on all fronts."

Pro's
- New characters all offer utterly distinct, and engaging, fighting styles
- Character customisation makes for the meatiest solo Smash yet
- The amount of Nintendo love pouring from every pixel of the game

Con's
- Busier moments can be tricky to follow on a smaller screen

IGN: 8.8/10
"Smash Bros 3DS makes a successful leap to a portable form with few losses in transition."

Pro's
- Easy controls
- Great modes
- Lots of unlockables

Con's
- Tiny 4-player characters
- Smash Run mode

GameXplain: Liked It
"The solid foundation has left me even more excited than before for the WIi U version"

Pro's
- Diverse character roster
- Fun new stages
- Graphically Impressive

Con's
- Inconsistent multiplayer online and local
- No direct interaction in Smash Run

Gamespot: 8/10
"I found so much raw joy in my time with Super Smash Bros. 3DS. And even though I played to the point where I was literally in pain, I didn't have to keep playing Smash Bros. 3DS. I wanted to."

Pro's
- Wonderfully vibrant art with near-perfect animation
- Fantastic score that runs the gamut of Nintendo's properties
- Plenty of design changes that keep the formula fresh
- Lots and lots of Nintendo fan service

Con's
- Handheld controls take some getting used to

Destructoid: 9/10
"Super Smash Bros.for Nintendo 3DS delivered just about everything I wanted out of it, and then some."

Eurogamer: 7/10
"Super Smash Bros. manages only the humour. Away from the communal focus of the television screen, it's a much weaker joke."

Polygon: 9/10
"Smash Bros hasn't been compressed for 3DS - it's been tailored to it"

NintendoLife: 9/10
"Remarkable production values combined with a staggering amount of content and fan service make Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS an entertaining, rewarding and downright addictive title that’s immensely hard to put down."

ShackNews: 8/10
"It's as close as Nintendo can possibly get towards packing in the addictive pleasure of the console versions onto its 3DS handheld. Fans couldn't ask for a better appetizer to the Wii U version set to hit later this year."

Gamesided: 9.5/10
"Smash Bros 3DS is a game that will keep me occupied for years to come. With unlockables galore, new modes, and friends to compete against, I don't see any reason why this game won't be planted in my 3DS cartridge bay regularly"

Interestingly, gamesided also has a competitive review of the game: 7.5/10
"...players and tournament organizers alike should experiment with new ways to balance offensive and defensive play. As it stands, defensive play is decidedly stronger

PCMag: 4.5/5
"Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 3DS takes the video game all-star fighting game to handhelds, and will satisfy gamers who pine for the days of Melee."

Pro's
- Engaging, quick action
- Enough depth to keep you playing for a long time.
- Tons of characters, options and modes.
- Serves competitive players well while remaining accessible

Con's
- Some characters feel like tweaked copies of others

Last edited:

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
Wait, hear that? That's paid journalists. I'm sure the game will be great, but Online latency? It has been so much more improved from Brawl but I know it's there. Now tell me why the game would suffer from that? If you have problems with lag, let your internet rest for a bit.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Wait, hear that? That's paid journalists. I'm sure the game will be great, but Online latency? It has been so much more improved from Brawl but I know it's there. Now tell me why the game would suffer from that? If you have problems with lag, let your internet rest for a bit.
To be honest. it does look like it lags quite a bit more than wanted. Maximillians not really a critic, but I can see where he's coming from in this video:
Then again, this is the 3DS Version. Only so much can be done on a handheld wirelessly. Imagine the Wii U version :D

Last edited:

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
And again with Netcode issues. Nintendo just doesn't get it. I guess having GGPO netcode or ArcSys-like netcode is too much to ask. I do hope Nintendo goes about fixing the issue similar to how Namco (mostly) fixed Tekken 6's HORRID connections back in that game's early days.

Last edited:

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
Maximillians not really a critic, but I can see where he's coming from in this video:
I don't expect the netcode to be perfect or anything, but I have a really hard time taking anything he says regarding this seriously after watching his stream. Seems like whenever he lost the netcode was a horrible abomination of mankind and whenever he won it was absolutely flawless. Johns everywhere.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
And again with Netcode issues. Nintendo just doesn't get it. I guess having TTT2/USFIV-like netcode is too much to ask.
This is usually in 4 player matches. If you have good internet and the other person has good internet then your match should be good. Bare in mind that this is a console that's already at it's limits when running Smash 3DS and the 3DS is connecting wirelessly. Wii U version should be rather smooth, but this is a huge step up from Brawl.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I don't expect the netcode to be perfect or anything, but I have a really hard time to take anything he says regarding this seriously after watching his stream. Seems like whenever he lost the netcode was a horrible abomination of mankind and whenever he won it was absolutely flawless. Johns everywhere.
As the person who played with Max 70% of his time with the game, I can pretty much agree with everything he said regardless of his performance of the game itself.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
When it comes to the japanese version, I'll take the japanese people's word over others. Of course there's gonna be lag with the japanese version.

VaderPrime

Smash Rookie
NNID
VaderPrime
3DS FC
1006-0846-7481
I have about a 70% success rate with online battles. 2 player only is more likely to succeed but I've had pretty good luck with 4 player with items on and very little lag. Since I live in america, and I'm playing mostly people from Japan online, I feel that is a fair success rate. I must say that normally I have a 90% success rate with most any other online games (Fighters, Online RPG's and FPS) so being that this isn't a wired connection on an underpowered 3ds playing a pretty intensive game I feel 70% is solid. I hope it reaches 80% range when it is released in America.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I'm telling you, if IGN rates this below 9.5/10...

:laugh:
But seriously, I guess the ratings are ok, but remember IGN... 'Readies mob' :laugh:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I'm telling you, if IGN rates this below 9.5/10...

:laugh:
But seriously, I guess the ratings are ok, but remember IGN... 'Readies mob' :laugh:
Jose Otero LOVES Smash and appreciates it as a competitive game too. He rates most big Nintendo games so I expect a good review from IGN.

If not, like you said.

RIOT!

Last edited:

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
It's nice if everyone reviews it high but it won't effect me and my purchase.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Disappointing solo modes how?
Short Classic mode (Seriously only 6 stages?).
No Adventure.
No Event mode.
No Target Test (Angry Birds: Smash Edition is basically an extension of Home Run Contest).
That's just from an observation's standpoint. I suppose it's fine for a handheld, but as a full fledged Smash game?

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I trust the youtube sphere's reviews more, in all honesty.

But it's nice to read a breakdown of things and some basic opinions. I'm sure this game will score high on all marks.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Short Classic mode (Seriously only 6 stages?).
No Adventure.
No Event mode.
No Target Test (Angry Birds: Smash Edition is basically an extension of Home Run Contest).
That's just from an observation's standpoint. I suppose it's fine for a handheld, but as a full fledged Smash game?
I would still consider Smash Run a solo mode since you cannot even play it online according to Sakurai. Sure, you can play it in co op, but I would still put it in as a solo mode personally.

fearless.leader

Smash Apprentice
bad latency NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
(pleaseninentopleasenintendopleasenintendodontruintheonlinethistime)

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I would still consider Smash Run a solo mode since you cannot even play it online according to Sakurai. Sure, you can play it in co op, but I would still put it in as a solo mode personally.
Yeah I suppose you can. It still doesn't fit the criteria of what I just listed though. I suppose it could be like a Pseudo-Adventure mode. One that only lasts 5 minutes at a time...

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Review scores from IGN, Gamespot and Gamexplain

IGN: 8.8
Gamespot: 8
Gamexplain: Liked it

All of them sounded pretty similar. The game is great but not perfectly suited for the 3DS which holds it back, namely the small screen, potentially uncomfortable as a controller, and potential lag in local play. I can seeing the Wii U version getting 9's and 10's since none of those things will probably be an issue for the Wii U. On a rather surprising note, Gamespot is actually aware that direction influence was changed in this game. Didn't expect them to mention that at all.

TheKryptoKnight

Smash Rookie
NNID
Beartic10
3DS FC
3093-7588-1980
Yeah, every single flaw pointed out so far is 3DS specific, so I definitely see Wii U getting 9s+ unless it manages to introduce new problems on par with laggy local play and a quickly boring Smash Run...

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
Yeah, every single flaw pointed out so far is 3DS specific, so I definitely see Wii U getting 9s+ unless it manages to introduce new problems on par with laggy local play and a quickly boring Smash Run...
Well, it's not like this game isn't getting 9s and 10s. Just look at the Metacritic page: http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-3ds/critic-reviews

13 9s-9.8s/19, and 1 10/10 so far, so it's not lagging behind other Smash games' critical reception that much.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
The netcode video makes a lot of sense.

Its peer to peer matchmaking ,kind of needs to be for any fighting games. I would suggest that people upgrade their internet connections, particularly upload to make it work better. Most people have crap connections I suppose, its odd that in the video people in the local area had a worse connection than connecting to even Japan.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
Has anyone else been having issues connecting locally? The demo works perfectly locally for me. I've seen some reviews complain that it's a problem. Particularly GamesRadar.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I played a few matches locally in the demo and they worked perfectly. It's likely just interference from other devices. André of GameXplain stated that he had this problem at his house, but not at a local coffee shop. So just make sure you don't have any running microwaves close by or anything of the sort.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Added IGN, GameXplain, and Gamespot to the OP.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I'll input my thoughts later, but as of right now I love how one of Shulks english taunts are "I'm really feeling it!"

Also gamesradar changed their review wat.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I played a few matches locally in the demo and they worked perfectly. It's likely just interference from other devices. André of GameXplain stated that he had this problem at his house, but not at a local coffee shop. So just make sure you don't have any running microwaves close by or anything of the sort.
It's weird, I'm at a university with lots of interference and most of my 1-v-1 matches have been near-flawless. True, 4 player matches can lag, but what other game needs such precise movements from 4 people across the world?

tttt

Smash Cadet
God IGN sucks. Why take off points for Smash Run? Plus having a small screen is a hardware problem, not a problem from the game. I'm sure the Wii U version will get a much higher score, but I'm just mad that they gave Sm4sh 3ds a 8.8 and Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks a 9.3

Also for lag and stuff, the reviewers were using Japanese Servers.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
If we're going to include reviews, we should probably include the two on average most competent reveiw sites:

The Escapist (Jim Sterling: 4.5/5)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...2317-Super-Smash-Bros-for-Nintendo-3DS-Review

Destructoid (Chris Carter: 9/10)

http://www.destructoid.com/review-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-3ds-281404.phtml

Pick either of these sites, and you'll wonder why you ever read IGN reviews again.
Speaking of the Escapist, I wonder how long it will be before everyone's "favorite" snarky video game critic from down under will make a video review for Super Smash Bros 4. I can already see Yahtzee ***** about the 3DS controls, some of the character selections, and of course online mode at the bare minimum. Last time he reviewed a smash bros game...let's just say sparks flew and Yahtzee got lots and lots of hate mail after that! :rolleyes:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
IGN: 8.8/10
IGN has officially crossed the line. Get your mods ready people, it's rage time. :laugh:
But seriously, really? This is worse than IGN rating Kirby Triple Deluxe a 6/10. This is why I don't listen to IGN reviews.

Top Bottom