• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario Bros. Characters Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Let's just give every character their own individual logo. Like a mario sports game or something

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Since we're likely to have each individual character getting their own victory theme, unique icons wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

D

Deleted member

While I do advocate for unique victory themes, unique icons would just be too much.
Smash has always had characters by series, and floodgates towards madness would rise if that was abolished.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
While I do advocate for unique victory themes, unique icons would just be too much.
Smash has always had characters by series, and floodgates towards madness would rise if that was abolished.
I say we abolish representing series, and instead have characters represent themselves.

No limit to who gets in from what series based on arbitrary equalization of series rules.

D

Deleted member

It's not that.
It's that chaos would ensue because that means anyone and anything can get in as long as they rep themselves.

There was never equalization, only prevention of overrepresentation.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's not that.
It's that chaos would ensue because that means anyone and anything can get in as long as they rep themselves.

There was never equalization, only prevention of overrepresentation.
The idea of over representation is what I mean by equilization.

And it's what I think should be abolished

D

Deleted member

You do realize that would mean about a million (overexaggeration) Mario characters and Pokemon if you want to abolish the concept of overrepresentation....right?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You do realize that would mean about a million (overexaggeration) Mario characters and Pokemon if you want to abolish the concept of overrepresentation....right?
Only if they are good characters.

And I wouldn't mind more Mario characters

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Paper Mario games are awesome. Some of the most quirky RPGs around.

Paper Mario in Smash Bros. is gross. He's G&W with a hat, mustache, and Mario items. Plus, he's another "Adjective Character." Let's leave the double character thing to the Links.

I guess if you want to develop the separate moveset then tack it onto Mario's slot, then cool. But no having Mario taking up more than one slot. It's tacky. This applies to Doc, also.

D

Deleted member

PsychoIncarnate said:
I say we abolish representing series, and instead have characters represent themselves.

No limit to who gets in from what series based on arbitrary equalization of series rules.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. It's the character themselves that warrants inclusion, not the series being deserving of more reps.

I think that's what Sakurai meant by not wanting to overrep Mario characters. Not because he's worried about Mario characters passing a certain limit, but that he wants to add Mario characters that merit a spot.

And if this counts for anything, DK, Diddy Kong, and Wario are considered Mario characters to Sakurai. So we already have King K. Rool and Dixie Kong as worthy candidates and I think that in a 53 character situation (transformation included0, a fifth Mario rep could also squeeze in.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I wouldn't be surprised if there are 2 new Mario Characters. You are talking about the largest series in Video Game History and the series that saved Video Games in the 1980s. Mario is Nintendo just as much as Mickey Mouse is Disney. Pokemon right now, has more direct characters than Mario or as many. That is enough of a reason for Sakurai to jump the Mario series.

Potential Newcomers:

1. Toad
2. Bowser Jr
3. Waluigi
4. Daisy
5. Koopa Trooper
6. Rosalina
7. Geno - Would be a great add but won't be in unless Nintendo acquires 1st party rights
8. Toadette
9. Petey Piranha
10. Kamek
11. King Boo
12. Birdo
13. Fawful

I don't think Sakurai looks and says this series deserves this number of characters as well... Metroid is a good example of that because there isn't very many characters from that series that fit well into Smash.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
SSBF brings up something curious...with the inclusion of Diddy, does Sakurai still consider DK a branch of the Mario series? It definitely wasn't grouped in with any Mario content like it was in Melee, with that one event match. Wario was likely considered a Mario character, since he was left out of Melee to avoid saturating the roster with characters from the series (and because Sakurai felt "he deserved better" than a cloned moveset), but with characters like Diddy, K. Rool and Dixie originated very far from the traditional Mario universe, I find it doubtful they are added with Mario representation in mind. They've appeared in a few sports games to fill those rosters, but otherwise, they are quite disconnected from Mario's canon.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
SSBF brings up something curious...with the inclusion of Diddy, does Sakurai still consider DK a branch of the Mario series? It definitely wasn't grouped in with any Mario content like it was in Melee, with that one event match. Wario was likely considered a Mario character, since he was left out of Melee to avoid saturating the roster with characters from the series (and because Sakurai felt "he deserved better" than a cloned moveset), but with characters like Diddy, K. Rool and Dixie originated very far from the traditional Mario universe, I find it doubtful they are added with Mario representation in mind. They've appeared in a few sports games to fill those rosters, but otherwise, they are quite disconnected from Mario's canon.
Isn't Diddy a part of the Mario Kart series now?

I'm pretty sure Mario assimilated him

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Even if we count Diddy as a Mario character because of multiple sports appearances, is it fair to do the same for K. Rool after just one?

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
If Waluigi gets in AND has his Upside Down L logo...

I'll go sit in the corner and think to myself " 'He has no games', they said. 'He wouldn't get his own logo' , they said. and they all laughed at me."

I admit everything else is wishful thinking haha but I'm fairly confident in that one thing. :p

:phone:

jigglover

Smash Lord
Isn't Diddy a part of the Mario Kart series now?
He was only in Mario Kart Wii (and possibly double dash but don't hold me to that, I don't know who else would be donkey's partner though) but he isn't in Mario kart 7, that's for sure.
@Volbound, Kamek is generally grouped in the Yoshi series, and King boo in the luigi's mansion series (some people think Luigi will get his own series so that there is more room for a mushroom rep.)

D

Deleted member

Just decided to go to GameFAQs and I saw this.

This doesn't mean much, but interpret this to your will:

As of now, these are the vote counts:
Paper Mario: 86
Waluigi: 86
Bowser Jr.: 77
Toad: 61
Geno: 61
Rosalina: 28
Fawful: 22
Daisy: 15
Birdo: 10
Others: 15

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I just wish Yoshi is absorbed in Mario's franchise, where he belongs to.
I always found wrong that he was on his own.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I think it just proves the fact that GameFAQs has a Waluigi and Paper Mario bias. I'm surprised Bowser Jr. managed to get that many votes.

I just wish Yoshi is absorbed in Mario's franchise, where he belongs to.
I always found wrong that he was on his own.
When Yoshi was originally added, he had just come off games like SMW2, Yoshi's Safari, Tetris Attack (:glare:), and Yoshi's Story, so I could see then why he would be added under his own series. However nowadays I sort of agree, it's been a while since a Yoshi-led game, and he's pretty much used as an auxiliary character in Mario games and spin-offs. That said, I doubt he'll ever switch to the main Mario series in Smash, and truthfully he doesn't really need to.

I think the best solution is for a new Yoshi game to come out. :laugh:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe Geno doesn't have the fan support he used to, but I'd say he's still quite quite the fans.

His thread wasn't nearly the most active when I first started posting in it anyway pre-brawl.

What do you guys really think of King Boo being playable? If he is the main antagonist of Luigi's Mansion 2 that would mean he's been a prominate character twice now. Not to mention the dozens of other appearances his had, both in the main games and spin-offs. I think we should consider him as a possibility at this point.

[COLLAPSE="King Boo being the main antagonist seems likely"]
[/COLLAPSE]

I think he'd be pretty cool. He's not my first pick for a mario rep, but I'd definitely play as him if he was in. He'd be a really weird character to balance though since he is pretty big but would probably pretty light as well. Is there an offical thread for him on the boards? I'd love to see movesets for him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, I think King Boo would make a better boss than character.

The only way I can see him with a shot is if Luigi separates into his own Luigi's Mansion series. Which probably will never happen. And even if it did, there are more popular and deserving Mario characters to be added first to the main series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Traditional/Classic Mario
- Mario
- Luigi
- Peach
- Bowser
- Toad

RPG-centric Mario
- Mario
- Luigi
- Peach
- Bowser
- Geno OR Paper Mario

Rival-centric Mario
- Mario
- Luigi
- Peach
- Bowser
- Bowser Jr. OR Waluigi

Lazy Mario
- Mario
- Luigi
- Peach
- Bowser
- Dr. Mario OR no Mario newcomers

jigglover

Smash Lord
New era Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser jr.

Retro mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Toad

Slot-filler Mario
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Daisy
Waluigi
Geno
Paper mario
Spike
Chain chomp
Bullet Bill
(every other mario character.)

ACTUAL slot filler Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Daisy and/or (god help us) Walugi.

Actual Mario series:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong.
Yoshi
Wario.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You forgot one more...

The Big Eight Mario
- Mario
- Luigi
- Peach
- Toad
- Yoshi
- Donkey Kong
- Wario
- Bowser

The Big Eight

Also Diddy Kong has been in more than one Mario game. As far as I know, he was in these games:
- Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
- Mario Kart: Double Dash
- Mario Kart Wii
- Mario Power Tennis
- Mario Tennis Open
- Mario Strikers Charged
- Mario Superstar Baseball
- Mario Super Sluggers
- Mario Hoops 3-on-3
- Mario Sports Mix
- Fortune Street
- Mario Party 9

D

Deleted member

N3ON said:
I think it just proves the fact that GameFAQs has a Waluigi and Paper Mario bias. I'm surprised Bowser Jr. managed to get that many votes.
You can compare the race for a potential fifth Mario rep to that of an intense political race. No one can agree on anything and supporters will argue for their choices until they faint.

Go to a website and a character there will be mainly supported. GameFAQS mainly supports Paper Mario and Waluigi whereas Smashboards leans towards Toad and Bowser Jr. Clash those two websites together in a Mario discussion and we'll see one of the biggest flame wars the Smash speculation community has ever seen.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Bowser Jr.'s position seems about right. However, I'm pretty sure that the GameFAQs users are overestimating Waluigi's chances, along with Geno's chances.

D

Deleted member

Bowser Jr.'s position seems about right. However, I'm pretty sure that the GameFAQs users are overestimating Waluigi's chances, along with Geno's chances.
Technically, this is a popularity poll, not a likelihood poll.

But yeah, their chances are overrated.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Technically, this is a popularity poll, not a likelihood poll.

But yeah, their chances are overrated.
Then I'm pretty surprised that Rosalina's popularity level isn't up there, seeing as she managed to get a positive reaction on one of the Nintendo Power magazines that I've recalled reading.

D

Deleted member

Then I'm pretty surprised that Rosalina's popularity level isn't up there, seeing as she managed to get a positive reaction on one of the Nintendo Power magazines that I've recalled reading.
Can't really say I'm surprised that Rosalina is doing so poorly.

Sure she has been received very well as a character, but good reception as a character doesn't translate to being a popular request for Smash. Plus given her recentness, she isn't nearly as well known as Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, or Waluigi (thought she is more recognizable than Geno by a long-shot, but we can blame Fatmanonice for making him notorious among the Smash community).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You can compare the race for a potential fifth Mario rep to that of an intense political race. No one can agree on anything and supporters will argue for their choices until they faint.

Go to a website and a character there will be mainly supported. GameFAQS mainly supports Paper Mario and Waluigi whereas Smashboards leans towards Toad and Bowser Jr. Clash those two websites together in a Mario discussion and we'll see one of the biggest flame wars the Smash speculation community has ever seen.
lol yeah that's a pretty good and unfortunately realistic analogy.

If you get Youtube involved *shudders* then Waluigi would win by a landslide. :rolleyes:

Honestly though, for me, I'd be happy with any of the four ending up playable. I'd even be satisfied having Geno (but that's personal bias :awesome::embarrass:), though I really think his chances have been incredibly overblown. It's when characters like Daisy or the Baby Bros. or really any of the bottom half of that poll (Sorry M&SGuy, Rosalina is one of my favorite Mario characters, but I don't think she's at the level of the "main four" yet) are suggested that I get worked up about the "Mario rep". :laugh:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know that I'm probably asking for something that's not too likely to happen, especially when Rosalina is having appearance issues; the last game she appeared in is Mario Kart 7, which is a spin-off title. But it could be a major shocker if Rosalina somehow made the cut.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know that I'm probably asking for something that's not too likely to happen, especially when Rosalina is having appearance issues; the last game she appeared in is Mario Kart 7, which is a spin-off title. But it could be a major shocker if Rosalina somehow made the cut.
Yeah, if Rosalina somehow did make it into SSB4, I wouldn't be upset that she made it in over someone else (as I like her as a character), even though I bet a bunch of other people would be. I guess I would mostly just be very surprised.

Honestly, I think right now being an AT is the best place for her. I thought that rumor about her being an AT in Brawl and spawning healing star bits was great, I'd love to see her work that way in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

If you get Youtube involved *shudders* then Waluigi would win by a landslide. :rolleyes:

Honestly though, for me, I'd be happy with any of the four ending up playable. I'd even be satisfied having Geno (but that's personal bias :awesome::embarrass:), though I really think his chances have been incredibly overblown. It's when characters like Daisy or the Baby Bros. or really any of the bottom half of that poll (Sorry M&SGuy, Rosalina is one of my favorite Mario characters, but I don't think she's at the level of the "main four" yet) are suggested that I get worked up about the "Mario rep". :laugh:
Having looked at many YouTube rosters, the community seems to prefer Bowser Jr. the most for a Mario rep. Not sure about IGN since that Smash forum is worth nothing, but I guess Bowser Jr. there as well. Of course it's hard to determine what is the most popular Mario character on YouTube (or any speculation info on it) due to there being a gazillion YouTube Smash 4 roster video out there.

Totally agree with the bottom paragraph. We must be one of like fifty people in this world that would be happy with any of the five most popular Mario reps. I guess you could say that all of them have their charms that appeals me to them.

As for Geno, it's rather amazing that he has stayed within the speculation community for so long (pre-Melee until now). Last year, he was going the way of Poo, a popular choice pre-Melee that faded away by the time the pre-Brawl hype started. Now Geno has rebounded. While not among the Top 5 most wanted characters, he is decently popular and I would not be surprised if he remained as such throughout the rest of the Smash 4 hype. Heck, I could see him being a permanent part of the Smash speculation community, being passed down game to game as a legend among the community and I think a small community for him will always exist, even in a much diminished form.

Of course his chances are slim at best, that no one can deny. But for such an unimportant character, how he has maintained support for over a decade is very impressive and shows that almost anything can become popular just that that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Having looked at many YouTube rosters, the community seems to prefer Bowser Jr. the most for a Mario rep. Not sure about IGN since that Smash forum is worth nothing, but I guess Bowser Jr. there as well. Of course it's hard to determine what is the most popular Mario character on YouTube (or any speculation info on it) due to there being a gazillion YouTube Smash 4 roster video out there.
Yeah, you're right. When they're not ridiculously clogged with Mario characters, most of the rosters just have Bowser Jr. on them. I was unfortunately referring mostly to the terrible terrible comments, where (at least for the videos I've seen), it seems like every second comment is either asking for Waluigi or Shadow.

Totally agree with the bottom paragraph. We must be one of like fifty people in this world that would be happy with any of the five most popular Mario reps. I guess you could say that all of them have their charms that appeals me to them.
Pretty much. ^_^
I think each one could bring something interesting to Smash, and would be someone that I would enjoy playing as. I know I can't have all of them, so honestly I'd be fine in whichever one we end up getting (if we even get one -- which I hope we do).

As for Geno, it's rather amazing that he has stayed within the speculation community for so long (pre-Melee until now). Last year, he was going the way of Poo, a popular choice pre-Melee that faded away by the time the pre-Brawl hype started. Now Geno has rebounded. While not among the Top 5 most wanted characters, he is decently popular and I would not be surprised if he remained as such throughout the rest of the Smash 4 hype. Heck, I could see him being a permanent part of the Smash speculation community, being passed down game to game as a legend among the community and I think a small community for him will always exist, even in a much diminished form.

Of course his chances are slim at best, that no one can deny. But for such an unimportant character, how he has maintained support for over a decade is very impressive and shows that almost anything can become popular just that that.
If Geno's popularity doesn't dissipate after Smash 4, then I would probably guess that he will always show up in Smash speculation as a controversial but somehow still popular underdog of sorts, like you said. As it seems now, his popularity might wane, but it always seems to come back eventually, although honestly I think his Smash fanbase will get progressively smaller. Unless he makes another appearance in some Mario game or something, in which case he'll probably explode. :laugh:

I wonder if he'll one day get to the point where Sakurai actually goes to the effort of trying to get him. I mean, if all the popular characters get included this time around (Ridley, K. Rool, Little Mac, Mewtwo, Roy, Isaac, Megaman, etc.) and Geno's popularity continues to stay, he won't only be one of the longest heavily requested characters, he'll also be one of the most popular again. Especially if there is still a divide among Mario character supporters.

Veggi

Smash Champion
@ Mario and Sonic Guy: Did you always like Rosalina or did it start recently? For some reason I don't remember you using Rosalina on the Mario Kart Wii forums, but I could be wrong.

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom