• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Super Fighting Robot! - Mega Man Base Moveset Guide

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
(on the last post sorry I was tired, I'm not sure where to put that.)

I think his shots are so essential to his playstyle that they could be the single biggest reason why people find him so weird to play, because to think of his A and f-tilt as a "jab" in the tradtional sense is obviously wrong it's basically a gun, and like in the Mega Man games themselves should be treated almost like the bread and butter of your ground game.

It could be useful though to compile a list of characters who can push their way through the pellets with some move like Dark Pits' forward-B. They'll probably know it too and you could maybe bait them into doing the move to set them up for an ice up-tilt or up-smash.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
And yeah. Air shooter is weird. I wonder if the final hit has a set push/knock back. I killed a Yoshi at 100% after shooting it at the top of a double jump... Iunno.
Tell me about it. Yesterday I killed Greninja at 81% with a "Landing Uair", thus hitting him while he was standing on the ground.
And I don't even think the Uair was fresh.
I'm not 100% sure. but on the replay, it sorta looks like Greninja Double Jumps while caught in it.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Back on the lemon topic. Retreating and advancing aerial lemons allow for amazing mobility while spacing.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Lemons leave MM pretty much defenseless and punishable after 3rd shot(or when you stop mid lemon triplet) unless you jump backwards on last shot; therefore,
Lemon Spam is relatively safe if you are willing to lose stage control. Lose stage control, safely possibly rack up minimal damage

According to training mode

full walking speed F-tilt triplet is not combo
point-blank jab/f-tilt is combo (duh)

Jab/F-tilt/N-air → Jab/F-tilt -> short hop -> N-air for 8-9%
(where [->] means immediately)
is a true combo though requires correct spacing and react time on hit confirm. Also the input is kinda difficult A → A -> jump -> A
though i find it impractical because MM must be fairly close (within U-tilt sour-spot range for reference) for it to string together but could be useful on tall characters since they can be hit with a falling N-air earlier
(interestingly training mode sees it as a 4 hit combo because N-air still shoots a lemon even on "sweetspot?" though it does 0%)

(edit)
Rising Full Hop N-air → F-air is seen on as combo

therefore its possible to do:

Jab/F-tilt/N-air → Jab/F-tilt -> Full Hop -> Rising N-air → F-air
This works at very low percents on VERY tall characters and the timing is very tricky. it seems the 'dead' lemon from the N-air has something to do with this

I speculate it's possible to vector N-air so F-air misses

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I like his down smash attack, I'm not sure what it's called, I call it Kane Fire because it reminds me of Kane 's pyro in when enters the ring, but I find it to be a good move to use.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Just gonna go OT for a sec here - this is the moveset-thread after all;
The POWA of Uair:
As you can see, Greninja gets KO'd at 81% by the grounded Ait Shooter. Uair too crazy.

Back to the lemons:
Back on the lemon topic. Retreating and advancing aerial lemons allow for amazing mobility while spacing.
This. Hence the reason why I think Nair is his best move.
Aside from the lemons, the initial knockback of his body is pretty sick.

I call it Kane Fire because it reminds me of Kane 's pyro in when enters the ring
That made my day. lol.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It's hilarious how a lot of players don't understand how to deal with standing jab. They just sit their and take it!

One thing I have found really nice with standing jab is to just shoot two at a time against characters who look to reflect your damage back. (Mario and Palutena come to mind) Firing only two bullets will have them cancel each other out. When their defense is down and they haven't chosen to retreat their shield/cape or leap towards you, they are always going to get hit by your jab. Roll back, just f-tilt towards them and repeat process if necessary.

I've played some games with a pretty good Palutena and got that kind of down. Haven't played against a Mario to see how well this works but I can bet it will be similar.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I've noticed that the lemons have slightly more knockback, but identical damage when they're fired at a closer range (But not so close that the buster itself is making contact). This allows them to combo together properly, instead of giving your opponent time to react after the first shot.

It's most noticeable on Bowser, who will stop armoring the lemons sooner if they're being fired at a closer range.

i'd like to throw this out here, the first hit of megaman's nair has a strong hit box that seems to have a fixed trajectory around the outer half of his buster to his leg. Seems like a strong gimping tool. Idk about the other 2 hits of it but i know it works on the first.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Also of note is that if 1 pellet hits in a string, it counts as 1 move for staling. This can be good or bad as it keeps a lot of other moves fresh, but the damage on the pellets are reduced (it goes into fractional %'s and then to 1% each).

Nair and grounded pellets are different with regards to staling, but I'm not sure about jab vs ftilt.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's been long enough so might as well keep the conversation going by moving on the arguably the next key move: Metal Blade

Will try to have an outline of the community guide soon. Are always looking for people willing to help.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Does MB get "deflected" (up or down) on 100% shields? I haven't tested it... but I think that's what it feels like

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Does MB get "deflected" (up or down) on 100% shields? I haven't tested it... but I think that's what it feels like
yes, but Idk how consistent it is. I throw a horizontal MB, they shield it and it ends up in the ground. I've never really understood that.

Doval

Smash Lord
Also of note is that if 1 pellet hits in a string, it counts as 1 move for staling. This can be good or bad as it keeps a lot of other moves fresh, but the damage on the pellets are reduced (it goes into fractional %'s and then to 1% each).

Nair and grounded pellets are different with regards to staling, but I'm not sure about jab vs ftilt.
I posted about this on the AT thread, the only thing the game takes into consideration for staling is whether you were grounded or airborne on frame 1. The particular hit that connects is irrelevant.

Lemons only combo when you're both up close and moving forward.

Last edited:

BromVanBrunt

Smash Rookie
It's worth noting that Metal Blade is immune to becoming stale, since it counts as a thrown item attack. Which means it's pretty much what it was in the games: a spammable second buster than can be fired in any direction.

metal blade is love

metal blade is life

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Metal blade doesn't stale, so it also doesn't appear in the cue, correct? (It won't help keep other moves fresh)

Doval

Smash Lord
Metal blade doesn't stale, so it also doesn't appear in the cue, correct? (It won't help keep other moves fresh)
Interestingly, it does enter the queue.

Skull Barrier becomes active much quicker than Leaf Shield and Plant Barrier. The start-up animation is exactly the same, but the leaves and flower petals are inactive between when they first appear and when they start to rotate, while Skull Barrier starts reflecting as soon as the skulls appear. That makes it just quick enough to use on reaction. The duration is shorter though, so if you're used to the timing for Leaf Shield or Plant Barrier disappearing you have to adjust your expectations.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Interestingly, it does enter the queue.
Very interesting. Does it enter the cue when thrown (or z-dropped) as an item?

Also, in general, when moves clash, do they enter the cue? Furthermore, do they enter if they hit non-character hurtboxes (if they hit Luma, tree, or item like a crate)? Sorry for the stale moves interruption of this discussion, I are curious.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Megaman can sometimes have a hard time landing and not getting juggled due to Rush giving extra landing lag (N-air is seamless, lag still sticks). b-reversed Metal Blade is the go to momentum shift option. it provide some cover and changes your momentum. it is a simple yet very important tech when it comes to gaining back stage control. Its especially useful when you began Rush Air Camping and looking for a safe landing. I've used it to successfully and consistently prevent megaman from being juggled by Rosalina and other notable jugglers.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Metal Blade has so many uses.. I've spammed it, used it as an unexpected throw move, and even tricked a player into picking it up once.

Meg's approach can also hinge on controlling space with the Metal Blades, I've preformed SH -> Metal Blade -> Jab combo multiple times.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I LOVE it when playing against a Villager who just plants a tree and stands behind it.

Crash Bomb > Metal Blade > Crash Bomb > Metal Blade > etc etc etc

the CB's explode on contact with the tree, and the metal blades go through it and hit him. even pocket allows you to throw another metal blade before he can pull it out and rethrow it. It's so amazing.

Metal Blades also lead to hit-confirm grabs/utilt/usmash and extend aerial strings. I've been really enjoying the fair > down angled MB > fair strings because the MB generally outlasts their airdodge to avoid another fair.

Overall, MB is just great.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just uploaded pictures of each move. Once I add in the already collected damage/kill %/Collapse Tags, writing will begin.

Are always looking for help, so just let me know if you're interested.

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
Just gonna go OT for a sec here - this is the moveset-thread after all;
The POWA of Uair:
Basically what I've been doing is saving this for when they are high percents, and then when they mash out of it, they get sent skyward. I read somewhere on here that if they don't move, UAir wont kill anyone, even at like 300 percent or something like that.

Butttttt, on the subject of Metal Blade. I've been getting more bang for my buck with using it to keep people out of the air or off the ground, depending on who I'm playing. They have been a great tool for playing mind games, convincing opponents you have a set pattern of attacks and then punishing them because they try to counter what they think will be your next move.

Like, I really like doing Metal blade > Top Spin a few times, and then usually an opponent will start to roll or be trying to attack through your top spin, you can punish them with grab super easily.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Z-dropping MBs is great for gimping and/or setting up kills off stage against a lot of characters.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Z-dropping a Metal Blade (MB) while pelleting (lemoning...mmm, zesty) also feels really nice. B-reversing a metal blade feels great too, and can lead to nice setups. It's also nice because it goes through so many things (does it go through Luma and hit Rosalina? I can't remember, sadly).

MB is just useful in general though because it can be used for pressure. Using it offstage feels rewarding and can help ensure a kill if you predict movements. Being able to throw it in eight directions just gives Mega so much freedom in terms of controlling his projectiles.

Doval

Smash Lord
On the subject of Metal Blade, I've been playing around with Shadow Blade and I think it's underrated. Since it can't be grabbed and comes back, it's trickier to deal with. The damage is lower than Metal Blade, but getting hit by it tends to have more serious repercussions. First, it combos with itself if it hits further away than half its range. Second, since it knocks the enemy towards you on the way back, it sets up an easy dash grab. If the opponent screws up and gets hit by a returning Shadow Blade up close, it's a free Mega Upper.

In my opinion Mega Man works best at mid range since that's where you have the biggest number of mixup options (buster shots, slide, Top Spin, charge shot, dash grab, dashing Spark Shock, and F-air/B-air) so Shadow Blade has a lot of appeal for fighting at those ranges. The downside is that you lose the ability to throw Metal Blades at people off the stage. (In my opinion losing the ability to throw it at distant targets on the stage isn't a big deal; Metal Blade isn't fast enough to catch opponents off guard over long distances, so even if you alternate it with Crash Bomb it's fairly easy to deal with.)

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Started to write some parts of the guide, feel free to let me know if there's anything I should change/remove/"let someone rewrite because mine's crap." Again if someone is interested in helping, just let me know and I'll send an invite to the PM.

Since we have threads for the other specials/have talked about MB already, anyone have any thoughts one Rush Coil?

I'm curious to know just how many mains actively use it's special properties. Anyone have any thoughts about recovering as Mega Man?

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I've used Rush to Escape Disadvantageous positions such as being back to the ledge. Rush out and Rush Air camping I.E. Continuously land back on Rush or using Rush to stay airborne Until you can recover safely. Airdodge > land on Rush > airdodge is relatively safe; however Long lasting hitboxes can get ya. Use Combination of B-reversed Metal Blade, Double jump And fast Fall, and maybe Leaf Shield to land with out being juggled. Nair is a good landing option as is has no lag and lemon can disrupt a chase. Very strong and virtually nonpunishable on Characters that have trouble keeping up with Megamans Air Speed or Have a Hard time getting juggles, such as Lil Mac.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
My friend is no MM main, but he's picked up a lot of the tech due to the limited selection when he had the demo lol. He actually did use the crash bomb once to help him recover by rush coiling into it, was showing off but still it was cool seeing it in action. I mean, at higher percents mastering stage teching allows this to still be used, plus it covers a decent amount of area with its hit box. I doubt this will become widely used due to the risks outweighing the rewards, but still a different way of looking at it.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Don't throw away everything you know about Rush Cancel just yet - it is still in according to a YouTuber named JoeYoshi who happens to own the game and has original footage of what is clearly the final product in order to prove it. He never demonstrates Rush Cancelling in his videos but he did say that it is still in the comments of his Gamer video. He said that the physics engine is exactly the same as it was in the 3DS version allowing Rush Cancelling to still be possible.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Random thought I had at work: jumping off rush stops all horizontal momentum you have, correct? When you jump off him, you go straight up. Could this be used like bucket braking in brawl?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Alright, I figured it'd be alright so I went ahead and edited in the ATs and quotes.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
So, how does everyone feel about beat now that rush canceling is gone?
Pretty much the same, allows you to chase farther but not much else as far as I know.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
you're really committed when using Beat. In my limited trials of it, I get hit out of a lot of recoveries. so personally, I'd never use it

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't use Beat, you can't jump after using it if I'm not mistaken. Plus with Rush, your immune to most meteors as Rush will just spring you back up if your hit with a meteor after using him, often when the char who spiked you is in an animation and can't defend themselves/lets you get back on stage safer (Unless they're Robin with their UpB spike I suppose.) Also rush on the stage to double UAir is a thing and its pretty funny pulling it off on someone.

So, lemons... Still trying to find the best way to use them for spacing. Retreating Nairs aren't really a thing, so do I just fire one or two, then move and keep doing that, while maybe tossing out a Fair or a retreating/advancing Bair?

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Since the title is still about Rush:
Rush escaping is kind of... not good anymore. I don't think it comes out frame 1 like it used to. Even then, you're stuck in place for 5 frames while you are getting ready to jump off of Rush. I think we're better off just double jumping now (although it comes in handy to mixup landings).

Rush camping is still awesome, so there's that. I personally think Rush is amazing as a recovery compared to the other 2. Also, in doubles, you can save your partner with some practice.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sorry about that, changed it to Super Arm/Throws, as quite honestly I think they're the least talked about moves.

Has anyone found uses for F/B Throws yet? Down Throw is awesome, and I've found some use for Up Throw with Air Shooter and Danger Wrap, but the others not so much.

The guide has been slowly getting updated. Please let us know if you have anything you'd like to add, replace, or just help out in general with. Pictures from the Wii U version are currently needed.

Top Bottom