• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subspace attacks the battlefield! Shadow Bugs join the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disclaimer:
Before we start I would like to add that this is highly unlikely due to the amount of transformations that would have to take place (a SSE enemy forming each attack) this thread was more for the challenge and to see what you guys would think if something like this happened. Would you enjoy it or hate that they “took a spot?”

General

The Shadow Bug sounds like an odd character choice (it’s a purple blob on the floor), but it brings the entire SSE army with it. Each one of its moves quickly turns it into an enemy from the SSE story mode, once the move is finished it transforms back into a mass of Shadow Bugs. Its specials, A moves, and even its running animation are all made out of members of the army. Nearly all of the enemies are here in one way or another.

Why Shadow Bugs?

There is no Story Mode in SSB4, so there is a chance the SSE won’t be referenced at all. With the Shadow Bug we get every enemy from that mode, which represent a big and original part of Smash without actually having the mode itself. Also with the Shadow Bug we don’t have to choose which enemies get represented, or settle for the rather generic Primid. Also, all of the work making the models is done; just import them from Brawl and polish them a little.

Play style

When standing still the Shadow Bugs are nothing but a purple mass with Primid heads occasionally rising up and then going back down as it appears in its trophy pictured above. When standing and walking it is about the size of Ivysure. When jumping they bunch together into a spherical mass the size of Kirby. In both of these states they are hard to hit. The catch to this is they are most vulnerable when they are attacking. The Shadow Bug moveset may seem random, but there is a theme throughout: the majority of its moves are very slow, but very powerful. Timing your attacks perfectly is key. Once you figure out how moves work you can dominate a match. Couple it with the quick movement speed and small size (when not attacking) the Shadow Bug is a force to be reckoned with; rush in, knock your opponent down, and punish them with slow powerful smashes

Shadow Bug Moveset

[COLLAPSE=Specials:]

B: Roturent Fire: The Bugs form a Roturent. The Roturent automatically fires three shots every 4 seconds. If you continue to hold down B you can rotate the turret to point in any direction. The catch is the shots are incredibly predicable and, more importantly, you can’t move in this state. Your best strategy is to transform quickly, punish anyone playing keep away, and change back before they get to you.

Forward B:
Bombed Head: The Bugs turn into a Bombed and throws its head forward. This is a powerful bomb (Stronger than a Bomb-omb, weaker than Eletrode explosion) will stay on the ground for 3 seconds or when it makes contact with an opponent. The catch is that it has to remain a headless Bombed until the bomb explodes. It is defenseless; only able to run around the stage.

Down B:
Bytan spawn: The Bugs spawn two Bytans on either side of itself. These Bytans behave like they do in the SSE, though a bit more lackadaisical. They will usually stand still, moving forward every once in a while. If approached they will attack by racing foward. They can be killed in the same way Waddle Dees can. The difference is the Bugs can’t spawn more the two Bytans at a time. If one is killed it can spawn another, but it can't have more then two.

Up B:
Armight Slash: The Bugs turn into an Armight and floats up slowly. This vertical ascension can be directed left and right. If it makes contact with an opponent it performs the powerful double slash it has in the SSE and sends the opponent flying. If he doesn't make contact it transforms back and plummets.

Final Smash:
Tabuu summon: The background of the stage rips open and Taboo appears from the void. (Like Palutena for Pit’s FS) He spreads his wings and sends out his infamous shockwaves. These shockwaves act similar to the way they do in the game itself. Blasting from the middle and flying out. The player controls when these blasts come out with the B button. There are 5 total.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE=A moves:]

A combo: Mites: Mites jump out of the bug’s feet first then run back into the puddle. These Mites can come out in a stream.

Forward A: Autolance: A Autolance slams the opponent with its lance. Quick with great range, it has more power at the base. The catch is there is lag after the attack

Smash A: Nagagog: A Nagagog smash forward with a punch. The size will change based on how long you charge it, but since the attack area is in his fist the area it hits won’t change.

Running A: Ticken: A Ticken, with comb up, dashes forward slamming opponents. After it lands it breaks and the little birdy flies out.

Up A: Trowlon: A Trowlon boost upward out of the Bugs.

Up Smash: Greap: A Greap forms and slashes the air above it.

Down A: Mizzo: A Mizzo forms on the ground and flails it’s arms and legs on the ground. Hits on both sides.

Down Smash: Gamyga: A Gamyga forms and slams on the ground. The longer you charge the attack the more pieces will form at it's base. The head which wiggles a little, and then disappears.

Arial:

Nutural: Shaydas: The Bugs quickly transforms into Shaydas and performs a powerful slash. This is very powerful and intimidating, but it only affects a small area: directly where the blades cross.

Forward: Feyesh: Transforming into a Feyesh and “swims” forward a little then swipes with its tentacles. The swim can be cancled and attack imdeitly by pressing A again.

Back: Spaak: Transforming into a Spaak, the cloud whips around shocking directly behind itself. There is a small purple orb that forms when it swipes. This is a sweet spot.

Up: Puppit: A quick transformation into Puppit and slashes, sending the opponent flying upward

Down: Buckot: A very powerful move, the Bugs transform into Buckot and dump its red hot iron chunks onto the opponent. [/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE=Throws:]

Throws:
Grab: Bucculus jumps forward out of the Bugs

Pummel: Bucculus sucks the opponent

Forward: The Bugs transform into Borboras and gust the opponent forward

Back: The Bugs place the opponent behind it, change into Cymul, and spin a few times before pushing them away.

Up: transforming into an Armank it hurls the opponent upward.

Down: Slams the opponent on the ground, transforms into Auroros, flips into the air, and stabs the opponent[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE=Animation & Taunts:]

Animation:
The Bug’s movement is even made out of SSE members. It only stays a shapeless blob of incomplete Primids (like its trophy) when standing, walking, and jumping. SSE members make up the rest of its movement:

Run animation: Poppant run (doesn't drop items)

Sleep animation: Towtow sleeping

Shield: Jyk (doesn't do damage)

Dodge: Floow drift into the background

Item animation: Primids. Unlike most, the Primid transformation is permanent as long as you are holding an item (except for specials.) The animation (run, jump, damage, sword, gun, and throw) can all be reused from Brawl, just with a graphic touch-up.

Taunts:

The puddle spawns a shower of shadow bugs that shoot out like a fountain

The puddle shoots a few shadow bugs out that explode like fireworks

The Primid mass inside itself gets more active, as if longing to come out and attack.

[/COLLAPSE]

There you have it: The army itself coming from beyond the story mode to take on the smashers in Vs. mode. Their mode may be gone, but they represent it on the battlefield. Each one of Tabuu's minions being formed to hold their own against Nintendo's finest.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
You know, as desperate to find some outlandish idea that this thread is, it's not a half-bad idea. I mean, if we had to get a SSE representative as a playable character (and I really stress that 'had'), this is much better than a generic Primid no one cares about or the OP Tabuu. At least the Shadow Bugs are the main "composition", if you will, of the Subspace Army, and I feel like they'd better represent the mode and its antagonists as a whole. Still, the idea that the SSE should get a playable rep to begin with is highly contentious. I think a stage representation is pretty reasonable, however. Isle of the Ancients, for example.

As for the moveset, honestly, I'd rather the playstyle revolve around copying and/or corrupting enemies, since that's what the Shadow Bugs do. Some mild use of enemy shape-shifting would be nice, but it's not an idea that I feel is very amusing to entertain. What if, for example, Shadow Bugs were able to clone their opponent and create a "dark" version of that character to fight alongside them as an AI minion (that could of course be killed)? I think that'd be more interesting and in "character", but that's just me.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Ya know, I actually really like this idea. I'm probably one of the few people who liked the SSE enemies, so it'd be nice to see them represented. I've always supported Primid, but this is just an amazing(and creative) idea!

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
While I'm staunchly against the idea of a "Smash Bros." representative (I feel that spot should have just gone to an actual character), this isn't that bad of an idea. Certainly a better idea than the usual ideas I hear: Sandbag, Wire Frames, Tabuu or Master Hand.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Not counting Giga Bowser, at this point R.O.B is the closest thing we have to a smash rep because of the Ancient Minister history, his icon looking like the SSE icon and moveset created for smash, but just by looking at how people reacted for him being playable (even to this day there are still people who him to be cut) and at the SSE in general, I don't know if a Smash rep would be well recieved =/

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I read the intro and thought, "This is a good idea!"
But then I looked at the specials and was reminded of how horrible all SSE enemies are.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I honestly like this idea. Even though SSE lacked a lot of Nintendo enemies (I mean, I guess they summed up everything with Goombas and Koopas, because seeing Octoroks, Metroids or Waddle Dees isn't a choice, it's all 'bout Mario exposure to the public) , having them as a fighting character would be honestly really interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom