• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stutter Step x2

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
There are two kinds of "stutter step" and this is neither. I think you should name this a sliding smash or something since the mechanic that makes it work is much different and the result is different as well.

The two kinds of stutter step smashing are
a)left on the control, right on the c-stick (which you named)
b)right on the control stick, right on the c-stick (discovered by yours truly)

and then we have your discovery (I'll credit it to you because you put me on the track of finding it)
c) lightly tap the control stick right, smash the control stick left, and smash the c-stick right-- all in immediate succession. (smashing the control stick in the first step will result in a dash attack or a stutter step)

To give you an idea on distance between the three things we have here I went to Final destination and used the dark green arrows on the stage that point outward as a guide. I put Sonic's toe to one tip and measured how many times I would have to do a technique to get his body entirely on the other side of the arrow.

a) Takes 3 stutter steps no matter how you do it
b) Takes 2 if you time it right
c) Takes 1

So in other words, your method yields 3xs the distance of what most people on the Sonic forum have been using, and 2xs what I've been using. Of course, the need for each will probably be situational but it's good to add as much to the ol' technique arsenal as possible.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the reason why it is different can be seen in the tapping of the control stick. If you smash the control stick as you do in a stutter step you will see your character dash. If you tap and then smash in the opposite direction you will see your character move forward ever so slightly and then quickly run in the opposite direction. To distill that even further, if you just do the tap you will notice that instead of going into the dash animation, the character just takes a short shuffle forward. I tested what would happen if you just did the tap and the smash and instead of sliding the initial short move forward is the only distance added to the smash.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
The range doesn't actually magically get enhanced. You just "slide" a little.
Umm..no, you actually do get a noticeable increase on range. The player in the vid didn't use it to its maximum potential.

Dominate::

As much as I'd like to make those kinds of contributions, I hardly have time for such things. More than we need an Technique list, is a General System Changes thread, as Brawl is obviously a different animal in itself. A thread like that could actually promote the finding of more advanced things by giving people an easier reference to the subtle things that make Brawl so entirely different.

TwinkleToes:

What the heck are you talking about?

-Kye

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Lol, how am I supposed to make it clearer?

This smash gives you added range and there are other methods which will move you a shorter distance should it be necessary. That's it in a nutshell... I just clarified some inequities I found in the original post that no one else brought up.

aho43

Smash Lord
pressing right + csticking right.. is just walking and smashing

the reason the "stutter stepping" happens is because if you cstick a smash backwards, the character seems to take a step backwards with their smash. Interestingly this doesn't happen if you smash with the A button. So when you press back a little while you cstick one direction, what is happening is that your character turns around and then when you cstick your smash, they take a tiny step forward.

Now, as for pivotting. Here is what a pivot is. When you are dash dancing, inbetween the initial dash animations your character goes into a standing animation. A pivot is when you cancel your dash dancing into this standing frame. You can either do it after multiple initial dashes, or after 1 initial dash. From this standing frame you can do anything, smash tilt gra jab, whatever. Its a standing animation. When people talk about pivot smashig. They mean they initial dash in one direction, cancel it with a pivot, then cstick their smash asap. This isn't a new discovery, but it seems lots of the new Brawl people don't know this stuff, so good job finding it on your own.

Pivot grab is when you grab backwards from a full dash animation. Nothing to do with pivotting. I think you guys should post videos before you new technique, or make a thread asking what so and so phenomenon is, before claiming new technique.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Actually I found that stutter stepping doesn't work for marth but my double stutter step which I guess is actually a second version of a pivot does. It increases his range slightly.
Because Marth definitely needed more range.
*grumble*

LuCKy

Smash Master
There are two kinds of "stutter step" and this is neither. I think you should name this a sliding smash or something since the mechanic that makes it work is much different and the result is different as well.

and then we have your discovery (I'll credit it to you because you put me on the track of finding it)
c) lightly tap the control stick right, smash the control stick left, and smash the c-stick right-- all in immediate succession. (smashing the control stick in the first step will result in a dash attack or a stutter step)

To give you an idea on distance between the three things we have here I went to Final destination and used the dark green arrows on the stage that point outward as a guide. I put Sonic's toe to one tip and measured how many times I would have to do a technique to get his body entirely on the other side of the arrow.

c) Takes 1

So in other words, your method yields 3xs the distance of what most people on the Sonic forum have been using, and 2xs what I've been using. Of course, the need for each will probably be situational but it's good to add as much to the ol' technique arsenal as possible.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the reason why it is different can be seen in the tapping of the control stick. If you smash the control stick as you do in a stutter step you will see your character dash. If you tap and then smash in the opposite direction you will see your character move forward ever so slightly and then quickly run in the opposite direction. To distill that even further, if you just do the tap you will notice that instead of going into the dash animation, the character just takes a short shuffle forward. I tested what would happen if you just did the tap and the smash and instead of sliding the initial short move forward is the only distance added to the smash.
i think i finally understand this....lol ty buddy

domiNate

Smash Apprentice

c) Takes 1

Okay, we really need names for these things. Two stutter steps is too much haha. But thanks a ton for clearing all this up. Maybe stutter step, reverse stutter step, double stutter step, or whatever I really don't care at all, I just want different names for different techniques. But once again, thanks for clearing stuff up and for testing all this out. And lucky might I just add, I can't wait to see you add all these techs to your arsenal being the sonic enthusiast that I am.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
pressing right + csticking right.. is just walking and smashing
Not really. I've only been doing this with Sonic (because I hate everyone else :O) but the speed/distance which he goes forward is faster/further than a quick step forward and I'm smashing the stick so I should be entering a dash animation if anything. And in fact, if you do the c-stick smash too slowly you will do a dash attack. If this was just a walk followed by a smash the timing would never matter.

Now, as for pivotting. Here is what a pivot is. When you are dash dancing, inbetween the initial dash animations your character goes into a standing animation. A pivot is when you cancel your dash dancing into this standing frame. You can either do it after multiple initial dashes, or after 1 initial dash. From this standing frame you can do anything, smash tilt gra jab, whatever. Its a standing animation. When people talk about pivot smashig. They mean they initial dash in one direction, cancel it with a pivot, then cstick their smash asap. This isn't a new discovery, but it seems lots of the new Brawl people don't know this stuff, so good job finding it on your own.
Pivot smashing is a Melee term though, and in Melee you never had any sliding momentum when you did a smash out of a pivot. I'm not sure if you realize this, but you slide quite a noticeable amount if you do this in Brawl. And that's another difference: the SLIDE. You are sliding into the forward smash as opposed to running into it. This means that your run speed isn't what affects the distance/speed of the movement. Traction might have something to do with it, someone else can test that if they want, but it's definitely distinct from the dash-dance pivot smash.

I admit videos would make this whole thing a lot clearer, but not everyone can get those up so don't complain.

@Lucky & Dominate, glad I could help.

Alsark

Smash Rookie
This doesn't really seem to do a whole lot for Snake, from what I've found. It is definitely worthwhile for Captain Falcon, though.

Enoch-Fox

Smash Cadet
this for serious is just cancelling out of a dash into another dash into a smash attack. fr srs.

Damax

Smash Lord
this for serious is just cancelling out of a dash into another dash into a smash attack. fr srs.
yeah like a dash dance into forward smash, except if you start it while walking backwards for certain characters like mario and sonic it gets increase range, so that's why we 'dash dance rather than just doing the stutter step

the increased forward smash was the original name for the (hold control stick backwards befor smashing with c stick to slide) I think it was in the sonic threads.

so basically its a dash canceled/dance into increased forward smash.

Enoch-Fox

Smash Cadet
no i'm not joking
but if there were videos it would be clearer that there IS a difference if there is one
from what i've heard about how to perform it (start a dash left, quickly dash right and c-stick left) whenever I do this maneuver what I get is a dash-cancel-dash-cancel-smash

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
I too support this find. I don't think it's a dash cancel, I think it's the game's auto forward smash vs. dash checks that allow it to occur (otherwise every time you went to F-smash you'd dash attack which would be hella gay).

Pro on Marths anyone?

J-PiPe

Smash Rookie
Having two distinct techniques named "Pivot" is confusing.

I suggest we name this one "Dash Dance Revolution"

Seriously though, it sounds like all sonic players need to learn how to do this.

-GK
well i guess i need to start doing Dash Dance Revolution! lol

Nimkip

Smash Rookie
I don't know if this was mentioned before or is already known, but I just found out that it has nothing to do with dashing. It's simply just f-smashing in the direction that your back is facing that gives you that extra distance.

Damax

Smash Lord
I don't know if this was mentioned before or is already known, but I just found out that it has nothing to do with dashing. It's simply just f-smashing in the direction that your back is facing that gives you that extra distance.
yes exactly, the dash as nothing to do in this except you can only cancel a dash in another dash.

at Nessbounder: no sorry, you can only ''stutter step'' once for wolf. basically he can dash cancel into forward smash as long as you slam the C stick as far as his dash dance goes. Smashing backwards gives nothing to wolf. it might reduce it?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Yeah, undo that stupid control configuration. Both wave bouncing and RARing can be done without the c-stick so why bother? As far as I know there's only a very minor difference in RAR distance with the standard set up and that's just based on how nimble your fingers are.

Plus, you're losing out on so much more when you remove a-moves from your c-stick. There's already quite a bit of other proven a-c-stick moves that are possible both on the ground and in there air.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i guess now is a better time than any to ask. How would one record something on their television and move it to their computer? Lets say, if i were to make a video, and i didn't want to hold a camcorder up the entire time and record just whats on the television, what hardware would i need?

Top Bottom