• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

stun after pokemon switch?

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
this is such a random character but i think it'd be really fun to main with. but do you think they will have a few frames after they switch pokemon where your vulnerable to avoid people spaming the swap move to buy time in 4 player free for alls?

Rabid_Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
this is such a random character but i think it'd be really fun to main with. but do you think they will have a few frames after they switch pokemon where your vulnerable to avoid people spaming the swap move to buy time in 4 player free for alls?
That's a good point. I know I'm maining PT (Along with Zelda, Metaknight, and Dedede) so this is a question that interests me. I assume they'd put in something to the effect of that to stop the spamming, but you never know. I've heard it takes awhile for the Poke'mon to come out of their Poke'ball, so that in itself is a disadvantage in time battles and free for alls....

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
That's a good point. I know I'm maining PT (Along with Zelda, Metaknight, and Dedede) so this is a question that interests me. I assume they'd put in something to the effect of that to stop the spamming, but you never know. I've heard it takes awhile for the Poke'mon to come out of their Poke'ball, so that in itself is a disadvantage in time battles and free for alls....
oh i didnt know it took time to switch. maybe you'll be able to be attacked while in the pokeball then...i personally think it'd be hilarious if you colud be picked up and thrown for a short period as if you were a normal pokeball haha ah your maining some of the same i want to. but i unno about deedede. he seems like he's gunna be an awkward character to use.

ngtm

Smash Cadet
no i've played ptrain already and what happens is you can only switch on the ground but when you do its almost instantaneous and you are invulnerable. after the pokemon is recalled the second pokeball is thrown out and lands on the ground. This all takes about 1-2 seconds. When the pokeball hits the ground you could actually decide when to pop out (this has a max limit waiting time though) giving it another bonus because what people will do is come over to the ball and start charging a smash waiting for you to pop out. the timing is up to you you could pop out early or wait until the smash has gone past the charge and then come out. I was actually able to come out with ivysaur and go almost straight into a shield before my enemies smash could hit me. This character is the ****

Fatal_Aroma

Smash Rookie
I didn't know about the timing of popping out part, but I do believe there is a little window of time when switching where you are vulnerable to attack, but if you can choose when to pop out that helps tremendously.

ngtm

Smash Cadet
I didn't know about the timing of popping out part, but I do believe there is a little window of time when switching where you are vulnerable to attack, but if you can choose when to pop out that helps tremendously.
you definitely do/can choose when to pop out and im sure right after you press down+b you are invulnerable until you pop out. And there seems to be a potential for no delay if you fast fall or l-cancel to a shield if someone's charging a smash waiting for you to emerge. I've gotten caught popping out of the pokeball a few times but by the end i was timing it so i popped out and going straight into a shield so its actually pretty good if done right. the vulnerable frames is only my perception from my experience playing it and having someone waiting with a charged smash for me to come out of the pokeball...the delay of emerging from the pokeball is definitely useful and a good way of countering cheap spawn point guarding.

*note: i haven't figured out yet whether you fast fall or l-cancel out of the pokeball to go into a shiled straight away or if its even necessary to do that but i have definitely gone straight from pokeball to shield so its possible...

tacticslord

Smash Rookie
What are you pressing to time the release? I tried to do it for a while yesterday and couldn't seem to control it. They did come out at different times every time and it almost looked random but I'm really hoping that's not the case cause that would annoy me to no end.

Fatal_Aroma

Smash Rookie
Yea I'm having trouble timing anything as well. But I do find that jamming down on the thumbstick does seem to reduce vulnerability, probably fast falling out of the ball so I can shield ASAP.

ngtm

Smash Cadet
i'm pretty sure all you do is press b again if nothing else it might be down-b but ya, fatal aroma, the fastfall to shield is how its done.

tacticslord

Smash Rookie
I could have sworn I gave that a shot, but I'll try it again when I have the chance. The fast fall sounds like a good idea. Thanks to you both.

Kruton

Smash Ace
I know I've punished a P. Trainer after changing Pokemon, but they could have blocked it for all I know.

Top Bottom