• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Struggling against luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

WastedWonder

Smash Rookie
Hey fellers, I'm kinda new here and I jst wana asks a few of you for some tips because I'm having alot of trouble beating my brother when he plays luigi it's Extreemly frustrating because I used to have no problem beating him but all of a sudden he beats me like 5 games in a row and now I just can't beat him, the thing is I discoverd "Competative Play" so I've been practicing L Canceling, Wave Dashing and DIing, i pull off My L cancel about 60% of the time and I can do some decent combos so you would think I would have the upper hand because he doesn't L cancel or Wave dash or DI. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong oh and also he's luigis Nair hits through like every one of my damn moves. So yeah I'm kinda stuck so if anyone could please give me some tips I use cpt falcon. Thanks guys :D

Teriko

(・_・ヾ
Learning advanced techniques and stuff isnt gonna win you any matches just like that.

I'm no expert or anything, but I'd focus more on what your character is capable of, like what tools does falcon have to beat luigi? ( check some falcon guide/matchup thread for the basics).

It's also important to have a good feel for your character, so I think it's a good idea to just practice all your moves (including shielding, dodging and recovering), even if you think you may know them. Learn the timing and range by heart so you can link different moves into each other. Plug in a second controller and let 2nd player just stand there so you can practice alone.
If you decide to practice on cpus, use lv3/4's and focus on one thing at a time. For instance sweetspotting forward airs, edgeguarding (edgehogging is very useful), juggling your opponent in air, etc. Just dont get too used to fighting cpus however.. Humans are different.

To make good use of all that you need think about more fundamental things such as spacing, baiting, punishing ( this is what dashdancing is useful for). Know when to approach and look for these openings. Really watch your opponent, dont just run in.
Most of this comes from actually playing vs real opponents, so don't expect direct results. Just keep all this in your head, so you know what you have to improve on. This is the most important part by far.

There's definately more to it but yeah.. Basically practice.. And think a lot.

I'm like the biggest scrub in town so half of this might be total BS, idk, but hopefully this helps, dont give up

Last edited:

oats_

Smash Apprentice
Not to disrespect, but if you are only getting 60% of L cancels as falcon you really need to get it consistent. Falcon without shffl is pretty bad, and its not like you can make up for it with tech chasing in this MU (vs Luigi)

JKJ

Smash Ace
In my experience, first learning advanced techniques makes you play worse. It's only once you truly incorporate them that you get way better.
If you used to beat him, but now you cant, this is probably why. Keep at it, it'll come.

D

Deleted member

Get Luigi in the air and do all you can in your power not to let him get on the ground again

Aka spam uair and stomp knees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom