• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter x Tekken

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Alpha Counters...
Their your best friend against pressure.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Alpha Countering is too good. Most of my meter is saved for that.

I wish more people would counter into switch cancel more. I'd also like to see more people using Alpha Counters to punish opponents trying to switch cancel on block for a happy birthday.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i have one question for capcom?

yes, shortcuts are all well and wonderful but wtf were you thinking with hugo? he has both a 360 kick special and a half circle back kick special

GUESS WHAT THE SHORTCUT IS FOR A 360 MOTION

it's a half-circle plus 1 direction (so in number notation, if a half circle back is 63214, the shortcut for a 360 is 963214)

you know how annoying that is?

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Played this game for about 30 mins, don't know too much, however from my 30 mins of this game and I'm quite shocked to say this, because of how harsh I was about this game.

Although I'm not a huge fan of this game and feel it's quite gimmicky with all of the ridiculous juggles, I can say that I do in fact enjoy this game much more so then I do U. TatsuMarvel 3. The fact that footsies are actually very viable in this game makes me smile and with that, Ryu is simply boss in this game, as to how good he is so I'm just basing this off of my 30 mins worth of playing.

Haven't gotten into doing much with him, however I'll take a crack of this game more possibly tonight or later tomorrow. Funny thing is, I bought it a few days after release date but it was still in its package until today.j

Anyhow, gotta get back to work again.

Yes, you heard it from me, a huge criticizer of this game (possibly within this thread) thinking that this game is actually quite fun.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm still trying to warm up to this game. I'm liking it more than before. I agree about liking how footsies play a big role in this game and I like that. I still don't like how jump ins are pretty strong, but I've learned how to deal with them in SFXT. I just don't like how people try to guess a jump in so they can get that 40 percent juggle.
Ryu is simply boss in this game, as to how good he is so I'm just basing this off of my 30 mins worth of playing.
They pretty much took almost everything what I liked about Ryu from each game.
Pseudo fake fireball, cancellable crouch roundhouse, donkey kick, along with being able to abuse Alpha Counters again. Only thing missing is HF Ryu's tatsu.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ryu, rufus, ken, juri, kazuya, rolento, and raven are the best characters in the game

no one else matters :3

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually, I haven't been hearing good things about Ken.

I think I'm gonna have to put Xiao on hold until I can find a suitable teammate for her. King X Julia, instead of the other way, seems to work better than King as anchor.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ken's dumb

once people really start to abuse the special move charge, shenanigans will enforce
i only say this because what happens when you charge a special move to level 1 (the ex level) and then dash cancel it, your next move will have counter hit properties NO MATTER WHAT, so ken now gets a free overhead ground bounce on 2 of his command normals

but basically, he's a lesser man's ryu and the main reason why he's not as good as ryu is because he doesn't have that stupidly safe donkey kick

Minato

穏やかじゃない
That... isn't what makes Ryu better than Ken in this game. Not to mention that only L/M/EX are punishable on block unless the Ryu spaces correctly. But that's the opponent's fault for staying at that distance where Ryu wants you. H Joudan is plus on block, but iirc, it's like Yun's shoulder in AE how you can DP during the start up since it's not a valid block string.

Ken charge cancelling for CH properties isn't really amazing to be honest. The Ken would have to play footsies and not press any other normals/specials until that overhead. Not that great considering other characters can just groundbounce/combo out of overhead without a CH.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'm glad they released more colors today. I spent an hour making new costumes for my characters. I'm really looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
Yeah I don't think Ken is that strong in this game

I mean he's still up there but Akuma and Ryu are definitely better as shotos.

Hwoarang tho. thats my boy. lol

also I figured out Asukas Air Grab crushes Tatsus. legit.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I did my best to finally make my Miku color. Too bad that what you can fill in for colors isn't as ranged as KOF 13's. Also tried doing Tekken 4 King even though he's now all sparkly and dazzling looking.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
If SFxTekken Ryu had HF. Ryu hurricane kick and Hadouken, he would be too good. The ability to cancel fk is huge for Ryu's game and something that literally hasn't been seen since Alpha 1 or 2 I believe? It was there in CvS2 but it was trashy where as in here it's amazing.

In my opinion this should stay as a Shoto staple because it helps out a lot in the footsie/zoning games of the Shoto. Canceable Hadouken is also a masterpiece, J. Kick is phenomenal, and finally, Shoryuken actually being an effective AA like how it should be.

If it was up to me, I would make the Shoryuken completely invincible like how it was back in the WW-HF days. Why? Because it's supposed to put fear into you when wanting to jump forward. None of that trading nonsense garbage, and the handicap on it? If it whiffs, it's super punishable just like OG SF2. Never liked it watered down, because in some SF games it was depressing to see how normal AA's were better then an actual Shoryuken. Simply stupid.

That's about it, hopefully later today some of my buddies come over so we can start breaking down this game a bit.

All in all, if you ask me, I still prefer SF:IV over this game any day of the week, however this game turned out better then I had previously thought, and without question superior to UTvC3 (hoping one day they revert MvC back to it's true glory again).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Didn't attacks do more damage in general back in those days? So, the Shoryuken would inherently be a high risk, high reward move as a punisher could deal as much, if not more than that attack.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Didn't attacks do more damage in general back in those days? So, the Shoryuken would inherently be a high risk, high reward move as a punisher could deal as much, if not more than that attack.
Yeah, moves back then did do more damage all together. The High-Risk high reward is how the Shoryuken should always stay as. It should be a high-damaging but high risk attack, because within current SF games, the ability to punish a whiffed Shoryuken is even more so in many cases vs OG SF. LP Shoryuken on whiff wasn't easy to punish when whiffed in SF2, but in a game say SFIV or even SFxTekken the damage potential off a whiff Shoryuken is monumental with the ability to dash, Ex-Options and Supers, etc, etc.

Overall, I do like the AA, or particularly the Shoryuken within SFxTekken because it's very effective, the damage is solid and arguably one of the best if not the best AA in the game. It's effectiveness should never be lower then this, anything worse and too many jump in's by opponents.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just for comparison, how easy was it to bait out wakeup Shoryukens in the old days?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I may get this for 360 as well just to be able to play more people. Is there still no Cole on Xbox?

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
aight so I've been exclusively playing Asuka for the last week or 2 (as in playing Arcade mode on Hard or above and not switching out until I am like super close to death)

and I figured out one reason I drop combos is because I didn't time them correctly
so now I have this rhythm with almost everyone. which goes

hit hit pause hit hit pause hit hit pause

and if I have to cancel into a special move I just do it between the hit and pause of course.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
GGs, Matador and Jam. Matador, it's pretty fun playing against your team. You're playing footsies with your characters consistently well, so it's hard for me to ever feel in control. I don't think I'll be able to ever block three of those Kazuya's overhead kicks lol. Also that Kazuya backdash is pretty godlike. I whiffed a crouching short and jab and I got punished hard. I don't think I'd be able to OS it either.

Also, spending two meters to switch cancel an Alpha Counter for a kill seems pretty worth it.
I feel like I'm back in Alpha 2.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah, you definitely convinced me to fit those into my game. I dunno why, but I have trouble timing the alpha counters sometimes.

But yeah, ggs to you and Jam. And all the others that entered the room XD

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
Thinking about picking up Asuka. That pressure looks insane, and her j.HP looks really useful. Does anyone have good Asuka video or anything to get me going?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yeah, good games guys. Those other two were friends of mine. I was playing LAN with one of them, and it actually worked out really well.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
GGs, Minato. I feel like I improved through those matches, so thanks for them. :)

Pretty much my reaction to playing Asuka today..

Minato

穏やかじゃない
GGs, Minato. I feel like I improved through those matches, so thanks for them. :)

Pretty much my reaction to playing Asuka today..
GGs. I actually used Asuka and Jin Day one. I ended up dropping her since she has no footsie game and weak anti-airs without meter.
She has some cool chains but they're useless in combos since it just scales things. :ohwell:

Anyways, I'm gonna stick with learning Cammy a little while. Don't know if I'll stick with having her partnered up with Jin.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
GGs. I actually used Asuka and Jin Day one. I ended up dropping her since she has no footsie game and weak anti-airs without meter.
She has some cool chains but they're useless in combos since it just scales things. :ohwell:

Anyways, I'm gonna stick with learning Cammy a little while. Don't know if I'll stick with having her partnered up with Jin.
Yeah, that's what I'm noticing about her, too. I'll probably stick with her for a while but those footsies are absolutely horrible.

I liked some of your Cammy stuff. I would have liked to see more ambiguous crossups with divekick, but eh, still nice either way.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, I actually forgot about those. Started practicing the timing down right after the match.
Been messing around with her jump HK. It's pretty ambiguous and it sets up 459 damage combo with one meter. 541 for two.

It's a shame that she isn't rushdown like Super and there's rolling in this game.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I actually forgot about those. Started practicing the timing down right after the match.
Been messing around with her jump HK. It's pretty ambiguous and it sets up 459 damage combo with one meter. 541 for two.

It's a shame that she isn't rushdown like Super and there's rolling in this game.
Yeah, that jump HK gave me problems a few times. I pretty much always thought you were going for crossup j.LK.

I dunno. I think she's still pretty rushdown. Her jump-cancellable cl.HK gives good pressure and frametrap options. I'm pretty sure you can do cl.HK and TK a divekick as a blockstring.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
my roomie made a neon kuma and was trolling kids with it

he's literally about to perfect this kid for the win, not just anyway though, by farting in the opponents face

the kid disconnects, a very sad moment

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Anyone wants to play on PS3? Been practicing with stick for a while now and I finally think I'm ready for some of ya, it's a pretty great game.

The only downside is that your characters can't fight to their fullest but I guess that's the challenge and Tekken's "blend" within this game.

Top Bottom