• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

strategy Q's yLink and edge gaurding marth

artifice

Smash Ace
I Am having two main problems with peach, Ylink seems to be undeafeatable on certin levels, i cant get to him with out taking 30% damage, and when i do get to him he runs his *** away, turnups seem to be the wrong thing and im trying to grab more not sure if this is right. Floating twords him I think has a lot to do with the answer but i cant seem to get it to work right.

also, not sure on how to edge gaurd a marth, cant find videos. I hate letting that basterd back on the stage all the time.

brdy_

Smash Lord
Turnips for Marth, then just grab the edge and edgehog him. Hope to play with you soon buddy :D

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
For Young Link, he eventually has to face the edge of the stage if you chase him. Nowhere to go but up. knowing he's going up, get there before he does. Or throw a turnip up then stay on your feet. Just watch his pattern and predict where he jumps. Back airs eat his boomerang up too.

Chip.

you know what to do
Ummm.......yeah, Young Link ^_^.

Well, Peach gets eaten alive by Young Link's spaming. lol, Young Link is actually harder to 'predict' than most would think >_>. I'd say auto-Float canceling is a good bet to take and remember that D-smash ***** Young Link. Do your best to get close to him fast and don't let him spam like hell and dash attack does a good job of that. Take Young Link to Dream Land, when there, you practically wont die ^_^.

I'd say watch Krazy Jones vs. Caveman matches. I know Caveman wins both of them, but you can see a lot good things KJ does to stop Cave's Young Link in spaming situations.

Watch Ken vs. a lot of Peach players and loses...soo I guess you'll learn something from them >_>

...I hope Young Link didn't scare you that much when we faced eachother :p. Don't worry man, the more we fight, the better you'll get. You could also watch me vs. Brdy. He knows how to fight Young Link ;]

btw, mm Arti?

Chip.

you know what to do
Lmao, thx but it's true that you had some pretty wicked combos of your own along with insane edgegaurding/edgehogging as well :psycho:

Ahh..yes, it was nice to smash wit ya' again. We should MM again too...... this time when I actually have some money of my own >_>

brdy_

Smash Lord
Catching bombs and float to bair-ing the boomerang seems like your best bet against spamming, Artifice.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Take Young Link to Dream Land, when there, you practically wont die ^_^.
I coudln't disagree more. Down air will kill you at 100% there. As a bonus, he will have all the room he wants to spam you.

Take him to Yoshi's story and don't give him squat for breathing room.

scooter388

Smash Rookie
For marth, practice throwing turniups at him when he is comming back. If you can throw your turniups effectivly, edge guarding marth shouldn't be any problem, since it will never happen. If marth tries to come from below, just grab a turniup, jump above the edge and whip it at him from above...or you can just edge guard.

For link.....not an expert in this field, don't fight many links or young links. So far I just float barely above their spinning attack, since that is the move they use the most and hit them with a d-air into a float cancle d-smash attack. usually does about 15% to 25%. If you can effectivly dodge roll his attacks, you shoud be able to get him into a dash combo. other than that, grab and f-tilt (B**** smack!) him at about 110% and above, then you should be able to handle him just like marth when he is off the stage.

Just remember, this info is based on my experiences with the people I play. Those who you play against may fight differently.

JiggsIsMyHero

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure how peach in particular handles YL, but I do strongly recommend taking away platforms and space in general. It seems to me that Mute City would be a prime stage (one of peach's best anyhow), as would fountain of downsmash (err, dreams). An unfortunate fact for YL players in general is that if you get put on a bad stage you're probably going to lose, so I'd make every effort to make that a reality. I happen to hate playing on BF as YL, but I have an 'unconventional' style of play that might have something to do with that.

As for general advice for the match-up (and remember that I'm not positive on how she handles him)... I'd say be wary of d-smashing predictably... It's pretty easy to plant a sword in the skull of a spinning peach and I like to bait laggy moves when I'm playing as the young one with lots of feints and DD/WD. Sounds like you play against spammier links, though, so in that case I'd say float towards him around head level and just pull out bairs (do nairs work too?) when you see a projectile incoming. It's actually not all that hard to dodge YL's wall when you have an aerial that breaks the boomerang. I'm 99% sure nothing peach has breaks the bomb, so when you see a bomb flying at you just FF out of the float and charge with a dashattack or dashgrab. By the time he can pull a bomb and throw it you should be close enough to pull this off... if not you're giving YL WAAAAY too much room anyhow. What else is there to say? DJC nairs when you're in close to keep the lag down and the priority high and don't try to compete with link's nair because you're likely to lose. I play peach kinda low to the ground, so maybe my advice won't mesh well with your style, but never having seriously played the match that's how I'd go about it. If I'm wrong, please jump in tell me.

Chip.

you know what to do
I coudln't disagree more. Down air will kill you at 100% there. As a bonus, he will have all the room he wants to spam you.

Take him to Yoshi's story and don't give him squat for breathing room.

Peach will die at 80% at Yoshi's Story lol :psycho: . 65% on it's platforms too ^_^.

Plus, a good Young Link wont fall under pressure from someone like Peach that easily, esp. at small Yoshi Story. Young Link can spam very easily from the platforms (above and from the side of them) and he can kill her much faster here with all of his killing moves. Whereas in Dream Land if Young Link D-Smashes Peach... Peach will live and return back to the stage, but Peache's D-Smash will actually kill Young link. Peach can live up to 200% or higher, provided with good DI, trust me, I have experienced fighting a Peach like that.... that is if I didn't get a Dair on her...

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Hmm I'd agree with Chip. I'd rather fight Y.Link on DreamLand than Yoshi Story...

Y.Link's projectiles has less range than Link's. So fighting on a bigger stage is better for me because I can try to position myself outside of boomerang range, and this leaves me the time to pull a turnip, watch my opponent's pattern, etc.

Sure he will have more room to camp, but if you stand at the other side of the level he won't even be able to reach you, unlike on Yoshi Story where he can put you under ranged pressure at all times.

EDIT: I agree with Mute City being a good choice though, no platforms/edges will make his life harder.

brdy_

Smash Lord
Peach will die at 80% at Yoshi's Story lol :psycho: . 65% on it's platforms too ^_^.

Plus, a good Young Link wont fall under pressure from someone like Peach that easily, esp. at small Yoshi Story. Young Link can spam very easily from the platforms (above and from the side of them) and he can kill her much faster here with all of his killing moves. Whereas in Dream Land if Young Link D-Smashes Peach... Peach will live and return back to the stage, but Peache's D-Smash will actually kill Young link. Peach can live up to 200% or higher, provided with good DI, trust me, I have experienced fighting a Peach like that.... that is if I didn't get a Dair on her...
:chuckle:
I agree with Chip., I always counterpick Dreamland against him, although maybe I should start utilizing Mute City as well.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
First off, BigRick i love that animation ROFL! Young Link is actually a counter to Peach..i already played sheik as a back up b4 finding this out but yea...try chosing a secondary character like sheik who compliments Peach's bad match ups (also the case with marth). When edge guarding marth, as stated, turnips work, and floating back 2 grab the ledge, but also u can see in some Mikael vids, and i've tried it myself...try falling off the ledge and back air into marth as he's recovering with his Up B...this also works against most characters, since peach can easily get back up on the stage. Just be careful not to get under marth or he can spike you.

As far as young link, if you must fight him as peach...try catching his bombs and throwing them back at him.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces

Down air kills Peach on dreamland at 100%. Gauranteed. Unless she's like way under the stage when you use it. Say, if she's on one of the platforms, and she's at 100%, down air is going to kill her most of the time. Peach is my main and Ylink is my best secondary. I know that matchup both ways.

By the way down throw to down air is almost a for sure combo on Peach, especially around 90%. Try it out. It works, yes, on Dreamland too.

He can't spam boomerang because Peach's back air can cancel it no matter what angle it's coming at. Yoshi's Story gives him very little time to throw out an angled boomerang or a bomb the way a large stage would. In addition if Ylink techs, his tech isn't exactly the longest in the world, so downsmash covers a lot of range on the small stage like that. Not to mention he can't go way under the stage with a boomerang and hold on to it, say like he can in Dreamland. His recovery options are limited on that stage compared to stages that are large underneath.

I do agree that Mute City is too good against him though!

Chip.

you know what to do
It doesn't matter if the stage is small, Young Link can still spam just as well as he can on a large stage, but you have to spam in different ways. Utilizing the platforms and bouncing all over the stage, throwin' your projectiles is almost as effective as if your just keeping your distance and spaming on a large stage. Actually, Young Link's recovery is REALLY good at Yoshi story because he can utilize his hookshot way better than he can at Dream Land. The fact is that Peach will die much faster at Yoshi Story and will last longer at Dream Land. Young Link lasts longer at Yoshi Story (and almost every other stage too) and dies faster at Dream Land. D-smashing Young Link at Yoshi Story is limited esp. when he's running around the platforms like crazy, which is harder at DL because the platforms are farther apart.

I don't need to know how to use Peach, I just know how to fight against her, and I know that it's hard to do that at Dream Land.

brdy_

Smash Lord
I can't even remember once when Chip's dair killed me at anything below 135ish on Dreamland. The last match we played on Dreamland you killed me at what? 146? DI, anyone?

Chip.

you know what to do
When you DI'd along with good recovery too you lasted till like 250%, but that also had maybe a little something with me just having the inability of not killing you lol :chuckle:.

I've checked in Training mode though, Bombplant(or dair) will kill at around 100% and with good DI it'll be around 115%, if my calculations were correct.

Top Bottom