• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Story Mode & Adventure Mode~ Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
What story do you want to see in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS? I know this is weird, but I kinda want a story similar to that of Persona 4 Arena. By that I mean I want all of the different characters to be invited or forced into an arena to face each other when they don't want to. Maybe by the end the person who invited them was....you? You want to you see fight because its "fun" and nothing much else. So....what do you think?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I just want them to do what every other fighting game does and have alternate evil versions of each character appear that they have to fight. (Then each character can get a cool evil outfit like Metaknight and Link had in Brawl with the red eyes).Or, you know depict them as action figures the Master Hand is just playing with in a pretend tournament (smash64 story)

Hello.

Smash Cadet
I don't want them to make a Subspace 2.0. It was a nice idea but it was executed poorly. I wish the enemies were actually from other games and not just random ones.

Of course, they can continue the story of Subspace and have the characters interact in the same way but Subspace's gameplay was very bland.

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Personally, I don't want there to be a huge focus on story. Smash has never really been about story (except for Brawl, and the execution there was just lacking.) I'd like there to be an Adventure Mode similar to Melee's. Arcade-esque, short, sweet, and fun.

Realistically though, I'm half-expecting Subspace Emissary 2. I won't really care, because it's a nice little time-waster regardless, and an easy way to unlock all the characters, but all in all, I won't really care in the end. Just so long as the portion of the game we care about (the versus gameplay) is good, they can go and create FInal Brawltasy 17: The Divine Return for all I care.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
All I want is an excuse to give us a fair amount of really neat cutscenes. Provided that doesn't end up slicing into the character roster because of the 3DS, of course.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
If they can create more cgi clips like in megaman's reveal trailer I would watch the sh$# out of them. It was really cool watching the subspace clips in order (except that it was like skipping over all the actual fighting you did) if they could just include a quick replay of a cpu fighting in your place for those bits so you could just sit back and watch the movie unfold it would reach a billion youtube views.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I don't know how probable this can be but I'd like to have the both of them as a boss:

They are from the SNES and NES version of Wario Woods.
This game is meant to be even retro. No?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Wait...There is a story mode??! Da fuq
You must be new here *look at the number of the post* Well! You ARE pretty new here. So maybe you don't know that the series, since the second episode, has a story/adventure mode looking like a hybrid of a scrooling beat 'em up and and platform game of the eighties/nineties.
The first one was very arcade and plotless. The second one had a story, well... Sort of! It was very simple and the character didn't even talk. But it was well developed and enjoyable. Everybody that has seen it will remember forever the moment when the villain's number 1 henchmen betrayed his master and joined the good guys. Or when the big villain turned out to be a slave of a bigger villain. Or when King Dedede turned out to be on the good guys side...

yullow321

Smash Rookie
They need more character developement and make the villains actually have a purpose and work together. I want to see wolf in there.

A really good idea though for story mode is when you come across a new character you don't unlock him you just know about him. You need to find out how to unlock him yourself.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I'd like less linear level design for SSB4's Adventure mode - multiple paths, doors, or hidden shortcuts and challenge rooms in different parts of the level. These alternative or hidden routes would include special goodies such as trophies, music CD's, or even item, Assist Trophy, Pokeball, or stage unlocks to warrant replaying levels to collect all the unlockables you can.

Connecting all the levels together to form an almost open-world design would also be cool. For example, a hidden route in one level leads you to a Sky Cannon from Twilight Princess that shoots you up to Skyworld, or a long cave passageway opens up into the side of a mountain that is part of another level in Adventure Mode.

Story-wise, I would appreciate a mix of more lighthearted themes into the storyline compared to Brawl's overly cinematic Subspace Emissary. Throw in some humor between the characters like having Ness accidentally set Luigi's pants on fire with PK fire or something. I'm totally good with some darker themes thrown later in the Adventure Mode story, but in the end, it's Nintendo - Adventure Mode should contain a lot of good, innocent fun like the Mario series.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If they can create more cgi clips like in megaman's reveal trailer I would watch the sh$# out of them. It was really cool watching the subspace clips in order (except that it was like skipping over all the actual fighting you did) if they could just include a quick replay of a cpu fighting in your place for those bits so you could just sit back and watch the movie unfold it would reach a billion youtube views.
That's really all I care about the story mode for, to be honest. Fun platforming gameplay would be neat, but all I want is an excuse to be given and watch some really awesome cutscenes.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
This is what I had in mind for dialogue. The characters should be able to talk through cutscenes in subtitles, and I also believe they should interact more between different characters from different worlds. Kind of like this:

(Scene: Masked Man and Bowser Junior are trying to ambush Lucas and Red the Pokemon Trainer for Ganondorf)
Junior: C'mon, you baby, it's about time you learned how to be useful!
Claus: ...
Junior: What's your problem? You too much of a wuss to kidnap a kid?
Junior: Wow, no wonder Porky sent you with me, you're such a baby he doesn't want to deal with you!
Junior: Look at the blonde kid. He looks stupid enough for us to scare him into surrendering. He's almost as much as a baby as you!
Claus: ...that's...it...
Junior: What's that? I can't hear you mumbling about your mommy. Where is she now, huh, shortstop?
Claus: (In tears) ENOUGH! I can deal with having to work under that jerk Porky, having to fight my friends, but when you, you insolent litle turtle, mock my family, I will crush you. TASTE BLADE, KOOPA KID!
(Laser blade hits Bowser Junior in face. Junior gets up and brushes himself off.)
Junior: You're feisty. My papa said I was feisty when I first attacked my enemy. I see a connection we have.
Claus: I'm surprised you can see it over your inflated EGO! (Strikes Junior again)
Junior: You wanna go? Fine, Iet's brawl, ORPHAN.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I'd like less linear level design for SSB4's Adventure mode - multiple paths, doors, or hidden shortcuts and challenge rooms in different parts of the level. These alternative or hidden routes would include special goodies such as trophies, music CD's, or even item, Assist Trophy, Pokeball, or stage unlocks to warrant replaying levels to collect all the unlockables you can.

Connecting all the levels together to form an almost open-world design would also be cool. For example, a hidden route in one level leads you to a Sky Cannon from Twilight Princess that shoots you up to Skyworld, or a long cave passageway opens up into the side of a mountain that is part of another level in Adventure Mode.

Story-wise, I would appreciate a mix of more lighthearted themes into the storyline compared to Brawl's overly cinematic Subspace Emissary. Throw in some humor between the characters like having Ness accidentally set Luigi's pants on fire with PK fire or something. I'm totally good with some darker themes thrown later in the Adventure Mode story, but in the end, it's Nintendo - Adventure Mode should contain a lot of good, innocent fun like the Mario series.
I quote you all.
About the darker themes you mentioned... Hear this:
One of the bosses is a huge robot that has power glove as right hand, which is also a rocket punch (and big as one average character). After the defeat he shows up to have some emotion and later in the story he helps the good guys up to sacrifice, going inside a building that is going to explode to rescue one of them, but since there is no way to carry him/her away in time he grabs him/her by his right hand and shoots it away, while the rest of his body is engulfed by the explosion. and completely destroyed.
Then the good guys are celebrating a sort of funeral over his disembodied underarm, when suddenly it shows to be still alive. Uncanny to everyone infact, the robot had his brain inside his rocket punch. So the geek of them does a little repair and upgrade, rendering it able to see, hear and float just like R.O.B. And so another character is added to the party.
Did I mention I like The Iron Giant movie?

Waterwraith

Smash Cadet
So, I came up with a little concept on how to tackle Adventure Mode this time around. It needs to be something that's not unbelievably repetitive like Melee, but it needs to break away from the subspace emissary's various flaws like Brawl.

What if "Adventure Mode" was this huge, Metroid style map that you could explore using any character you currently had unlocked? Instead of there being a linear story progression, you would explore in any direction you wanted, and unlock characters by finding them and defeating them. You could unlock characters by finding them and defeating them. You could find things like trophies and stickers by looking for them and completing certain objectives. There could be sections of the map based on various Nintendo series, and the enemies you fight there would be based on the enemies from that series.
It would, of course, support co op. I was even thinking of it maybe having a "random encounter" system so you could encounter players online and fight them.

ForsakenProto

Smash Cadet
I would be fine if they had it like classic mode in past games, but depending on which character you picked the scenario would change, leading to their ending possibly revealing why they are there. With there being a reward for beating every characters story line, like some final cutscene of sorts leading to a battle with a Master Hand-esque character

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
you would .. unlock characters by finding them and defeating them. You could unlock characters by finding them and defeating them.
I like the idea that I would unlock characters by finding and defeating them, but the idea that I could unlock characters by finding and defeating them is much better.

I'd like to see it be in true Metroid fashion in that using certain abilities of unlocked characters could be used to open up more areas of exploration.

ForsakenProto

Smash Cadet
I like the idea that I would unlock characters by finding and defeating them, but the idea that I could unlock characters by finding and defeating them is much better.

I'd like to see it be in true Metroid fashion in that using certain abilities of unlocked characters could be used to open up more areas of exploration.
I feel like there should be some Xzibit picture accompanying this saying something about unlocking while you unlock or something along those lines

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
So.....The Great Maze in SSBB, which was the worst idea in that game, and then make it 10x larger? Sounds gud.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
anything that does not take up as much time as subspace is ok with me

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
So.....The Great Maze in SSBB, which was the worst idea in that game, and then make it 10x larger? Sounds gud.
You know what? I think the great maze was the bast part of the SSE. Just.. It was not big enough. The mechanich IMHO should have taken a bigger part of the game, rather than being a sum of all the past levels.

My ideal concept for the next story mode?
First half: Arcade and linear, just to show all the characters.
Second half: Metroidvania.

Also: The battles need to be interesting as much as in Double Dragon and Final Fight. Super Smash Bros. is a fighting game before everything, is it not?

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I just want more bosses. :ohwell:
Seriously though, we got 5 Nintendo bosses in SSE, 2 of which were Ridley. UGH.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Make it the real Metroidvania style: Some areas require you to use other character's abilities to unlock. So you walk around, beat characters to unlock 'em and use them to reach the next part of the level. For example, you might need Link's hookshot to reach a ledge to get to the next area.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I just want more bosses. :ohwell:
Seriously though, we got 5 Nintendo bosses in SSE, 2 of which were Ridley. UGH.
Then your really wish is "I want more NINTENDO bosses".
Thought, I tell you, I don't complain about them in Brawl. Doun is actually my favourite one.
I like his double face as much as I like making him hit by his own missiles.
But all the bosses were great IMHO. While the minions... Not as much as well. Creative? yes. Cool? Not really.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Then your really wish is "I want more NINTENDO bosses".
Thought, I tell you, I don't complain about them in Brawl. Doun is actually my favourite one.
I like his double face as much as I like making him hit by his own missiles.
But all the bosses were great IMHO. While the minions... Not as much as well. Creative? yes. Cool? Not really.
I'm not saying I didn't like the bosses we DID have, hell, I even liked the three Smash bosses, I just wish that we could see some more of Nintendo's biggest and baddest.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The Great Maze was only annoying because it made you replay levels you had already beaten. An Adventure Mode that let you run through a maze of new levels would not have this problem.

That said, I am not expecting anything in depth story mode wise for SSB4.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I actually really liked the idea behind the Adventure mode in Melee... I'd actually like to see that expanded on a bit... but I'm not buying this for the single player, so just tell me how to unlock the characters, and I'm good.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Brawl introduced a Story Mode. To me, it wasn't the worst Story Mode of all time, but it had some flaws. I've planned this thread to make ideas for the new story. Whether it be the Wii U's Story or the 3DS's Story. Since I don't have a Wii U, here's a 3DS idea for the Story mode;

We start out in the battle field, where Mario and Link are about to face off. Whoever wins gets blasted off by a boss, (boss suggestions here) When the boss is defeated, that character gets turned into a trophy, and kidnapped by Bowser.

That's really all I've got so far, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
I'm seriously anxious to see what the new adventure mode will yield. I'm also relieved to know that it won't be anything like SSE...like good lord that **** was so boring even though I played the **** out of it on intense for no reason lol

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm seriously anxious to see what the new adventure mode will yield. I'm also relieved to know that it won't be anything like SSE...like good lord that **** was so boring even though I played the **** out of it on intense for no reason lol
RealTalk me too you know..before i couldnt careless well i still dont really..but just wanna know what approach they took.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
We start out in the battle field, where Mario and Link are about to face off. Whoever wins gets blasted off by a boss, (boss suggestions here) When the boss is defeated, that character gets turned into a trophy, and kidnapped by Bowser.
There are several threads discussing the story mode already. You're new so I don't know if you are just messing with us, but your suggestions sound a lot like Brawl's story mode.

~EDIT NOTES~

I just wanted to take a moment to add that following this thread is going to be a bit incomprehensible since smaller threads are getting lumped onto the ends of a big one, as was the case in this post.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
For me, a nice little middle between SSE and Melee while leaning a bit towards Melee's approach seems good to me as long as I get cutscenes :3 Also the one thing that was cool about PSASBR was the rivalry cutscenes, I'd like to see those in Smash too, like Mario vs Bowser, or WFT vs Wario, or Kirby vs King Dedede, or even Pit vs MetaKnight like in the Brawl trailer :D

Mr.Universe

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1864-9620-1149
I'd love to see Adventure mode more like Melee with a pseudo story, and maybe some custom cut scenes, like something unique for each character entering a zone.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
I have to agree. A medium between the two would be nice. Even if the stages are the same for each franchise, if you have one for each, you can randomize out of the pool which ones you might go through when playing through it, and maybe have mini stories. A chase through the levels or some kind of event specialized for that person like rival battles and what not.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
For me, a nice little middle between SSE and Melee while leaning a bit towards Melee's approach seems good to me as long as I get cutscenes :3 Also the one thing that was cool about PSASBR was the rivalry cutscenes, I'd like to see those in Smash too, like Mario vs Bowser, or WFT vs Wario, or Kirby vs King Dedede, or even Pit vs MetaKnight like in the Brawl trailer :D
PSASBR = ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom