• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

STL BarWarz, Spring Melee Tourney - April 13th, 2013 - Marlborough, MO

Roux

Smash Journeyman
STL BarWarz
Hosting:
Spring Melee Tourney

Address:
7895 Watson Rd.
Marlborough, MO (Southern end of St. Louis City)

Venue:
STL BarWarz, located inside Danno's American Pub

Schedule:
Saturday, April 13, 2013
TO/STLBW Crew arrives 11:30 for set up.
Doors and registration at 12:00PM
Doubles at 1:00PM
Singles registration continues until 2:30.
Singles Pools at 3:00PM, NLT 3:30.
Bracket announcements followed by dinner break at 5:00PM
**POSSIBLE Amateur Bracket at 6:00PM (read below for details)
Singles Bracket at 6:00PM SHARP
Finished approx 9:00-10:00PM.

Prices and Payouts:

Venue fee = $5
Singles Entry Fee = $10
Doubles Entry Fee = $10/team
Amateur Bracket Fee = $5

Payout for doubles and singles
1. 60%
2. 30%
3. 10%

Ruleset

*Double Elimination Style​
*All sets are best of 3 matches except Semi, Final, and Grand Final sets which are best of 5.​
* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer​
* Items OFF​
* Friendly Fire ON for doubles​
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.​
* Master Hand is banned.​
* Wobbling is NOT banned. Just don't blame me if people hate you.​
* Stalling with Jigglypuff's infinite sleep or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.​
* Stupid glitches are banned. I shouldn't have to tell you to avoid making a black hole.​
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. If you're being a poor sport and doing this intentionally, I'll probably DQ you. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.​
* Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you already won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.​
* Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.​
Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:​
1. First player strikes one stage.​
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.​
3. First player strikes one stage.​
Stagelist:
Singles
Starters:​
Final Destination​
Yoshi's Story​
Dream Land​
Battlefield​
Fountain of Dreams​
Counterpicks:​
Pokemon Stadium​
Doubles:​
Final Destination​
Yoshi's Story​
Dream Land​
Battlefield​
Pokemon Stadium​
After each match:​
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)​
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage​
3. Winner chooses their character​
4. Loser chooses their character​
General Rules

-BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.​
-Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks. *Non-imperative pause clause: If the pause has absolutely no obvious bearing on the match you may legitimately overlook the pause. If there is any doubt in the ruling of a pausing incident, leave it paused and seek the TO's counsel.​
-Coaching is allowed only between games, not during.​
-DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.​
-Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.​
-Absolutely no game hacks that affect the actual gameplay. You may use them for "friendly" setups, but PLEASE mark the set up in an obvious way.​
General Info

Thanks again STL BarWarz for hosting us a second time! If you don't know STLBW is a fighting game club that hosts tournaments for several different fighting games. Check out their blog here: http://stlbarwarz.tumblr.com/

The melee tournament will be streamed live on the STL BarWarz twitch tv page here: http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz They did an INCREDIBLE job last time. If you can't make it out, please tune in at some point to catch some of the hype.

Concerning the possible Amateur Bracket: I went to a tournament recently that held one of these as a side event. I thought it was a great way to keep all the attendants involved in the tourney, and it gave the less-experienced smashers a chance to get more of that tournament-pressure experience that you can only get at a tourney. The problem comes in when you try to define "amateur" in a gaming community. For the purposes of this specific tournament, you will be eligible to register for the AB if you do not make it out of pools in the regular bracket AND I know that you're not an incredible player just looking to take an easy win. Last tournament saw 30 entrants with 16 making it out of pools and into bracket, so that tells me that there should be enough eligibles to get a good sized Amateur Bracket going. The entrants in the main bracket and the amateur bracket will have no crossover, otherwise the tourney will slow down a lot. You will know at 5PM prior to dinner break whether or not you made it out of pools and into bracket, therefore you can register for the Amateur Bracket between 5 and 6 PM. No pools in AB, no seeding, and no live streaming. No amazing players picking low-tiers to get into AB either. Same rules, same payout percentages. And obviously, entrants that failed to make it out of pools in the regular bracket will not have their money refunded or put towards the AB; it's a separate $5 altogether.

The venue has the ability to make PIZZA and SAMICHES, but last time their cook left a little early. I've planned for the leisurely 1-hour break (provided we're moving on schedule) to take a breather and drive to a nearby restaurant if needed. But hopefully the option to eat at the pub will be there and they can benefit from our patronage.

Please RSVP!! And we also need your help and support to bring full set ups, including CRT TV's. A good rule of thumb is that ideally there would be 1 setup for every 2 entrants. This way there would always be a station available, even if some are playing friendlies. Because STL BarWarz provides professional AV guys volunteering their time to man the live stream and offers us an exceptional venue with perks like commentary, beautiful streaming quality, and a large viewing audience, we cannot waive the $5 venue fee if you bring a set up. Thank you for understanding.

Thanks, and I hope to see you there!

SS4 Shinobi

Smash Cadet
I'll be comin! I'll also be bringin Billy! We'll try to get potter and Kevin to come too. Also could it be possible to waive the venue fee for those of us out of city people who bring a full setup?

Roux

Smash Journeyman
I'll be comin! I'll also be bringin Billy! We'll try to get potter and Kevin to come too. Also could it be possible to waive the venue fee for those of us out of city people who bring a full setup?
Billy wants his blood served wobbled. If Potter comes, make sure to reiterate to him repeatedly throughout the entire drive to not have 9 drinks prior to finishing his 1st pool match.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Billy wants his blood served wobbled. If Potter comes, make sure to reiterate to him repeatedly throughout the entire drive to not have 9 drinks prior to finishing his 1st pool match.
I'm totally doing this.

Shard

Smash Cadet
Ask Nate if he's bored with life and wants to come.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
To anyone that tried to watch the streaming, BarWarz' crew wasn't there to set it up. Shout outs and results will be posted tonight.

Top Bottom