• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steps I should take for getting into Melee.

D

Deleted member

Yo. First time posting here in the Melee subforum, so I may as well give some background. I played Melee for the first time around '03/'04ish (can't remember), and as a kid it just endlessly captivated me with its action, colorful range of characters, the music and that it was just such an awesome game for me to play at the time. I ended up getting into various Nintendo franchises (Kirby, Star Fox and Mario to name a few) thanks to Melee, and it sparked my still ongoing love for Smash Bros. as a series. I kinda left Melee behind growing up after moving to Brawl, and then onto Smash 4 about a year ago, but with me getting into PM this August along with me getting more invested in Sm4sh competitively, I looked towards playing Melee once again, and I did just that.

So the gist is, I played the **** out of Melee growing up but never took it as a game seriously. Green Greens, Big Blue and Poke Floats with all items on all day erry day. I already play Project M, but I want to know what the basics are for getting into competitive Melee play. Playing Melee after several years almost feels like an entirely new game to me, and I want some guidance from others here who've got experience. My profile has my mains and characters I'm learning, so I suppose you could check those out to see where I'm coming from.

Thanks in advance to anybody who offers to help me, I absolutely adore Melee and can't wait to learn it thoroughly.

o0silentshadow0o

Smash Cadet
Hey, congratulations in joining the Melee community :D.

What I believe is the best way to learn Melee at a fast passe, is to stick with one character for at least 9 months. Seeing that you chose Ice-Climbers as your main, make that the character you only train with. The very first thing I recommend you train is recovering with your character, as survivability is key. Then practice short hoping with Fox, since his is the hardest. After that you can move into Wave-Dashing (which by the way Ice-Climbers has an amazing one). Then after that practice L-Canceling (please keep in mind L-Canceling does not have to be done with only "L" despite it's name, you can use "R" as well), with both hitting AND missing characters, because the timing for both are very different. As well as practice tilting as that is very important. Once you get all of these basics down for the love of god please learn how to DI well because that is so crucial!

Now you can move into character specifics, for Ice-Climbers I highly recommend "Wobbling." As that is there most powerful tool. And I think that is about it for now, once you master everything here go online and research about more technical things for you to master. If you have more questions please ask.

Personal advice: Use "Y" for every jump you do, long story short it's better to use "Y" because you can do other inputs faster.

GAMb1No

Smash Rookie
like silentshadow said it is good to practice wavedashing, l canceling, DIing, teching, all of the basic advandced techinques and I would make sure to check out the ice climber forums on here

twopercent

Smash Cadet
meeting other smash players that are far better than you and getting your ass kicked is a good way. the better you get at implementing tech skill in your matches, the better you'll be able to fair against good players. any idiot can learn how to wavedash but actually using it effectively is probably 5 times harder than doing the input consistently.

learn your character inside and out, every one of their matchups inside and out. read your character's subforum. read all of the stickies, practice what you read, then practice it some more.

that's at least what i'm kind of in the process of doing, and it seems to be working to a certain extent

Top Bottom