• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starting Roster Discussion/Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Inspired by an attempt to create a starting roster in the Wii U thread I thought I'd open this up to all users to have a go.

Here you attempt to predict the characters that will be available at the start of the game. Feel free to include unannounced characters if you wish like Ice Climbers or Ness.

Starting (27): :4bowser::4diddy::4dk::4fox::4greninja::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4mario::4marth::4metaknight::4mii::4olimar::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4robinm::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss::popo:

Unlocks (18): :4falcon::4charizard::4dedede::4myfriends::4lucario::4lucina::4luigi::4megaman::4pacman::4sonic::4tlink::falco::ganondorf::gw::ness2::rob::warioc::wolf:

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
@ Ganonthegreat Ganonthegreat This kind of thread generally belongs in the character discussion forums. However, as far as I can tell none of the roster threads are for the starting roster in general, so I moved it and renamed it, so everyone can talk about the starting roster here.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'll predict:

:4mario::4bowser::4peach::rosalina::4dk::4diddy::4yoshi::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4pikachu::4charizard::4greninja::4samus::4zss::4myfriends::4lucina::4robinm::4pit::4palutena::4olimar::4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::4sonic::4megaman::4mii:

That means so far, we have these guys as unlockables:

:4luigi::4tlink::4lucario::4marth::4falcon::4pacman:

As for unconfirmed vets I think will be starters too, if they're back:

:lucas::falco::wario::squirtle::ivysaur::popo:

And unlockable vets:
:ganondorf::wolf::ness2::gw::rob::snake:

Truthfully though, I feel every character officially revealed before release will be a starter. This is just if that really isn't the case.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
A lot of people are putting Marth as an unlockable and yet he appears on the cover of the 3DS version. I think it's fair to say any character on the cover of either version is going to be a starter.

Think about it, people would be going "Hey where's this guy on the cover? Why isn't he here?"

My prediction:

Starters::4mario::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4tlink::4pikachu::4greninja::4charizard::4lucario::4dk::4diddy::4fox::4pit::4palutena::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4samus::4zss::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4olimar::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi::4littlemac::4falcon::4mii:

Unlockables: :4luigi::4lucina::4sonic::4pacman::4megaman:

I feel like Captain Falcon could go either way, he's been a starter before. (People seem to forget Captain Falcon and Ness were starters in Melee)

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
My own logic regarding the starting roster has been shattered by Rosalina being on the cover, as I thought she would be an unlockable character. Now there are four Mario characters from the start with only Luigi being unlockable, I would have thought that a newcomer would also be unlockable, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The only thing I'll make any bets on are Captain Falcon and Ness returning to starter status, for no particular reason other than why the hell not.

I do think there will be quite a few secret newcomers that won't be announced, however.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Based off my own insight for the current confirmed characters we have & some speculation from the demo & overall past Smash history of newcomers & original characters:

Almost Confident Starters:
:4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4fox::4greninja::4kirby::4myfriends::4littlemac::4link::4lucina::4mario::4metaknight::4mii::4olimar::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4robinm::4samus::4sheik::4sonic::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss:

Confident Unlockables:
:4falcon::4lucario::4luigi::4marth::4megaman::4pacman::rosalina::4tlink:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Starting roster speculation...

:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4falcon::ness2::4bowser::4peach::4zelda::4sheik::popo::4metaknight::4pit::wario::4zss::4myfriends::4charizard::4diddy::lucas::4dedede::4olimar::4villager::4wiifit::4mii:
----------------------------
Unlockable, but can be encountered randomly before unlocking...

:4luigi::4marth::4tlink::rosalina::4littlemac:
Unlockable, and have to be unlocked first before encountering randomly...

:jigglypuff::mewtwopm::gw::falco::ganondorf::4lucario::rob::wolf::4sonic::4megaman::4greninja::4palutena::4pacman::4lucina::4robinm:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Starting roster speculation...

:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4falcon::ness2::4bowser::4peach::4zelda::4sheik::popo::4metaknight::4pit::wario::4zss::4myfriends::4charizard::4diddy::lucas::4dedede::4olimar::4villager::4wiifit::4mii:
Unlockable, but can be encountered randomly before unlocking...

:4luigi::4marth::4tlink::rosalina::4littlemac:
Unlockable, and have to be unlocked first before encountering randomly...

:jigglypuff::mewtwopm::gw::falco::ganondorf::4lucario::rob::wolf::4sonic::4megaman::4greninja::4palutena::4pacman::4lucina::4robinm:
Once again, Marth, Little Mac, and Rosalina are on the cover, meaning they're starters.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Once again, Marth, Little Mac, and Rosalina are on the cover, meaning they're starters.
Mario Kart 8's box art tends to say otherwise though, since Rosalina was on it, and yet she's an unlockable.

Basically, there could be unlockable characters who could pop up randomly, even if you haven't unlocked them yet.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Starters (28):
:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4zelda::4sheik::4zss::4dedede::4greninja::4falcon::4marth::4robinm::4olimar::4pit::4palutena::4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::4mii::ness2::popo:

Unlockables (19):
:4luigi::4diddy::4tlink::4metaknight::4charizard::4lucario::4lucina::4myfriends::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::warioc::ganondorf::falco::wolf::jigglypuff::lucas::gw::rob:

I could see Rosalina being starter so long as Wario is secret (and any further Mario reps), but Meta Knight should have been unlockable in the first place, and Marth's all but guaranteed to be starter. On the fence about C.Falcon, Diddy, Palutena, and a lot of unannounced veterans. Could see Ike/Robin or Greninja/Charizard being switched, as well. 19+ seems like a lot of secret characters in retrospect, but I couldn't see but a couple fewer announced characters being secret, and as of now, this is a higher percentage of starters than Melee had (15 out of 26).

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Mario Kart 8's box art tends to say otherwise though, since Rosalina was on it, and yet she's an unlockable.

Basically, there could be unlockable characters who could pop up randomly, even if you haven't unlocked them yet.
Well, I guess smash is different. Every smash, when a character is on the box art, it's a starter. But, it could change, but I doubt it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well, I guess smash is different. Every smash, when a character is on the box art, it's a starter. But, it could change, but I doubt it.
Think of it like this. All characters on the box art have the potential to appear randomly in the solo game modes, but some of them won't be available to play as right away. It's basically similar to how Mario Kart 8 handled its unlockables; you'll be able to encounter the unlockables, even before you unlock them.

In fact, in Super Smash Bros., Luigi was an opponent in 1P Mode, even if you haven't unlocked him yet.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
@ Ganonthegreat Ganonthegreat This kind of thread generally belongs in the character discussion forums. However, as far as I can tell none of the roster threads are for the starting roster in general, so I moved it and renamed it, so everyone can talk about the starting roster here.

Okay, thanks :)

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Starting Roster Predictions! :)
These are my thoughts so far, and I'll be going in order of Smash games.

Starter Predictions from Super Smash Bros 64.
Mario:mario64::4mario: Donkey Kong :dk64::4dk: Link:link64::4link: Pikachu:pikachu64::4pikachu: Kirby:kirby64::4kirby: Fox:fox64::4fox: Yoshi:yoshi64::4yoshi: Samus:samus64::4samus: (The original 8! I don't think they'll ever change. :) ) Luigi:4luigi: (This is my opinion, but seeing as how we've known that Luigi has been in the game since the beginning, I think maybe this time he'll be a starter. These are just my thoughts) (9 Characters)

Starter Predictions from Super Smash Bros Melee
Bowser:bowsermelee::4bowser: Peach:peachmelee::4peach: Zelda:zeldamelee::4zelda: Sheik:sheikmelee::4sheik: Marth:marthmelee::4marth:(I think that since Fire Emblem has become a more prominent franchise, it might make more sense for the mascot to be playable from the beginning.) Ice Climbers:icsmelee: (I know we haven't seen them yet, but I don't think they'll ever be cut.) (5 Characters)

Starter Predictions from Super Smash Bros Brawl
Charizard:charizard::4charizard: (Perhaps it'll carry the Pokémon Trainer's starter status too.) Ike:ike::4myfriends: (Given that Ike was a starter last time, I think maybe he'll be a starter again.) Pikmin & Olimar.:olimar::4olimar: Sonic the Hedgehog :sonic::4sonic: (I think that unlike most third-party characters, he's been here the longest in Smash, so I think this time he might be a starter. I could be wrong!) King Dedede:dedede::4dedede:(Quite obvious from being a Kirby character, not to mention he's just as important to the series as Kirby) Pit:pit::4pit: Zero Suit Samus:zerosuitsamus::4zss: Diddy Kong:diddy::4diddy: Lucario :lucario::4lucario: (We don't know just yet. Maybe) (9 Characters)

Newcomers for Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Wii Fit Trainer:4wiifit: Villager :4villager: Little Mac:4littlemac: Palutena:4palutena: Mii Fighters:4mii: (I think these two will be starters so that players will get used to customising their character right away.) 5 Characters.

With that in mind, I imagine that the starting roster should be around...28 Characters. I could be wrong, but these are predictions.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
And here's a list of who I think is either likely to be unlockable from the past Super Smash Bros games, either confirmed or unconfirmed. (As I'm not Sakurai, I don't know what other characters he's got up his sleeve.)

Possible Unlockables from Super Smash Bros 64
Captain Falcon :falcon64::4falcon: (Given that he was shown off so late, I think he'll go back to be an unlockable. Or he could be a starter like in Melee, but I doubt it.) Ness:ness64: (He's part of the Original 12, and one of the most recognisable EarthBound characters. But I don't really know at the moment.) Jigglypuff:jigglypuff64: (Ah, the ever controversial puffball. "Drop her, we want Mewtwo!" "No! She's been in from the beginning!" I just don't know.) (3 Characters.)

Possible Unlockables from Super Smash Bros Melee (Objective view - These are the ones I think are most likely, trying to keep my bias towards Roy out for now.) Falco:falcomelee: (Please stay unlockable until I beat 100-Man Battle! Yeah, Falco was one of the first characters I unlocked in Melee, and when the conditions to unlock him in Brawl hadn't changed, I already wanted to unlock him first. :) Down-B spamming as Donkey Kong... :dkmelee: Classic... In reality, I unlocked Captain Falcon first, as Olimar, nonetheless.) Ganondorf:ganondorfmelee: (I'd say it's more likely he'll get Bowser's overhaul as well. Just keep the Side-B, and if possible, use a sword, like in Hyrule Warriors.) Mr. Game & Watch:gawmelee: (We've known he's in the game in some form from the Pac-Man trailer. I think he's just being teased.) Mewtwo:mewtwomelee: (Honestly, I think being an unlockable should be a good way to keep this controversial veteran a secret.) (5 Characters, excluding my bias towards Roy and Dr. Mario.)
As for Roy:roymelee:... :_; Well, I guess Melee is possibly the only game I'll play as Roy in. Last time I played Roy at a gaming hideout, I decided to unlock Roy for them and main him from then on. But seeing as everybody is hating him now that Lucina is more identical to Marth... :_; It was so much fun... If anything, I'd be happy if he was DLC and had his Awakening artwork and a new move-set to set him apart from the other sword wielders of FE. Dr. Mario:drmario: Not unless he gets Lucina's lucky treatment. If anything, his theme should stay. :p Nothing for Young Link :younglinkmelee:and Pichu:pichumelee:. Young Link is no longer needed in Smash Bros, since we have Toon Link, and Pichu has too many flaws as a fighter.

Possible Unlockables from Super Smash Bros Brawl
Toon Link:toonlink::4tlink: (My basis is that he'll be one of the easier characters to unlock this time, given that we've known he's in the game for so long. You might not agree with my views on Luigi, but I think he's more of an exception.) Wolf:wolf: (I don't know.) Lucas:lucas:(Still don't know) Meta Knight:metaknight: :4metaknight: (Possibly because an OP character at the start might not be fair for others.) R.O.B:rob:(Don't know, but I think he should stay) Solid Snake:snake: It's worrying that nothing's been said of him, but I'm not sure if he's been cut or not. If he's not in the game, or is a secret, I think it's highly likely that we should wait until Smash Bros for 3DS is unboxed. (5, excluding the ambiguous nature of Snake) As for Wario...:wario::warioc: (
STAY. HE. SHOULDN'T. LEAVE)

Possible Newcomer Unlockables for Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. (These are all the characters we've seen so far, and the last two are based on the Trophy Theory and my predictions)
Greninja:4greninja: (Greninja just screams with unlockability. I could be wrong, but I think it's highly likely Greninja is an unlockable. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to unlock him) Pac-Man :4pacman: and Mega Man:4megaman: (I think getting a chance to play as some of the biggest third-party characters in Smash Bros is something that should be seen as an award, thus I think it's highly likely Pac-Man and Mega Man are unlockables.) Lucina:4lucina:(Being a clone of Marth doesn't seem to help her into a starter position. She'll most likely unlocked in a way that is related to Marth or Robin, such as clearing Classic Mode as either of them, like Roy.:roymelee: ;_; Why can't they exist at the same time...?) Robin :4robinm::4robinf: (This is debatable, but given that they are so different from Ike and Marth, I think they should be unlockable - heck I think Robin and Lucina should have a different Series Symbol, the Brand or the Mark of Grima!! \0.0/) Rosalina and Luma:rosalina: She's certainly the most unexpected choice for a Mario newcomer, and I think that she's unlockable because of her battle style with Luma.(6 Confirmed possible unlockable Newcomers, 2 extra if Ridley and Ghirahim get confirmed)

Now, regarding Ghirahim and Ridley (Based on the Trophy Theory and if they are actually confirmed)
Ghirahim and Ridley also scream unlockable, given that they're the bad guys from their series, and Bowser's looking pretty lonely! At the moment, I believe that there are roughly 13 unlockables so far, either confirmed or not.

...As for DLC, I advocate that Roy's our Boy.:roymelee::roypm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom