• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starter (removed from contention)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
As always, comments/criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Starter
© 2008, Jamil Ragland. All rights reserved.

“Try it now, Rob!” Will yelled, wiping sweat away from his forehead. The ignition sputtered, turning over for a brief moment before gasping. Rob tried again, the pathetic noise grating on Will’s nerves.

“What thee fuck now?” he said, lifting the hood. A searing burst of steam hit him in the face, knocking him back onto the work bench. “All right Rob, I don’t know what’s up with this thing. I’m eating lunch now; we’ll try again in a few. Will grabbed his grinder and sat on a box of oil. The phone rang as he chewed through his first bite. They can wait,” he said to no one.

“Hello?” came a slow southern drawl from the office adjacent to the shop. Will sighed. He forgot Steven was back there. Steven would never let the phone ring more than twice, not if it meant missing a customer. Will was glad for his devotion, most of the time. “It’s your wife,” he said, a silvery tuft of hair poking through the door frame. Will placed his sandwich down, bracing himself for whatever catastrophe was on the other end.

“Hello? Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. All right. Again? All right. Yup, bye.” He lit a cigarette, drawing in deeply.

“What’s going on?” Steven asked, the wrinkles around his eyes crinkling with interest. None of your goddamn business, Will wanted to say. But he couldn’t afford for Steven to get upset and retire just yet. Someone had to watch the pumps during the day.

“Nothin, wife’s headed out of town for the weekend. Her sister’s having some big blowout party. They’re probably going to take turns blowing every guy there.” Rob snickered in the corner. “It wouldn’t surprise me.”

“Mm-hm,” Steven said. Will hated when he did that. Why ask if that’s the response? “What’s wrong with the Buick?”

“I don’t know, damn thing won’t start. Me and Rob’ll take another look at it after lunch.”

“Why didn’t you get me anything?”

“You didn’t ask.”

“I put the gas s check in the mail, they should be delivering a load tomorrow morning,: Steven said, hobbling towards the cash register.
Will walked towards the garage doors, blowing smoke into the hazy noon sky. The Buick was the only car within a mile. “We should just rip the fuckin’ pumps out, we don’t make any money on that shit anyway.”

“I’m too old to be a mechanic. If you get rid of ‘em, you’d have to get rid of me too!” Steven said.

“Exactly,” Will muttered. He turned back to face the Buick. He’d been working on it the whole morning, and it had him stumped. None of the usual tests turned up anything, and everything seemed normal. He found some camaraderie in the hulking black car. Everything was fucked up, and he didn’t know why either.

“I swear, Rob,” he said, flicking is cigarette away, “if it weren’t for the woman who drove this, I’d junk this thing myself. She is fuck-ing hot.”

“That short little lady?”

“Did you see the **** on her? I’ve always wanted to fuck a chick with big **** like that.”

“I don’t think your wife would like that,” Rob said.

“So? I don’t like my wife. All right, you done eating? Let’s finish this damn thing.”

The two worked for hours, trying everything they could think of, and Will’s frustration only grew as their options diminished. Jobs like this made him wish that he’d gone to college. He understood now why his father had been so happy when he’d offered to buy the place from him. Will had always known that owning a business wasn’t the paid vacation people thought it was, but he was still surprised by the drudgery of it. Dumb employees and even dumber customers, day in and day out. His father had owned the place for thirty years, and he was ready to quit after four.

“Try it one more time, Rob. If it doesn’t work, I’ll call her up and tell her to take it to the dealer.” He turned the ignition, and the engine groaned. Rob shook his head from behind the windshield. “Fuck.”

Will slammed the hood and walked into the office. No woman was worth this kind of aggravation. “Hello Jennifer? This is Will, from Citgo. Yeah, I couldn’t make heads or tails of it. We’ll tow it back to your house on Monday, and from there you can take it to the dealer. What’s that? Well we don’t do that, that’s why I told you to find one…tonight? Um…I’m sorry, there’s another call. I have to call you back,” he said quickly.

“What was all that about?” Steven asked.

“I just called that Jennifer chick to tell her we couldn’t fix her car. She asked me if I could pick her up from work then, and I told her we don’t do that, and then she said we could go to dinner together afterwards. Right out of the clear blue sky.”

“Mm-hm. Don’t do it, she’ll be nothing but a headache.”

“And how do you know that?”

Steven shrugged. “I can just tell. She looks like the type.”

“I got plenty of headaches already, I can handle one more for **** like those.” Steven shook his head, walking away. “He never knows what the fuck he’s talking about,” he said to Rob.

“Looks like you got your wish, Will.”

He sucked his teeth. “Shut up, will ya? You’re just as bad as Steven. I’m not actually going to do it.”

“You’re not?”

“I hate my wife, but that doesn’t mean I’m ready to get a divorce. No matter where I take that chick, I know one of my wife’s friends will see us. She’s always bar-hopping, so she has thousands of them.”

“Oh well, then. Hey, it’s time to clock out. Have a good weekend,” Rob said.

“Hey Steven, Watch the pumps until the night guy shows up. I’m gonna dump the trash.” Will walked slowly, cradling the garbage container. Have a good weekend alone again, he thought. He knew his wife liked to party, he’d met her at a bar. That was six long years ago. But what if she finds out? Where will I go? What about the business? Should I be dating customers? I’m married, I shouldn’t be dating at all!

Steven was waiting at the garage door when he returned. “Your wife called, she wants you to call her back. The night kid’s here, so I’m heading home.”

“All right.” They were done for the day, but he still had a phone call to make. Will stood in the empty garage, staring at the Buick. He could see himself in the passenger side, windows rolled down, heading out for a night on the town. Jennifer would be wearing a low-cut dress, the same charcoal black as the car. It didn’t even have to be Jennifer driving, it could be anyone. So long as they took him far away.

He stepped back into the office, catching a glimpse of his wife’s picture. She’s not that bad, he thought. He often thought he was confusing his frustration with his job with her. He smoked in the house and always left his plate on the table, and she never yelled. It wasn’t so bad. They were both still relatively young, so why not party while they still could? She complained when he went to the topless bars with his friends, but she still let him go. I still do love her, he thought. But do I like her? He glanced at the picture again, then at the work order with Jennifer’s phone number on it. One more call, then I’m out of here. He picked up the phone.

“Hello?”

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
wow, very nice. it caught my attention from the beginning and maintained it throughout. the dialogue's realistic. i like the ambiguity of the ending, in fitting short story form. kudos, friendo.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
The passage where Will is picturing himself in the car with Jennifer is probably your strongest passage here. The plot idea is good, but the performance is "phoned in." That is, we see him go through the motions of a struggle, but very little of that tension ever gets through. At least, I didn't feel the tension that I think I was supposed to feel.

Furthermore, does his wife have a name? I suspect that referring to Jennifer by name while leaving his wife nameless is supposed to suggest a kind of detachment on Will's part in respect to his marriage. But it doesn't come across that way so much as it seems that his wife is just a plot device rather than an actual character. It's a difficult thing to manage, to hint that an unseen character is a real person while at the same time having her appear diminished to the viewpoint character. But it's necessary to convey this in order for his marriage to seem like something else other than contrived. The entire plot rests on him weighing out two choices, and I'm not getting a good sense of the weight of one of those choices. I don't have a good enough grasp of what he stands to lose.

On that note, Jennifer needs to leave a bigger impression on the reader as well. She obviously leaves an impression on Will, but this is not conveyed well to the audience.

Grammar wise, there is at least one instance where you switch from third to first person narration. I'm running on the assumption that those lines are supposed to be Will's thoughts, but you should put them in italics if that's the case.

Second paragraph: the "he said" is unclear as to who is speaking.

Third paragraph: another "he said" that is unclear. It only makes sense that it is Steven, but not only should he be named in the dialog tag, it should also be in a separate paragraph.

“What’s going on?” Steven asked, the wrinkles around his eyes crinkling with interest. None of your god**** business, Will wanted to say. But he couldn’t afford for Steven to get upset and retire just yet. Someone had to watch the pumps during the day.
It's common convention to separate one character's actions from another character's dialog. Will's thoughts would normally get their own paragraph here. I don't know if this is the rule; I just know that this is how it is normally done, so that's why I mention it. Obviously, if it's a flexible rule, then you can disregard this.

“I put the gas s check in the mail, they should be delivering a load tomorrow morning,: Steven said
Is it supposed to be "s check"? Also, note the colon that should be a quotation mark.

The type of conflict you are portraying in this story reminds me of "Eveline" by James Joyce. If you have not read it yet, I recommend it.

Edit: At the end, he picks up the phone and says "hello" when he was previously told that his wife called and that she wants him to call her back, implying that she already hung up, meaning he should probably be dialing her number before the "hello." And there's a missing quotation mark in the second paragraph. Watch out for those little typos.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Good, but was the 'the' in the second paragraph supposed to have an extra 'e' on the end?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Thanks for the critique. One of the reasons why I left Jennifer, the wife, Rob and Steven so under-developed is due to something that I've learned while writing here, that a short story can only have 1 1/2 characters. I'm already pushing that with the five of them, but they're all necessary (maybe not Rob, actually), and developing them any further breaks that rule, and begins to break the word limit. Ask around, I've had alot of trouble staying within the word limits for these contests, and this time I'd definitely like to do that.

As for the tension...I don't know how to exactly put that on paper. I was thinking that as I wrote, what would be the best way to capture the feelings of a man who hates his life, but is too scared to change it? I'll have to tinker with it some more over the next few weeks.

I'll definitely fix the grammar and spelling problems, thanks for pointing those out.

EDIT- Yeah, he picks up the phone and dials, then says hello. I didn't see it as necessary to write, "He picked up the phone and dialed the number". Plus, I felt that writing that would imply that he's calling Jennifer, since he's looking at her number.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
http://www.online-literature.com/james_joyce/959/

Best I can offer. The disclaimer being that I am 99% genre at heart and don't have a good grasp of this mainstream lit stuff. But I remember this one from a while back, and I'm under the notion that I didn't give it enough credit the first time I read it.

We don't need to see things from Jennifer's or Will's wife's perspectives so much as we need to see what each one offers him.

Character development does not have to be play by play action. It helps to be careful about what action is shown and how much is shown in the act. For short stories along this vein, it may be best to choose scenes that allow for greater introspection. That's all I got, I'm afraid.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
No, thank you very much. You've been extremely helpful and I really appreciate it.

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff Jam!
Where exactly is the setting for this? general mid-west?

As for the tension...I don't know how to exactly put that on paper. I was thinking that as I wrote, what would be the best way to capture the feelings of a man who hates his life, but is too scared to change it? I'll have to tinker with it some more over the next few weeks.
Or maybe his life is like that car? He's been tinkering but can't seem to find the trouble.

quadz08

Smash Cadet
That was a very interesting story. It definitely pulled me in. I do agree with a lot of El Nino's comments though. I got no impression of a good relationship with his wife until he says "I still do love her, but do I like her," near the end, which conflicts very much with his apparent desire to stay with her. Also, he states that he is "****ed up, and doesn't know why," but this is also never really made apparent.

I do however, really like the ending a lot. I love how it ends ambiguously; you don't know which of the two women he is calling. It's very, very good.

Vro

Smash Lord
Honestly Jam, I'm not as impressed by this piece than by your other pieces or your talent alone.

Your dialogue is smooth as usual. There are a few rough patches, such as

“So? I don’t like my wife. All right, you done eating? Let’s finish this **** thing.”
It seems he changes the subject too quickly. He's obviously lying to his friend, because he honestly doesn't know his own situation. Someone in that position would have a lot more to tell not by his dialogue, but by his body actions. Including more description in the middle of this conversation, in my opinion, would help immensely.

The ending seems a little rushed. I really like the ambiguity concerning who he calls, but if you could give a little more setup to the ending, I think it'd become stronger. As of now, you just lead us to believe he's calling Jennifer until the moment he picks up the phone. I'm not sure if you wanted to make it more even in ambiguity, but if so, build up the ending more.

Honestly, I liked the setting and characters. They're all very interesting and believable. But I think if you rewrote the story, keeping basically the exact same plot, then drew from both your first draft and the rewritten one, this contest would be in the bag for you.

raul

Smash Lord
Hi Jam, I just finished reading your tale and I have posted a few comments at the bottom. I'll mention briefly that you have some mistakes with quote marks (Some are missing), which won't ruin your story, but sometimes I didn't realize I was reading dialogue.

Comments:

1.) Your strongest part of this story is the dialogue between Will, Rob and Steve. It is realistic and interesting.

2.) The phrasing of the sentences in the beginning paragraphs bother me, but I cant quite put my finger on exactly why. Maybe its the word choice or order of words, I dont know, but I think there needs to be some revision in there.

3.) As a previous poster wrote, I too would like to see Will's wife named. It would make her more real to me.

4.) Again concerning Will's wife and their relationship, I feel that if you used the remaining words you could really develop their characters. In my mind, I'm under the impression that Will may still love his wife, but he wants to experience other things, such as Jennifer, the type of woman he thought he could never have. His wife appears to be a party-girl still trapped in her days as an undergrad, partying and ditching responsibility. She also seems to be a on the slutty, as Will suggest. I would find this something to add to the charatcers and make them deeper.

Overall, I really like this. I feel that some things in the early phases of the story need to be written for flow, but other than that, pretty solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom