• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starter characters that should have been unlockable

Status
Not open for further replies.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
If the Dojo was any indication, every character revealed on the site before launch was a starter character, unless a third party or explicitly stated to be unlockable. That being said, some of the starter roster characters seem a little odd to me. I know it doesn't matter in the end, but it's still fun unlocking characters. Here are a few of my gripes:

:4greninja:-He'd have been the perfect unlockable, would have been a total surprise too. Imagine getting the "challenger approaching" screen and being like "no way!"

:4lucario:-A lot of people thought we would be cut, he'd have been a pleasant surprise.

:4luigi:-This is habit more than anything, it just feels weird having him as a starter

:rosalina:-She just screams "unlockable". I can't explain it, it would just feel right.

:4sheik:-Announce the removal of transformation characters, show Zelda, make no mention of Sheik before launch:troll:

:4wiifit:-Probably this game's "WTF" character, following in the footsteps of Ness, Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B. All of whom are unlockable

:4zss:-See Sheik:troll:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Kinda surprised you didn't have Toon Link there.... (Oh well, if hes an unlockable by any chance, then I hope he's a little less tedious to unlock compared to Brawl)

Oh well, assuming all the Nintendo characters revealed are starters, those who where pre unlockable's may have been made into starters in order to make more room for newcomer unlockables (I recall people complaining about how the majority of Brawl's unlockables where veterans and all....)

Eitherway, I think Greninja, Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer could have been unlockables but ah well... :T

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think all but Toon Link fit fine.

Greninja or Lucario perhaps, but they're not quite as much unlockable material as Jiggs or Mewtwo.

I've never quite gotten why people think Rosalina should be unlockable, she always felt like an obvious starter to me.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Kinda surprised you didn't have Toon Link there.... (Oh well, if hes an unlockable by any chance, then I hope he's a little less tedious to unlock compared to Brawl)

Oh well, assuming all the Nintendo characters revealed are starters, those who where pre unlockable's may have been made into starters in order to make more room for newcomer unlockables (I recall people complaining about how the majority of Brawl's unlockables where veterans and all....)

Eitherway, I think Greninja, Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer could have been unlockables but ah well... :T
I considered it, but Sheik and Ganon seemed like enough for unlockable Zelda characters.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I agree on some of these, although I still wonder if they really are starters or not. Sakurai may just be revealing unlockables at this point, third party or not. Idk, hard to tell. I do think Luigi should be starter, though. He deserves a spot in the game manual haha.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I get the vibe that they'll do what they did for Mario Kart and reveal the entire roster before the game releases. Then use NFC figurines or DLC to bring in more characters or something.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I get the vibe that they'll do what they did for Mario Kart and reveal the entire roster before the game releases. Then use NFC figurines or DLC to bring in more characters or something.
I recall Sakurai saying that he wasn't too keen on adding DLC. I'm still skeptical of NFC figurines being used for the game at all.
Maybe there are no unlockable characters? Maybe they're all available from the start?
Hopefully not, there's something fun about unlocking them. Maybe because it forces you to play with the starting roster first and gradually expand as you unlock characters.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Hopefully Luigi, Rosalina & Luma, Sheik, Toon Link, Lucario, Greninja, Zero Suit Samus, Ike, Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man will all be unlockable.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm thinking all the veterans shown so far are starters, except for Sonic (3rd party) and maybe Luigi (special Direct-reveal only because of Year of Luigi). The newcomers could go either way in my eyes. Out of them, I see Villager, WFT and Little Mac, at least, as starters.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Part of me has actually wondered what it would be like having everyone at once. There are a few unlock conditions that annoyed the hell out of me, like Mewtwo in Melee.
Take off time limits, two player local, leave it on overnight, wake up, finish the "battle" and then face Mewtwo. Super easy.

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
Who's to say all the announced characters are starters?

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Who's to say all the announced characters are starters?
I mentioned it in my first, post, Sakurai typically only reveals starter characters prior to launch. He even considered hidden characters spoilers on the Dojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom