• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ STARFURRY 4: TAXIDERMY EDITION ~ With Glen Tennis! - August 3rd, 2013 - Mississauga, Ontario

Free events? We'll do the highest 2.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The haghogs still have the top floor. We will obtain it in time, but for now, there's a nice downstairs room for us to use. We can't have as many people, but I'm sure it can hold 50 people comfortably. By comfortably I mean with room around us. Playing conditions are important. Anyway on to stuffs.

Here's the Facebook page for this: https://www.facebook.com/events/403994993050511/

Venue

Meadowvale South Recreation Centre
6600 Falconer Drive
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

There will be a $5 venue fee to pay for rent.

VENUE PICTURES: http://s204.photobucket.com/user/Grmo/library/Caketown Underground?sort=3&page=1

Events

Melee 1v1 - $10
Melee 2v2 - $10

Both events will have pools. These will be the only two events with an entry fee.

Payouts:

1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

I'm obviously open to suggestion for this, but this is pretty default.

Free events:

Melee Low Tier*
Super Smash Bros.

*Young Link, Link, DK, Yoshi, Zelda, Roy, Mewtwo, Game and Watch, Ness, Bowser, Pichu, and Kirby

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rules

- Bring Your Own Controller
- Items set to none
- All games are 4 stocks, 7 or 8 minutes (8 by default)
- For the first stage, you can agree on one (I recommend Battlefield), or pick random, or use stage striking
----- Stage striking means taking turns to ban stages until there's only one left. One person bans one, second bans two, first bans one more
- Loser of a match counterpicks the stage
----- refer to the handy stage lists below
- You can't counterpick to a stage you've already won on
- You can counterpick random, but only if your opponent hasn't banned a stage (for example in a best of 5 set)
- You can ban a stage before your opponent counterpicks in best of 3, but not best of 5
----- 2v2 sets have specific banning rules, see below
- Any stage can be played on as long as both players agree to it
- Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals are best of 5, all others are best of 3

- If the game times out, the winner is decided by stock, then by percentage
- In the case of a percentage tie, have a rematch.

Legalities:

- Time stalling via use of any technique that entirely removes your opponent's ability to do something about it (eg. wobbling, freeze glitches) is banned.

- Please keep it quiet while playing. Yelling in the spirit of fun is fine, but don't make your opponents uncomfortable.

Stage lists
very much copypasta'd from Cactuar's thread

Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
2v2 Specific

Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • DK 64
  • Jungle Japes
Stage Bans
  • For Best of 3 sets, each team gets 2 stage bans. Teams may ban up to one neutral stage and one counterpick stage. One team cannot ban both counterpick stages.
  • For Best of 5 sets, each team gets 1 stage ban.
  • For Best of 7 sets, there are no stage bans.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Recording/Stream

None as of now. If anyone's willing to help with this, that would be awesome, but it's not necessary.

Transportation

If you're driving, you can take the 401/407 to Mississauga Road, then head south to Argentia, turn left, and it's near the end of that road. Just look up 6600 Falconer Drive on Google Maps.

The 44 bus route does a semicircle around the venue. You can catch it from various places, including Mississauga Road and Meadowvale Town Centre.

If you're coming from Toronto, you've got several options:
- GO bus from Finch
- GO bug from Onion Station
- Sauga's Hellbound 17 1/2 Transit
- Islington to Square One, Square One to Streetsville, Streetsville to Venue

If you're coming from south of Sauga, I don't really know how to transit from there, but GO buses probably have you covered. PM me if you need help.

Housing

I can house people Friday and Saturday night. Let me know if you need housing, or you can ask around here or on the facebook page.

People so far for my house:
- Jeffman
- Idea
- The Bagel Man

Food

I'll have a place in the building set up where you can buy snacks. They'll be really cheap, don't worry. If you need meals or something, you can go to China, it's a minute's walk from the venue. Within 15 minute walk is Pizza Pizza, Burger Kong, Kentucky Fried Children, and Tim Hortons. There are also a number of places that deliver, BUT GOOD LUCK FINDING SOMETHING THAT ISN'T PIZZAlololo lol oLOLolOLo

Check out this handy treasure map of all foods in the area: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/Grmo/mapoffoods-1.png

Setups

We need these. If anyone can bring TVs or Melees or 64s or cakes, please let me know. I'm keeping track of it. So far we've got (hopefully) 10 setups. If you're reading this and can bring anything, even a copy of Melee, please do.

If you need to get in contact with me, you can through this site or facebook (Taris Tasen), and also on Steam (Gross) or Skype (Zog Malog).

Anyway, that's about it. I hope to see everyone there; this is gonna be good.

SOON

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
"- Wobbling? I'm inclined to say go for it, but let's hear from the ICs players first"

I'm probably the only ICs main that's going to attend. To be honest I don't think it really benefits me in any huge way so I don't care if it's banned (and I'm sure most others will want it to be banned)

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Keep wobbling legal.

Also, 7 minutes and ties should be decided by 1-stock, 2-minute overtime.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Don't put me down for anything but I'll try and bring a full set up seeing as I won't have to take the subway to this, just a long ass drive.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Legalize wobbling
Also I will bring a cube and melee
Yay. Thanks.

put 5$ venue... seems stupid to take away from winners.
That's true, hadn't thought of it like that. A&C charges a $5 venue fee too so I doubt anyone would have a problem with it. Besides it's a lot better than a $30 venue fee.

Don't put me down for anything but I'll try and bring a full set up seeing as I won't have to take the subway to this, just a long *** drive.
Alright cool, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

Engo

Smash Ace
Doesn't make the characters broken nor does it make them significantly better. It's escapable under 30-40 percent something like that. Against someone who knows the matchup it's pretty hard to get a grab and won't win you the match.

The only time I think it can make a significant difference is at low-mid level player where the other player probably won't be playing the IC's matchup that well and will get grabbed often but you shouldn't be banning things because of what happens at that level of play anyway.

Coffeeblack

Smash Journeyman
We just want it legal so hammertime can win

Plus party game logic dictates that mashing all buttons gets you out of any ics grabs

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
i don't care about wobbling, just want it to equal a stock and not be able to hold it until time out. Doubt anyone would do that but it's my one gripe.

Grmo

Smash Champion
So is this a 2 day event? Whats the schedule
Nope, one day. It starts at noon, so we'll do registration between then and 1 or 1:30, then start pools at 2 or so. I generally don't make schedules in advance for tournaments, because you never know until the day of how many setups you'll have, how many people enter, etc, but it'll be singles pools, doubles, probably finish singles after that, then free events. I think we have the venue from noon to midnight, but can't 100% confirm that yet.

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
For anyone who plans on taking the GO train to mississauga, I can probably pick you up from the station (Clarkson) on the day of the tourney since I live close by and then we can drive over to the venue so you can avoid having to take the bus. As of right now I have 2 spaces left in my car

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
This is probably the only tournament I'll show up at, since I live literally right outside of the venue.

Top Bottom