• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft Discussion

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Good Old Starcraft...

I got my name from Starcraft. Try to guess how!

(lulz)
Haha funny thing is that I used to trick noobs into pressing Alt F4.
Here is a good trick for noobs as well, you know in campaign mode when you enter a cheat it says "Cheat Enabled"? Well inside online multiplayer, press return to begin your message and put alot of spaces and in the middle put "Cheat Enabled".

Ex:

Infested_X: Cheat Enabled

Sure you may think "they would notice his name on the far left" but some noobs still fell for it.
It's funny when you type: Black Sheep Wall Cheat Enabled.

SloT

Smash Journeyman
it's

CtrLZerG: Show Me The Money
CtrLZerG: Cheat Enabled
and yes ,it is SUCH LOL if they start cussing you out cuz they think you hack.

EDIT: dude, gay... you cant do mass space on smashboards =(
im ready to cry ;;

SloT

Smash Journeyman
eh even if you suck, it's still fun...
as long as you dont play on east...
and /ignore the people you play so they dont do the following:
CREA: gg. ^^;
IAMPWNAGE1337: YOU SUCK STUPID NEWB HAHA
IAMPWNAGE1337 has left the game.

yea, kinda sucks when you win and all they do is wanna talk crap =/

Junpappy

Smash Lord
lol I only lose in serious matches. I hardly ever play money maps so most opponents aren't *******s about winning.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
God I hate bm noobs!!!. One time some guyc challenged me and before we started the game he was dissing me and saying my name alphicans is like sooo close to some fastest clan name (alphi) that I had to be a noob. LOL, just don't play random ppl, play with ppl u eaither know or that are in good clan channels,

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
it's

CtrLZerG: Show Me The Money
CtrLZerG: Cheat Enabled
and yes ,it is SUCH LOL if they start cussing you out cuz they think you hack.

EDIT: dude, gay... you cant do mass space on smashboards =(
im ready to cry ;;

Yeah it's prolly considered spamming anyways. :(

Rodent23

Smash Cadet
I bought the game for $10 last week and I'm partway through the Zerg campaign. I'm pretty crap, but I'd like to try against someone online. Send me a PM or something if you wanna play.

tjrook

Smash Cadet
Agin' Raisin! OMG!! I didn't know you played SC! How much do you play? I am actually really into it right now... kind of sad, because I dont play Smash nearly as much as I used to :(

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I haven't played in a loooong time. I'll probably start playing again closer to the release of SC2.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
LMAO I just bought the game couple days ago.
But I played it before. Like a million time but it wasn't mine.
So I use terran and i've been watching like Boxer and Nada play.
Anytips on how to use terran?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
AHA!!! i am Terran main, and yes I have many tips. I will give you one right now, but I can teach you in more depth online (US@West, Alphicans(rN) Channel: Op teamrain).

Tip 1.) Don't use terran. lol i am not even kidding

Alphicans

Smash Hero
No, but Terran users usually get a serious beat down untill they reach Hasu level. If you have enough patience then use them, but if u wanna own hard and fast go toss, thats y they are the most popular race. Terran is so micro intensive, you need a higher apm then any other race to be equal with them (usually).

Nuada

Smash Cadet
Wtf? Did something happen in a new patch that makes Terran anything other than top tier?
Sorry, couldn't help but laugh at the tier comment... "tier" is a nonexistent term in StarCraft, maybe if there were more than three races, such as in AOE, but :p

StarCraft is probably the most ballanced RTS game to date. Terran is just harder to play. Protoss is the easiest.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Really? I always found Zerg more micro-intensive then Terran.
The only thing more micro intensive about zerg is dark swarms. Other than that it's pretty much a pretty macro based race. And attacking is usually just send all units in for a brawl (unless lurkers).

Oh and I guess mutas take some micro, but not that much.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Zerg are the best race. Terran take too long to tech up to and Protoss are cheap for their stupid psy storms (argh my zerglings and hydralisks!!!!) >:(

Rodent23

Smash Cadet
I havn't actually played the Protoss yet since I bought the game, but out of the Terrans and Zerg, I like the Terrans. I don't care if they take too long to tech up, they have guns and guns are cooler than claws.

Zerg rushes are pretty satisfying however.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Yay Zerg! Hopefully they keep the no-limit-to-units-selected idea for SC2. I tried to attack the computer with 400 lings but just over 120 is way to difficult to manage. >_> Still won though :D

I've been wondering and I'm too lazy to sign up for TL.net so I guess I'll ask here. What's a generic/basic build order for zerg? As is I just rush either muta or lurker and then the computer dies. I keep seeing this mention of 3 hatch build but I don't really know what that's good for/what it does.

To be a bit more specific:
Sometimes I go extractor first or spawning pool
Then lair
Den
Lurkers
???
Profit

For muta rushes, I don't build Den, I build another hatchery and then spire

And what's a good build order for Terran? My brother and I play 2v2 comps and he's Terran, we're both complete noobs, just having gotten to the point where we can beat computers. So far I've told him to build barracks first, then supply, another barracks, supply, academy for M&M's, then fac for tanks. By then, he just masses M&M's and tanks and I mass something + lings and we win.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Ok here it comes. (when i say random numbers it means wat psi u are at).

Zerg build for Terran:

10 hatch(expansion)
12 pool
14 extractor
Den whenever u feel it is right
Lair the same time as den maybe a lil before
Lurkers instanty after lair is built

From this point do w/e u want but you wanna end up going the route of mass expansions and ultralisks and defilers.

Zerg build vs Protoss. (this is wat i usually do).

10 hatch (expansion)
11 pool
12 extractor
14 den
Hydra upgrades
Ling speed upgrade

Hydras are the main unit for ZvP but lings are important as well. Try to keep the count of lings the same has hydras (maybe a lil bit more) and contain protoss! Expand alot and keep toss from expanding, cause when toss expands they will over run you so fast. You can tech any way you wanna, you can get some guards, lurkers, ultras, w/e but make sure you always have hydras as your bread and butter.

Those are my Zerg build, they might be a lil off from exact numbers, and thats because i am a terran main. Ask CtrlZerg for percise builds.

Now for My Terran builds.

Terran vs Protoss. (my best m/u).

9 supply depot
10-11 barracks
11-12 refinery
14-16 factory
19 chine
seige upgrade
build 2 tanks
expand at around 24-26
engineer bay
do w/e you want from here.

Now the conventional terran unit army are tanks vultures and a tiny bit of goliaths. Make sure vultures have mines and speed upgrades, and make sure gols have range. ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!! have an armory before the 14 min mark. Carriers can catch you off guard. Pushing out takes practice but it's pretty straight forward, unseige tanks move up lay mines seige again lay more mines, repeat untill toss army is dead ^^.

Terran vs Zerg

9 supply depot
10 barracks
13 barracks
18 refinery
23 acadamey
23 engineer bay
30 expand.

This m/u is pretty much just marines and medics, with tanks. Get your scanner up and scan the tech of zerg. If you see spire then get turrets up asap at mining areas. If you see a den being built, dual factory with chine shops for tanks. Get scivess late game with irridate (it pwns ultras) and get dual upgrades for marines. Terran doesn't need alot of expansions in this m/u because they are so efficient vs zerg. 1 expansion will pretty much fend off a 3 expansion zerg. If you can get 2 expansions mid game, then you are most likely ahead in eco. This game takes alot of micro management and is THE most micro intensive match up by far. Becareful for darkswarm mid-late game and make sure you have alot of scanners. Also hotkeys are really important.

Those are my match up explinations (ruling out mirror matches) and these builds require constant worker building especially for Terran. GLHFGG

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well there are two types of pushes.

1.) the Ballsack push

2.) the Stairway push.

I use the ballsack push. It is pretty much when you have enough units you unload and take all your army and head straithgt for protoss. It takes good spacing and make sure you can before you go so you don't seige to late. Pretty much move out and have vultures lay mines around the sides of your army (make it so you army is travelling in the boarders of the mines). When you see enemy protoss immediatly seige your tanks, and since you have mines around your sides, the flank will not be as devestating. have your vultures go to where there are the most enemy units so they can absorb the hits.

The stairway push is rarely used, and should only be used if you wanna slowly advanced to toss's main when you are close to it. It can however be a primary push IF your micro is god like. It is executed just as it sounds. Unseige half your tanks move them up so they are still in range of your other tanks and then seige em. Once they are seiged take the other half and do the same. Repeat this step untill you have toss pinned to an area and then they will attack. This technique is effective because it can ruin a toss flank, and puts you in controll. It is very hard to pull off and can fail horribly, but try it anyways it is very fun.

D

Deleted member

I gotta find my BW CD... :(... I have it installed, but no CD=no play... if anyone has a solution where I can play w/o CD, please tell me...

Rushing mutas are risky, particularly since a good Marine/Medic combo or Dragoons back by Cannons can make it really tough for mutas to be successful, since their range is pathetic... I usually back any muta rush with hydras and random lings to distract enemies, and avoid all AA turrets...

Jazriel

Smash Ace
You can probably find a no-cd loader or somesuch. I use it to play WCIII on B.net and it works fine so I would assume that you can find one for SC:BW and it would let you play on B.net fine as well.

Are most of you guys on USWest? I'm on USEast and I wouldn't mind having a match or two though I'm really bad, so me and 6 computers versus one of you? :p

Alphicans

Smash Hero
heh. cpus are surprisingly good on low money maps :p. Not that i can't completly destroy them, but i was once a fastest players and the cpus on those maps are so bad compared to low money cpus. So 6 cpus would totally **** me ( i know you were kidding).

SloT

Smash Journeyman
alphicans, just wanted to let you know i've been FREAKING BUSY PAST FEW DAYS
but yea.. .also tell Nal_PsycO i'll be on soon.. just need to finish some of my school crap and i'll be on ;p
later~

P.S.
Protoss is the easiest race, but not by much. They are simply VERY DIFFERANT. terran cant be good unless the person has a lot of experience with it but once you are good with it, you can totally **** =P. Zerg is relatively balanced, and has a steady improvement rate. Protoss you improve quickly in the beggining and then you hit a wall (that usually has something to do with your macro) and its a pain to get past it =P
all in all, starcraft is excessively balanced, and really i shouldnt be saying which race is easiest or which is hardest, because in my opinion they are VERY Close.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
I always thought personally that Z was the hardest race to learn. I don't see how you could say P is "VERY DIFFERENT". Look at Z for a second and look how they expo/peon production. Thats nothing like P or T at all o.O.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
heh. cpus are surprisingly good on low money maps :p. Not that i can't completly destroy them, but i was once a fastest players and the cpus on those maps are so bad compared to low money cpus. So 6 cpus would totally **** me ( i know you were kidding).
;) Lol, I would love to see what a pro StarCraft player would do 1v7 comps or some ridiculous odds like that. Make them all protoss and watch them all send in ~20 Zealots at ~5 minutes. lol

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I always thought personally that Z was the hardest race to learn. I don't see how you could say P is "VERY DIFFERENT". Look at Z for a second and look how they expo/peon production. Thats nothing like P or T at all o.O.
Well Zerg may look like the most differant, but terran and zerg's peon uses are very similar. They both require a worker to take all their attention to the building. Protoss also have sheilds. Zergs have regenerative bodies but terran can eaither repair or be healed, so it evens out there. Although you are right, Protoss is not very differant, all the races are similar to eachother in one aspect or another, but protoss has some pretty wacked out unit balances, which is probabily why i would agree with ctrlzerg on this one

Jazriel

Smash Ace
I bought the game for $10 last week and I'm partway through the Zerg campaign. I'm pretty crap, but I'd like to try against someone online. Send me a PM or something if you wanna play.
Hey, whisper me on USEast *Jazriel if you wanna play some 1v1's or 2v2's vs comps or something. I'm just as bad as you are so it'd be good ^_^

Top Bottom