• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standing Grab Visualization

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Smash4GrabVisualPaintRESIZED.png

Something I wanted to share. I was inspired by Floor from the Marth forum and sjb.dario from the Palutena forum to do this. If you need to, you can right-click the image, click "Open image in new tab", and view it there.

Last edited:

Quappo

Smash Rookie
If you're interested in looking at start up vs end lag to figure out which grabs are better to try and stuff early and which are better to punish on whiff, you may find these two figures I made about half a year ago useful. (some numerical discrepancies are because I calculated endlag starting from the frame after the first active frame, not after the last active frame, which was just for convenience at the time -- I'd consider your numbers more informative)

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
If you're interested in looking at start up vs end lag to figure out which grabs are better to try and stuff early and which are better to punish on whiff, you may find these two figures I made about half a year ago useful. (some numerical discrepancies are because I calculated endlag starting from the frame after the first active frame, not after the last active frame, which was just for convenience at the time -- I'd consider your numbers more informative)

I'm actually following you on Twitter and LOVE that you do Smash statistics visuals! I saw your compilation of Anther's Ladder charts, your tier tist Decline/Increase chart (the one that compared the two official tier lists), and maybe more that I can't remember. At one point, I couldn't remember your name to find you and I had hoped you'd make more Stat pics in the future :D

Last edited:

Quappo

Smash Rookie
I'm actually following you on Twitter and LOVE that you do Smash statistics visuals! I saw your compilation of Anther's Ladder charts, your tier tist Decline/Increase chart (the one that compared the two official tier lists), and maybe more that I can't remember. At one point, I couldn't remember your name to find you and I had hoped you'd make more Stat pics in the future :D
Aw, thanks so much! Those kind words really go a long ways in keeping motivation up :)
I was on hiatus for a while for a few reasons after the tier list evolution figure, but I think I'm back in the saddle now, and hopefully I'll be able to build off the momentum I got from character usage charts that were reasonably popular last week.

On topic though, I really love the representation of grab frame data you've got here, and I think you should be really proud of this image. Combined with the frame data visualization project thread, I may start poking around with the kurogane hammer API again to see if there's a good way to automate generation of these types of figures so I can easily make one for each character or each type of (reasonably comparable) move. I don't think it'll really work out because of how the active hitboxes and names are stored as inconsistently formatted strings, but either way, I definitely want to see more stuff like this!

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Aw, thanks so much! Those kind words really go a long ways in keeping motivation up :)
I was on hiatus for a while for a few reasons after the tier list evolution figure, but I think I'm back in the saddle now, and hopefully I'll be able to build off the momentum I got from character usage charts that were reasonably popular last week.

On topic though, I really love the representation of grab frame data you've got here, and I think you should be really proud of this image. Combined with the frame data visualization project thread, I may start poking around with the kurogane hammer API again to see if there's a good way to automate generation of these types of figures so I can easily make one for each character or each type of (reasonably comparable) move. I don't think it'll really work out because of how the active hitboxes and names are stored as inconsistently formatted strings, but either way, I definitely want to see more stuff like this!
It's good that you're back! :D And thanks! :) How long did the Anther's Ladder charts take you since there's 58 characters in the game? O . O

Quappo

Smash Rookie
the plots themselves didn't take too long since I make them with a script, so that's all automated. The annotations took forever though since that actually required researching and manually adding notes for each character

Top Bottom