• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stamina!

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
Okay folks, has it been established how this Stamina works for the Pokemon Trainer? I haven't seen this discussed anywhere. Since we've heard you can now select you starting Pokemon on the select screen I'm curious to the details of Stamina.

I've heard all it is a 2 minute time limit for the Pokemon, so in theory I can start as little ol' Squirtle, play for 2 minutes then have to change to Ivysaur. So then I can force 2 more changes with the Pokemanz'' down + B'' which is just like Zeldas change right?

So effectivley you can play with the same Pokemon for the whole match! :bee:

i think... :ohwell:

EDIT OF ALMIGHTYNESS!;

Hey YOU! Just entered!? Answer this Punk! >_<

Looks like this is almost solved. All we need to know now is what happens when your Pokemon are fatigued? Do they move slower? Are they weaker? Or does it just force you to change?

larg0

Smash Cadet
yeah this is the biggest question mark when it comes to PT...in the PT FAQ, they seem to say there was no noticeable stamina effect, but that it just took a long time to switch pokemon. but that doesnt make any sense to me...wasnt the whole point of stamina to force the player to switch between pokemon? if it worked like that, then it would essentially force players to STAY as a certain pokemon, wouldnt it?

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
1. If it runs out, the pokemon currently out becomes slower and IIRC they show visible signs of being tired
2. Not visible
3. ...Nothing?

Thank you Kenji.

Am I correct in thinking that once the fatiuged Pokemon is switched, the Stamina meter is completly refilled? Effectivly one you Pokemon has reached it's limit, you can quickly switch twice more to return to him. Without no disadvantage? So it would be possible to play as the same pokemon for the whole battle?

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
Am I correct in thinking that once the fatiuged Pokemon is switched, the Stamina meter is completly refilled? Effectivly one you Pokemon has reached it's limit, you can quickly switch twice more to return to him. Without no disadvantage? So it would be possible to play as the same pokemon for the whole battle?
No, that would be rather illogical. They would not do that, otherwise what's the point of such an original character when you can play as one of the multiple characters the whole battle? The stamina would start to replenish overtime, by the time one of the other Pokemon were low on Stamina and the other was about halfway, I could see the first one recovering all of its energy.

In order to master the Pokemon Trainer, you must master the art of switching out at the right moments, to keep the most stamina, without over-switching, due to lowering your stamina as well. It is a complicated matter that we have yet to figure out how to control. Only time will tell how to switch effectively.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Plus despite all the invinciblity frames there doesn't seem as many at the end of the move; I remember in one video they got punished pretty badly, so just be careful with your placing I guess.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
A Pokémon needs twice as much recovery time as it was active, hence why you have 3 of them...

Though the stamina is reset if you get KO'd.

Those are my theories.

2azn4u

Smash Rookie
I read somewhere it's been confirmed that after 2 minutes of constant gameplay a pokemon is slowed and shows signs of fatigue, charizard holding his head and wings lower for example. It's just apparent in most videos because a lot of people play 2 minute brawls.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
yeah.. Ivysaur wilts and squirtle pants.... but unless you are standing still, you can't tell so that sucks

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
First off, thank you EVERYONE for your input! Now we know for a fact there is a 2 minuiteish time limit, your Pokemon shows sign of fatigue. Also Stamia is refilled when you are K.O'd.

A Pokémon needs twice as much recovery time as it was active, hence why you have 3 of them...

Though the stamina is reset if you get KO'd.

Those are my theories.
Now this is what I really want to know! The recovery time....tricky buisness to check... :ohwell:

Even MORE important is what does Stamina do? Do you move slower? Are you weaker? I haven't seen much difference between a fatigued Squirtle and a normal Squirtle fighing....

Shin_Gale

Smash Rookie
I played Pokemon Trainer for about three or four hours the other day, and I didn't notice a significant difference in my pokemon if I kept them out longer. Of course, I never kept them still long enough to notice the fatigue signs.

Unless you wanna get punished something hardcore, you won't be able to down-B twice in a row to get to your original pokemon again. The move just takes WAY too long to consider that. Think of something that's slightly less slow than Jigg's Sing.

True, you get a lot of invincibility frames while changing, but when you come out you still have a little big of lag, and we all know how punishable a tiny bit of lag can be.

I'd advise changing pokemon right after knocking back an opponent far away, or tossing him away with a throw. Other than that, I was able to dodge projectiles, and even FS's by changing pokemon, so it works pretty good as a very very long down dodge too.

PanamaConMan

Smash Cadet
It doesn't hurt your pokemon if you switch too quick. What nobody realizes is that Sakurai said it could tire them if you switch too quick because you need to give them time to recover, it doesn't hurt them, you just don't let them recover. So you could switch pokemon every 5 seconds and it wouldn't make a difference on their stamina(not recommended).

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
Looks like this is almost solved. All we need to know now is what happens when your Pokemon are fatigued? Do they move slower? Are they weaker? Or does it just force you to change?

quazer games

Smash Rookie
Your move would have less knockback and deal less damage

...except for Ivysaur's Forward-B, it's not affected by stamima

Top Bottom