• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stale your moves, or mix them up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Warning Received
Which would you do? Would you mix up your moves to avoid making them stale, or stale one particular move? State the reason for your decision?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Which would you do? Would you mix up your moves to avoid making them stale, or stale one particular move? State the reason for your decision?
It really depends. Most of the time, if a move is effective, I'll try to make the most out of that move. But I won't continuously use that move alone. It becomes too predictable, and stale as a rock.

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
Combo/damage moves? I could care less. Kill moves? Yeah, don't stale those.
For the most part, the drawbacks from staling combo/damage moves is insignificant in my opinion, unless you have multiple moves that can serve the same function just as well as the other. For example, if I choose to use a forward air after down throwing multiple times, I get more percent out of using and staling it than if I choose to avoid using the forward air after the throw to not stale it and avoid the percent reduction. If you want to be perfect/optimal though, there is no harm in going for an up air that does a similar percent if it reaches the same places as the forward air, for example. In combos, knockback is rarely a good thing anyway, so that part is of no concern. Exception: moves that you depend on to do moderate knockback, like get-off-me nairs. Even then, though, it is rarely significant enough to mean anything unless you outright spam it.

For KO options, you obviously don't want to stale these. You need as much knockback and percent to come out of these as possible in order to kill. Doesn't really need any more of an explanation than that.

These are just my opinions though, I'm sure others might have different mindsets on it.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Depends. There are moves that are so absurdly strong, like Falco's back air and Roy's forward smash, that don't get affected too heavily by staling, then there are unconventional, situational kill moves like Jigglypuff's neutral air, that you want to not stale when you're desperate for a kill.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Staling can be useful in certain situations, i.e. you want to reduce knockback to increase combo potential.

It isn't as simple as "staling is objectively bad". It can be useful if you know how to apply it in a beneficial sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom