• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Staggering! Flame Stag's Tournament Reports (Mega Man Tournament Results)

BBC7

Smash Ace
Hmm.. It's hard to say. It could count, but it depends.
Tell us a bit more about how it all went down - planning and everything.
It was mostly planned by a friend who plays Project M and Melee competitively and is looking to play Smash 4 competitively as well from what I've heard. He's been to a few tournaments and is actually going to an Apex qualifier hosted by Toronto Joe which is definitely proof that he is determined. The tournament was double elimination and the people who attended were notified a week before the tournament started, so it is sort of legitimate in the sense that it was planned by somebody who plays Smash at a rather high level.

Points against it counting are the fact that many people who showed up were casual so the only tough competition ended up being the Top 4. Not to mention that the tournament doesn't even have a name and in its most basic form, it's just a bunch of high school kids playing Smash which may be hard to take seriously. You wouldn't even be able to find the results anywhere online like you would for another tournament. Getting 1st is still an achievement although a rather minor one at that and I don't see it being put up on the last.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Everyone doesn't have to count as top-players for it to count as a legitimate tourney.
There are a lot of less good players in lots of tourneys.

If there were some really good players, a bunch of good players and a bunch of less good players, I dont see a problem.

I think it's up to you to decide if it belongs in the OP. What do you say?

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
Everyone doesn't have to count as top-players for it to count as a legitimate tourney.
There are a lot of less good players in lots of tourneys.

If there were some really good players, a bunch of good players and a bunch of less good players, I dont see a problem.

I think it's up to you to decide if it belongs in the OP. What do you say?
I guess you can put it up.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
11/14/14
Hitbox Arena
Place: 1st
Entrants: 6
Record (5-0)

11/21/14
Hitbox Arena
Place: 2nd
Entrants: 8
Record (6-1)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Been a while. I have some records to give out.

Shockwave 7 (Last 3DS event)
11/14/2014
Place: 4th
Entrants: 18

Shockwave 8 (First Wii U event)
11/21/2014
Place: 5th
Entrants: 19

What can I say? The Wii U version I feel like has drastically increased how good Mega Man is. His buster game is so much more reliable and he still retains the same strong early stock combo game from earlier. Mega Man's D-Smash also feels excellent and the Wii U stages play into his favor. I felt pretty good about Mega Man. I also went Wario at Shockwave 8 because I love that character too. (It was still 90% Mega Man)

I have an amazing set that every Mega Main will get hyped over........Stay tuned!

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
Been a while. I have some records to give out.

Shockwave 7 (Last 3DS event)
11/14/2014
Entrants: 18

Shockwave 8 (First Wii U event)
11/21/2014
Place: 5th
Entrants: 19

What can I say? The Wii U version I feel like has drastically increased how good Mega Man is. His buster game is so much more reliable and he still retains the same strong early stock combo game from earlier. Mega Man's D-Smash also feels excellent and the Wii U stages play into his favor. I felt pretty good about Mega Man. I also went Wario at Shockwave 8 because I love that character too. (It was still 90% Mega Man)

I have an amazing set that every Mega Main will get hyped over........Stay tuned!
I feel this way too. I don't know if it's just me, but the removal of vectoring makes Bair feel a whole lot stronger now. I've been killing Bowser off-stage at 110% compared to 1.0.3 when I was killing Mario at around 120% off-stage.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Just made 3rd at Alpha Attack in Cinci, OH going about 60/40 Megaman and Ganon (Actually should have used more Ganon against Link. I didn't realize how much the removal of rush canceling would affect that matchup).

So yeah:

Alpha Attack
11/22/14
Entrants: 25-ish? (Don't have an exact number; hopefully this one will actually get a results thread)
Placed: 3rd

Sadly no videos, which is a shame considering the hype match I had against a Mario in Winner's Semi (Came back from a 2 stock deficit, then went Ganon when he brought me to BF in a match that went to last stock last hit and we both had at least one tech that saved us from death.)

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Alright, finally entered a tournament.

Joker's Monthly
11/22/2014
Place: 2nd
Entrants: 17? 18? One or the other. EDIT: (I'll be sure to get the bracket).

Grand Finals was recorded and I'll post them when they're up (went to game 5). I made a few "big" mistakes, but I think I had some very decent play going on. Lost to Diddy, but I think I could've won had I made those better decisions. I still have a long way to go, but for now, I'll happily take 2nd at our monthly.

I'd love some input on the videos when I do post them!

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I know we're not counting online tournaments, but I won the last one hosted by the Penny Arcade boards using only Mega Man, so that's pretty rad.

http://challonge.com/gntsmash8

I wish the DC/MD/VA area had more Smash4 tournaments -- seems like all of them are still running Melee or ProjectM.

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
Well I dunno if ill ever place this well again so might as well post now

KTAR XI
11/22/14
4th place
Entrants: 160

My sets against Dabuz, Will, and M2K were recorded and will be on the VGBC youtube at some point surely. Unfortunately the set I won against M2K in winners wasnt recorded but the set in losers was really close so its alright.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456

KTAR XI
11/22/14
4th place

My sets against Dabuz, Will, and M2K were recorded and will be on the VGBC youtube at some point surely. Unfortunately the set I won against M2K in winners wasnt recorded but the set in losers was really close so its alright.
Damn dude, and you went all MM? Really interested in seeing how you played these matchups.

Diddy is tough for me.

Congrats btw!

Last edited:

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
Yeah I had 3 singles sets recorded, some doubles, and even a silly 4v4 set recorded. You could find them all right now if you searched through the VGBC past broadcasts, though they will be on youtube soon enough.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Definitely looking forward to seeing those sets. You should be immensely proud of yourself, Zucco. :)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Denti's Bizarre Adventure II (Singles)
11/29/2014
Place: 13th
Entrants: 32

Denti's Bizarre Adventure II (Doubles)
11/29/2014
Place: 7th
Teams: 11

Didn't do that well today and went 2-2 in singles bracket. I won against :4falcon:/:4sonic: and :4shulk: and lost to :4diddy: and :4tlink: The sets I lost were close but my bad shield habit and struggling against Bombs and Zair really made the difference. It's frustrating to lose to matches you figure you should win. I'm kicking myself for not banning FD/Omega as the Toon Link (was actually my doubles partner) had complete freedom with his bomb and tether game. Forcing him to go to T&C or BF could have easily made the difference. Lesson learned!

I don't have singles videos from this event but I do have a doubles match that I would like someone to review and give pointers to. I don't think I am very good at doubles. Hopefully I don't fall into irrelevancy just because I don't own a Wii U and work full time. I would hate to have all my hard work the last 2 months go to waste. :\

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
I'm about a month late, but

Youmacon 2014 11/1/14
3DS Midwest Regional
Singles: 17th of 66

Used Mega Man the whole way. I was one match away from stream so no videos sorry ;(

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I don't have enough time to run this thread atm. Does anybody want to run it?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, I don't even have time to go find my own results, let alone run this thread (And still a billion years behind on my crash bomb video XD ).

Feryn Hyrk

Smash Rookie

KTAR XI
11/22/14
4th place

I just saw your fight on youtube, you are a Mega Man god, can't believe you're even here in smashboards talking to us D:

This battle of yours here against Mew2King is freakin' sick:

I have few posts so I can't post a link so here is the final part of the youtube link: watch?v=BjZVP9-ruOg

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Shockwave 9
(12/5/2014)
Singles Place: 13th
Doubles Place: 3rd
Entrants: 28
Teams: 7

Shockwave 10
(12/12/2014)
Singles Place: 9th
Doubles Place: 5th
Entrants: 39
Teams: 11

I feel like I have fell off a bit in placing but having more players come out gives me an opportunity to understand that this will ultimately help me. Still struggle with Diddy but I am going to dedicate this week to showing up to Smashfests and get a clear understanding on how to win that MU. I'm kind of upset I didn't get the opportunity to go to TCG II. The car pool just didn't work out. For sure next time and I am in the process of finding a way to get to that San Antonio tournament.

Hopefully I can continue building on this. I don't know where I stand in comparison to other Mega Man players, but I know that I need to really start working on capitalizing on the opportunities provided to me. I have the skill to break through, it just isn't fully coming together.

Greward

Smash Lord
LVP Gamergy 2
(12/5-7/2014)
2nd place
over 300 entrants (no exact number)
Custom moves and miis banned
No losers brackets

A lot of people, got some nice cash. Lost in GF against a C. Falcon player 0-3, and i was near to lose against a ROB and a Diddy (I pulled a pocket diddy kong to go for the ditto after i was 1-1). Also beat other notorious players using King DDD, Rosalina and Ness.
This tournament taught me a lot. I don't know if I'll have videos (wiiUs were property of Nintendo).
I'm not really sure about keeping on playing Mega Man after this tournament, despite the good position. He feels lacking, specially on the killing department. Lots of time I had to rely on time strategies to get the win, because most of his kill moves have a big commitment, and thus i had to end up killing with back throw lots of times. Time outs felt like one of the best strat to go with mega man because of this, although not a lot of games ended up being time outs, the time pressure makes them rush aggro and thus letting me get some smash attack or uppercut in.

Abortion Doc

Smash Cadet
I attended Super Smash Saturdays, a SoCal Smash 4 tournament 12/20/14. Managed to nab 9th place out of 69 entrants in my first tournament going all Mega Man. Notable entrants included Zero, Larry (DEHF), Tearbear, Xzax, and Rich Brown. I think I could've nabbed 7th if not for a couple unfortunate SDs.

Feeling good!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Shockwave 11
(12/5/2014)
Singles Place: 7th
Doubles Place: N/A
Entrants: 34
Teams: N/A

Shockwave 12
(1/2/2015)
Singles Place: 4th
Doubles Place: 3rd ($14.00 total)
Entrants: 46
Teams: 14

Won an unrecorded time out against a Greninja on game 3 (43% to 44%) Aside from that, nothing else really stood out. I felt like I placed where I deserved. Losing to a Bowser sucked (especially with mis-timed platform SD on T&C) but I felt good about performance. My patience is beginning to flourish. Also bracket mix up had me seeded 46 and dead last.

Last edited:

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
Just got back from my first offline tournament. Did pretty well I think. I was knocked out of winners by a local pro (PikaPika!, good Pikachu player), and then lost in losers Semis to Ras (Another local pro, plays as Ike, really talented). I'm hoping to get some more tournaments in before Apex, but the Smash 4 scene where I am is pretty stagnant (Syracuse, NY). I had to drive 1.5 hours to Rochester to play in this one. Still, a good experience.

Flexin' on 'Em!
01/10/2015
Entrants: 25
Record (4-2)
http://rochesterfgc.challonge.com/FoESmash4

EDIT: Posted Challonge page.

Last edited:

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
Smash 4 Wii U Beta Test Tournament in Ohio
17th, 64 player Double Elimination on January 16th, 2015,lost to Mew2King haha

Top Cut Comics, Chicago
13th, 140 player Double Elimination on January 25th, 2015, got out played by Sanic.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
TGZ Smash 4 Singles 2/21
10th place, out of 63 competitors
The Gaming Zone, Arizona

I also played :4sonic: at least once, but for the majority of the time I used :4greninja: and :4megaman: (I just realized my 3 favorite characters are all blue, and ironically blue is my favorite color haha). As Mega Man...

I won against:
:4villager:
:4mario:
:132:

Beaten by:
:4sonic: SamuraiPanda (you may know him as mod in the competitive play forums)

Been playing the Blue Bomber a lot more lately, and I'm not even sure who I want to be my 2ndary anymore. The Blue Bomber or The Blue Blur, decisions, decisions..

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
2 tournaments:

TGZ Singles
3/7/15
Singles place: 17th out of 58
Custom moves place: 5th out of 22 (I used Danger Wrap, Plant Barrier, and Skull Barrier)

Used Mega Man for the majority of both tournaments, and surprisingly I didn't use my actual main, :4greninja:, at all yesterday, I didn't confident enough with him for some matchups.

For the customs bracket, I used the Blue Bomber almost exclusively since I'm more used to his customs than I am with my other characters right now, the only other character I did use was :4palutena: in one set. I did pretty well for the most part, but got knocked out by a :4shulk: and a :4rob:. Danger Wrap didn't help me stop Shulk from aerial approaching me, because his Fair would just cut through it with its disjoint and I didn't have that many opportunities where it worked. And I underestimated The Hyper Mondado arts, Buster mode did a load of chip damage and destroyed my shield before he finished me off with a fully charged smash attack at like 56% on Smash mode. As for R.O.B. the player I faced against pretty much always beats me, and this character is basically one I have trouble beating in general. ROB is one of my archenemies right now competitively, I hate fighting him :glare:

For singles, I used Mega Man for the first half, but after being beaten by a:4tlink: named reptar (And normally, I beat said player most of the time, and I'm gonna prepare to shift the odds back in my favor next time. I switched to :4sonic: for the rest of the torunament I.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I just returned from 2 week hiatus to play three straight tournaments:

Epic Game Lounge Weekly
3/5/2015
Finished: 2nd (4-2)
Entrants: 17
Bracket: http://epicgamingleague.challonge.com/Sm4shweekly

TLOC presents Shockwave! 19
3/6/2015
Finished: 5th
Entrants: 46
Bracket: http://tloc.challonge.com/sw19

Fight Me IRL (Southwest Aftershock Qualifier)
3/7/2015
Finished: 5th
Entrants: 55
Doubles: 5th out of 14 (w/ :4myfriends:)
Bracket: http://tloc.challonge.com/fmirls4s

Taking a break from Smash Bros all together was probably the best decision ever made. It really got me thinking about other things and made it less of a distraction. Most consistent and best results I have ever done. Lot of content to get critiqued too.

Top Bottom